MANILA, Oct 3 (Reuters) – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s daughter will run for president in the 2022 election and her father’s long-time aide, who has filed his vice presidential candidacy, will be her running mate, ABS-CBN news reported late on Saturday.
Sara Duterte-Carpio is currently mayor of Davao, the Philippines’ third-largest city, and on Saturday filed her candidacy to run again for mayor. She has previously said she would not run for national office next year.
ABS-CBN news based its report on an interview that president Duterte had with a broadcast journalist right after he announced that he was retiring from politics on Saturday, while accompanying his closest loyalist Senator Christopher “Bong” Go to file his vice presidential candidacy.
He was asked: “So is it clear, Sara-Go?”
“It is Sara-Go,” Duterte said in response.
When asked to confirm what the president said, Duterte-Carpio’s spokesperson Mayor Christina Garcia Frasco told Reuters: “The extent of my knowledge is also what was reported in local news. We have no comment on the same.”
Go did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
ABS-CBN news said it obtained permission from the broadcast journalist to use the video showing Duterte outside a hotel in Manila where the registration of candidates was taking place and that a transcript was also provided.
In the same clip, Duterte was asked when his daughter would file her candidacy for president, he said: “I really do not know. I do not have any idea at all”.
Asked if he had given his daughter permission to run for president, he said: “Ah, no, actually we don’t talk about politics, ever since we never talk about politics. I would say that it is for the better”.
Duterte’s political party has yet to officially nominate its presidential candidate and Duterte-Carpio belongs to a different party.
Retired political science professor Temario Rivera said while Duterte’s daughter is winnable, the same could not be said about Go who has no political base, thus making a Duterte-Carpio-Go ticket “weak”.
“It would be an unsound political decision because what can Bong Go add to Sara’s candidacy?,” Rivera said.
While Duterte-Carpio is by far the most popular presidential prospect, according to successive opinion polls this year, but Go, who was the president’s long-time aide before he became senator, trails in opinion surveys on preferred vice presidential bets.
He had been expected to run for the No. 2 job, a plan most Filipinos oppose as violating the spirit of the constitution which sets a one-term limit for the president to stop power being abused.
Duterte-Carpio’s mayorial re-election filing, did little to douse speculation she has her eye on the presidency.
Analysts say it is crucial for Duterte to have a loyal successor to insulate him from potential legal action – at home or by the International Criminal Court – over the thousands of state killings in his war on drugs since 2016.
Candidates have until Oct. 8 to register, but withdrawals and substitutions are allowed until Nov. 15, leaving scope for last-minute changes of heart.
Reporting by Karen Lema;
Editing by Sandra Maler and Michael Perry
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Motor racing-F1 drivers defend Netflix series after Verstappen snub
Leading Formula One drivers defended the popular Netflix “Drive to Survive” fly-on-the-wall series on Thursday after Red Bull’s championship leader Max Verstappen said he was snubbing it because he felt some of the rivalries were “faked”.
The docu-series, now filming its fourth season, has been credited as a big factor in fuelling the sport’s growth in the United States.
Dutch 24-year-old Verstappen earlier told the Associated Press that he recognised the importance of the series but did not like being a part of it and would not be giving any interviews.
Mercedes’ seven-times world champion Lewis Hamilton, Verstappen’s title rival, told reporters at the U.S. Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, that he had noticed a surge in interest in the country.
“In this last couple of years it’s been the steepest rise and more and more people are talking about it, more and more people engaging,” he said.
“The amount of emails and messages I get from people I’ve known for years in the States and who never knew what I was doing and now are hooked and can’t wait to come. I think a lot of them are coming this weekend.”
Verstappen’s Mexican team mate Sergio Perez, a two-times race winner who featured heavily last season, said he respected what the documentary was doing.
“What it has done for Formula One is tremendous. It’s really something I appreciate,” he said.
“The way they sell the sport is a bit of a drama. It is a show but at the end of the day it is good for the sport and is good for the fans so I am happy with it.”
McLaren’s Lando Norris, voted the second-most popular driver after Verstappen in a fan survey published on Thursday, also appreciated the show.
“I’m fine with it,” he said. “I think it’s a cool thing. Coming to America there are so many people who are now into Formula One just because of watching ‘Drive to Survive.’ I think I come across on it alright.
“I think they do a good job. I can’t really speak on behalf of Max.”
His Australian team mate Daniel Ricciardo agreed: “Most of us experience the effect it’s had on the sport. There’s certainly been a lot of growth and I honestly see that most in America.
“There’s times where you want a little bit of space or privacy but I do think if you let them know no cameras in this room they are pretty good with that.”
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by Stephen Coates)
Media Beat: October 21, 2021 | FYIMusicNews – FYI Music News
Rogers boardroom rift deepens as Edward Rogers faces resistance in bid to overhaul telecom giant’s leadership
Independent directors at Rogers Communications Inc. are pushing back against attempts by chair Edward Rogers to overhaul the telecom and media giant’s leadership, and the company’s family trust will hold an emergency meeting to consider limiting Mr. Rogers’s ability to exercise voting control.
The boardroom rift in the middle of the $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. erupted after Mr. Rogers attempted to replace Rogers chief executive officer Joe Natale with chief financial officer Tony Staffieri and oust other members of the company’s leadership team. It pits Mr. Rogers against his mother, Loretta Rogers, and sisters Martha Rogers and deputy chair Melinda Rogers-Hixon. – Alexandra Posadzki, The Globe and Mail
Facebook — or whatever name the tech giant picks for a reportedly looming rebrand of its data-mining empire as it seeks to teleport its business into the metaverse to escape the unending cavalcade of toxic publicity its execs generate — has a new “bad behavior” badge to sport: It’s just been fined nearly $70 million (£50.5 million) by a U.K. watchdog for deliberately withholding information related to ongoing antitrust oversight of its acquisition of US database and search enginge Giphy.– Natasha Lomas, TechCrunch
Omidyar is no stranger to the media, providing financial backing to The Intercept, for example, and the open internet advocacy group Public Knowledge. According to Politico, when asked to comment, his advocacy group Omidyar Network pointed to an unbylined blog post that went up today titled “In Support of Tech Whistleblowers Who are Holding Tech to Account.” – Richard Lawler, The Verge
As the world begins to truly contend with just how dangerous social media platforms can be, Facebook’s reckoning has been kicked into overdrive following former staffer Frances Haugen’s shocking allegations that the company has long known about its platform’s toxic effects on society — and has done little to try to fix them. Now, amid this firestorm of criticism, the company has reportedly come up with a new public relations strategy: changing its name. – Kara Alaimo, CNN
Donald Trump’s team is making a big deal of this. Yet there’s no indication that the new company has a working platform yet. The new site is just a registration page. – BBC News
For those scammers who think they’ve been scammed, there’s not a lot they can do (and few would have sympathy for them). One forum user suggested any attempt at dealing with this situation would be as useless as trying to arbitrate “against Stalin”. – Danny Palmer, ZDNet
Ex-US President Donald Trump announces social media site – Al Jazeera English
The launch of the platform, dubbed TRUTH Social, comes months after Trump was banned from most major social media sites.
Former United States President Donald Trump has announced the launch of his own social media platform, nine months after being expelled from all major sites for his role in allegedly inciting violence at the US Capitol following his election defeat last year.
In a statement on Wednesday, Trump said the launch of Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG) and its “TRUTH Social” app is meant to remedy his suspensions from sites such as Facebook and Twitter in the wake of the January 6 storming of the Capitol by his supporters as legislators met to certify the victory of the Republican’s Democratic rival, incumbent President Joe Biden.
“We live in a world where the Taliban has a huge presence on Twitter, yet your favorite American President has been silenced. This is unacceptable,” Trump said in the written statement included in a news release.
“I am excited to send out my first TRUTH on TRUTH Social very soon. TMTG was founded with a mission to give a voice to all. I’m excited to soon begin sharing my thoughts on TRUTH Social and to fight back against Big Tech,” he said.
The social network is set for a preliminary rollout in November and a full rollout in the first quarter of 2022, according to the release. It is being created through a new company formed by a merger of the TMTG and a special acquisition company.
The social media platform is the first of the three stages in the company’s plans, followed by a subscription video-on-demand service called TMTG+ that will feature entertainment, news and podcasts, and an entry to the cloud-computing space, according to the release.
Trump, who was impeached by the US House of Representatives for his role in egging on rioters on January 6, but later acquitted of the charges in the then Republican-controlled US Senate, has been vocal about his desire to launch his own media platform following his presidency.
An earlier effort to launch a blog on his existing website was abandoned after the page drew dismal views.
In May, a semi-independent Facebook oversight board upheld Trump’s suspension from the site, on which he had about 35 million followers, while criticising the open-ended nature of the ban and calling for the company to determine a more concrete timeline of the ban within six months.
In July, Trump sued Facebook, Twitter and Google, along with their chief executives, seeking the restoration of his accounts and punitive damages.
Queen Elizabeth back home after first night in hospital in years
AirPods 3 make it easier to skip songs. Here's how to use the force sensor – CNET
Patagonian fossils show Jurassic dinosaur had the herd mentality | Saltwire – SaltWire Network
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Real eState14 hours ago
Calgary housing market sees best Q3 since 2014, says real estate board – CBC.ca
Investment24 hours ago
Simon Kronenfeld: Emerging investment opportunities – mtltimes.ca
Health20 hours ago
India celebrates 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses with song and dance
News20 hours ago
The Rojava Revolution Has Lessons for Western Feminism
Tech21 hours ago
Enter the Zuckerverse? Social media churns with new names for Facebook
Tech23 hours ago
Samsungs Galaxy Z Flip 3 Bespoke Edition lets users customize their phone – MobileSyrup
Media18 hours ago
Donald Trump announces launch of media company, social media site – CTV News
Business22 hours ago
China Evergrande shares fall in resumed trade after $2.6 billion deal collapses