Connect with us

Tech

Canada confirms cases of new virus variant – CityNews Winnipeg

Published

 on


* profilePhotoCustom *

* public_profileBlurb *

* public_displayName *

* public_name *
* public_gender *
* public_birthdate *
* public_emailAddress *
* public_address *
* public_phoneNumber *

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Huawei Technologies in talks to sell premium smartphone brands P and Mate, sources say – The Globe and Mail

Published

 on


Huawei started to internally explore the possibility of selling the brands as early as last September.

MICHELE TANTUSSI/Reuters

China’s Huawei Technologies Co Ltd is in early-stage talks to sell its premium smartphone brands P and Mate, two people with direct knowledge of the matter said, a move that could see the company eventually exit from the high-end smartphone-making business.

The talks between the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker and a consortium led by Shanghai government-backed investment firms have been going on for months, the people said, declining to be identified as the discussions were confidential.

Huawei started to internally explore the possibility of selling the brands as early as last September, according to one of the sources. The two sources were not privy to the valuation placed on the brands by Huawei.

Story continues below advertisement

Shipments of Mate and P Series phones were worth $39.7 billion between Q3 2019 and Q3 2020, according to consultancy IDC.

However, Huawei has yet to make a final decision on the sale and the talks might not conclude successfully, according to the two sources, as the company is still trying to manufacture at home its in-house designed high-end Kirin chips which power its smartphones.

“Huawei has learned there are unsubstantiated rumors circulating regarding the possible sale of our flagship smartphone brands,” a Huawei spokesman said. “There is no merit to these rumors whatsoever. Huawei has no such plan.”

The Shanghai government said it was not aware of the situation and declined to comment further.

The potential sale of Huawei’s premium smartphone lines suggests the company has little hope that the new Biden administration will have a change of heart towards the supply chain restrictions placed on Huawei since May 2019, the two people said.

The Shanghai government-backed investment firms may form a consortium with Huawei’s dealers to take over the P and Mate brands, according to the second person, a similar model to the Honor deal. Huawei is also likely to keep its existing P& Mate management team for the new entity, if the deal goes through, the two people said.

OVERCOMING U.S. CURBS

Huawei, the world’s biggest telecoms equipment vendor and No.2 smartphone maker, last November announced the sale of its budget phone brand Honor to a consortium of 30 dealers led by a company backed by the Shenzhen government.

Story continues below advertisement

The second source said the all-cash sale fetched more than 100 billion yuan ($15.5 billion). Honor declined to comment.

The Honor sale was aimed at keeping the budget brand alive, as sanctions slapped on Huawei by the United States had hampered the unit’s supply chain and cut off the company’s access to key hardware like chips and software such as Alphabet Inc’s Google Mobile Services.

Huawei may have a similar objective in pursuing the sale of the mobile brands. The two sources said that Huawei’s latest plans for the two high-end brands were motivated by insufficient chip supplies.

Washington says that Huawei is a national security threat, which Huawei has repeatedly denied.

On Friday, Honor indicated that the goal of the spin-off had been reached by announcing it had formed partnerships with chip makers such as Intel and Qualcomm and launched a new phone.

Last year, the company’s Consumer Business Group Chief Executive Richard Yu said U.S. restrictions meant Huawei would soon stop making Kirin chips. Analysts expect its stockpile of the chips to run out this year.

Story continues below advertisement

Huawei’s HiSilicon division relies on software from U.S. companies such as Cadence Design Systems Inc or Synopsys Inc to design its chips and it outsources the production to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC), which uses equipment from U.S. companies.

The P and Mate phone series are among the top players in the higher-end smartphone market in China and compete with Apple’s iPhone, Xiaomi Corp’s Mi and Mix series and OPPO’s Find series.

The two brands contributed nearly 40% to Huawei’s total sales over the third quarter of 2020, according to market research firm Counterpoint.

Analysts have already noted recent insufficient supplies of the flagship P40 and Mate40 series due to a severe components shortage.

“We expect a continuous decline in sales of P and Mate series smartphones through Q1 2021,” said Flora Tang, an analyst at Counterpoint.

Be smart with your money. Get the latest investing insights delivered right to your inbox three times a week, with the Globe Investor newsletter. Sign up today.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

India- Realme X7 and X7 Pro teased on Flipkart, launch imminent | NewsBytes – MENAFN.COM

Published

 on


(MENAFN – NewsBytes) Realme X7 and X7 Pro are expected to be launched in India on February 4. In the latest development, Flipkart has activated a microsite for the upcoming handsets, confirming that the Realme 7 series will be available through the e-commerce platform.

As for the highlights, the phones come with a 5G-enabled MediaTek Dimensity chipset, an AMOLED screen, quad rear cameras, and 65W fast-charging technology.

  • In this article Realme X7 and X7 Pro: At a glance For the shutterbugs and selfie lovers Under the hood Availability and pricing
  • Design and display Realme X7 and X7 Pro: At a glance

  • The Realme X7 and X7 Pro sport a punch-hole design with a slim bottom-bezel, an integrated fingerprint sensor, and a quad rear camera setup.

    While the X7 bears a 6.4-inch Full-HD+ (1080×2400 pixels) AMOLED screen, the X7 Pro comes with a 6.55-inch Full-HD+ (1080×2400 pixels) AMOLED screen with an aspect ratio of 20:9 and a 120Hz refresh rate.

  • Information For the shutterbugs and selfie lovers
  • The X7 and X7 Pro pack a quad rear camera setup comprising a 64MP (f/1.8) primary sensor, an 8MP (f/2.3) wide-angle lens, a 2MP (f/2.4) macro sensor, and a 2MP (f/2.4) depth sensor. On the front, they sport a single 32MP (f/2.5) selfie shooter.

  • Internals Under the hood

  • The Realme X7 is powered by a MediaTek Dimensity 800U processor whereas the Realme X7 Pro is backed by a MediaTek Dimensity 1000+ chipset. They offer up to 8GB of RAM and up to 256GB of storage.

    The standard X7 packs a 4,300mAh battery while the X7 Pro model houses a 4,500mAh battery. Both the handsets support 65W fast-charging technology via the Type-C port.

  • Key details Availability and pricing
  • At present, all we know is that the Realme X7 series will be available for purchase through Flipkart and is likely to be announced on February 4.

    As for the pocket-pinch, the X7 model is expected to carry a price-tag of around Rs. 20,000 while the X7 Pro should cost around Rs. 25,000.

  • MENAFN25012021000165011035ID1101487103

    Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

    Let’s block ads! (Why?)



    Source link

    Continue Reading

    Tech

    Redmi Note 10 series likely to come without a charger in the retail box – gizmochina

    Published

     on


    Samsung started experimenting with the exclusion of accessories from the retail box of its phones started with the Galaxy Note 20 last year as it didn’t offer earphones but shipped them for free to those who requested.

    The strategy seems to be gaining more traction after Apple excluded the charger a few months back from all its iPhone devices. Xiaomi followed the suit with its Mi 11, but unlike Apple, it offers an option to customers to have a charger in the box.

    Redmi Note10 No Charger Tease

    Now, Xiaomi’s sub-brand is expected to do the same with the upcoming Redmi K40 series smartphones, if the newly released images are to be believed. It seems that another device from the company is also expected to remove the charger from the box — Redmi Note 10.

    Lu Weibing, General Manager of the Redmi brand recently posted on Weibo, asking for suggestions for the upcoming Redmi Note 10 series smartphones. In the comments, some users suggested removing the charger from the box, and to one of those comments, Lu Weibing responded by saying “message received,” which indicates that the charger won’t be included in the retail box.

    Smartphone manufacturers are justifying removing the charger from the box by citing the move as “environment friendly” and claiming that most users already have a charger at home. But they ignore the fact that the charger users might have at home won’t be compatible with the latest fast charging technology and to get the advantage of that feature, they will have to purchase a new one.

    While the Weibo post may hint that the Redmi Note 10 lineup could be launched soon, we don’t expect the official launch at least for a couple of months as the company is currently gearing up to launch the Redmi K40 flagship smartphone by the end of next month, after the Spring Festival in China.

    RELATED:

    [embedded content]

    ALWAYS BE THE FIRST TO KNOW – FOLLOW US!

    Let’s block ads! (Why?)



    Source link

    Continue Reading

    Trending