The Toronto Blue Jays once again fell victim to a loaded AL East division and are left on the outside of the postseason, but this time it stings a little bit more.
Despite winning their final contest, destroying the Orioles by a score of 12-4 and putting their season win total to 91, it was all up to the other teams in the American League wild-card race, the Yankees and the Red Sox, to lose their respective last games — which they did not, earning them both a spot in that single-elimination matchup.
Toronto seemed to be every neutral fan’s bandwagon as opposed to those two historic powerhouses. With a Cy Young candidate in Robbie Ray and two AL MVP contenders in Marcus Semien and Vlad Guerrero Jr., there was simply nothing not to love about this team as they smashed home runs like they were nothing, moving their astronomical run differential even further into the stratosphere.
Even members of the professional baseball media world — and a former Toronto ace — were remembering this rendition of the Blue Jays as a special one.
Though there was ultimately some respect shown by the professionals, Blue Jays fans and supporters of other clubs were in their own feelings about this team. It was hard to watch it come down to the wire for some, but in the end there’s hope for the future.
Breaking hearts, breaking minds, and breaking spirits — it’s truly the Toronto sports way.
Over the course of the Blue Jays season, there were many questions raised and now with this entertaining team missing the playoffs by just a single win, they’re getting dug up again.
Throughout the first half, it was a story of bullpen chaos and letting winnable games slip through their fingers. At times, many felt it was questionable game management from bench boss Charlie Montoyo that let some wins get past them, while many also feel that the management group may have waited a little too long to acquire the bullpen help Toronto so desperately needed.
With the 2021 campaign crashing to a sudden end, one of the most important off-seasons in the team’s history is about to kick off.
Two of their top contributors, Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien, are heading to free agency this summer and expecting significant pay raises. More transactional drama is imminent, but at least they and they’re teammates are already openly and positively talking about the subject.
Time will tell, but more heads will certainly be turned north to see what the Blue Jays do this winter.
More from Yahoo Sports
Astros' Garcia to start Game 6 of ALCS against Red Sox – Sportsnet.ca
Garcia started Game 2 and gave up a grand slam in the first inning before leaving with no outs in the second because of discomfort in his right knee. Manager Dusty Baker announced Thursday that Garcia would get the ball for Game 6 and said the Astros are confident the problem is behind Garcia and he’ll be 100% healthy for Friday’s start.
The Astros fell behind 2-1 in the series after two big wins by the Red Sox. But they rode their powerful offence to consecutive victories in the last two games to take the series lead and move within a win of advancing to the World Series for the second time in three seasons.
The Astros won the championship in 2017, a crown tainted by the team’s sign-stealing scandal, before losing to the Washington Nationals in seven games in the 2019 World Series.
The Red Sox previously announced that Nathan Eovaldi would start Game 6. Eovaldi got the win in a solid Game 2 start but was charged with the loss in Game 4 after giving up the go-ahead runs after coming in with the game tied in the ninth.
The Astros got eight terrific innings from Framber Valdez in a 9-1 win in Game 5. The performance gave Houston’s taxed bullpen a much-needed break after relievers pitched 29 1/3 innings combined through the first four games.
Baker said Jake Odorizzi would be available for long relief Friday if needed. Odorizzi threw 82 pitches in four innings in Game 2 after taking over following the injury to Garcia.
Baker also said rookie center fielder Jake Meyers, who hasn’t played this series after injuring his shoulder in the final game of the ALDS, probably wouldn’t return to the lineup in this series. He said Meyers could pinch-run or pinch-hit but isn’t ready to return to the field. Fellow rookies Chas McCormick and rookie Jose Siri have filled in at center against the Red Sox.
Houston is without ace Lance McCullers Jr. for this series because of a flexor pronator muscle strain in his right arm. Baker said Thursday that McCullers still hasn’t resumed throwing, so it’s unclear if he would be available to return if the Astros were to advance.
If necessary, Game 7 would be Saturday night in Houston.
NFL Prop Picks For Browns vs. Broncos: Bet This Donovan Peoples-Jones Over/Under On Thursday Night Football – The Action Network
Jason Miller/Getty Images. Pictured: Donovan Peoples-Jones #11 of the Cleveland Browns celebrates after a touchdown
Sean Koerner, our Director of Predictive Analytics, is highlighting his favorite player prop for every primetime game throughout the 2021 season. He has a 428-326-6 (56%) all-time record on NFL bets he’s tracked in the Action app.
Broncos-Browns Prop Bet
Donovan Peoples-Jones Under 2.5 Receptions
Editor’s Note: Now that Odell Beckham Jr. is officially active, Browns player props are off the board at most books.
Peoples-Jones has been on fire over the past two weeks, posting lines of 5/70/0 & 4/101/2 against the Chargers and Cardinals, respectively. However, I believe it’s time to “sell high” on him as he’s due for some regression.
He’s caught a ridiculous 86.7% of his targets this season despite seeing an aDot of 15.7. Players with an aDot that high typically average a catch rate in the 57-60% range.
There are a few other reasons why my projections are lower for him compared to the market:
- Case Keenum is starting in place of Baker Mayfield tonight. Peoples-Jones has shown great chemistry with Mayfield over the past couple of games. The QB change seems like a setback for him.
- Weather could be a factor tonight. Steady winds of approximately 20 mph are expected with the possibility of some occasional rain. That would (in theory) negatively impact a high-aDot player like Peoples-Jones.
- Jarvis Landry is making his return from IR. He should be Keenum’s main target tonight, while the TE group should also see an increase in target share after a season-low five targets as a group last week. I also expect RB/WR Demetric Felton to have an expanded role tonight and he has been heavily targeted (37.5% of routes run) when on the field this season.
I’m projecting DPJ for 2.3 receptions tonight with a median projection of 31.5 receiving yards (market is currently at 38.5) — I’d give this under about a 60% chance of hitting. He’s the type of player who could clear his yardage prop on a couple of deep catches, so the safer play here is to take the under for his receptions, especially since we are getting + money. I would bet this down to -105.
Pick: Donovan Peoples-Jones Under 2.5 Receptions (+115) at BetMGM
Canadiens fans welcome Kotkaniemi back to Montreal with boos, vulgar chant – Yahoo Canada Sports
The Carolina Hurricanes were in Montreal on Thursday night to face the Canadiens at the Bell Centre, marking the return of Jesperi Kotkaniemi, who was at the centre of petty off-season drama after signing an offer sheet with the Canes.
In true hockey fashion, the Bell Centre crowd greeted the 21-year-old with boos and taunting chants.
The Canadiens acknowledged the former third-overall pick by displaying him on the jumbotron, which in turn sparked another wave of disapproval from the near-sellout crowd.
It was Kotkaniemi who got the last laugh, though, tipping in a goal in the third period for his first point with the Hurricanes — much to the delight of Hockey Twitter. Carolina ended up walking away with the 4-1 victory, keeping Montreal winless on the season.
The native of Pori, Finland appeared in 171 games for the Habs over three seasons, scoring 22 goals and notching 40 assists. He also registered 12 points in 29 playoff games, including five goals in Montreal’s run to the Stanley Cup Final last season.
Carolina tendered an offer sheet to Kotkaniemi in late August, offering a one-year contract at $6.1 million. Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin chose not to match, and Montreal received a first- and third-round pick as compensation.
More from Yahoo Sports
Let's Art Teen returns to Cultural Centre – Energeticcity.ca
Guilt, grief and anxiety as young people fear for climate’s future
Dollar set for another week of losses even as Fed tapering looms
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Real eState21 hours ago
Calgary housing market sees best Q3 since 2014, says real estate board – CBC.ca
Tech20 hours ago
Where is Google’s foldable phone? Everything we know so far – The Verge
Health18 hours ago
Canada government, provinces agree COVID-19 vaccine travel passport – officials
Tech18 hours ago
MacBook Pro's M1 Max GPU is Over 3x Faster Than M1 in First Metal Benchmark – MacRumors
Business17 hours ago
U.S. FAA seeks new minimum rest periods for flight attendants between shifts
Media18 hours ago
Ex-US President Donald Trump announces social media site – Al Jazeera English
News18 hours ago
U.S. safety board says driver, passenger seats occupied during fatal Tesla crash
Tech15 hours ago
U.S. lawmakers urge speedy action on U.S semiconductor chips funding