Connect with us

Sports

Broncos’ Kendall Hinton QB experiment falls short against Saints’ defence – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


DENVER — Taysom Hill didn’t look much like an NFL quarterback Sunday when the Denver Broncos held him to 78 yards passing, intercepted him once and sacked him three times.

Despite a paltry passer rating of 43.2, it wasn’t Hill who looked out of position in a game New Orleans won handily 31-3 for their first win over the Broncos since Dec. 24, 1994.

It was Broncos QB Kendall Hinton who looked lost _ and for good reason: until Sunday he was a practice squad receiver, and he was forced into action when all of Denver’s quarterbacks were disqualified over coronavirus concerns.

By comparison, Hill looked like Tom Brady.

“Taysom played this thing just how I wanted him to play it, and it doesn’t have to be esthetically pleasing to be effective,” Saints coach Sean Payton said. “The job is to win and he did a good job of that.”

In a grind-it-out slugfest like from pro football’s early days, the Saints won their second straight game with Hill subbing for the injured Drew Brees. But Hill wasn’t nearly as sharp as a week earlier against the Falcons, when he completed 18 of 23 passes for 233 yards and a 108.9 passer rating.

Hill did run for 44 yards and two touchdowns against the Broncos and Latavius Murray rushed for 124 yards and two scores to help the NFC-leading Saints (9-2) overcome a slow start and win for the eighth straight time.

“The game plan changed the last 24 hours. So, my mindset changed as well and I really became a game manager at that point and certainly the way Sean called the game reflected that,” Hill said. “We’re not going to take any unnecessary risks and put the defence in a bad situation.”

The Broncos (4-7) were forced to play without any of their four quarterbacks because of coronavirus concerns, so they promoted Hinton from their practice squad two hours before kickoff.

“When I got the call it was pure excitement,” Hinton said. “Of course, there was nerves and disbelief but the encouragement the team gave me … made it a lot easier for me.”

The former Wake Forest quarterback who converted to wide receiver his senior year went just 1-for-9 for 13 yards with a sack, two interceptions and a passer rating of zero.

“He did everything he could,” Broncos coach Vic Fangio said. “That was a big, big ask.”

The Broncos (4-7) also sprinkled in some wildcat snaps to running backs Royce Freeman and Phillip Lindsay, who left in the second half with a knee injury.

The Broncos were thrust into this quarterback quandary when their passers failed to wear masks as mandated by the NFL’s COVID-19 protocol last week.

Starting quarterback Drew Lock, backup Brett Rypien and practice squad veteran Blake Bortles were disqualified over the weekend when the NFL discovered the three weren’t wearing masks around each other before No. 3 QB Jeff Driskel tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday.

The Broncos managed 37 yards and a single first down before heading into halftime down 17-0 after the Saints scored twice off turnovers in the final 2:22 of the second quarter.

Centre Lloyd Cushenberry III’s low snap skittered past Lindsay and Kwon Alexander was headed for the end zone after scooping it up. Broncos left tackle Garett Bolles, who signed a four-year, $68 million extension Saturday, tripped him up at the 23.

Hill, who scored from 1 yard in the first quarter, added a 2-yard TD run to make it 14-0. Two plays later, Janoris Jenkins intercepted Hinton’s underthrown pass to DaeSean Hamilton, and that set up Wil Lutz’s 40-yard field goal as the clock expired.

It took Brandon McManus’ 58-yard field goal to keep the Broncos from getting shut out at home for the first time ever _ 465 games.

The field goal was set up by another undrafted Wake Forest rookie, cornerback Essang Bassey, who returned an interception 26 yards to the Saints 40-yard line in the third quarter.

HILTON’S DEBUT

The Broncos tried to persuade the NFL to delay the game to Monday or Tuesday night like the Ravens-Steelers game was pushed back from Thanksgiving after a virus outbreak on the Ravens. When that failed, they turned to Hilton, who played quarterback his first three seasons at Wake Forest before moving to receiver in 2019, when he caught 73 passes for 1,001 yards and four touchdowns.

He signed with Denver as an undrafted free agent and spent all of training camp with the Broncos before being waived on Sept. 5. He rejoined the practice squad on Nov. 4.

Hinton’s last touchdown pass came on Oct. 7, 2017, against Clemson, which is more recently than Hill, whose last TD throw was on Nov. 26, 2016, for BYU against Utah State.

BRONCOS’ REACTIONS

An hour before kickoff, Lock tweeted an explanation and a mea culpa in which he admitted the QBs weren’t wearing their masks when they gathered Wednesday.

While some players such as tight end Noah Fant were incredulous over the league forcing Denver to play a game without any of its QBs, other Broncos took the news in stride.

Von Miller and Bradley Chubb both made posts comically suggesting they could play quarterback, and the team’s Twitter account even had a mock request inquiring if Nuggets supreme passer Nikola Jokic might be available.

On Saturday night, Fant also tweeted, “Anybody know if Peyton Manning is busy tomorrow? Laughing but serious”

INJURIES:

Saints placed backup G Derrick Kelly on the reserve/COVID-19 list Sunday.

UP NEXT

Saints: visit Atlanta for the second leg of a three-week road trip.

Broncos: Visit Kansas City to try snapping a 10-game losing streak to the Chiefs.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Canadian Bills fans revel in team's success despite agony of being parked at home – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Once again, Jason Tangorra, Wayne Kretz and Leslie Churchill will be glued to their respective television sets watching the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night.

And once again, their hearts will be in Orchard Park, N.Y.

The three Canadians are Buffalo season-ticket holders and they’re reveling in the Bills’ success this year. But they’re unable to attend games in Western New York due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has closed the border to non-essential travel.

That couldn’t come at a worse time for fans of an NFL team that hasn’t tasted playoff success in decades.

Buffalo (13-3) finished atop the AFC East Division this season to secure the conference’s No. 2 seed. That gave the Bills their third playoff berth since 2017. but the club’s 27-24 victory last weekend over the Indianapolis Colts was its first post-season win since 1995.

It also was Buffalo’s first home playoff contest since 1996.

On Saturday night, Buffalo hosts the Baltimore Ravens in second-round action. Like last week, New York State has approved admission for about 6,700 fans after not allowing any fans into the nearly 70,000-seat facility during the regular season. Fans must get a COVID-19 test at the stadium two to three days before the game and then have a negative result to be admitted.

Instead of sitting at Bills Stadium with his uncle — a native of nearby Jamestown, N.Y. — and four cousins, Tangorra will be watching on television with his wife and daughter. The 40-year-old real-estate agent has been a fan of the team since 1990 and a season-ticket holder for the past six years.

Fans celebrate after the Buffalo Bills win during their AFC Wild Card game against the Indianapolis Colts on Jan. 9. (Bryan M. Bennett/Getty Images)

“My daughter is conflicted because her stepdad is a Bears fan,” Tangorra said. “But my wife will cheer with me because she knows what we [Bills fans] have been through all these years so she has empathy.

“Oh what I wouldn’t give to be there. The emotion you feel when you go to a game, especially when you’re with family, it’s comradery, it’s friendship and it’s culture. I remember when [Bills coach Sean McDermott] came in, he was saying, ‘The process, the process, the process,’ . . .and when you see the team grow and you’re like, ‘Wow, this is cool.'”

Financial as well as emotional hurt

Tangorra isn’t alone. Bills Mafia, the moniker for the club’s rabid fanbase, is alive and well in Ontario and Quebec with Bills Backers chapters located throughout the provinces. It’s estimated between 3,000 and 8,000 Canadians are season-ticket holders.

The stadium is located about a 30-minute drive away from the Peace Bridge, which connects Fort Erie, Ont., to Buffalo.

“I go back to 1990 but it’s funny because I watched that Super Bowl [a 20-19 loss to the New York Giants when Scott Norwood missed a potential game-winning field goal in the final seconds] but I wasn’t fully invested until the following year,” Tangorra said. “My uncle is from Jamestown, which is close to Fredonia and where the Bills used to hold their training camp.

