Internet costs covered for 1,500 Waterloo Region students to support e-learning
Smart Waterloo Region (SWR), in partnership with four local charitable foundations, has successfully secured enough money to cover internet costs for the students of 1,500 families in the Region.
With the abrupt closure of schools in the Region as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) and the Waterloo Catholic District School Board (WCDSB) have been working to find ways to support e-learning for their students.
As a part of this effort, 1,500 households in the Region were identified as requiring financial support in order to provide children and youth with access to technology to support their e-learning needs.
Thanks to the contributions of four local partners – The Cowan Foundation, The Fairmount Foundation, Astley Family Foundation, and Lyle S. Hallman Foundation – access to the internet through devices like hot spots and high-speed modems, and monthly service fees, will be covered through the end of summer.
“One of the most positive things to come out of this pandemic is seeing how our community comes together in times of need,” said Regional Chair, Karen Redman. “Keeping our children engaged and learning is crucial – and the Region is pleased that our Smart Waterloo Region network could help ensure every child has the access they need to make that happen.”
The SWR initiative took place during 2018/2019 in response to the Government of Canada’s Smart Cities challenge. The Region’s pitch, which came just shy of winning, centered on child and youth well-being, and brought together partners from across the Region, including the tech sector, non-profits, and government officials. The SWR initiative is set to relaunch in the coming months.
One of the key projects developed out of the SWR initiative was the need for enhanced internet access to support child and youth development in the Region, specifically for families living in lower socio-economic conditions. The sudden closure of schools provincially created an urgent need to deploy this service immediately.
The internet assistance is currently in the process of being deployed to families in
need through WRDSB and WCDSB. The technology will help children and youth access e-learning and mental health resources, as well as other virtual programming.
Doctor linked to Campbellton COVID-19 cluster says he made 'an error in judgment' – CBC.ca
The doctor at the centre of a COVID-19 outbreak in the Campbellton, N.B., area says he’s not sure whether he picked up the coronavirus during a trip to Quebec or from a patient in his office.
Dr. Jean Robert Ngola made the comments to Radio-Canada’s program La Matinale on Tuesday morning — his first media interview since the emergence of 13 new cases in the northern New Brunswick health region starting May 21. Before then, it had been two weeks since the province had an active case.
Ngola has been suspended by the Vitalité Health Network, one of the province’s two regional health authorities, and the province has asked the RCMP to investigate to determine whether charges are warranted.
He said he decided to speak out because he’s become the target of racist verbal attacks daily and false reports to police, and he feels abandoned by public health officials.
Ngola, who is also known as Dr. Ngola Monzinga, has been working as a doctor in Campbellton since 2013. He previously practised in Europe and in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He said he did not self-isolate after returning from an overnight return trip to Quebec to pick up his four-year-old daughter. Her mother had to travel to Africa for her father’s funeral.
“What was I supposed to do?” he said in French. “Leave her there alone?”
Ngola said he drove straight there and back with no stops and had no contact with anyone. He said none of his family members had any COVID-19 symptoms at the time.
He returned to work at the Campbellton Regional Hospital the next day.
“Maybe it was an error in judgment,” said Ngola, pointing out that workers, including nurses who live in Quebec, cross the border each day with no 14-day isolation period required.
“Who hasn’t made an error in judgment?” he said. “That’s why I have compassion towards everyone.”
What he told border officials unclear
On May 27, Premier Blaine Higgs announced a COVID-positive “medical professional” in their 50s had travelled to Quebec for personal reasons, was “not forthcoming” about the reasons for their trip upon returning to New Brunswick and “did not self-isolate as a result.”
The medical professional then returned to work at the Campbellton Regional Hospital for two weeks, Higgs had told reporters, describing it as “irresponsible.”
“If you ignore the rules, you put your family, your friends and your fellow New Brunswickers at risk,” Higgs said at the time.
Twelve of the province’s 13 cases have been linked to the travel-related case to date, according to Public Health officials.
The policy for any health-care workers who travel outside the province for any reason is to self-isolate for 14 days, New Brunswick’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell has said. “It is mandatory.”
Ngola did not say during the morning interview what he told officials at the New Brunswick border about his reason for travel, or what they told him about requirements to self-isolate upon entering the province.
Nor did he indicate what, if any, followup he had from border officials.
When reached by phone later to clarify, Ngola said he was on the other line with his lawyer and hung up. Repeated calls since then have gone straight to voicemail.
‘How many people are unwitting carriers?’
Ngola said he received a call from a public health official on May 25 informing him one of his patients had tested positive.
He has about 2,000 patients at his clinic, about 1,500 of them active.
Ngola had seen the man May 19 for a prescription renewal or something that did not require any touching or a physical exam. He said the man had no COVID-19 symptoms and was wearing a mask.
Ngola said he immediately called the patient, who had cold-like symptoms and was doing OK.
He said he cancelled his shift that night at the hospital and got a test for himself and his daughter. Neither of them were showing symptoms, but they both tested positive.
Ngola said he still doesn’t know how they were infected.
“Who can say? … The virus is circulating everywhere. … How many people are unwitting carriers?”
Hate messages pour in, doctor says
He said one hour after he spoke with hospital and public health officials about his contacts to facilitate the investigation and protect the public, his name, face and address were being advertised all over the internet as “the bad doctor who brought the virus to kill people.”
Ngola said that’s not who he is.
“I only have compassion towards sick patients … the role of doctors is to care, to heal, to help … not to spread viruses.”
There are 13 active in cases in the province — all in the Campbellton health region, known as Zone 5, including a new confirmed case announced on Tuesday.
The person in their 80s is a resident at the Manoir de la Vallée, the long-term care facility in Atholville where four other residents in the Alzheimer’s unit and a staff member have also tested positive.
The staff member, a female personal attendant, had social contact with Ngola on May 20, according to the facility’s owner, Dr. Guy Tremblay.
Five people are now in hospital, one of whom is in intensive care.
Accusatory calls from U.S., Africa, Europe
Ngola said he’s been looking into the people making hateful posts, and most are from outside the region. He said he feels they are trying to incite violence against him because he is black.
He said he’s been getting accusatory calls from people in the United States, Africa and Europe, and people are also making false reports about him to local police.
Ngola said he is not pleased with the way he’s being treated by public officials.
“I’m a patient. I have a right to confidentiality, to protection from the system.”
Health authority CEO appeals for calm
Gilles Lanteigne, the chief executive officer of the Vitalité Health Network, said he was aware of Ngola’s public statements, but could not comment on human resources matters, citing privacy.
“We understand that the situation is difficult for all parties involved and we sympathize with the people who are affected by this affair, either directly or indirectly,” he said in an emailed statement.
“I would like to appeal to everyone to remain calm in these difficult times. It is more important than ever to show respect, tolerance and compassion for one another. This is how we will get through this crisis and come out of it stronger.”
Public Health officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Ngola said he remains devoted to serving the community.
“I have a family. I have a right to live. Please, I’m not a criminal.”
Family says 'back and forth' between N.S. and Ottawa over shooting probe 'unreal' – Medicine Hat News
By Michael Tutton, The Canadian Press on June 1, 2020.
HALIFAX – A Nova Scotia family is making a passionate appeal for the federal and Nova Scotia governments to end the “back and forth” over who leads a public inquiry into the province’s mass shooting.
Darcy Dobson, the daughter of a licensed practical nurse who was among the 22 victims, says in the open letter that she, her father Andrew and her five siblings “formally request the start of a public inquiry into the mass shooting on April 18 and 19.”
Dobson’s mother, Heather O’Brien of Truro, N.S., was killed by the gunman on April 19 as she drove along a highway in Debert, N.S.
The letter notes that with few answers provided more than 40 days after the tragedy, families aren’t able to heal properly, and she adds “the amount of information being kept from us is deplorable.”
Premier Stephen McNeil has said he wants Ottawa to lead a public inquiry because the areas of key jurisdiction – such as the protocols followed by the RCMP – are federal.
However, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hasn’t committed his government to overseeing an inquiry, saying only it will “work with the government of Nova Scotia” to get answers.
The letter from Dobson is signed by the entire O’Brien family and says, “the back and forth about who’s responsible for an inquiry is unreal.”
It says mistakes were made at both the provincial and federal levels: “We need answers, we need answers to heal, we need answers so we can find a way to live in this new normal that we’ve been forced into.”
The letter adds that authorities should be trying to learn from one of the worst mass killings in Canadian history.
“What’s the hold up in the inquiry? Why hasn’t this happened yet? Where are we in the investigation? Was someone else involved? Why can’t we get any answers at all 40 days in?!” it asks.
“The fact that anyone of us has to ask these questions is all very concerning and only makes everyone feel, inadequate, unimportant and unsafe.
“Please for the people of our province, for the people of our country, for the people who have lost someone so dear to their hearts, find a way to let us start to heal.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 1, 2020.
Share this story:
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
1 new case of COVID-19 in N.B., with all 13 active cases located in the Campbellton region – Globalnews.ca
New Brunswick announced one new case of COVID-19 on Tuesday, a person aged 80 to 89 “linked to” the Manior de la Vallee long-term care facility in Atholville, N.B.
There are 133 total cases in the province.
There are 13 active cases. All of them in the Campbellton area, known as Zone 5.
Five patients are in hospital with one in intensive care. Six cases are from Manior de la Vallee, including at least one worker.
All active cases are linked to a Campbellton doctor who contracted the virus in Quebec and did not self-isolate upon his return to New Brunswick.
Health officials processed more than 2,000 tests for the second day in a row.
Moncton real estate lowest in 15 years due to COVID-19 pandemic
Several locations in Campbellton hosted extra testing sites on the weekend as officials tried to curb the spread of the virus in the current outbreak, which began May 21.
The total number of tests conducted in the province now sits at 30,666.
“We are pleased to see how all our partners have come together to help us manage the situation,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, in a government news release.
“We have 14 days ahead of us to see how things unfold. In the meantime, I ask New Brunswickers to continue to demonstrate their compassion, kindness and patience throughout the province.”
Of the 133 total number of confirmed cases:
- 69 are travel-related
- 53 are close contacts of confirmed cases
- 10 are the result of community transmission
- 1 remains under investigation
- 18 people have been hospitalized; 13 have since been discharged
- 120 are considered recovered
Zone 5 remains in the Orange phase of New Brunswick’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
The rest of the province is in the third, Yellow phase.
A number of businesses were scheduled to open the week in an advanced stage of the Yellow phase, but those plans were delayed until at least June 5 because of the outbreak in Campbellton.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Jets’ Blake Wheeler on racism: ‘You can’t be silent anymore’ – Sportsnet.ca
Popular YouTuber's 'Eleanor' Mustang allegedly seized by copyright holders – Driving
Doctor linked to Campbellton COVID-19 cluster says he made 'an error in judgment' – CBC.ca
- Tech22 hours ago
June 2020 Android security update rolling out for Google Pixel and some Samsung Galaxy phones – XDA Developers
- Tech18 hours ago
Apple Confirms Serious New Problems For iPad, iPhone Users
- Sports20 hours ago
Judge dismisses Dykstra’s suit against ex-teammate Ron Darling
- Media23 hours ago
U.S. police shoot, tear-gas and arrest press members covering protests
- Tech16 hours ago
iOS 13.5.1 and iPadOS 13.5.1 release with ‘important security updates
- Science19 hours ago
SpaceX captures the flag, beating Boeing in cosmic contest
- Media20 hours ago
Citizens use police tracking apps and social media to expose US attacks on peaceful protesters
- Tech9 hours ago
Google is sending Android 11 updates to some Pixel 4 owners early – Engadget