Nunavut is reporting its first two COVID-19 deaths.
The territory’s premier, health minister and chief public health officer say in a joint statement that a resident of Arviat was transported to a southern facility after developing complications from the novel coronavirus.
The statement says the government learned late Saturday afternoon that he’d died in hospital.
It also says a Rankin Inlet resident who contracted COVID-19 while in southern Canada developed complications and also died in hospital late Saturday.
The statement says the territory will not be releasing further information out of respect for both individuals and their families.
Nunavut has had 259 COVID-19 cases since the first case was confirmed in early November.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 20, 2020.
Some provinces see positive signs in COVID fight, but hospitalizations a concern – Red Deer Advocate
Some provincial authorities saw encouraging signs in the fight against COVID-19 on Monday, even as experts warned that it’s too soon to draw conclusions from the data and provinces scrambled to deal with a looming shortage of Pfizer vaccines.
Officials in both Quebec and Manitoba noted that case numbers have dropped slightly in recent days and suggested that their populations’ efforts to control the virus could be paying off.
Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief public health officer, said case numbers in his province appeared to be dipping.
“We’re definitely not out of the woods,” he told a news conference as the province reported 118 cases. “We certainly still have a long way to go before we can return to normal.”
Roussin said the province is looking at easing some restrictions in the coming days, but that any changes would be gradual.
Quebec reported 1,634 new COVID-19 cases, which included about 200 from the previous day that weren’t noted because of a delay. The province had broken the 3,000-case mark in early January and has a seven-day rolling average of more than 1,900 cases a day.
Health Minister Christian Dube noted on Twitter that the Quebec City region in particular had seen a decline in the number of new infections recently, which he saw as a sign that “the sacrifices that we’re asking of Quebecers are bearing fruit.” However, he asked Quebecers to continue their efforts in order to reduce the number of hospitalizations, which rose Monday after three straight days of decline.
Universite de Montreal public health professor Benoit Masse said it will take another week or two to know whether the downward trend will be sustained and to gauge the impact of the recently imposed curfew. He said the province should know more by Feb. 8, when curfew restrictions are set to lift.
Ontario also reported its lowest number of COVID-19 cases since early January, with 2,578 new infections, but the province completed a little more than 40,000 tests Sunday, compared with more than 60,000 the day before.
Nova Scotia also reported no new cases for the second time this month.
The news was less positive in New Brunswick, where the Edmundston region entered the province’s highest pandemic-alert level, ushering in new restrictions on businesses in the region after a record-breaking number of new cases on Sunday. The province reported 26 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday after recording 36 the day before.
Provinces were also reviewing their vaccine programs to contend with a reduced supply of Pfizer-BioNTech doses after the company said last week it was cutting back on promised deliveries over the next month as it works to expand production.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said Monday that his province was pausing appointments for people to get their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine due to the supply shortage.
“Even with a new shipment of Pfizer expected later this week, we won’t have enough supply to continue with new first-dose appointments,” he said, adding that the province had set aside vaccines for people who were due for their second doses, and those appointments would continue.
Manitoba stopped booking new appointments over the weekend, but health officials announced Monday that those bookings would resume, with room for about 4,000 new appointments this week and next.
Ontario also acknowledged it was working with a supply crunch that would see its next two shipments of Pfizer vaccine reduced by 20 per cent and 80 per cent respectively.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said the situation would last until late February or early March when larger shipments begin to arrive.
Ontario announced that a new hospital set to open in Vaughan, Ont. would be used to relieve a capacity crunch because of rising COVID-19 admissions. Elliott and Premier Doug Ford said the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital would add 35 new critical care beds and 150 medical beds to the province’s bed capacity.
Hospital capacity has been a concern in many provinces, with doctors in Ontario and Quebec being told to prepare for the possibility of implementing protocols to decide which patients get access to life-saving care in the case of extreme intensive care unit overcrowding.
Nationally, COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths are still increasing, according to Canada’s chief public health officer. Dr. Theresa Tam noted that hospitalizations tend to lag one or more weeks behind a surge in cases.
“These impacts affect everyone, as the health-care workforce and health system bear a heavy strain, important elective medical procedures are delayed or postponed, adding to pre-existing backlogs,” she wrote in a statement.
She said an average of 4,705 COVID-19 patients a day were being treated in Canadian hospitals during the last seven days, including an average of 875 in ICUs.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021
— With files from Steve Lambert, Shawn Jeffords and Sidhartha Banerjee
Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press
BC health officials announce 1,330 new COVID-19 cases since Friday | News – Daily Hive
British Columbia health officials have announced 1,330 new test-positive COVID-19 cases since Friday, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the province to 61,447.
During a press conference on Monday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said there were 584 cases reported from Friday to Saturday, 445 from Saturday to Sunday, and 301 from Sunday to Monday.
Broken down by health region, this equates to 281 new cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 548 new cases in the Fraser Health region, 65 new cases in the Island Health region, 257 new cases in the Interior Health region, 166 new cases in the Northern Health region, and 13 new cases from people who reside outside of Canada, which Henry said is largely attributed to “temporary farm workers arriving in the province for the upcoming season.”
There were also 31 more deaths over the weekend, bringing the death toll to 1,078.
There are currently 4,326 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 6,865 people are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.
Currently, 343 individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19, 68 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Henry said that 54,656 individuals who tested positive have now recovered.
4 more deaths, 118 cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba as Roussin hints at easing restrictions – CBC.ca
Manitoba announced 118 cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths on Monday, the 11th consecutive day the province has recorded single-digit deaths.
The latest deaths are connected to current outbreaks, including a man in his 80s at the Rod McGillivary Memorial Care Home in Opaskwayak Cree Nation in the Northern Health Region.
The other three deaths are in the Winnipeg health region — a man in his 60s linked to the outbreak at the Southeast Personal Care Home, a woman in her 70s linked to the outbreak at Concordia Place and a woman in her 80s linked to the outbreak at Health Sciences Centre WRS3.
Of the 118 cases, 46 are in the northern region, which has been the location of many of the new cases in the past week.
The Winnipeg Health Region is nearly equal with 45.
There are 11 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region, nine in the Southern Health region and seven in the Prairie Mountain Health region.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 10.6 per cent provincially and 7.3 per cent in Winnipeg.
“The actions and hard work by Manitobans continues to make a difference. We see our numbers having some way of fluctuating over the days, but we see they’re headed in a good direction,” said Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin.
“Today’s numbers continue to be encouraging [but] we’re definitely not out of the woods. We certainly still have a long way to go before we can return to normal.”
WATCH | Manitoba ‘many months away’ from return to normal: Dr. Roussin
New outbreaks have been declared at Golden Door Geriatric Centre and Golden West Centennial Lodge in Winnipeg. Both sites have been moved to the critical (red) level on the province’s pandemic response system.
Meanwhile, outbreaks are now declared over at Heritage Lodge personal care home and Calvary Place Personal Care Home, both in Winnipeg.
There are 3,108 active cases in the province (officials have said that number is inflated due to a data entry backlog) and 289 people are in hospital with COVID-19 — a drop of three from Sunday.
The number in intensive care has dropped to 35 on Monday from 39 on Sunday.
The total number of deaths in Manitoba due to COVID-19 is now 773.
Roussin was asked if the decrease in hospitalizations was enough to begin easing the current code red public health orders.
While the numbers are trending in the right direction, there are still many reasons to remain cautious, he said.
“There is still that demand on our health-care system. It is just now getting back to some of those elective procedures [which had been suspended],” Roussin said.
“So we do have to be cautious, but we do think that we’re in a position to start with some loosening of the restrictions.
“We’ll have some more details on that as the week goes on.”
The existing orders expire Friday night.
Last week, the province launched an online survey to gauge public perspective on the risk of contracting COVID-19 and how comfortable people are with easing some restrictions.
Roussin couldn’t say on Monday how many people have filled it out but “from initial reports, Manitobans were highly engaged.”
He expects more details to be released tomorrow or soon after and said he would give businesses notice as early as possible of any changes that affect them.
Roussin was asked if the new orders might include an increase in faith gatherings but said he didn’t want to speculate on the specifics.
Regardless of what changes are made “we are many months away from a place where we can start thinking about getting back to anything resembling being normal,” he said.
Don’t relax yet: Lamont
Manitoba Liberal Party leader Dougald Lamont said he was a little worried with the tone coming from Monday’s announcement, which suggested things are vastly improving.
It’s not so if you look a little closer, he said.
For instance, the outbreak in the north — specifically Lynn Lake — is concerning because “the hospital is on the verge of being overwhelmed,” he said.
And that is also bad news for Winnipeg because the majority of intensive care units in the province are located in the capital city.
“So we shouldn’t relax or let down our guard at all … because all of those people, ultimately, have to be treated here,” Lamont said, and that could still put strain on the health-care system.
He also expressed “extreme” concern about the low number of daily COVID-19 tests being conducted — just 1,322 on Sunday.
“We really don’t understand it. Months and months ago we were promised 3,000 tests a day and that is not happening,” he said.
Roussin mentioned Monday that Manitoba has not yet detected any cases of either the South African or U.K. coronavirus variants, “but we’re watching quite closely.”
Lamont said that wait-and-see approach has been a problematic one, which left Manitoba scrambling when the second wave hit in the fall.
He wants to see the province step up and start preparing for the variants rather than reacting only once they arrive.
“We need to be vigilant,” he said. “We need to be testing people for the COVID variant at airports and even at truck stops, if possible.
“Over and over again this has been the gang that can’t shoot straight when it comes to planning,” Lamont added, noting the Tories have still not released a vaccination rollout plan to the public.
Maple Leafs avoid disaster scenario with Jason Spezza clearing waivers – Yahoo Sports
Some provinces see positive signs in COVID fight, but hospitalizations a concern – Red Deer Advocate
B.C. real estate regulator clamps down on activities of 'Wolf of Burrard Street' – Vancouver Sun
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
Sports20 hours ago
Why the Maple Leafs put Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers – The Athletic
Real eState8 hours ago
Avoid These Common Problems with Professional Window Installation
Sports16 hours ago
Drew Brees’ career possibly ends with more Saints playoff sorrow as Tom Brady and Bucs move on
Sports15 hours ago
Saints’ Drew Brees mum on future after playoff loss to Buccaneers
Health16 hours ago
COVID-19 in Ottawa: Fast Facts for Jan. 18, 2021 – CTV Edmonton
Sports17 hours ago
FRIESEN: Injury to Laine just latest curveball for Jets – Winnipeg Sun
Health8 hours ago
Ottawa sees fewer than 100 new cases of COVID-19 in one-day dip – CTV Edmonton
Sports2 hours ago
Maple Leafs avoid disaster scenario with Jason Spezza clearing waivers – Yahoo Canada Sports