“I’d go there and watch those and I can tell you I met every single player from 1991 to ’92 though ’93. It was a pretty amazing experience for a kid and so cool [because] you get to engage. It was one of the best experiences.”

Kretz, 49, owns The Manhattan Bar and Grill in St. Catharines, Ont., and it would usually be very busy when Buffalo plays. Not only is Kretz a Bills season-ticket holder, he organizes bus trips to various events, including Buffalo football games

“The financial hurt as a business owner is crippling but then just as a life-long Bills fans it’s devastating to not be able to be there,” said Kretz, who”s been attending Bills games since the late 1980s. “It is affecting my fun as well as my business.”

‘Verge of tears’

Kretz had arranged to attend a Bills home game in Las Vegas but, predictably, had to cancel those plans this year. He also took a serious look at all possible ways to make the trip to Orchard Park for Saturday’s contest.

“There’s a company doing helicopter trips to fly you over the border,” he said. “It crossed my mind but I think this is a team that could go all the way.

“If they go to Tampa [site of this year’s Super Bowl] I will seriously consider flying down and quarantining and doing all that . . . I’m that big of a fan.”

Micah Hyde (23) of the Buffalo Bills bats down a Hail Mary pass thrown by Philip Rivers, not pictured, of the Colts. Buffalo’s 27-24 victory last weekend over the Indianapolis was its first post-season win since 1995. ( Bryan M. Bennett/Getty Images)

Churchill, 38, operates R U Serious Tap and Grill in Guelph, Ont., with her sister, Kim, also a diehard Bills fan. Churchill has been a Buffalo season-ticket holder since 2015 but members of her family have had tickets for upwards of 30 years.

“Obviously we own a bar and it’s an industry being hit the hardest but I feel like we’re going to muscle that out and be OK,” Churchill said. “On a personal note, the most difficult thing this year and what I miss the most is being in Buffalo.

“I drive my son [three-year-old Jack] to daycare every morning and just as the sun comes up I roll my windows down for the cold air to come in because it reminds me of getting to the border on gameday and I get emotional and am on the verge of tears and I’m hiding it from my son.”

Family-like bond

One of Churchill’s fondest memories of attending a Bills game was Sept. 24, 2017 when fans threw her an impromptu baby shower.

“It was the game against Denver and I was eight months pregnant and it was the hottest game we had in history there,” she said. “That afternoon I was sitting there in the shade and friend after friend was showing up and they threw me a baby shower in the parking lot.

“It makes me so emotional now just to think about it because these are the people that are your family.”

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen attempts a pass during an AFC Wild Card game against the Indianapolis Colts on Jan. 9. (Bryan M. Bennett/Getty Images)

The road to the Super Bowl is a difficult one for Buffalo. Baltimore finished with an 11-5 record this season and looming for Saturday’s winner could be a road contest against the defending-champion Kansas City Chiefs, who posted a league-best 14-2 record this season and will face Cleveland (11-5) on Sunday.

“Kansas City is a very good team,” Tangorra said. “[But] I think Buffalo can win the Super Bowl, I really do.”

If the Bills and Chiefs both win to set up an AFC title showdown in Kansas City, Tangorra said he’ll take a look at the logistics of attending — Canadians still can fly out of the country, though the government is recommending against travel. However, with Ontario enacting a stay-at-home order this week, he doesn’t like his chances.

“Am I going to look into it? Yes,” he said. “Do I have any hopes for it? No.

“But I’m going to look into it.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Canadian Nick Taylor finishes second round strong to lead in Hawaii at Sony Open – TSN

Published

 on


It wasn’t the best start for Nick Taylor, but the finish was pretty good.

Taylor played the first five holes of his second round of the Sony Open in 1-over and looked as if he might have trouble making the cut. Instead, he went 9-under over the next 13 and takes a two-shot lead into the weekend.

“Early on today, the first four or five holes, I made some nice par putts,” said Taylor. “I was 1-over and then I started hitting it better and giving myself opportunities and kept making putts.”

His hot stretch started on the 15th hole, his sixth of the day, when he hit his approach to seven feet and made the birdie. He made a four-footer on the next hole to get to red figures, and then pitched in for eagle on par-5 18th to close out the front side.

He made five birdies on the back nine, none more eventful than his final hole of the day. His tee shot darted left, coming to rest against a fence that bordered the driving range. At first, it appeared Taylor would have to play his shot left-handed and hack it back into play, but he got relief from the netting above the fence and was able to play a full shot into the fairway. A wedge to three feet and a simple putt added a final birdie for a round of 62.

“Whenever you get another birdie, it’s obviously a nice finish, but after everything that happened, it’s nice to walk away with four,” said Taylor. “It was a fortunate break and nice to take advantage of it.”

The Canadian, who is leading the tournament in Strokes Gained: Putting, will have to keep making birdies if he hopes to earn his third PGA Tour win. There are five players grouped two shots back and another eight players trailing by three shots. The cut came at 4-under with the Waialae Country Club course playing easier in the afternoon as the winds that usually provide a defense, died down.

“I feel like you can make four, five, six pars in a row you’re probably getting lapped,” Taylor stated, “especially with how the fairways are running.”

It marks the second time in his career that Taylor has held the 36-hole lead. The other time was last year at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am where he went on to win. Since that victory, however, he hasn’t finished inside the top 25 in 15 starts.

The 62 is also his career-low on the PGA Tour; he’s posted rounds of 63 on four previous occasions.

“I’ve always liked this golf course,” Taylor said. “It kind of suits my eye off the tee. I’ve driven the ball well the last couple days and really putted well. Obviously when you’re doing that you’re going to shoot some good scores, and reading the greens well, so hopefully I’ll keep doing that.”

Taylor tees off in the final group with Stewart Cink and Webb Simpson at 5:50 pm ET.

Mike Weir and Mackenzie Hughes, the two other Canadians to make the cut, will play together at 3:50 pm ET.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Maple Leafs’ Robertson to make NHL regular-season debut vs. Senators – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


Nick Robertson will make his NHL regular-season debut Saturday in prime time for the Toronto Maple Leafs — and his coach predicts the teenager to come out flying.

“He’s got lots of energy and lots of confidence. He’ll be movin’ out there tonight, for sure,” said Sheldon Keefe, less than three hours before puck drop in Ottawa.

“We’re looking for him to make an impact on each shift that he gets—and he has the ability to do that. He showed that even in the bubble.”

The 19-year-old Robertson appeared in four of the Leafs’ five post-season games in last summer’s Columbus series and registered his first goal.

He then remained in Toronto throughout the off-season to train with his teammates, skipping out on Team USA’s gold-medal run through the world junior championships in order to pour all his efforts into cracking the big leagues.

Tonight, Robertson will replace seldom-used fourth-line winger Alexander Barabanov in the lineup as Toronto looks to avenge Friday’s 5-3 loss to the Senators. Barabanov has yet to register a point and is a minus-1 through two NHL appearances.

Keefe said he is eager to see how the OHL’s leading goal-scorer has improved his details away from the puck and how Robertson looks from a strength perspective, facing a bullish Sens squad that outhit the Leafs 33-12 on Friday.

“Over the off-season, he has put in a lot of work. How can he handle the physicality of the NHL and the strength of the defenders?” Keefe said. “He and I have talked about that that was a big area that took out of the Columbus series, that gave him some struggles.”

Despite his Leafs scoring eight goals over their first two games of the season, Keefe has been unsatisfied with his offence at even strength, prompting the lineup change.

Second-string goaltender Jack Campbell will get the start in net for Toronto, and third-stringer Aaron Dell will back up, giving No. 1 netminder Frederik Andersen a full two days’ rest ahead of next week’s busy schedule.

On the Senators side, coach D.J. Smith announced Mike Reilly would sub in for Christian Wolanin. Smith would not confirm whether forwards Colin White and/or Alex Galchenyuk would play. Both were healthy scratches in Friday’s Ottawa victory.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending