Samsung Electronics confirmed Thursday that it’s releasing another foldable smartphone this year with a different design from its previous model, despite the rocky start the company had with this new style of handset.
“Currently we are focusing on launching the new foldable model of a new form factor and also focusing on further enhancing the level of completeness of the product in terms of the display, the design and the UX (user experience),” an executive said on the company’s fourth-quarter earnings call on Thursday.
The South Korean technology giant unveiled the Galaxy Fold, its first foldable phone last year. It was initially supposed to launch in April but kept breaking for some users. Samsung fixed the problems with the device and ended up launching it later in the year with a hefty price tag of $1,980.
Despite the problems with the Galaxy Fold, Samsung still feels that foldables are an important product.
“The foldable phone has actually opened a new category of a super premium product that’s differentiated from the existing smartphone offerings and we believe that going forward the foldable phone will become a main category in the overall mobile market,” the executive said.
Samsung did not elaborate on the price or the design of the new phone. But in October, at its developers conference, it released a video showing a couple of different concepts. One is a phone that opens outwards like its existing Galaxy Fold. The second is a sort-of “clamshell” design that opens upwards. It is similar to the way a user opens the Motorola Razr foldable device which was revived last year.
When contacted by CNBC, a Samsung spokesperson said it could not comment further beyond the earnings report.
A number of leaks over the past few months have suggested that Samsung is going forward with this design. A recent report from technology website WinFuture suggested the device could be called the Galaxy Z Flip and feature the clamshell-like design. None of these leaks have been verified by CNBC.
Samsung’s mobile division posted an 8% year-on-year rise in sales for the fourth quarter but it is facing tougher competition. Apple overtook Samsung in terms of smartphone shipment volumes in the fourth quarter. The South Korean firm is looking at foldables as a way to boost growth and is increasing production capacity for such devices.
Samsung Galaxy Unpacked, the company’s big unveiling event, is scheduled for February 11. At this event, Samsung usually unveils the next device in its flagship S Series. It’s unclear if it will also take the wraps off the new foldable handset.
“It’s difficult at this point of the year to share with you more specific sales volume exceptions, but we are also at the same time as preparing the new product … increasing our capacity for production of foldable products and we hope to supply foldable products to more customers this year,” a Samsung executive said.
‘Elden Ring’ Reveals Free PvP Colosseum Update, Hopefully Ahead Of DLC Announcement – Forbes
FromSoftware has just released a new trailer for an upcoming free update to Elden Ring that drops tomorrow, Wednesday December 7.
It’s a PvP-focused update to the game which will herd players into battles into the many colosseums doting the map, hence why it’s called the “Colosseum Update.” They just released a new trailer for it, which you can see below:
According to the official press release about the addition, we have some confirmation on what exactly the modes are that will be added:
“The Colosseums of Limgrave, Leyndell and Caelid will open their gates, allowing players to engage in battles such as duels, free-for-alls and team fights.”
In the trailer, we see a traditional 1v1 battle at the start, but it progresses to players fighting each other’s summons, and then finally a 3v3 team fight battle which is well beyond anything the game is currently capable of now.
Elden Ring has spent many months balancing all of its magic and weapon skills in an effort to try to create more parity in PvP, which has turned out to be a significant part of the game, and the core of the game’s endgame once you’ve done everything in PvE.
There is a theory that I personally subscribe to, that FromSoft is revealing this PvP update now and launching it tomorrow so it will not get drowned out by a potential announcement this Thursday at The Game Awards. There are rumblings, and fervent prayers, that this would be the stage in which they would finally announce sizable, PvE DLC for Elden Ring. We are well, well behind the pacing of past DLC announcements from FromSoft games, given that Elden Ring came out almost ten months ago now, but it’s obviously a bigger game than past ones. Elden Ring DLC repeatedly is brought up as the “World Premiere” at The Game Awards that everyone is hoping to see, and these days, with the demise of E3, it’s pretty much the biggest place in the industry to debut things, outside of first party PlayStation and Xbox showcases.
That’s the hope anyway, but the concrete facts right now are just that this PvP update will come tomorrow, so get your builds ready and find some teammates in order to take on the toughest PvP challenges in the game yet. Should be a lot of fun.
After Backlash, Overwatch 2's New Tank Will Be Easier To Unlock For Free – Kotaku
On Twitter, Overwatch 2 game director Aaron Keller tweeted that Blizzard had reviewed data from Season 1 and decided to move Ramattra from tier 55 to tier 45 in the battle pass. And some challenges will be made “easier” to complete.
“Hey, all! Quick update on some changes coming to Season 2,” said Keller. “After reviewing data for Season 1, we’re moving Ramattra into Tier 45 of the Battle Pass and making a few more weekly challenges easier to complete. Excited for you all to see everything new in Season 2 starting tomorrow!”
This is part of Blizzard’s ongoing efforts to make progression in the shooter “more rewarding.” Of course on Twitter, players were mixed. While many seemed happy about the change, others were still upset that the hero was locked behind such a high tier of the pass, suggesting a lower tier would be better.
Now, it should be noted that unlike in the original Overwatch—which added all characters for free for all players with no restrictions—Ramattra will still be locked behind a paywall unless you grind. But at least now the grind will be less terrible and once you hit 45 you can stop focusing on challenges and the battle pass and just enjoy your new character. Well, unless Blizzard removes him like Mei or Bastion for a few weeks.
Witcher 3’s Free DLC Update Doesn’t Have A Switch Release Date Yet
Next week sees the arrival of The Witcher 3‘s “next-gen” update across multiple platforms, but new information suggests it won’t be coming to the Nintendo Switch on the same date.
Our friends at Eurogamer caught up with CD Projekt Red ahead of the free update’s release, and apparently, there’s “no specific release date yet” for the Nintendo Switch version of the game. All that’s known is it will arrive “later than 14th December”.
Witcher 3 next-gen update producer Ryu Underhill mentioned how the team was “working hard to bring it to [Switch] players” as soon as possible, and more information will be shared in the near future.
When the Switch version of this update does arrive, players can expect the “same fixes and additional content” as other platforms like Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The Switch will also receive cloud-save and cross-progression features, as well as the new Netflix DLC. This new quest will last for about “half-an-hour”, according to Eurogamer:
“…it’s about half-an-hour’s worth, plus a bit more for a follow-up step. It was flagged as level 15…”
Obviously, the Switch update will not include “next-gen features such as visuals/technical/gameplay improvements, modes” or “other additions” exclusive to next-generation platforms.
Via Eurogamer: “The Witcher Netflix DLC is a new scavenger hunt-style quest that takes place inside The Devil’s Pit in Velen. The Devil’s Pit is the place you find yourself immediately after leaving the starter zone of White Orchard. It’s that big, circular, wooden-fence-ringed place where nothing seems to actually happen. Currently, there are only some humanoid enemies in there, and the big door to the mine is closed. This DLC opens those doors.”
You can see more of this next-generation update in our previous Witcher 3 coverage:
Are you looking forward to trying out this update? Comment below.
Media Advisory: Auditor General to Deliver Report on a Performance Audit of Adult Custody and Community Corrections – News Releases – Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
‘We need to be better’: Oilers continue to fight slow starts, costly turnovers – Sportsnet.ca
After lunar flyby, NASA’s Orion spacecraft is set to splashdown on Sunday – Ars Technica
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Sports23 hours ago
Deshaun Watson returns from ban, declines to express remorse
Economy23 hours ago
Russia’s Economic Prospects Have Gone From Bad To Terrible
Science22 hours ago
Clamshells Face the Acid Test
Politics24 hours ago
Macron shows his politics on Russia are bush league
News20 hours ago
Canada ‘watching closely’ as U.S. pressed to fix Inflation Reduction Act ‘glitches’
News17 hours ago
‘Bumbling and stumbling’: Alberta’s UCP caucus votes for changes to sovereignty bill
Science23 hours ago
Australia begins construction of its section of giant radio telescope
News21 hours ago
Federal Court set to hear case about repatriating Canadians detained in Syria