Ontario’s local public health units report 75 people have died from COVID-19.
The data gathered by CP24 and CTV News Toronto on Thursday morning includes the total number of deaths reported by all of the province’s 34 local public health units.
The number is higher than that issued by Ontario’s Ministry of Health, which on Thursday morning added 16 deaths to its official tally, putting the total number at 53.
The information from Ontario’s 34 public health units – the main entities collecting data, isolating patients and monitoring the spread of the virus – indicated additional people died in Toronto, Haldimand-Norfolk, Durham Region and York Region since the data was collected on the day prior.
As well, two additional deaths linked to an outbreak at a long-term care home in Bobcaygeon, Ont. were confirmed by the facility to CTV News on Thursday morning. The total number of deaths at the facility is now 16 and the wife of a resident has also died.
On Wednesday afternoon, Ontario’s Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Barbara Yaffe explained the discrepancy in deaths as a delay in communication between the health units and the province, related to data entered into the integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS).
“We are using the data that the health units put into the database, iPHIS, as of yesterday at 4 p.m.,” Yaffe said. “That’s the data that goes onto the website this morning at 10:30 a.m.”
She added that more resources would be put in place to help the health units enter data into the system.
“I realize they are very busy and there are a lot of things happening and putting data into a database doesn’t feel that important, but it is important so we can be as up to date as possible and as transparent as possible – that’s what we all want.”
Speaking at Thursday’s 3 p.m. news conference, Yaffe addressed the discrepancy again, saying she knows the province’s numbers are an “underrepresentation.”
“As I indicated yesterday, we do continue to work very hard to ensure that our systems are as up-to-date as possible so that we can provide as current information as possible,” she said.
Here is a breakdown of COVID-19-related deaths in each public health unit as of Thursday morning:
Algoma Public Health – 0
Brant County Health Unit – 0
Chatham-Kent Public Health – 0
Durham Region Health Department – 6
Eastern Ontario Health Unit – 0
Grey Bruce Health Unit – 0
Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit – 4
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit – 15
Halton Region Health Department – 1
City of Hamilton Public Health Services – 1
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health Services – 1
Huron Perth Public Health – 1
Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health – 0
Lambton Public Health – 5
Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit – 2
Middlesex-London Health Unit – 3
Niagara Region Public Health – 4
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit – 0
Northwestern Health Unit – 0
Ottawa Public Health – 3
Peel Public Health – 1
Peterborough Public Health – 0
Porcupine Health Unit – 0
Public Health Sudbury & Districts – 0
Renfrew County & District Health Unit – 1
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit – 4
Southwestern Public Health – 2
Thunder Bay District Health Unit – 0
Timiskaming Health Unit – 0
Toronto Public Health – 11 (Revised down from 19. Health officials say some previous deaths were inappropriately attributed to COVID-19.)
Region of Waterloo Public Health – 2
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health – 0
Windsor-Essex County Health Unit – 1
York Region Public Health – 6
This story has been modified to reflect revised data from Toronto Public Health. On April 1, Toronto officials said that there had been 19 deaths related to COVID-19 in the city so far. On April 2, Toronto’s medical officer of health said there were in fact 11 confirmed COVID-19 deaths to date and that some of the previous deaths had been inappropriately attributed to COVID-19.
N.S. reports no new COVID-19 cases, gathering limit increased to 10 – CBC.ca
With no new case of COVID-19 being reported for the first time since March 15 in Nova Scotia, the province is increasing the number of people allowed to gather from five to 10.
“Today we come before you with good news. No new cases to report. Zero. That’s exciting,” Premier Stephen McNeil said at a press briefing on Friday.
Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health said zero cases is a “significant and encouraging milestone.”
The new gathering limit is effective immediately, but physical distancing — except among members of a household or family bubbles — is still required.
The limit is the same indoors and outdoors, with an exception for outdoor weddings and funeral services, which can have 15 people.
“I hate to be a damper on these joyous events, but at this time we need to make sure that the numbers are limited so the officiant is the only extra person and if you want a photographer or a DJ or something like that, they would be included in your number of 10 indoors and 15 outdoors,” Strang said.
The 10-person limit applies to:
- Social gatherings.
- Arts and culture activities like theatre performances and dance recitals.
- Faith gatherings.
- Sports and physical activities.
Strang said for faith gatherings, safety precautions are required. He said passing around a collection plate is not allowed. Strang said singing is highly discouraged because “people singing can significantly increase the spreading of respiratory droplets, [which] increases the risk of transmitting the virus that causes COVID-19.”
It also applies to businesses that are too small to ensure physical distancing.
Reopening timelines announced for campgrounds
The province also announced timelines for the reopening of more businesses:
- Starting June 5, private campgrounds can open for all types of campers. But they can only operate at 50 per cent capacity and must ensure public health protocols are followed.
- Provincial campgrounds will open to all Nova Scotians June 15, with the reservation line opening June 8. Those campgrounds will operate at a reduced capacity.
- Pools can begin maintenance work to prepare for reopening, likely in time for summer.
- Sleepover camps are not permitted this year.
Two things not changing are the requirement of self-isolating for 14 days when people visit Nova Scotia, and the household bubble is not expanding.
“I know some of this is confusing. People say, ‘I can go to a restaurant and there will be 10, 20, 30 people in that restaurant as long as the tables are kept apart.’ That seems to be OK, but they can’t go hug their grandparents or they can’t go practise with their soccer team,” Strang said.
“It’s important that people understand we recognize those, but this is about taking measured steps so we can reopen the economy, loosen restrictions in a carefully, measured way.”
In a news release Friday, the province said the microbiology lab at the QEII Health Sciences Centre completed 1,034 tests on Thursday.
Why daycares are reopening later
McNeil addressed why daycares aren’t reopening at the same time as many other businesses on June 5.
He said he wanted daycares to reopen at the same time as everything else, but public health made a recommendation against it, so the date was moved from June 8 to 15.
“When public health comes to me and says the plan is not ready and they need another week, why would I go against that? That is about the safety of our children,” McNeil said.
He said “too many provinces” reopened daycares too soon and “look what’s happened in those provinces.”
“Some of you are saying, ‘Why didn’t you change the date of the economy?’ Because people have to get back to work to pay the bills and take care of their families,” he said.
McNeil acknowledged the 10-day difference “will be long for people going back to work right away and [who] need child care.”
Respect employees having child-care issues
McNeil asked businesses to “please respect” employees who have “issues with child care” over that 10-day period.
“We need to take care of each other, we need to be kind to each other, we need to support each other as our province tries to come back from COVID-19,” he said.
McNeil closed the briefing by addressing people who are asking about expanding their household bubble and “get the long-awaited hug.”
“A hug is a beautiful and dangerous thing,” McNeil said. “Close contact means so much to us, but it is the very thing that could set our province back.”
McNeil said people can “hang out” now and grandparents can “watch your grandchildren play.” But to protect everybody, he said hugs, kisses and handshakes are off limits.
“Stay six feet apart a little longer,” he said. “If we continue to flatten the curve, we’ll be able to lift up your spirits by taking down more restrictions.”
There remain 18 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, 14 of which are residents and staff at the Northwood long-term care home in Halifax. There are eight people in hospital, including three people who are in the intensive care unit.
Northwood remains the only long-term care facility in the province with active cases.
In an interview Friday, Northwood CEO Janet Simm said it was the first day “in a number of weeks” the facility had no new cases to report.
“So we’re celebrating that within the facility,” she said.
Fifty-nine people in Nova Scotia have died from the virus, 52 of those at Northwood.
Simm said 179 residents in Northwood had recovered as of Friday.
The state of emergency declared under the Emergency Management Act on March 22 has been extended to June 14.
Updated symptoms list
The list of COVID-19 symptoms recently expanded. People with one or more of the following updated list of symptoms are asked to visit 811’s website:
- Fever (chills, sweats).
- Cough or worsening of a previous cough.
- Sore throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Muscle aches.
- Nasal congestion/runny nose.
- Hoarse voice.
- Unusual fatigue.
- Loss of sense of smell or taste.
- Red, purple or bluish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers that do not have a clear cause.
Testing underway after 8 migrant workers at Elgin County farm test positive for coronavirus – Global News
Officials with the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) and Southwestern Public Health (SWPH) say coronavirus testing is underway at a St. Thomas-area farm after at least eight temporary foreign workers tested positive for the virus this week.
An outbreak was declared on Thursday at Ontario Plants Propagation, a greenhouse operation along John Wise Line, days after the MLHU said it first became aware of a case Monday night involving a worker at the farm, health officials said on Friday.
That initial case led to 16 of the worker’s close contacts being tested on Tuesday, with seven of the tests coming back positive. As those workers live in London, the seven are included in the tally of new cases that was reported on Friday by MLHU.
According to the health unit, another 40 workers living at the same complex as the first case were tested on Wednesday at London’s Carling Heights Assessment Centre.
The remaining workers in the group, meanwhile, were to be tested on Friday at Ontario Plants Propagation. Test results for all were expected over the coming days.
“The operator of this farm has been tremendously co-operative with us, and we believe that this outbreak is now contained,” said Dr. Alex Summers, associate medical officer of health with the MLHU, during Friday’s coronavirus media briefing.
“Of course, we will be monitoring that very closely over the next couple of weeks.”
Coronavirus outbreak: How the pandemic has exposed the vulnerabilities in the food supply chain
Summers said the workers had arrived primarily from Guatemala and Jamaica, and that as far as the health unit was aware, all had quarantined for 14 days upon arriving in Ontario.
The workers are currently in self-isolation, and none have been admitted to hospital.
Health officials are still working to find the source of the outbreak, but Summers said it was believed they had been in Canada long enough that they either contracted it here, or “one of the other workers may have had mild symptoms that weren’t identified and transmitted it subsequently to their colleagues.”
“We believe that we have readily identified all close contacts and any additional cases,” Summers said. “Of course, we continue to watch for further results. But those tests have been done.”
Health officials stressed there was no risk to the public from the products grown on the farm, and that they didn’t believe there had been any close exposure or close contact outside of the migrant farmworker community.
“The living conditions for these migrant farmworkers were certainly a congregate living setting, but not exceptionally crowded, nor of specific concern for us,” Summers said.
“They were people living together and that would have resulted in the transmission.”
COVID-19 cases have also been reported at other southwestern Ontario farms during the pandemic.
Fifty-one workers, local and foreign, at Greenhill Produce in Kent Bridge, Ont., tested positive for the coronavirus last month.
In Windsor-Essex, at least 16 workers from three farms in the region had tested positive for the virus as of early this month, the region’s health unit said.
In March, four workers tested positive at Highline Mushrooms in Kingsville, Ont.
Approximately 20,000 migrant workers come to the Ontario each year to work on farms and in greenhouses.
— With files from Shawn Jeffords of The Canadian Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Six people can be added to existing double bubbles, government announces – NTV News
The provincial government announced Friday that residents can expand their bubbles effective immediately.
Up to six more people can be added to an existing double bubble. The new members do not have to be from the same household, but cannot change once added. The government still advises people to keep their bubbles as small as possible.
More guidance can be found online here: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/individuals-and-households/expansion-of-household-bubble/
Dr. Proton Rahman is scheduled to release new projections Friday on how the COVID-19 pandemic is unfolding.
Dr. Fitzgerald announced no new cases of COVID-19 on Friday.
Is Vancouver city manager's desire to hire social media guru an overblown controversy? – Vancouver Courier
Sabres' Krueger on Eichel: 'I like the anger' – TSN
N.S. reports no new COVID-19 cases, gathering limit increased to 10 – CBC.ca
- Media12 hours ago
Creators of 6ixBuzz possibly doxed via social media – insauga.com
- Sports24 hours ago
Bruins win Presidents' Trophy for 2019-20 season – NHL.com
- Science19 hours ago
Tesla’s Musk earns $770M in stock options, company confirms
- Media15 hours ago
Trump threatens to remove 'shield' protecting social-media giants from liability for online content – The Globe and Mail
- News20 hours ago
Canada, allies condemn China on Hong Kong law after contentious Meng ruling – CBC.ca
- Health19 hours ago
Three New COVID-19 Cases In Campbellton Region
- Media19 hours ago
Donald Trump justify his social media crackdown
- Tech18 hours ago
Toronto-based duo create custom puzzles