Canadian inflation went negative for the first time since the 2009 recession after the coronavirus lockdown put the brakes on the world economy.
Consumer prices dropped 0.2 per cent in April from the same month a year earlier, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday from Ottawa. That’s down from a 0.9 per cent annual rate in March and 2.2 per cent in February.
The report adds inflation to the list of economic indicators showing an historic impact from the coronavirus pandemic. Collapsing gasoline prices have pulled inflation lower over the past two months, but weak demand should keep inflation at extremely low levels for an extended period, and could even spur worries about deflation. That will keep pressure off the Bank of Canada to ease up on accommodation efforts any time soon.
Core inflation readings, which factor out volatile items like energy prices and are often seen as a better measure of underlying price pressure, declined to 1.8 per cent, from 1.83 per cent in the prior month, the lowest since January 2019.
From March, prices fell 0.7 per cent, matching the largest one-month drop since 2008.
Statistics Canada also said it was unable to gather as much data as usual because in-person collection was suspended and some establishments were temporarily closed.
Fixed COVID-19 hydro rate coming to Ontario – BlackburnNews.com
Fixed COVID-19 hydro rate coming to Ontario
May 30, 2020 3:00pm
The province is introducing new electricity rate relief measures as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ontario ratepayers will now pay a fixed price of 12.8 cents per kWh at all times of the day.
Referred to as the COVID-19 Recovery Rate, the pricing will be automatically applied to all time-of-use customers starting on June 1 and be in effect until October 31.
According to a release by the provincial government on Saturday afternoon, the fixed rate is based on the average cost of electricity, set by the Ontario Energy Board.
“Since March 24, 2020, we have invested just over $175 million to deliver emergency rate relief to residential, farm and small business electricity consumers by suspending time-of-use electricity pricing…As Ontarians continue to work and learn from home, we are extending the suspension of time-of-use price to provide consumers with greater stability and predictability with their electricity bills,” Greg Rickford, minister of energy, northern development and mines, said in the news release.
More information about the COVID-19 Recovery Rate is expected to be announced during Premier Doug Ford’s daily briefing on Monday.
Son of 2 Portapique victims says 2011 warning on gunman should have prevented attack – CBC.ca
The son of two people killed in last month’s mass shooting in Nova Scotia believes a 2011 warning to police that gunman Gabriel Wortman had a stash of guns and wanted “to kill a cop” should have prevented the tragedy from ever happening.
The tip, according to records recently obtained by CBC News, was sent to police agencies across Nova Scotia, but RCMP can’t say what, if anything, was done with it.
“I’m angry more than anything. I’m angry that 22 people lost their lives and I really, truly believe that this could have been prevented,” said Ryan Farrington, whose mother and stepfather, Dawn Madsen and Frank Gulenchyn, were killed in the April 18-19 massacre.
Farrington’s parents lived in Portapique, N.S., and moved from Oshawa, Ont., 10 years ago. Farrington’s mother was originally from Nova Scotia and always wanted to move back. The couple loved living by the ocean.
Farrington said there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the tragedy, as well as the 2011 tip.
An RCMP spokesperson said the force typically only keeps warnings like that for two years.
“We can’t speak about specifics of the follow-up to the 2011 bulletin because our database records have been purged as per our retention policies,” Cpl. Jennifer Clarke said in an email.
“Preliminary indications are that we were aware and at minimum provided assistance to [Halifax Regional Police], which aligns with the RCMP’s approach for such enquiries (sic).”
The tip was initially sent to the Truro Police Service, who then shared it with the Criminal Intelligence Service of Nova Scotia, a network of policing agencies that includes the RCMP.
Halifax Regional Police did investigate the tip at the time because Wortman has a home in Dartmouth, but determined any information about weapons was related to his cottage property in Portapique, which was outside its jurisdiction. Halifax Regional Police said that information was shared with the RCMP.
“I don’t understand why [the 2011 bulletin] would be erased after two years, knowing that there is a highly volatile person in the area, especially mainly with the weapons being at his Portapique addresses,” Farrington said.
He said he was told by RCMP that the Truro police had information that could have prevented the massacre, but that it wasn’t shared with them. The Truro Police Service said they never had any direct dealings with Wortman, who lived outside their coverage area, but shared all the information available nine years ago with other police agencies because of how serious it was.
The documents obtained by CBC through access to information show that one day after the 2011 bulletin, someone at the RCMP followed up with Cpl. Greg Densmore, the Truro officer who wrote the officer safety bulletin. In that exchange Densmore passed along details about the truck and jeep Wortman is believed to have used to drive between Dartmouth and Portapique.
“There’s just so much we need to know and we’re not getting answers,” Farrington said.
He hopes the federal government calls a public inquiry that would address questions such as what the RCMP knew and when, how Wortman was able to bring in weapons illegally across the Canada-U.S. border, how he was able to get a police uniform and outfit his vehicle to look like an RCMP cruiser.
Nova Scotia Justice Minister Mark Furey told CBC’s Mainstreet on Friday that an inquiry into the shooting should be handled by the federal government because there are limits to what the province could do.
Furey, who is a retired Mountie, said many of the major players involved in the situation are federal agents, including the RCMP, the Canada Border Services Agency and the firearms registry.
He said an inquiry should be collaborative so the agencies that answer to different levels of government would be compelled to answer questions and implement any recommendations made.
Furey would not say if Nova Scotia would seek an inquiry if the federal government doesn’t.
“Those would be circumstances I would address at the time,” he said.
If you are seeking mental health support during this time, here are resources available to Nova Scotians.
Alberta handing out masks at drive-thrus – Canada News – Castanet.net
Alberta is planning to distribute 20 million non-medical masks for free at hundreds of drive-thru fast-food restaurants.
Health Minister Tyler Shandro says it’s one more way to keep Albertans safe as the economy reopens following shutdowns forced by COVID-19.
“As the province relaunches and we all adapt to our new normal, we all may sometimes find ourselves where physical distancing may not be possible,” Shandro told a news conference Friday.
“For example, riding transit in the province or shopping … where it may be difficult to maintain two metres between people at all times.
“Mask use is not mandatory, but we would like Albertans to have the option of wearing a mask if they choose.”
Shandro said that starting in early June, people will be able to use drive-thru lanes at McDonald’s, A&W and Tim Hortons to pick up single use, three-layer, non-medical masks designed to filter germs and pollution particles.
The masks come in packages of four, and one package will be handed out per person.
No food purchase is necessary to obtain them, said Shandro, and no money is going to the restaurant chains for pick-up or distribution.
At just below $1 per mask, the province is spending just under $2 million on the project. About $350,000 will be spent on getting masks to remote areas that don’t have those restaurants.
But Shandro said 95 per cent of Albertans live within 10 kilometres of a drive-thru. The participating businesses have about 600 drive-thrus in the province.
He said the masks can be picked up only in drive-thru lanes, not inside the restaurant, to maintain physical distancing.
He acknowledged that four masks per person is not enough in the long term, but will help some people get through the crunch of the crisis and that Albertans are encouraged to source their own masks in the future.
Asked how he hopes to prevent hoarding, Shandro said, “We’re not asking for folks to bring in their health-care card and get it punched to show they’ve already picked up.
“This is on the honour system.”
He said it’s acceptable for people to pick up masks on behalf of those who can’t do so in person.
Tanya Doucette, who operates eight Tim Hortons franchises in central Alberta, said customers were understanding when her staff closed in-store service and moved to drive-thru and delivery service only.
She expects the same will happen as they continue reopening in-store service to half capacity and begin distributing masks.
“We won’t be asking our team members to police the program. We’ll just ask them to follow the guidelines as they are set out by the province,” said Doucette in an interview.
“I think we can count on Albertans to utilize the program in the spirit it is meant.”
Alberta has completed the first phase of its economic relaunch. Retail shops, restaurants, day cares, barber shops, hair salons, farmers markets and places of worship have reopened with some conditions.
Outdoor gatherings are currently limited to 50 people, and indoor gatherings to 15.
The next phase is scheduled to begin June 19 with the reopening of stage and movie theatres, spas and services like manicures, pedicures and massages.
NHL Rumors: Maple Leafs, Red Wings, KHL Contracts, More – The Hockey Writers
Residents being advised of potential coronavirus exposure at Halifax store – Globalnews.ca
Nova Scotia reports no new cases of COVID-19 for first time since March – Brandon Sun
- News22 hours ago
Ford considering regional reopening of Ontario
- Media21 hours ago
Denmark and Norway create travel bubble
- Sports14 hours ago
Roger Federer tops Forbes' highest-earning athlete list at $106.3M US – CBC.ca
- Tech20 hours ago
Ford Announces Return of the Mustang Mach 1 for 2021 If the Mach 1 proves to be a step up from the Bullitt it’s more or less replacing, we can expect some fireworks – Auto123.com
- Science17 hours ago
What Time Is the SpaceX Launch? How to Watch – The New York Times
- Politics23 hours ago
Age Versus Politics in Determining Virus-Related Attitudes
- Politics20 hours ago
Julie Van Dusen reflects on a career covering politics
- Science20 hours ago
SpaceX’s Starship rocket prototype explodes on Texas test pad