Connect with us

Health

Alberta adds 37 new cases of COVID-19, cases at Misericorida hospital continue to rise – CTV News

Published

on


EDMONTON —
Alberta registered 37 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, increasing the active case total to 509 province wide.

Hospitalization numbers saw a sharp decrease Friday, from 38 to 27, but ICU admissions remained at eight, according to Alberta’s COVID-19 data website.

There were no new deaths reported Friday.

Edmonton still has the most active infections with 223, with Calgary second at 178.

Alberta has had 7,888 cases, 7,225 recoveries and 154 deaths to date.

Hospital outbreak

Officials at the Misericorida Community Hospital in Edmonton are still responding to COVID-19 outbreaks on two units.

As of Friday, the hospital has nine patients who have tested positive for the virus, an increase of three cases since Thursday. There are also seven staff members who have tested positive, an increase of two since Thursday.

One patient at the hospital also died as a result of the virus on Thursday.

Hospital officials said outbreak protocols have been implemented, and only urgent emergent and oncology surgeries are being performed.

All patients on the affected units are being tested, as well as staff members who have worked on been present on the units, even if they are not showing symptoms.

Visitors to the affected units are being restricted.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta reports 47 new cases of COVID-19 and 2 new deaths – CBC.ca

Published

on


Alberta reported 47 new cases of COVID-19 in the province over the last 24 hours Tuesday.

The province also recorded two new deaths, bringing the total number to 157.

Both deaths involved men in their 70s and are linked to an outbreak at the Misericordia Community Hospital in Edmonton.

The hospital closed its doors to most new patients on Monday, instituting a series of “aggressive” pandemic protocols to combat an outbreak currently linked to 17 patients and 15 staff.

The number of active cases in the province is now at 620, with 54 people in hospital and six of those patients in intensive care.

The breakdown of active cases across the province is:

  • Edmonton zone: 243
  • Calgary zone: 230
  • South zone: 86
  • North zone: 51
  • Central zone: 4
  • Unknown: 6

A total of 7,659 people have recovered from the illness in Alberta.

So far provincial laboratories have conducted 493,935 swab tests for COVID-19.

The County Of Warner No. 5 in southern Alberta continues to be listed as under a “watch,” a designation that kicks in when an area has at least 10 active cases and a rate of more than 50 active cases per 100,000 population.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Arra to require masks within 10 days in Grey-Bruce – Owen Sound Sun Times

Published

on


Masks will be mandatory in Grey-Bruce in enclosed public spaces within 10 days, Dr. Ian Arra announced Tuesday, July 7, 2020. (file photo)

jpg, PO

People in Grey-Bruce will soon be required to wear masks in indoor settings where there is public interaction.

Dr. Ian Arra, the medical officer of health, said details remain to be finalized, including how enforcement would work. But there will be exemptions based on the honour system for people with conditions that prevent mask-wearing, he said.

“With reopening and less compliance, we might see more risk of transmission. And that’s why we pulled the trigger on this mandating to get that added benefit before things go to increased cases,” Arra said in an interview Tuesday afternoon.

He anticipates mask use will increase after the order. According to a news release to announce the mask order, expected to be made within 10 days, there is evidence doing so decreases the transmission of the disease through respiratory droplets.

Arra stressed masks are no silver bullet, just added protection to augment the same safety practices that have been successful at limiting transmission of the virus since mid-March, such as hand-washing and physical and social distancing.

The approach will be to empower businesses with an order to create a policy requiring masks among customers and employees, with the option of asking people to leave if they don’t comply, possibly utilizing trespass laws.

It would apply to a grocery store, for example, but not the back offices of the store.

Arra said in an interview he’s inclined to consider business exemptions in cases where businesses are already employing effective measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, such as face shields and physical distancing, which might make mask-wearing redundant, he said.

He said he met electronically with mayors of all 17 Grey-Bruce municipalities Friday and received general agreement that an order should be issued, followed by municipal bylaws governing mask-wearing, which take longer.

He said he wants to consult more to help refine the order. If it were signed Friday, the order would provide time before people would have to comply, Arra said.

He said data and observations of public behaviour drove his decision now to require mask-wearing in places the public may gather indoors.

The epidemiological data and compliance with advice to wear a mask has remained steady, he said. But physical and social distancing compliance has fallen off.

“We have seen evidence of lower compliance with those things. And that’s expected. It’s difficult to sustain these interventions, social distancing and physical distancing for so long.”

Arra said the order is also being issued now for consistency with other jurisdictions that are also implementing mask-wearing requirements.

Before the order comes into effect, Arra said there must be ways to provide equity for all citizens, including the homeless who, without access to free masks, would be in violation of his order.

Bruce Power’s 150,000 mask donation should address that, he suggested.

* * *

A surge in requests for testing at one assessment centre from people claiming the health unit sent them concerns the medical officer of health.

Dr. Ian Arra issued a news release Tuesday featuring an example, the discovery of a case of COVID-19 on Friday, July 3 in West Grey. News of the case got around the community quickly and prompted some people to show up at an assessment centre falsely claiming the health unit told them to get tested, Arra said. Some also called the health unit or shared concerns on social media.

Arra said this was driven by anxiety. He said he issued the release to reassure the public that if they didn’t get a call from public health “it’s a good day.”

He said health unit staff effectively trace contacts of any COVID-19-infected people within 24 hours. “We asked a number of people, a handful of people, (who) needed to self-isolate, go get tested, observe for symptoms.”

Arra said it was quiet over the weekend but then Tuesday morning someone at an assessment centre said they saw 50 extra people compared to any other day, and many of them said we were sent by public health.

Arra called that “alarming, why somebody would claim that they were asked by public health to go if public health didn’t.” He didn’t know if all those who claimed public health sent them originated with the West Grey case.

He offered reassurance in the release: “If there was potential risk of transmission, full response and control is implemented. The lack of hospitalization and death shows the high success rate of our outbreak management.”

“Ontario provincial government made testing widely available to all. A person does not need to falsely claim direction from public health to access testing.”

The release said wrongly claiming the health unit sent you for testing could introduce bias in the lab data.

* * *

Just two active reported cases of COVID-19 remain in Grey-Bruce, the Grey Bruce Health Unit announced Tuesday.

There were no new cases reported in the 24 hours prior to 3:30 p.m.

In all, there have been 114 cases, 107 recovered and five cases referred to other health units. There have been zero deaths and currently no one is hospitalized for the virus. Twenty-eight health care workers working in Grey-Bruce caught the bug.

There are currently no long-term care or retirement home outbreaks of COVID-19.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

London-Middlesex marks 3rd day of no new coronavirus cases – Global News

Published

on


For the third day in a row, health officials in London and Middlesex are reporting no new coronavirus cases in the region.

Two people have recovered, according to the health unit, bringing the number of recoveries to 517.

A total of 630 people have contracted the virus in London and Middlesex during the pandemic, a vast majority — 585 — in London, Ont. Fifty-seven people have also died, a tally that has remained unchanged since June 12.

Read more:
6 months of basic income during coronavirus could cost Canada $98B: PBO

Three recoveries were reported on Monday, while one recovery was reported on Sunday. Saturday saw one new case and one recovery, while Friday saw two cases and two recoveries.

A graph from MLHU showing the number of new cases of COVID-19 in London and Middlesex by reported date, Jan 24 to July 6, 2020.


A graph from MLHU showing the number of new cases of COVID-19 in London and Middlesex by reported date, Jan 24 to July 6, 2020.


Middlesex-London Health Unit

According to health unit figures, this recent stretch of no new cases is the longest since mid-March when three days passed between the region’s second and third COVID-19 cases being reported on March 12 and March 16, respectively.

Story continues below advertisement

Outside of London, Strathroy-Caradoc has seen 22 cases, while Middlesex Centre has seen 10, Thames Centre six, North Middlesex five, and Lucan Biddulph and Southwest Middlesex one each.

Read more:
London-Middlesex may enter Stage 3 of reopening near the end of July: MLHU

The region’s seven-day average for new cases stands at 0.57 per day as of Tuesday. Looking back 14 days to June 23, the average is 1.4. In comparison, the region’s seven-day average was 13 per day between April 1 and 7.

On Monday, the region’s medical officer of health, Dr. Chris Mackie, remarked during the health unit’s media briefing that London and Middlesex could be in Stage 3 of the province’s reopening framework by the end of the month.

“I think (we) could see a move to Stage 3 over the next two-to-three weeks. I would not be surprised at all to see that,” Mackie said.

“I also think that it’s likely the province will choose to do a regional approach as they did with the Stage 2 reopening.”

According to the province, Stage 3 will allow restaurants and bars to resume dine-in services, will permit performing arts shows and cinemas to operate with limited seating capacity, and will see casinos, gyms, and amusement parks reopen, all with public health measures in place.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Virtual clinic to support coronavirus patients launched in London, Ont.

According to the health unit, no outbreaks are currently active at long-term care and retirement homes in the region.

The last active outbreak was deemed resolved on Thursday at Westmount Gardens. At least three staff members had tested positive.

No less than 26 outbreaks have been reported locally, including 21 that have been at long-term care and retirement homes.

The facilities account for 180 of the region’s cases and 37 of its deaths.

Read more:
Scientists warn coronavirus could be airborne — What does this mean for Canadians?

Hospitalizations remain low in the region, according to London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC).

While an exact tally isn’t known, the number of hospitalized cases is between zero and five, based on LHSC’s guidelines for releasing a tally.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

St. Joseph’s Health Care London had no COVID-19 patients in its care at any of its facilities as of Tuesday.

Of the region’s cases, 112 have had to be hospitalized, including 31 who have needed intensive care.

Story continues below advertisement

The most recent case to be reported that required intensive care at some point was on May 27, according to health unit data.

Ontario

Provincially, Ontario reported 112 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and two new deaths.

The total number of cases now stands at 36,060, which includes 31,603 marked as resolved and 2,691 deaths.

The province is also reporting 177 newly resolved cases.

Read more:
112 new coronavirus cases, 2 deaths in Ontario; total cases at 36,060

Ontario completed more than 15,100 tests for the novel coronavirus over the previous 24 hours.

Story continues below advertisement






1:00
Coronavirus: Ontario health minister says there’s ‘hope’ for move to stage 3 soon


Coronavirus: Ontario health minister says there’s ‘hope’ for move to stage 3 soon

The number of people in hospital because of the virus increased slightly, while patients in ICUs and on ventilators decreased.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says 28 of the province’s 34 public health units are reporting five or fewer cases, with 23 reporting no new cases at all.

The Ford government is set to introduce new legislation that will extend some pandemic emergency orders over the next year.

Read more:
Ontario introduces bill to extend some pandemic emergency measures over the next year

The bill will be introduced at Queen’s Park Tuesday afternoon, said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones.

The proposed law would allow the government to extend or amend some emergency orders a month at a time, with the law expiring a year after it’s passed.

Story continues below advertisement

Elgin and Oxford

One person has recovered from the novel coronavirus, officials with Southwestern Public Health (SWPH) reported Tuesday.

The cumulative number of cases remains unchanged at 85, of which 78 have recovered and five have died.

The health unit reported no new cases, deaths, or recoveries on Monday, reported one new case over the weekend and announced one death and one new case on Friday. It was the first death in the region since April 22.

Read more:
Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Two active cases remain in the region, both in Elgin County — one in Dutton/Dunwich, the other in Malahide.

Story continues below advertisement

Overall, Elgin County has seen 41 confirmed cases of the virus, including 18 in St. Thomas, while Oxford County has seen 44, including 15 in Woodstock.

A total of three outbreaks have been reported, all since-resolved with no deaths.

At least 8,839 tests have been conducted in Elgin and Oxford counties, with 132 people still awaiting test results.

The test per cent positivity rate remains at one per cent.

Huron and Perth

No new cases, deaths, or recoveries were reported Tuesday by officials with Huron Perth Public Health.

The cumulative number of cases in the region remains unchanged at 58, with 52 recoveries and five deaths.

The health unit reported no new cases, deaths, or recoveries on Monday, and reported a new case on Friday. No update was issued over the weekend.

The lone active case in the region is in Perth County.

Fourteen cases have been reported overall in Perth, according to the health unit.

Read more:
Coronavirus: One-time, tax-free payment for eligible seniors coming this week

Story continues below advertisement

Elsewhere, 26 cases and four deaths have been reported in Stratford, 14 cases have been reported in Huron County, and four cases and one death have been reported in St. Marys.

The four Stratford deaths were linked to a since-resolved outbreak at Greenwood Court.






1:17
Coronavirus: Trudeau says it’s ‘very clear’ Canada’s system of senior care has failed


Coronavirus: Trudeau says it’s ‘very clear’ Canada’s system of senior care has failed

The outbreak, which ended May 11, is among at least nine outbreaks that have been reported in the region during the outbreak. All have since resolved, with a total of 23 cases and four deaths reported.

As of Tuesday, 9,279 people had been tested in the region.

Sarnia and Lambton

One person has recovered from the novel coronavirus, officials with Lambton Public Health (LPH) reported late Monday.

Story continues below advertisement

The cumulative number of cases in the region remains unchanged at 286, of which now 259 have recovered.

Twenty-five people have also died, leaving two active cases in the region, according to the health unit.

Health officials reported no new cases, deaths, or recoveries late Sunday, and reported one recovery late Saturday and one case late Friday.

No people were being treated for COVID-19 at Bluewater Health hospital in Sarnia as of Tuesday morning.

The hospital hasn’t seen a COVID-19 patient in its care since June 14. A total of 57 people have been hospitalized in the county for the virus, with the most recent admission on May 31.

Read more:
The race for a vaccine: China leads the way in a potential coronavirus treatment

According to the health unit, 40 per cent of cases in the region are linked to outbreaks, while 36 per cent are from close contact of a positive case.

The region has seen eight outbreaks declared at seniors’ homes, largely in Sarnia, while one outbreak was declared at Bluewater Health after three staff members who worked in the hospital’s since-closed COVID-19 unit tested positive.

At least 19 staff have contracted the virus during the pandemic.

Story continues below advertisement

According to health unit figures, 22 per cent of cases involve health-care workers in the province.

People over the age of 80 make up a quarter of all cases, followed by people in their 50s at 16 per cent, people in their 20s at 14 per cent, and people in their 70s at 11 per cent.

Read more:
Nick Cordero widow Amanda Kloots performs late husband’s song in final musical tribute

At least 13,086 test results have been received by local health officials.

According to the health unit, 2.2 per cent of tests have come back positive as of late Monday.

— With files from the Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending