Connect with us

Health

COVID-19 case identified at second Port Coquitlam seniors home – The Record (New Westminster)

Published

on


A resident at a Port Coquitlam long-term care facility has tested positive for COVID-19, marking the third seniors care home in the Tri-Cities with at least one case of the coronavirus. 

Fraser Health identified the case at Nicola Lodge Wednesday, May 27, and the resident has been put into isolation at the facility.

article continues below

“This facility outbreak is a recent one. We’re still looking into it,” said Fraser Health’s top doctor, Dr. Martin Lavoie. 

Fraser Health does not currently know how the virus entered the facility.

Lavoie added that Fraser Health is in the process of investigating whether anyone has been in contact with the infected resident. Meanwhile, Fraser Health SWAT teams have implemented “enhanced control measures.”

The case marks a third flare up of the novel coronavirus in a Tri-City care home and the only active case in such a facility after the Shaughnessy and Dufferin care homes had their outbreaks declared over in recent weeks.

Nicola Lodge also marks the 17th seniors homes run by Sienna Living that has identified at least one case of COVID-19, according to a tally on their website. Most are in Ontario, including the Altamont Care Community in Scarborough, one of five seniors homes singled out in a recent report by the Canadian Armed Forces, which had been sent in to aid staff. 

The report, released Tuesday, details “horrific” allegations of insect infestations, aggressive resident feeding that caused choking, bleeding infections, and residents crying for help for hours across the five facilities.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford called it “the most heart-wrenching report” he’s ever read in his life, according to a report by the Canadian Press.

At Sienna Living’s Altamont Care Community, the report detailed several allegations of neglect, including residents not receiving three-meals a day, bed sores worn through ligament and tissue to the bone and dangerous errors in administering medication. 

The military said it brought in its own food to make sure residents were fed.

— with files from the Canadian Press

p.p1 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva; min-height: 17.0px
p.p2 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Health officials report new COVID-19 case in New Brunswick related to travel – NiagaraFallsReview.ca

Published

on


FREDERICTON—Public health officials in New Brunswick are reporting one new case of COVID-19 today.

The new case involves a person in their 40s in the Fredericton area.

They say it is a travel-related case, and the individual is self-isolating.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province’s chief medical officer of health, says the number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 166, and 163 have recovered.

There have been two deaths, and there is one active case.

Russell says people are reminded to maintain physical distancing and public health guidelines for good hygiene.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

WHO says airborne transmission of coronavirus can occur during medical procedures – Financial Post

Published

on


The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday airborne transmission of the novel coronavirus can occur during medical procedures that generate aerosols.

The agency said some outbreak reports related to indoor crowded spaces have suggested the possibility of aerosol transmission, combined with droplet transmission, such as during choir practice, in restaurants or in fitness classes. (https://bit.ly/2Ck7QBo)

The WHO on Tuesday acknowledged “emerging evidence” of the airborne spread of the novel coronavirus, after a group of scientists urged the global body to update its guidance on how the respiratory disease spread. (Reporting by Ankur Banerjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia reports zero new cases of COVID-19 – CBC.ca

Published

on


Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health says he never should have approved a plan to allow three executives from Irving Shipbuilding to travel to America to meet with contractors and then return to work without having to self-isolate for 14 days.

The executives had approval from Dr. Robert Strang’s office ahead of taking the trip. It included strict criteria they had to follow upon their return, including being tested for COVID-19 immediately. But when workers at the Halifax shipyard learned of the exception and complained to Strang’s office, he revisited the situation.

On Wednesday, he ordered the three executives home to self-isolate for 14 days and said the company could no longer engage in business travel to America. An Irving spokesperson said Wednesday that the executives complied with all rules attached to the exception.

During a COVID-19 briefing on Thursday, Strang said his review didn’t include whether any of the executives from Irving violated the guidelines established as part of their exception. But he said upon reviewing the plan a second time, it was clear he shouldn’t have signed off on it in the first place.

“Even though safety requirements were part of my approval, the meetings could have been done virtually,” Strang said. “Upon return, the individuals can isolate at home and still manage to work.”

Exceptions will continue to be granted

Strang couldn’t say how many exceptions his office has granted, but said he’s approved plans for workers to come into the province to do work that requires specialized skills and will continue to do so as deemed appropriate. Each request is judged on its own merits and Strang said his office has turned down a number of requests.

“I’ve even turned around a planeload of workers who were in the air, about to land in Nova Scotia because I couldn’t approve the plan because it didn’t provide the right level of COVID safety,” he said.

[embedded content]

In evaluating requests for exceptions, Strang said the lens he views things through is “appropriate protection for [the public’s] health and safety. He would only review plans if people raise issues about them. Although it’s not his job to inform employees when a a workplace receives an exception, Strang said employers should.

“The expectation would be that the company [receiving the exception] would have the appropriate communications so people are aware and they can understand what protocols are being put in place to keep them safe on the worksite,” he said.

His office reviews many plans and requests and Strang said the response won’t always be perfect.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang said the meeting the Irving executives travelled to in person could have been done virtually. (CBC)

“I’m not going to get everything I do, of the hundreds of decisions I make every week on this, I will acknowledge that I may not get everything exactly right,” Strang said.

“But I’m always happy to go back and learn from my mistakes and certainly be looking more intensely about how we make sure that we focus only on essential travel into the province where there is no other alternative.”

4 active cases

Nova Scotia reported zero new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, with four active cases remaining in the province.

The microbiology lab at the QEII Health Sciences Centre completed 398 tests on Wednesday and continues to operate 24 hours a day.

To date, Nova Scotia has had 56,227 negative test results, 1,066 positive cases and 63 deaths caused by the coronavirus. One person who previously tested positive for COVID-19 is still in hospital, but the case is now considered resolved.

Proper health and safety protocols

Strang encouraged people to continue washing their hands frequently, keeping surfaces clean and practising proper cough etiquette by coughing into their sleeve or elbow.

He continues to strongly recommend people wear masks when they are in public places where physical distancing isn’t possible and had meetings planned with his federal counterparts Thursday to discuss mask protocol. People should bring a mask with them whenever they leave home, the way they take their keys or wallet, said Strang.

Strang is encouraging people to wear non-medical grade masks in certain settings. (Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press )

Premier Stephen McNeil said he’s now wearing a mask when he’s indoors in a confined space or someone’s place of work.

“I’ve been out to dinner a couple of times this week [and] I wore a mask into that environment,” he said.

Symptoms list

People with one or more of the following COVID-19 symptoms are asked to visit 811’s website:

  • Fever (chills, sweats).
  • Cough or worsening of a previous cough.
  • Sore throat.
  • Headache.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Muscle aches.
  • Sneezing.
  • Nasal congestion/runny nose.
  • Hoarse voice.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Unusual fatigue.
  • Loss of sense of smell or taste.
  • Red, purple or bluish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers that do not have a clear cause.
MORE TOP STORIES 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending