Connect with us

Media

Sask. government says social media posts about ICU patient transfers should be 'disregarded' – CTV News

Published

 on


REGINA –

The Saskatchewan government released a statement Thursday morning saying social media posts about ICU patient transfers should be “disregarded” following immense confusion among doctors and officials over planned ICU patient transfers to Ontario.

The statement comes following social media posts by doctors in Saskatchewan and Ontario that said upcoming ICU patient transfers from Saskatchewan to Ontario had been cancelled.

Dr. Hassan Masri, an ICU physician from Saskatoon, tweeted the Saskatchewan government has called off all further patient transfers to Ontario ICUs, which the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre denies.

Masri told CTV News Wednesday evening there were plans in place for “a lot more” Saskatchewan patients to be sent out east for care this week.

Dr. Michael Warner from Toronto said he expected to receive a Saskatchewan COVID-19 patient at his hospital on Thursday, but the transfer was cancelled by the Saskatchewan government.

Ontario Health executive vice president Dr. Chris Simpson told CP24 on Tuesday there are plans in place to transfer an additional six patients throughout Thursday and Friday – which would bring the total number of patient transfers from Saskatchewan to 12.

Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) president Marlo Pritchard responded to that statement on Wednesday morning saying that is not the case.

CTV News reached out to the premier’s office Wednesday evening to ask for clarity about the claims made by the doctors.

The statement from the government on Thursday morning not did clarify why Ontario officials believed six more patients were coming or why doctors were under the impression those additional transfers had been cancelled.

A spokesperson for the Saskatchewan government said the province will announce all confirmed ICU patient transfers through official channels.

On Thursday afternoon the province said three more patients will be transferred to Ontario in the coming days. 

With files from CTVRegina.ca’s Michaela Solomon

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

My Media Release – Hamilton Police Service

Published

 on


ATV Rider Suffers Serious Injuries in Collision

On Friday December 3, 2021 at 9:30pm, Hamilton Police and Hamilton Paramedics responded to Highland Road east of Fifth Road East for a single vehicle collision involving an ATV.

A 39 year old male was riding an ATV eastbound on Highland Road East when he lost control and was ejected off the vehicle.

The male was transported to the Hamilton General Hospital with serious injuries.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is requesting any witnesses to this collision to contact Police at (905) 546-4753 or (905) 546-4755.

To provide information anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Canadiens executive vice-president Jeff Gorton marks new era, meets Montreal media – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


It’s been the talk of the town among sports fans for the past week: the Montreal Canadiens firing longtime general manager Marc Bergevin and bringing in Jeff Gorton as executive vice-president. The newly appointed VP met with the Montreal media for the first time Friday morning to mark the start of a new era.

The former New York Rangers general manager started by attempting to say a few sentences in French. When finished, he thanked owner Geoff Molson and said, “I hope that was OK.”

Gorton said working for the Habs is a dream. He feels like the Original Six franchise is a good fit, despite the fact that the Massachusetts-born VP grew up cheering for the Boston Bruins.

“You know, the Canadians broke my heart a lot of times. That’s my first memories, like in 1979, probably sticks out as the first one,” he told reporters.

Gorton insisted that he’s just starting out in his new role and he’s still getting a feel for the team. Regardless, the executive vice-president plans to work on player development and wants to add an analytics team.

Read more:

Call of the Wilde — Colorado Avalanche easily handle Montreal Canadiens 4-1

“I do believe in analytics and I think that the way the game has gone, I think it’s a big piece of information that you need to have,” said Gorton.

A big piece missing from his qualifications is that Gorton doesn’t speak French. He said he’s learning — his wife even bought him lessons — and asks for patience.

“I wanted to be great at golf and I still stink. Right? So I will do my best,” he said, chuckling.

Fans seem to support his effort, saying it’s not language that will help the Habs get out of this season’s slump.

“He did some sentences in French this morning, so I think it’s a good step forward,” said fan Patrick Gervais.

Read more:

Call of the Wilde — The Montreal Canadiens’ future begins to take shape

The team is still looking for a French-speaking general manager to complement Gorton. Former Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy has expressed interest in the position. But Gorton says he has yet to draw up a shortlist, adding that it’s unlikely Bergevin’s successor will be named before Christmas.

“I don’t want to commit to anybody. I don’t want to say no to anybody so people can keep calling me if they like,” he said.

However, Global News hockey analyst Brian Wilde doesn’t expect Roy to get the job.

Instead, he said he thinks Molson and Gorton would like “someone who has a lot of experience in scouting and has some experience as an assistant general manager.”

“I think Mark Madden fits the role in Anaheim,” said Wilde.

Wilde says he liked what he heard from Gorton on Friday. But the executive vice-president kept his cards close so fans will have to wait to see what the Gorton era brings.

“I don’t think we got our answer to whether it’s going to be a full rebuild, and I think we’re going to have to wait just to see how many moves he makes,” said Wilde.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Montreal real estate broker fined $1500 for English-language social media ad – CTV News Montreal

Published

 on


MONTREAL —
A Montreal real estate broker has picked up a hefty fine for posting a social media ad in English only.

REMAX Broker Qiang Zhong said he was issued the ticket of $1,500 by the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) over the post, which advertised one of his properties.

Zhong said he didn’t mind picking up the bill. “I know the government just wants to promote a French language,” he said. “I don’t have any personal emotion against this stuff.”

The fine came from a violation of Article 52 of Quebec’s French Charter, which states that, “catalogues, brochures, folders, commercial directories and any similar publications must be drawn up in French.”

The OQLF said it became aware of the infraction after a complaint on Oct. 23, 2019.

Zhong said he’s been working as a broker in Montreal for more than a decade after moving here from China, where he’s used to navigating between languages: Mandarin, the official language of Mainlaind China, and Cantonese, which is also common in his home province of Guangdong.

He said he’s still connected with his home communities, and has helped several new Chinese immigrants find homes in Montreal. He said he also encourages newcomers to learn French — the province’s official language.

“Even though I got the bill, I still love Montreal,” he said. “I could get double or triple the money in Toronto in Vancouver, but I want to stay here.”

He also said the ad brought prospective buyers to the REMAX website, which can be viewed in both French and English.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending