Connect with us

Media

Prop gun in Alec Baldwin accidental movie set shooting had live rounds, police say

Published

 on

Alec Baldwin was handed what was described as a safe “cold gun” on the set of his movie “Rust”, but the prop gun contained live rounds when it was fired, according to details of the police investigation into the fatal shooting released on Friday.

The shot hit cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in the chest, and director Joel Souza who was behind her, in the shoulder, according to a county sheriff’s affidavit filed in Santa Fe magistrates court.

Hutchins died of her wounds and Souza was injured but has since been released from a local hospital.

The assistant director who handed Baldwin the prop gun did not know it contained live rounds, the affidavit by Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department Detective Joel Cano said.

Baldwin said on Friday he was in shock over the accidental shooting as reports emerged of walk-outs on the “Rust” set earlier in the week over unsafe conditions.

The star of “30 Rock” and “The Hunt for Red October” said he was “fully cooperating” with authorities to determine how the incident occurred on Thursday.

Production on the movie was immediately shut down. The sheriff’s department said no charges had been filed and the investigation remained open. Baldwin voluntarily gave a statement about the shooting, the sheriff’s department said.

The affidavit was filed on Friday in support of a search warrant for “old Western style clothing” worn by Baldwin that appeared to have blood stains, along with firearms, documentation, ammunition and cameras from the scene.

The search warrant was approved by a Santa Fe judge.

Cano said the incident took place at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, south of Santa Fe, during a rehearsal and it was not clear whether it had been filmed.

He said the prop gun was one of three on a cart outside a building. One of them was taken by the assistant director on the movie who went inside and handed it to Baldwin.

“As the assistant director handed the gun to the actor Alec Baldwin, (he) yelled ‘cold gun’, indicating the prop gun did not have any live rounds,” the affidavit said.

As the investigation proceeded, questions were raised about working conditions on the set of “Rust”, a small budget Western movie of which Baldwin was both star and a co-producer.

The Los Angeles Times and Deadline Hollywood cited several members of the crew and others close to the production as saying six or seven camera operators had walked off the “Rust” set hours before the tragedy.

Both outlets also reported that there had been at least one previous misfire with the prop gun.

“We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!” one camera crew member wrote on a private Facebook page, according to Deadline.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the accounts. Rust Movie Productions did not respond to a request for comment on Friday but said in a statement it was investigating.

“Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down,” the company said in its statement.

Baldwin, 63, on Friday expressed his “shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident” that killed Hutchins. In a message on his social media accounts, he said his “heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) said in a statement that it was devastated to learn of the death of Hutchins, who was a member of the union.

Hutchins’ representatives in a statement said they “hope this tragedy will reveal new lessons for how to better ensure safety for every crew member on set.”

Hutchins, 42, who was originally from Ukraine, was named one of American Cinematographer’s Rising Stars of 2019. Her last social media post, two days ago, shows her grinning under a wide-brimmed hat as she rides a horse. “One of the perks of shooting a western is you get to ride horses on your day off:)” she captioned the video.

Known for his impersonations of former U.S. President Donald Trump on sketch show “Saturday Night Live,” Baldwin has appeared in more than 100 TV and film comedies and dramas, and won Emmy awards for his role as an egotistical TV network executive in the satire “30 Rock”.

The accident renewed debate about whether certain types of prop guns should be banned on TV and movie sets.

Brandon Lee, son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, died at age 28 after being fatally wounded in 1993 by a prop gun in an on-set accident while filming “The Crow.”

“I don’t understand why we would still use blank rounds in a day when you could simulate them,” indie film director and producer Ben Rock told Reuters on Friday.

 

(Reporting by Adria Malcolm in Santa Fe, Alexandra Ulmer in San Francisco and Bhargav Acharya in Bengaluru; Additional reporting by Brendan O’Brien and Don Pessin; Writing by Joseph Ax and Jill Serjeant; Editing by Karishma Singh, Noeleen Walder, Muralikumar Anantharaman, Mike Collett-White, Gareth Jones and Daniel Wallis)

Media

My Media Release – Hamilton Police Service

Published

 on


ATV Rider Suffers Serious Injuries in Collision

On Friday December 3, 2021 at 9:30pm, Hamilton Police and Hamilton Paramedics responded to Highland Road east of Fifth Road East for a single vehicle collision involving an ATV.

A 39 year old male was riding an ATV eastbound on Highland Road East when he lost control and was ejected off the vehicle.

The male was transported to the Hamilton General Hospital with serious injuries.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is requesting any witnesses to this collision to contact Police at (905) 546-4753 or (905) 546-4755.

To provide information anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Canadiens executive vice-president Jeff Gorton marks new era, meets Montreal media – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


It’s been the talk of the town among sports fans for the past week: the Montreal Canadiens firing longtime general manager Marc Bergevin and bringing in Jeff Gorton as executive vice-president. The newly appointed VP met with the Montreal media for the first time Friday morning to mark the start of a new era.

The former New York Rangers general manager started by attempting to say a few sentences in French. When finished, he thanked owner Geoff Molson and said, “I hope that was OK.”

Gorton said working for the Habs is a dream. He feels like the Original Six franchise is a good fit, despite the fact that the Massachusetts-born VP grew up cheering for the Boston Bruins.

“You know, the Canadians broke my heart a lot of times. That’s my first memories, like in 1979, probably sticks out as the first one,” he told reporters.

Gorton insisted that he’s just starting out in his new role and he’s still getting a feel for the team. Regardless, the executive vice-president plans to work on player development and wants to add an analytics team.

Read more:

Call of the Wilde — Colorado Avalanche easily handle Montreal Canadiens 4-1

“I do believe in analytics and I think that the way the game has gone, I think it’s a big piece of information that you need to have,” said Gorton.

A big piece missing from his qualifications is that Gorton doesn’t speak French. He said he’s learning — his wife even bought him lessons — and asks for patience.

“I wanted to be great at golf and I still stink. Right? So I will do my best,” he said, chuckling.

Fans seem to support his effort, saying it’s not language that will help the Habs get out of this season’s slump.

“He did some sentences in French this morning, so I think it’s a good step forward,” said fan Patrick Gervais.

Read more:

Call of the Wilde — The Montreal Canadiens’ future begins to take shape

The team is still looking for a French-speaking general manager to complement Gorton. Former Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy has expressed interest in the position. But Gorton says he has yet to draw up a shortlist, adding that it’s unlikely Bergevin’s successor will be named before Christmas.

“I don’t want to commit to anybody. I don’t want to say no to anybody so people can keep calling me if they like,” he said.

However, Global News hockey analyst Brian Wilde doesn’t expect Roy to get the job.

Instead, he said he thinks Molson and Gorton would like “someone who has a lot of experience in scouting and has some experience as an assistant general manager.”

“I think Mark Madden fits the role in Anaheim,” said Wilde.

Wilde says he liked what he heard from Gorton on Friday. But the executive vice-president kept his cards close so fans will have to wait to see what the Gorton era brings.

“I don’t think we got our answer to whether it’s going to be a full rebuild, and I think we’re going to have to wait just to see how many moves he makes,” said Wilde.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Montreal real estate broker fined $1500 for English-language social media ad – CTV News Montreal

Published

 on


MONTREAL —
A Montreal real estate broker has picked up a hefty fine for posting a social media ad in English only.

REMAX Broker Qiang Zhong said he was issued the ticket of $1,500 by the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) over the post, which advertised one of his properties.

Zhong said he didn’t mind picking up the bill. “I know the government just wants to promote a French language,” he said. “I don’t have any personal emotion against this stuff.”

The fine came from a violation of Article 52 of Quebec’s French Charter, which states that, “catalogues, brochures, folders, commercial directories and any similar publications must be drawn up in French.”

The OQLF said it became aware of the infraction after a complaint on Oct. 23, 2019.

Zhong said he’s been working as a broker in Montreal for more than a decade after moving here from China, where he’s used to navigating between languages: Mandarin, the official language of Mainlaind China, and Cantonese, which is also common in his home province of Guangdong.

He said he’s still connected with his home communities, and has helped several new Chinese immigrants find homes in Montreal. He said he also encourages newcomers to learn French — the province’s official language.

“Even though I got the bill, I still love Montreal,” he said. “I could get double or triple the money in Toronto in Vancouver, but I want to stay here.”

He also said the ad brought prospective buyers to the REMAX website, which can be viewed in both French and English.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending