Connect with us

Health

New Brunswick reports no new COVID-19 cases Sunday, drops 4 cases from total – Global News

Published

 on


New Brunswick recorded no new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday but removed four previously recorded cases from its total.

There are now 45 active cases in the province, health officials said.

The province revised its figures on Sunday, removing two individuals previously recorded in the Saint John region as they had been accounted for in another province.

Read more:
New Brunswick reports 5 new COVID-19 cases Saturday

Citing confidentiality, the province said it will not release where those cases were previously recorded.

Two other cases, an individual from the Moncton region and an individual in the Bathurst region, have also been removed from the province’s totals.

Both cases were false-positive results.

Story continues below advertisement

As a result, there have actually been 574 cases of COVID-19 in the province since the pandemic began, of which 520 are considered to be resolved.






2:22
Coronavirus: New Brunswick begins ‘historic’ COVID-19 vaccination process


Coronavirus: New Brunswick begins ‘historic’ COVID-19 vaccination process

New Brunswick said it is currently working to determine the cause of the false positives.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“When Public Health evaluates the results of its tests, they consider the epidemiological links and case information to determine the likelihood for these to be positive,” the province said in a press release.

“In certain rare situations, such as this one, the results were not in keeping with the patient information or the COVID-19 activity in the area, so the samples were retested.”

The two individuals are being informed by the province about their tests.

Read more:
1 COVID-19 case in New Brunswick tied to cases at Maine paper mill

Story continues below advertisement

There have been eight deaths in the province as a result of the virus.

Officials say there are currently three people in the hospital, one of whom is in the intensive care unit for treatment.

As of Sunday, the province has completed 145,988 tests.

Read more:
How New Brunswick’s four-step plan to recover from COVID-19 works

The Edmundston zone remains in the orange phase of New Brunswick’s COVID-19 recovery plan.

Among the rules in the orange phase are a requirement of a one household bubble, two metres of physical distancing, and a mandatory mask while in indoor and outdoor public spaces.

All other regions remain in the yellow phase.

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

B.C. records another 465 COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths and 70 in ICU – Global News

Published

 on


British Columbia has recorded another 465 COVID-19 cases Tuesday bringing the provincial total to 61,912 since the pandemic began.

Another 12 people have died from complications with the virus, with the total number of deaths now standing at 1,090.

Read more:
B.C. records 1,330 new cases of COVID-19 but single-day count falls to lowest in 11 weeks

Two more people have been admitted to the ICU, meaning there are now 70 people in critical care in the province. There are 329 in hospital, which is down 14 from Monday.

In total, 55,099 people have recovered from the virus but there remain 4,331 active cases and 6,864 people in isolation.






5:17
B.C. officials report 1,330 new COVID-19 cases, 31 additional deaths over the weekend


B.C. officials report 1,330 new COVID-19 cases, 31 additional deaths over the weekend

Since Monday there have been 83 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 262 new cases in the Fraser Health region, 21 in the Island Health region, 61 in the Interior Health region, 32 in the Northern Health region and six new cases of people who reside outside of Canada.

Story continues below advertisement

To date, 92,369 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in B.C., the government confirmed Tuesday.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

There are no new health-care facility outbreaks.

Over the weekend and on Monday, B.C. recorded 1,330 new cases of COVID-19 along with 31 more deaths.

However, from Sunday to Monday, B.C. reported 301 cases, which was the lowest single-day case number since Nov. 3, when 299 cases were recorded.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Fitness industry frustrated City of Winnipeg employee gyms remain open – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


Since November, gyms across Manitoba have been shut down for COVID-19 health protocols, but that hasn’t been the case for all fitness facilities.

Some City of Winnipeg employee gyms have remained open.

“Provincial health officials advised us that these facilities, used exclusively by City employees, could remain open. These facilities have guidelines in place to help maintain our employees’ health and safety,” a spokesperson for the city says.

“Among them, users are required to respect posted capacity limits and follow physical distancing guidelines of staying two metres/six feet apart.”

Read more:
Manitoba reports 11 coronavirus deaths, 111 cases

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin says the city didn’t need special permission to keep gyms open.

Story continues below advertisement

“Our public health orders don’t apply to any levels of government. So they don’t apply to federal, provincial or municipal governments. So I am aware of health inspectors having visited some of these gyms and have found them safe. They weren’t given an exception outside the order.

“The order doesn’t apply to governments.”

Global News confirmed facilities aren’t just open for first responders. Other employees have access as well.

But the city would not confirm exactly which employees have access or the reason why.

Mayor Brian Bowman declined an interview request for Tuesday but a statement from his office said “the Mayor has been advised by the public service that the operation of staff fitness facilities is in compliance with provincial public health orders.”

Story continues below advertisement

While the province announced on Tuesday potential expansions of the COVID-19 public health orders, the reopening of gyms isn’t on the list.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“Gyms, restaurants and organized recreation will be continued to be reviewed for further iterations,” Roussin said adding that indoor prolonged contact is a higher risk of transmission for COVID-19 compared to passing someone in a store.

Manitoba RCMP confirmed that all gyms in their headquarters and all detachments have been closed.






3:07
Coronavirus: Fewer Canadians holding out hope for summer reprieve from pandemic, Ipsos poll shows


Coronavirus: Fewer Canadians holding out hope for summer reprieve from pandemic, Ipsos poll shows

Paul Taylor, the owner of Brickhouse Gyms in Winnipeg, says it’s hypocritical to allow city workers to access the gym but not allow others.

“We are operating under the premise that going to the gym is unhealthy for you at a time like this and puts you at undue risk for COVID-19 and what have you, but if it’s such a risky activity, why are we putting our police and front-line workers and city workers, why would we be exposing them to unnecessary danger?”

Story continues below advertisement

Brickhouse Gyms, like many other fitness facilities in the province, were following public health orders with social distancing and cleaning protocols in place in order to stay open but were forced close under the province’s level red restrictions that came into effect in November.

“We desperately want to be allowed to exist so we will do everything necessary and we won’t take the ability to open for granted,” he said.

Taylor’s gym has been closed for nearly six of the past 12 months and he says it’s a financial struggle.

Read more:
Canada sheds 63K jobs in December, first decline since April

“Just the hydro alone is easily $10,000 to $11,000 from this lockdown and I’m still making payments on the first lockdown. That’s $20,000 just in Manitoba Hydro that I owe them for the six months I was forced to be closed and couldn’t make a dime.”


Click to play video 'Tips for heading back to the gym'



1:23
Tips for heading back to the gym


Tips for heading back to the gym – Jun 2, 2020

In the province’s public health act, it says there are exceptions but “all indoor sporting or recreational facilities, including gyms and fitness facilities, must be closed while these Orders are in effect.”

Story continues below advertisement

The exceptions listed include professional hockey teams, or athletes who have been identified as Olympic or Paralympic competitors.

Read more:
Manitoba fitness industry hoping for gyms to reopen soon

Stephanie Jeffrey is the executive director of the Manitoba Fitness Council, which represents about 1,000 fitness instructors in the province.

Jeffrey says she understands why some City of Winnipeg employees may need to keep up their physical workouts to do their jobs, but they aren’t the only ones.

“I think it’s really important to have some gyms open because there are some jobs — most jobs require a level of cardiovascular endurance as well as strength, and I would say more than others. I wouldn’t want to see them close, I think we should all be open.”

Jeffrey says she thinks there’s a balance that could be reached to help people de-stress with a workout and keep them safe with COVID-19 precautions in place.

“I think if we opened up like we did before, where we had capacity limits plus strict cleaning protocols, there were very few gyms fined during that time for not following those protocols and they will do whatever it takes to get back open and those who participate in those programs and go to those facilities are also willing to do whatever it takes to get themselves back,” Jeffrey said.

Story continues below advertisement

There’s still no word yet on when gyms will be allowed to reopen in the province, but the next public health order that goes into effect on Saturday runs at least three weeks long.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Manitoba mulls easing retail and gathering restrictions for all but northern region – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Many Manitobans could soon have a small number of friends and family over to their properties and shop for anything they want at a store after enduring two months of the toughest lockdown since the start of the pandemic.

The province released a range of options it’s considering for private gatherings and the reopening of stores for all regions except the hard-hit north.

“The actions and hard work and sacrifices of Manitobans has continued to make a difference,” said Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s Chief Provincial Public Health Officer. “Overall our numbers are headed in a good direction, and that means that we can start looking at what a reopening might look like.”

The current household orders could be loosened to allow two additional people, family or friends, to visit a household, outdoor visits of up to five people in addition to members of the household on private property, and funerals up to 10 people, plus an officiant.

All stores could be allowed to re-open, as long as they maintain physical distancing and occupancy limits of 25 per cent up to a maximum of of 250 people. Eliminating the list of restricted non-essential items is also floated.

Non regulated-health services such as podiatrists and reflexologists, as well as personal services such as barber shops and hair stylists, could reopen as long as they also follow health precautions.

The relaxed orders, which are merely proposals at this point, could come into effect as soon as 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, when the current public health restrictions expire, and last three weeks.

Roussin stressed that the province is taking a “cautious approach,” saying that the more interactions people have, the more opportunity the virus that causes COVID-19 has to transmit. Manitoba case numbers began to increase sharply in late October and November, despite some health restrictions in place at the time, and Roussin said he doesn’t want to see that happen again.

(Bryce Hoye/CBC)

“We don’t want to go back and forth. We want to have a slow cautious approach so that we can continue reopening over time and not have to go back and close certain things again.”

The proposed changes don’t include reopening businesses like restaurants or gyms. The reason stores are allowed to reopen, but not restaurants, is due to the fact people go in and out of stores without remaining in close contact for a long time, Roussin said. 

“In restaurants, this is prolonged, indoor contact. So we know that this adds to the risk,” he said.

Winnipeg and several surrounding communities moved to the red level — the highest level on the province’s pandemic response system — on Nov. 2, and the rest of the province followed on Nov. 12.

Restrictions tightened further on Nov. 20, when the province reduced the number of household visitors allowed in most cases to zero and imposed an outright ban on the sale of non-essential items in stores.

The province says its options for relaxing restrictions were informed by a survey that received 67,500 responses between Friday and Monday. Manitobans are asked to provide feedback on on their preferences through the engagemb.ca website. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending