Connect with us

Health

2 more Manitobans with COVID-19 die – CBC.ca

Published

on


There are 17 new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba and two more people have died, a provincial news bulletin says Tuesday.

The two deaths are both in the Southern Health Region: a man in his 80s from the Hanover health district and a man in his 90s from the Niverville-Ritchot health district.

The men were in hospital and their COVID-19 cases were connected to known clusters.

Of the 17 new cases, 11 are in the Winnipeg health region, two are in the Interlake-Eastern region, two are in Prairie Mountain and two are in Southern Health.

Most of the Winnipeg cases are connected to known cases, but there are cases in which public health officials haven’t determined where the patients contracted the coronavirus.

A previously announced case was removed from the list, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Manitoba to 748. There are 235 active cases, while 502 people have recovered from COVID-19.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity average is 1.8 per cent. 

The number of active cases continues to rise. In the past several days, the province has had new cases in the double digits and the number of active cases is higher now than it ever has been.

This chart illustrates where active cases of COVID-19 are in the province, with red indicating Winnipeg cases, yellow for Prairie Mountain, green for Southern Health and blue for Interlake-Eastern. The Northern Health Region has only had three cases. (Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

An additional 1,028 lab tests were completed on Monday, bringing the total number of tests completed since early February to 116,990.

Unless they’re advised otherwise by public health officials, only those experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should go for testing. People with symptoms are asked to seek testing as soon as possible once symptoms are present.

Meanwhile, four health-care workers tested positive for COVID-19 between Aug. 2 and 8, the latest public data says.

A spokesperson from Shared Health told CBC News that two are Prairie Mountain Health employees, whose positive tests came back on Aug. 1 and Aug. 8, respectively; one is a Southern Health employee, whose positive test came back Aug. 5; and one is a Winnipeg health region employee, whose positive test came back on Aug. 8.

Manitoba has the third highest number of active COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people in the country. (Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

One of the cases was cleared to return to work last week, while the others remain active cases, the spokesperson said.

Investigators are still looking into how the person at Bethesda Place became infected, he said at a news conference on Monday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Public Health Sudbury reports area's 102nd case of COVID-19 – Sudbury.com

Published

on


Public Health Sudbury & Districts is reporting a new COVID-19 case in its service area.

Through contact tracing, Public Health will notify all close contacts directly. If you are not contacted by Public Health, you are not considered a close contact.

The 102nd case in this area was tested Sept. 17, and is self-isolating. The person, who is from Greater Sudbury, has unknown exposure (no travel and no contact with a known case).

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Staff and patients part of outbreak at Foothills Medical Centre – 660 NEWS – 660 News

Published

on


CALGARY (CityNews) — An outbreak has been declared at Calgary’s Foothills Medical Centre.

Alberta Health Services says that a small number of patients, along with two members of staff within one unit at the hospital, have tested positive for COVID-19.

Visitors to the unit are being restricted to end of life situations until further notice.

Testing is being offered to all patients within the affected unit, and outbreak control measures have been implemented.

Healthcare workers are responsible for self-assessing any symptoms before reporting to work, while patients who test positive for the virus are treated and isolated in designated rooms.

In a statement, AHS asserts that the hospital remains safe to visit and that there is no increased risk to visitors or patients at the hospital.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

AHS declares COVID-19 outbreak on 3 units at Calgary’s Foothills Medical Centre – Global News

Published

on


Alberta Health Services confirmed Sunday that it declared a COVID-19 outbreak on three units at the Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary after nine patients and two staff members tested positive for the virus.

“We anticipate this situation will continue to evolve as test results come in and we will provide daily updates,” AHS communications manager Melissa Ballantyne said.

Read more:
AHS declares COVID-19 outbreak at Calgary’s Peter Lougheed Centre

All patients on the unit are offered testing, and contact tracing is ongoing, AHS said.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“While we appreciate it may be difficult for some, visitors to this one unit are limited to only end-of-life situations until further notice,” AHS said in a statement to Global News.

The health authority said all AHS facilities follow “rigorous infection prevention and control standards,” saying that health-care workers are asked to self-assess for COVID-19 symptoms and exposure risk using a screening tool in addition to masking.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Auburn Bay school in Calgary

“The Foothills Medical Centre remains a safe place to visit and to receive care. There is no increased risk to patients coming to the hospital,” AHS said.

“Any patient with symptoms, or who has tested positive for COVID-19, is isolated and treated in designated rooms.”

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending