A video call between Olympic officials and Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, whose nearly three-week disappearance from public view sparked an outcry, was meant to reassure the world she was safe but instead has raised more questions.
Concern grew in the last week for the former No. 1-ranked doubles player, who hadn’t been seen since accusing a senior Chinese official of sexual assault on Nov. 2. Tennis stars and fans alike demanded to know .WhereIsPengShuai, and the head of the Women’s Tennis Association threatened to pull lucrative events from China.
On Sunday, the International Olympic Committee said Peng spoke to officials, including IOC president Thomas Bach, in a 30-minute video call from Beijing. According to the organization’s statement, she reassured them she was well and thanked them for their concern, while asking for privacy.
“She appeared to be relaxed,” athletes commission chair Emma Terho said. “I offered her our support and to stay in touch at any time of her convenience, which she obviously appreciated.”
The IOC posted a photo that shows Bach facing a screen on which Peng appears but did not release video of the call. On the same day, China Open posted videos and photos of her appearance at a youth tennis tournament in Beijing that morning.
The IOC’s short statement, which offered few details and no follow-up on her allegations, seems unlikely to close the door on Peng’s case — and it’s leading to increasing criticism of the sports body, which was already facing calls for a boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics, which open on Feb. 4.
Even after the statement was published Sunday, the WTA repeated what chairman and CEO Steve Simon has been saying for more than a week, calling for a full, fair and transparent investigation “without censorship.”
WATCH | CEO of WTA questions validity of statement attributed to Peng:
Human rights violations?
The IOC was already under pressure because of allegations China has committed human rights violations against Uyghur Muslims, Tibetans, and other minorities. China denies the accusations. “We are firmly opposed to any words and deeds that politicize sports in violation of the Olympic spirit,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Monday, when asked about a possible boycott.
The Olympic body has responded to criticism by saying its policy is “quiet diplomacy” and it may argue that its access to Peng shows that works.
Some critics say the IOC’s handling of the call with Peng makes it an active partner in delivering Beijing’s message while not providing Peng with an open forum to discuss her allegations.
Yaqiu Wang, a spokeswoman for Human Rights Watch, tweeted that the IOC is now “actively playing a role in the Chinese government’s enforced disappearance, coercion and propaganda machinery.”
When asked about the criticism, the IOC said in a statement Monday the main purpose of the call was to find out how Peng was, and she “was very clear in confirming that she is safe and well.”
She agreed to stay in touch with Olympic officials, including having dinner with Bach in Beijing in January, and the body said it told her she could reach out whenever “she deems it appropriate.” It added that in order to respect Peng’s privacy, it would not comment further.
This is the second time this year that the IOC has been in the spotlight for pushing ahead with an Olympics: Many wanted the body to call off the Summer Games in Tokyo because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic. Critics note that IOC has a strong interest in holding the events because it generates 91 per cent of its income from sponsors and selling broadcast rights at the Games.
Peng is just one of a number of Chinese businesspeople, activists and ordinary people who have disappeared in recent years after criticizing party figures or in crackdowns on corruption or pro-democracy and labour rights campaigns.
WATCH | UN, White House call on China for proof of Peng’s whereabouts:
While the ruling Communist Party is quick to blot out any criticism, that this time it came from an athlete made it especially sensitive. State media celebrate athletes’ victories as proof the party is making China strong, and the party is vigilant about making sure they cannot use their prominence and public appeal to erode its image.
The tennis star accused a former member of the Communist Party’s ruling Standing Committee, Zhang Gaoli, of sexual assault in a social media post that was removed quickly.
Concerns about censoring of social media post
Peng went missing from public view and did not respond publicly to calls for information to show she was safe.
She wrote in part: “I know that to you, vice minister Zhang Gaoli, a person of high status and power, you’ve said you’re not afraid. With your intelligence, you certainly will deny it or you can even use it against me, you can dismiss it without a care. Even if I’m destroying myself, like throwing an egg against a rock, or a moth flying into a flame, I will still speak out the truth about us.”
Concerns about the censoring of her post and her subsequent disappearance from public view grew into a furor, drawing comments from tennis greats like Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams, and Martina Navratilova.
All the while, news of her allegations was blacked out at home. CNN reported that its signal in China had been blocked during reporting on Peng.
A search for her name Monday on Weibo, one of China’s leading social media platforms, produced only a few posts, and none that refer to the sexual assault allegation or the questions about her whereabouts.
Still missing is Zhang. He left public life about three years ago after being one of seven members of the Politburo Standing Committee — the apex of political power in China.
The WTA is the first sports body to defiantly stand up to China’s financial clout in what many see as a sharp contrast to the IOC, which says it is powerless to intervene in China’s internal policies.
“The statements make the IOC complicit in the Chinese authority’s malicious propaganda and lack of care for basic human rights and justice,” Global Athlete, a lobby group for athletes, said in a statement.
“The IOC showed a complete disregard for allegations of sexual violence and abuse against athletes,” the statement said. “By taking a nonchalant approach to Peng Shuai’s disappearance and by refusing to mention her serious allegations of sexual assault, IOC president Thomas Bach and the IOC Athletes’ Commission demonstrate an abhorrent indifference to sexual violence and the well-being of female athletes.”
One of Italy or Portugal will miss World Cup after qualifying draw – Sportsnet.ca
ZURICH — European champion Italy and Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal were drawn in the same World Cup qualifying playoffs bracket Friday, meaning at least one of them will miss next year’s tournament in Qatar.
Italy will face North Macedonia at home in a playoff semifinal next March, and the winner will play away at either Portugal or Turkey for a spot in the World Cup.
— FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) November 26, 2021
Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup — losing in the playoffs to Sweden — and now will likely have to beat Ronaldo and Portugal to avoid missing the tournament for a second straight time. Portugal has always qualified during Ronaldo’s career. He first played at the 2006 World Cup.
Also in the 12-team draw, Scotland will face Ukraine at home, and the winner will play at Wales or Austria in the final of their bracket.
Russia will host Poland for the right to face Sweden or the Czech Republic in their bracket final. Russia or Poland will host the final.
The six playoff semifinals will be played as single-leg elimination games March 24. The three finals are played five days later.
The three winners will complete Europe’s entry of 13 nations in the 32-team lineup in Qatar.
FIFA will make the tournament draw on April 1 in Doha.
The playoffs feature the 10 teams who finished second in their qualifying groups along with two teams — Austria and the Czechs — who won Nations League groups last year.
Canada's World Cup chances get a boost after intercontinental playoff draw – Sportsnet.ca
CONCACAF got a break Friday, with a draw determining that the fourth-place qualifier from North and Central America and the Caribbean will face a side from Oceania in a Qatar 2022 intercontinental playoff.
Thus, if Canada slips to fourth in the CONCACAF table, its World Cup chances appear to have received a boost with the latest FIFA intercontinental playoff draw.
The draw at FIFA headquarters in Zurich paired teams from AFC (Asia) and CONMEBOL (South America) in the other playoff.
— FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) November 26, 2021
The intercontinental playoffs will determine the last two sides in the 32-country field for next year’s World Cup. The single-game playoffs will take place in Qatar on June 13 and 14, 2022. Previously they were home-and-away series.
CONCACAF will likely heave a sign of relief at avoiding the fifth-place South American finisher. CONMEBOL teams have won seven of 10 playoffs, including six of the last seven. And Asia got the best of CONCACAF last time out.
Only two points currently separate fourth-place Colombia (No. 16) and eighth-place Bolivia (No. 77) in South American qualifying with Peru (No. 22), Chile (No. 24) and Uruguay (No. 17) in between.
New Zealand, at No. 110, is the top-ranked team in Oceania, ahead of the Solomon Islands at No. 141. The All Whites have represented Oceania in the last three playoffs, winning once.
The Canadian men, who had six games remaining, will look to avoid the playoffs by finishing in the top three come March.
So far so good. No. 40 Canada (4-0-4, 14 points) currently tops the eight-team CONCACAF final qualifying round, ahead of the 12th-ranked U.S. (4-1-3, 15 points) and No. 14 Mexico and No. 63 Panama (both 4-2-2, 14 points).
The playoffs were originally scheduled for March 2022 but were rescheduled due to the pandemic.
CONCACAF teams have won three of six playoffs, with Mexico advancing in 1962 and 2014 and Trinidad and Tobago in 2006.
Australia beat Honduras 3-1 on aggregate while Peru downed New Zealand 2-0 in two-game playoffs in November 2017 to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
In the intercontinental playoffs ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Mexico thumped New Zealand 9-3 on aggregate and Uruguay blanked Jordan 5-0.
New Zealand was successful in making the 2010 World Cup in South Africa edging Bahrain 1-0. Uruguay defeated Costa Rica 2-1 in the other playoff.
In the European playoffs also drawn Friday, it will be Scotland versus Ukraine, Wales versus Austria, Russia versus Poland, Sweden versus Czech Republic, Italy versus North Macedonia and Portugal versus Turkey.
The 12 teams are competing for three World Cup berths.
Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, Denmark, England, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland and host Qatar have already qualified.
Fantasy: Start, Sit, Stash, Quit – Week 12 – thescore.com
SSSQ is a weekly look at under-the-radar fantasy players to consider starting and potential busts you should leave on your bench. We also identify breakout candidates to stash on your roster and players you can safely cut.
Cam Newton, Panthers
In his first start since returning to the Panthers, Newton made his presence felt by throwing for 189 yards and two touchdowns while adding another 46 yards and a score on the ground.
It made Newton the QB4 overall on the week and gave fantasy managers hope that he can be a potential starting option the rest of the season.
Next up is a Dolphins defense allowing the fifth-most fantasy points to quarterbacks.
Boone’s projection: 228 passing yards, passing TD, 37 rushing yards, rushing TD
Other QBs to start
- Russell Wilson at Washington
- Carson Wentz vs. Buccaneers
- Taylor Heinicke vs. Seahawks
Miles Sanders, Eagles
Sanders quietly tallied 94 rushing yards on 16 carries last week in his first game back off injured reserve. The reason his fantasy stat line didn’t jump off the page was because he failed to reach the end zone and fumbled once.
However, with teammate Jordan Howard dealing with a knee injury that will sideline him for Week 12 and perhaps longer, Sanders is in a position to see plenty of volume in the Eagles’ revived rushing attack.
Philadelphia’s schedule is excellent the rest of the way, starting with a matchup against the Giants who are the seventh-easiest opponent for fantasy running backs.
Boone’s projection: 77 rushing yards, TD, 16 receiving yards
Other RBs to start
- James Robinson vs. Falcons
- Antonio Gibson vs. Seahawks
- Javonte Williams/Melvin Gordon vs. Chargers
Elijah Moore, Jets
Rookies often get off to a slow start in their debut campaign before taking on a larger role in the second half of the season.
Moore has been on that track, and the days of him being underutilized appear to be over.
Over the last few weeks, he’s emerged as a dangerous weapon in the Jets’ offense, with stat lines of 6-67-0, 7-84-2, 3-44-1, and most recently 8-141-1. He’s also done it with a revolving door at quarterback.
Zach Wilson is slated to return under center this week and there’s nothing to fear about the Texans’ pass defense. With teammate Corey Davis nursing a groin injury, this should be another chance for Moore to showcase his skills.
Boone’s projection: 89 receiving yards, TD
Other WRs to start
- Brandin Cooks vs. Jets
- Brandon Aiyuk vs. Vikings
- Marvin Jones vs. Falcons
Pat Freiermuth, Steelers
Freiermuth has averaged the fifth-most fantasy points among tight ends since Week 6.
His breakout coincided with Eric Ebron missing time a few weeks back. In the two games Ebron was sidelined, Freiermuth finished as the TE3 overall (Week 8) and TE1 overall (Week 9).
When the veteran returned to the lineup, Freiermuth’s playing time and production took a hit.
Now, with Ebron expected to miss time with a knee injury, the rookie will be unleashed as a true top-10 fantasy option.
Boone’s projection: 63 receiving yards, TD
Other TEs to start
- Rob Gronkowski at Colts
- Dallas Goedert at Giants
- Dan Arnold vs. Falcons
Ryan Tannehill, Titans
Don’t start fantasy quarterbacks against the Patriots. Just don’t do it.
Here’s a list of recent QBs and where they’ve finished after taking on Bill Belichick’s defense.
To make matters worse, A.J. Brown‘s status is in doubt after he left last week’s game with a chest injury and didn’t practice Wednesday or Thursday.
You should be avoiding Tannehill at all costs this week.
Boone’s projection: 194 passing yards, TD, INT, 21 rushing yards
Other QBs to sit
- Tua Tagovailoa vs. Panthers
- Ben Roethlisberger at Bengals
- Baker Mayfield at Ravens
Myles Gaskin, Dolphins
Gaskin has been an extremely boom or bust fantasy back with most of the booms coming against easier opponents and most of the busts happening versus tough run defenses.
Some recent bust examples include the Ravens in Week 10 (RB42) and Bills in Week 8 (RB34).
The Panthers are permitting the third-fewest fantasy points to running backs, which should make you question using Gaskin this week.
There’s also the addition of Phillip Lindsay to consider, though that’s more of an issue for Gaskin’s value the rest of the season.
Boone’s projection: 37 rushing yards, 14 receiving yards
Other RBs to sit
- Devonta Freeman/Latavius Murray vs. Browns
- Alex Collins at Washington
- D’Onta Foreman at Patriots
Courtland Sutton, Broncos
A player of his caliber is destined to bounce back eventually, but this isn’t the game to bet on Sutton escaping his slump.
The Chargers rank ninth in Football Outsiders‘ pass defense DVOA and are giving up the second-fewest fantasy points to receivers.
Boone’s projection: 48 receiving yards
Other WRs to sit
- Kenny Golladay vs. Eagles
- Jarvis Landry at Ravens
- Tyler Boyd vs. Steelers
Hunter Henry, Patriots
Henry has only topped 42 yards once this season, but his touchdown scoring has kept him fantasy relevant.
With seven trips to the end zone over the last eight games, Henry is the definition of a touchdown-dependent play.
Unfortunately for him, the Titans – who are a bottom-five matchup for fantasy tight ends – have only allowed three touchdowns to the position this season.
Boone’s projection: 37 receiving yards
Other TEs to sit
- Tyler Higbee at Packers
- Tyler Conklin at 49ers
- Jared Cook at Broncos
DeeJay Dallas, Seahawks
Alex Collins has taken the lead in Seattle’s backfield, but the coaching staff seems reluctant to use him as a pass-catcher – capping his upside.
Meanwhile, Dallas (3% rostered) saw his largest snap share of the season in Week 11 and began to carve out a role. He even scored a rushing touchdown in the game.
Though waiver wires tend to be picked apart at this point in the season, Dallas has a shot to earn significant touches on a depth chart desperate for someone to create a spark.
Curtis Samuel, Washington
It’s been a long and disappointing season for Samuel (12% rostered) in Washington. Injuries have kept the versatile receiver out of all but two contests, and he was limited to just 30 combined snaps in those appearances.
However, Samuel is finally back at practice and may actually suit up for a Monday night matchup with the Seahawks.
While there’s still a long way to go before we can trust him in our fantasy lineups, now is the time to scoop Samuel up and get him on your bench.
Mike Davis, Falcons
Davis was outplayed by Cordarrelle Patterson early in the season, but at least he was getting volume over the first five weeks.
Since the Falcons’ Week 6 bye, the 28-year-old has fallen off the fantasy map. Davis has just one game with more than 21 yards from scrimmage in the past five outings and hasn’t found the end zone during that span.
With Patterson sidelined in Week 11, Davis managed just three carries for one yard while gaining 20 yards on three receptions.
Unlike other backup runners around the league, Davis doesn’t come with upside … regardless of how many injuries strike Atlanta’s running back room.
The roster spot he’s occupying is being wasted. Drop him and find someone who at least has a path to more production.
Ocean Economy: The Next Wave of Sustainable Innovation – Visual Capitalist
Stores kick off Black Friday but pandemic woes linger – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
S&P/TSX composite down nearly 500 points as COVID variant worries rattle market – Yahoo Canada Finance
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Health23 hours ago
One new COVID-19 death in Ottawa on Thursday – CTV News Ottawa
News23 hours ago
Small but mighty: Vaccinating Canadian kids could see rates jump nearly 7% – Globalnews.ca
News2 hours ago
Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim dead at 91
Economy24 hours ago
Yen rallies, rand sinks as new COVID variant spurs flight to safety
News9 hours ago
Coronavirus: Femicide rate on rise, Canadian researcher says – CTV News
News2 hours ago
Tunisian police say they shot, wounded extremist trying to attack them
News23 hours ago
Canada’s emissions-cutting efforts falling short -environment watchdog
Economy23 hours ago
UK sets out plans to boost global digital trade