Connect with us

Health

US COVID-19 vaccine program to start manufacturing by late summer

Published

on

 

Drugmakers partnered with the US government are on track to begin actively manufacturing a vaccine for COVID-19 by the end of the summer, a senior administration official said on Monday.

“If you say exactly when will literally the vaccine materials be in production and manufacturing, it is probably four to six weeks away, but we will be actively manufacturing by the end of summer,” the official, who declined to be identified by name, said.

He added that the administration is already working with companies to equip and outfit manufacturing facilities and acquire raw materials.

The Trump administration has helped finance the development of four COVID-19 vaccines so far though its Operation Warp Speed Program, which aims to produce 300 million vaccine doses by the end of 2021.

The US government has given grants ranging from several hundred million dollars to over $1 billion to Johnson & Johnson , Moderna Inc, AstraZeneca Plc and Novovax Inc.

It also signed a $450 million contract earlier this month with Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc to help it supply therapies for patients who are sick with the virus.

Clinical trials for therapeutics can produce results in a matter of weeks, making it possible to produce hundreds of thousands of doses by fall, the senior administration official said.

“While we think is fair to say that vaccine progress is occurring at warp speed pace, faster than any vaccines have been developed in history, therapeutics are even faster,” the official said.

The “slate is not closed” for additional funding agreements and the administration plans to announce more in the future, the official said.

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 3 million people in the United States and killed more than 130,000.

Source:- The Jakarta Post

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta to provide COVID-19 update Wednesday afternoon – Global News

Published

on


As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health will provide an update on the province’s number of new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus Wednesday afternoon.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw will provide the update at 3:30 p.m.

The news conference will be streamed live in this article.

Read more:
85 additional cases of COVID-19 in Alberta Tuesday, over half of them recorded in the Edmonton zone

On Tuesday, the province saw a slight decrease in active cases, with 85 people testing positive for COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 1,004, 84 less than the day before.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Of those active cases, 64 people were in hospital with the virus and 14 people were receiving treatment in intensive care.

Story continues below advertisement

Since Alberta’s first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus back in March, as of Aug. 11, Alberta has recorded 11,772, of those, 10,552 Albertans have recovered.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Four new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region on Wednesday – KitchenerToday.com

Published

on


Region of Waterloo Public Health reported four new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday morning.

Two are due to community transmission, while the other pair are tied to travel.

So far this week, there have been 12 new cases, and a total of 1,410 since March.

The number of active cases increased by three to 25, with two of those cases currently receiving treatment in hospital.

One more case has also been resolved, improving that total to 1,263.

A total of 119 local deaths have been linked to the virus, but there have been no additional deaths reported since July 17.

Meantime, an outbreak remains active at A.R. Goudie long-term care – a resident tested positive, but no more residents or staff have since it was first declared on August 3.

Here’s the provincial COVID-19 breakdown for Wednesday:

  • 40,289 total cases (95 new)
  • 49 people are being treated in hospital
  • 36,590 resolved cases
  • 2,787 deaths (one new)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Cape Breton's Route 19 brewery closed indefinitely after customer failed to self-isolate – Global News

Published

on


A brewery in Inverness, N.S., says it’s closing until further notice after a customer visited the restaurant on Sunday while failing to self-isolate after travelling to the province.

The Nova Scotia government still requires anyone travelling from outside of the four Atlantic provinces to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as a precautionary measure against the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Read more:
Nova Scotia reports no new coronavirus cases on Tuesday

Stefan Gagliardi, chief beer officer at the Route 19 Brewing Tap and Grill, told Global News on Wednesday that the brewery will remain closed as a precautionary measure.

“We found out (someone failed to self-isolate) through one of our employees who overheard a conversation elsewhere later on Sunday, and they brought it up to us,” he said over the phone.

Story continues below advertisement

RCMP investigated and confirmed to Global News that they have charged a 38-year-old woman from British Columbia under the province’s Health Protection Act, which carries a $1,000 fine.






2:14
Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules


Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules

Gagliardi said that the Nova Scotia Health Authority has told staff and visitors to Route 19 on Sunday to monitor for symptoms and to go to the 811 website for further direction if symptoms develop.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The brewery was told it didn’t need to close as it was not a confirmed case of coronavirus, but it still left workers feeling uncertain.

It doesn’t feel good. It’s not a good feeling because our staff didn’t feel safe,” he said.

“As a business and, you know, our staff together, we decided we weren’t willing to take that risk.”

Story continues below advertisement

The facility was thoroughly sanitized on Monday morning but the restaurant will remain closed until further notice.

READ MORE: Coronavirus took their lives. Here’s how their families will remember them

The closure will affect about 30 people including, kitchen and cleaning crews, bartenders, waiters and waitresses, Gagliardi said.

He says that people should follow the health recommendations set out by the province.

“It just affects us in a way that feels a little bit unfair because everybody is trying to do their best,” he said.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending