Connect with us

Tech

Judge 'inclined' to block Apple's move to hamper Epic's Unreal Engine – CANOE

Published

 on


A federal judge on Monday said she was “inclined” to grant Epic Games’ request to block Apple Inc’s move to terminate the “Fortnite” creator’s developer accounts.

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said during a hearing that she viewed Epic’s request through “two lenses.” One was with the harm that would come to Epic’s games, and the other was what harm would come to the hundreds of other games that would be hurt if Epic was unable to maintain its Unreal Engine software.

“I can tell you right now that I am inclined not to grant relief with respect to the games, but I am inclined to grant relief with respect to the Unreal Engine,” she said.

Unreal Engine is a software tool for computer graphics that hundreds of other games and other apps use to power their offerings. Epic Games on Friday had asked the court to issue an order blocking Apple’s removal of “Fortnite” from Apple’s App Store, saying that the removal – along with Apple’s threat to terminate the company’s developer account – would cause irreparable harm to Epic.

Apple removed the popular game earlier this month after Epic rolled out its own method of making purchases within the game, which Apple said violated its App Store rules. Those rules require games and other apps to use Apple’s in-app payment system, which charges commissions of between 15% and 30%.

Epic sued Apple over the removal, claiming the App Store rules violate antitrust laws. Epic also launched a public relations campaign, with a #FreeFortnite social media push and a parody of Apple’s famous “1984” ad.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Google announces the Pixel 4a 5G with Snapdragon 765G and more – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


Although we already knew it was coming, Google officially announced its Pixel 4a 5G smartphone at today’s ‘Launch Night In’ event.

Back in August, Google offered a sneak peek at the 4a 5G and Pixel 5 alongside its Pixel 4a announcement. While it has barely been two months since then, it feels like a long time has passed. Many of the details of the Pixel 4a 5G leaked ahead of time and, unsurprisingly, most were accurate.

First up, the Pixel 4a 5G sports a Snapdragon 765G, making it more powerful than the regular Pixel 4a, which runs on the 730G platform. The 4a 5G also boasts 6GB of RAM and a larger 6.24-inch OLED display with the same 2340 x 1080 pixel resolution. The display also runs at 60Hz and sports Gorilla Glass 3.

The phone’s design isn’t significantly different from the 4a either. It sports the same polycarbonate back panel with a textured feel, a similar square camera bump, a colourful power button and volume buttons on the right-hand side. Also, like the 4a, the 4a 5G features a USB-C charging port and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Google’s Pixel 4a 5G includes 128GB of internal storage.

As for the camera, the Pixel 4a 5G sports a 12.2-megapixel primary shooter along with a 16-megapixel wide-angle camera. It supports 4K video recording at 60fps, and is the same as the camera system offered on the Pixel 5.

The phone runs on a 3,800mAh battery with 18W fast charging and comes in black.

The Pixel 4a 5G will cost $679 in Canada and you can join a waiting list on the Google Store website to get more information about when the phone will be available.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s Zombies mode revealed by Treyarch – Polygon

Published

 on


Developer Treyarch will usher in a new chapter of the franchise’s Zombies mode with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, while retaining the four-player co-op play that makes the enduring mode so popular. This time around, Zombies fans will wield Cold War-era weapons to fend off a zombie invasion set during the 1980s — but the undead threat is still rooted in World War II.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies will feature a story mode set in Die Maschine, a graffiti-laden, boarded-up bunker with nods to Nacht der Untoten, the original Zombies map featured in Call of Duty: World at War. Players will explore Die Maschine as a member of the CIA-backed group known as Requiem, which has also piqued the interest of the rival Soviet-led group known as Omega Group. Intrigue, and swarms of angry zombies, will presumably follow.

The new Zombies mode will feature many of the gameplay elements players are familiar with: Perks, Pack-a-Punch machines, and mystery boxes. This time, however, there will no longer be a limit to how many different Perks you players can consume, “so go ahead and crack open a six-pack,” Treyarch says, “if you have the points to do so.”

Two glowing green zombies from Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Image: Treyarch/Activision

Black Ops Cold War’s take on Zombies will also feature:

  • Field Upgrades — which sound similar to the Modern Warfare abilities of the same name — that will offer “offensive buffs to abilities that aid in evasion or healing and reviving;”
  • Equipment that can be found or crafted, like grenade launchers, sentry turrets, explosive bows, and helicopter gunners;
  • and a chance to escape hairy situations via Exfil, which will let you call in a helicopter rescue but also dials zombie spawns “up to 11,” Treyarch says, and can earn squads rewards if you manage to survive.

Treyarch says that play time in Zombies mode will also contribute to Black Ops Cold War’s Battle Pass and that players can bring their Gunsmith-crafted weapons of choice into the mode. Better still, Zombies will have cross-generation, cross-platform play, meaning a squad will be easy to put together.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will be released Nov. 13 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

COVID Alert has been downloaded 2.94 million times – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


The Public Health Agency of Canada has revealed that COVID Alert has been downloaded 2.94 million times since July 31st.

The agency told CTV News that only 514 users have notified the app about their positive test results, all of whom reside in Ontario.

These statistics come as politicians, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, are urging Canadians to download the app if it’s available in their province, as we enter the second wave of the virus.

The federal government launched COVID Alert in Ontario over the summer, and since then it has rolled out in Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick.

The government of Manitoba is getting ready to support COVID Alert this week, and Quebec has revealed that it will use the app too after previously saying that it wouldn’t due to lack of support in the province for it.

COVID Alert uses Apple and Google’s notification API, which uses Bluetooth technology to share randomized codes with other nearby smartphones. These codes can’t identify users.

It’s worth noting that COVID Alert is not a contact tracing app. It’s an ‘exposure notification’ tool that can inform Canadians if they potentially became exposed to COVID-19.

COVID Alert can be downloaded from the iOS App Store and the Google Play Store.

Via: CTV News 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending