Connect with us

Health

'Micrographic' skin cancer surgery coming to Nova Scotia – HalifaxToday.ca

Published

on


HALIFAX — A skin cancer surgery that Nova Scotia’s top public health official recently had to travel to receive is now approved for the province, and a dermatologist is planning a Halifax site for the procedure.

Dr. Michael Stevens says introducing Mohs surgery — where thin layers of cancer-containing skin are progressively removed — will help avoid more serious procedures for some patients.

The “micrographic” procedure removes tumours little by little, with dermatologists examining the tissue as it is removed until testing indicates the absence of cancer. 

Stevens has spent years lobbying the Nova Scotia Health Authority to provide a billing number for the procedure, and says he’s pleased it agreed to move forward earlier this year.

He says it is the standard of care in most other parts of Canada, including in New Brunswick, and his practice is planning on providing the surgery later this fall once equipment and space is prepared. 

A spokeswoman for the Health Department confirmed that Dr. Robert Strang, the province’s chief medical officer of health, recently travelled to New Brunswick for the treatment.

Strang was absent from pandemic briefings during the mandatory 14-day isolation period that followed.

Carla Adams, a spokeswoman for the Nova Scotia Health Authority, said in an email the method offers a high cure rate, can reduce the loss of healthy tissues, and is particularly important in areas where it’s important to remove as little tissue as possible, including the eyelids, nose, ears, fingers and toes.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 22, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

No new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba, extending streak to 8 days – CBC.ca

Published

on


Manitoba has extended its record to eight days without a new case of COVID-19 being reported in the province.

The total number of cases identified in Manitoba is still 325, the province said in its daily coronavirus news bulletin on Wednesday.

There are currently six active cases of COVID-19 in the province. That number is down from 11 on Tuesday — which was also when Manitoba set its previous record for the longest stretch with no new cases of COVID-19, as the province marked a full week without a new case of the illness.

The province twice before reached a six-day stretch without any new cases reported.

There is still no one in hospital with the illness caused by the new coronavirus. The total number of deaths related to COVID-19 in Manitoba is still seven.

In total, 312 people have recovered from the illness in Manitoba.

On Tuesday, 614 tests for COVID-19 were done in the province, bringing the total number of tests done since the start of the pandemic to 67,618.

The province again asked for feedback on possible personal care home visitation shelters in its daily bulletin. 

Those centres are intended to help provide quality visits with people living in care homes, while making sure physical distancing is maintained and visitors and residents have personal protective equipment.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 Bulletin #126 – news.gov.mb.ca

Published

on


Need More Info?

Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.

Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.

Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-945-4916.

Twitter Feed

Quick Links

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta confirms 46 additional cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Alberta Health announced an additional 46 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the province’s total confirmed cases to 8,436.

One additional death was also recorded. A man in his 80s in the South zone has died. Alberta Health said the man did not have any links to continuing care centres.

That brings Alberta’s pandemic death toll to 158 people.

Read more:
Edmonton’s Misericordia Hospital on ‘full facility outbreak’ due to COVID-19

The total number of active COVID-19 cases across the province was at 608 on Wednesday, down from the day before. Of those, 230 are in the Calgary zone and 232 are in the Edmonton zone. The Central zone has six active cases, the South zone reported 88 and there are 45 in the North zone.

Story continues below advertisement

Seven active cases are not assigned to a zone.

Read more:
Some Alberta pharmacies are testing for coronavirus, but you’ll have to call around

Fifty-five people are in hospital with seven of those people currently in the ICU.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

To date, the province has performed 500,203 tests and 7,716 people have recovered.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending