Connect with us

Business

As May comes to a close, Alberta has 584 active cases of COVID-19 and 143 people have died – CTV News

Published

on


EDMONTON —
Alberta reported 18 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases to 584.

No additional deaths were reported.

There are currently 52 people in hospital; six of them are in intensive care.

The case breakdown across the province is as follows:

  • Calgary zone: 440 active cases and 4,330 recovered
  • South zone: 42 active cases and 1,184 recovered
  • Edmonton zone: 69 active cases and 464 recovered
  • North zone: 28 active cases and 202 recovered
  • Central zone: two active cases and 95 recovered
  • Three active cases and eight recovered cases in zones to be confirmed

There are currently 61 active cases in continuing care facilities in the province, and 659 people have recovered. A total of 109 residents have died.

In total, there have been 143 deaths in Alberta.

In the last 24 hours, there have been 3,138 tests completed.

As of May 31, 6,283 Albertans have recovered from COVID-19. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

China Moly strikes $550m precious metal deal with Elliott-backed miner – Financial Times

Published

on


China Molybdenum Co has sold the rights to future gold and silver production from its Northparkes mine in Australia to a company backed by US hedge fund Elliott Management.

Under the deal announced on Sunday, CMOC, which is listed in Shanghai and Hong Kong, will receive $550m in cash upfront from Triple Flag Precious Metals Corp plus ongoing payments in return for gold and silver output from the mine.

The agreement between CMOC, which has a market value of $12bn, and Triple Flag is the first so-called streaming transaction involving a Chinese mining company.

Royalty and streaming transactions — acquiring long-term rights to buy metal from mines in return for an upfront payment — have become big business in recent years. Companies active in the space include Franco-Nevada, Wheaton Precious Metals, Royal Gold and Triple Flag.

Many big streaming and royalty deals were announced during the commodity prices crash of 2014 to 2016 as cash-strapped miners rushed to bolster their balance sheets and reduce debt. 

While the mining industry is in much better financial shape today, bankers still expect a steady flow of royalty and streaming deals this year as the relative value of gold to copper provides an opportunity to tap into a fresh form of financing.

“This transaction provides CMOC with a long-term financing arrangement at a compelling cost of capital and demonstrates significant value from the gold and silver byproduct production from Northparkes,” said CMOC executive Li Chaochun. “Additionally, CMOC maintains its core exposure to copper production in alignment with our future plans for the mine.”

Gold has been one of the best performing assets in 2020, rising almost 20 per cent to a nine-year high of more than $1,800 an ounce, while copper is up just 3.5 per cent.

In a recent interview with Bloomberg, David Harquail, the chief executive of Franco-Nevada said there was a large number of base-metal companies considering selling big precious-metal streams from their assets.

Located 380km west of Sydney, Northparkes is an underground copper mine that also produces gold and silver as a byproduct. Last year, it churned out 36,000 tonnes of copper, 25,000 ounces of gold and 308,000 ounce of silver.

Toronto-based Triple Flag is run by Shaun Usmar, the former chief financial officer of Barrick Gold. It was founded four years ago with financial backing from Elliott and now has 40 assets in its portfolio.

The deal with CMOC is its biggest to date and the ninth-largest in the history of the streaming industry. The support of Elliott has allowed the company to write large cheques for big streaming deals.

CMOC has been one of the most acquisitive Chinese mining companies. In 2016 it paid $2.65bn for Tenke Fungurume, the giant copper and cobalt mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and spent $1.5bn to purchase Anglo American’s niobium and phosphate mines in Brazil.

It purchased an 80 per cent stake in Northparkes, a fully mechanised, underground mine, from Rio Tinto in 2013 for $830m. The rest of the mine is owned by Sumitomo Metal Mining.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

NL Unemployment Rate Up Slightly in June – VOCM

Published

on


The unemployment rate in Newfoundland and Labrador rose slightly last month to 16.5 per cent from 16.3 in May. Nationally, the rate stood at 12.3 per cent.

Alberta is second-highest among provinces at 15.5 followed by PEI at 15.2, Nova Scotia and BC at 13.0. New Brunswick is below double digits at 9.9 per cent.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

No new COVID-19 cases reported Saturday as N.L. passes 20K people tested – CBC.ca

Published

on



Newfoundland and Labrador has tested more than 20,000 people, as no new cases of COVID-19 are being reported Saturday. (Pavel Mikheyev/Reuters)

One day after the province’s first new positive case in 43 days, Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 Saturday.

According to a news release from the provincial government, the province’s total caseload remains at 262, with 258 people having recovered from the virus. There have been three deaths.

The province crossed 20,000 people tested as of Saturday, as 20,175 people have been tested — a jump of 205 in the last day.

On Saturday, the province provided an update on its first new case of COVID-19 since May 28.

The case is related to recent travel from the United States, and involves a man in his 50s in the Eastern Health region. The government reported Friday that the man did not travel through the Atlantic provinces during his return to the province.

In Saturday’s news release, health officials say contact tracing around the new positive case has been completed, with everyone considered a close contact testing negative for the virus. Close contacts of the man have also been advised to quarantine.

Government added the man was not symptomatic during travel and followed the province’s self-isolation protocol. As a result, they say risk to the public is low.

The latest COVID-19 information will continue to come via emailed statements on all days except Wednesdays, as the province’s COVID-19 media briefings have been scaled back to once a week.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending