SYDNEY, July 7 (Reuters) – A two-week COVID-19 lockdown in Australia’s largest city of Sydney will be extended for another week in a bid to contain an outbreak of the highly infectious Delta virus variant, local media reported on Wednesday.
The city, home to a fifth of Australia’s 25 million people, is fighting its worst outbreak of the year so far, with total cases reaching more than 330 since the first case was detected three weeks ago.
New South Wales (NSW) state authorities imposed a hard lockdown on June 26 to get on top of the Delta strain. The stay-home orders were scheduled to end Friday, but will now end on July 16, media reports said.
The office of the NSW state premier did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment.
Existing restrictions, including mandatory masks indoors and in public transport, will remain for another week and schools in Sydney will move to remote learning when they end their winter break, the Sydney Morning Herald said in a report.
Officials have said the lockdown has been effective as the tough restrictions limited daily cases to tens rather than hundreds, but the fast moving Delta variant in a country that has been slow to vaccinate alarmed officials. NSW is scheduled to report its daily COVID-19 numbers at 11 a.m. (0100 GMT).
Lockdowns, swift contact tracing and a high community compliance with social distancing rules have helped Australia suppress past outbreaks and keep its COVID-19 numbers relatively low, with just over 30,800 COVID-19 cases and 910 deaths.
Reporting by Renju Jose; editing by Richard Pullin
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
AJ Contrast wins One World Media Award – Al Jazeera English
Al Jazeera Digital’s innovation studio site highlights challenges women with disabilities face in navigating megacities.
Al Jazeera’s immersive storytelling and media innovation studio, AJ Contrast, has won a top prize at the One World Media Awards in London.
One World jurors conferred the win in the Digital Media category for AJ Contrast’s interactive site, Inaccessible Cities.
The project brings audiences into the experiences of three women with disabilities as they struggle to navigate their cities – Mumbai, Lagos and New York.
Winners were announced across 15 categories during a ceremony in London on June 16.
The One World Media Awards recognise excellence in unreported stories from the Global South that “break stereotypes, change the narrative and connect people across cultures”.
Inaccessible Cities added the award to numerous other wins so far this year in the Drum Online, Gracie, New York Festivals and Telly Awards.
More than one billion people – 15 percent of the global population – experience some form of disability. Many live in urban areas.
The Inaccessible Cities site begins with a simple question: “How would you get around a megacity if you couldn’t walk, see signs or hear cars passing by?”
“It’s a great honour to be recognised by the One World Media Awards,” said Zahra Rasool, head of AJ Contrast.
“Our aim has always been to highlight unreported stories about the people most impacted by inequality, often in the Global South.
“With Inaccessible Cities, we wanted to show how a lack of accessible public transport and infrastructure impacts people with disabilities – especially women – from fully and independently participating in society.
“Our aim is to continue inspiring a new standard for digital news content that’s fully inclusive of people with disabilities and to bring awareness to their challenges.”
In keeping with AJ Contrast’s emphasis on collaboration, the team worked closely with journalists with disabilities, local talent and the women who are the subject of the interactive experience.
“We are very proud of our AJ Contrast team,” said Carlos van Meek, Al Jazeera’s director of Digital Innovation and Programming. “Despite the production challenges brought on by COVID-19, this driven, talented team has continued to innovate and set the benchmark for immersive storytelling.”
Other Al Jazeera Digital teams made the One World long list, including the AJLabs series Visualising the Afghan War and two films by short documentary unit AJ Close Up – Russia’s Banned Youth and Norway’s Afghan Sons.
The Al Jazeera English broadcast channel also was long listed in the News category for the 101 East documentary India’s COVID Warriors. Jurors evaluated a record number of entries from 96 countries.
The complete list of One World winners can be found in the One World Media winners’ gallery.
Toronto politician accused of homophobic social media posts resigns from city council – blogTO
Rosemarie Bryan, a newly appointed city councillor for Toronto’s Etobicoke North district, resigned from her position just hours after several homophobic tweets were surfaced from her social media account.
Tonight, Rosemarie Bryan has resigned the City Council seat she was appointed to today.
— John Tory (@TorontosMayor) June 25, 2022
Rather than have an election to fill the open seat, the convention is for the departing city councillor to recommend his or her replacement and as we learned this week, the current city councillors basically agree to the recommendation without any proper vetting or due diligence.
All was fine and well until a number of anti-2SLGBTQ+, Islamophobic and anti-Asian social media posts were surfaced by local journalist Jonathan Goldsbie.
— Jonathan Goldsbie (@goldsbie) June 24, 2022
Councillors quickly realized they might have been a tad too hasty to back the appointment which was done through a simple vote. Only two councillors voted against confirming Bryan.
“I want to state unequivocally that had I seen these posts before the vote, I would have never supported Rosemary,” wrote councillor Buxton Potts in a tweet.
Many of the councillors who voted for Bryan now admit the process needs to change and that the confirmation of replacement councillors has relied too heavily on the recommendation of the departing one.
It’s customary for council to support the choice of the councillor who resigned their seat since they won the election. This dates back a long way and certainly needs to be re-examined.
— Mike Layton (@m_layton) June 24, 2022
In this case, no councillors appeared to do any due diligence that could have possibly surfaced the social media posts before Bryan’s appointment was confirmed.
This process certainly demands a rethink of the way the appointment process works.
— Mike Layton (@m_layton) June 25, 2022
Some of Bryan’s old posts include shared content from Tucker Carlson and statements from preachers that claim “homosexuality is wrong” and that “divine order is needed in  churches,” along with comments of approval from Bryan that had, at one point, clearly supported these messages.
These posts are not acceptable for a Toronto City Councillor.
I totally disagree with any homophobic or transphobic views. I absolutely support our 2SLGBTQ+ residents. City Councillors are expected to set an example when it comes to consistency with our shared values.
— John Tory (@TorontosMayor) June 25, 2022
Bryan’s social media posts were first uncovered by Goldsbie on Friday night when he tweeted that City Council’s newest member is a person who has “repeatedly shared anti-LGBTQ content on Facebook” which, the discovery shocking enough on its own, was found at the start of Pride weekend.
Councillors began to weigh-in just moments after Goldsbie’s revelation, regretting not digging enough earlier to uncover what would later make a huge difference.
I want to state unequivocally if I had I seen these social media posts prior to City Council I would never have voted for Rosemarie Bryan. I am glad she resigned. The system for Cllr vacancies needs to be changed. #Ward24 #TOPoli https://t.co/b28hbZ1YjK
— Paul Ainslie (@cllrainslie) June 25, 2022
Bryan issued a statement late Friday stating she was “so devastated” that past social media posts she made “are now being thrown against” her decades of commitment to the community.
Breaking – The interim Ward 1 city councillor appointed by Toronto city council this afternoon has resigned after @goldsbie flagged Facebook posts that appear to be homophobic pic.twitter.com/LZtYsq12zR
— David Rider (@dmrider) June 25, 2022
Bryan claims she will “remain committed to helping [her] community in every way that [she] can.”
Many people are still upset at the fact that Bryan was ever appointed in the first place.
People are also critiquing her “apology” or lack thereof, saying that the only apology issued was an apology about the fact that she was discovered.
Mayor John Tory tweeted that he has now “asked City officials to review the overall appointment process ahead of future Council appointments.”
Newest council appointment resigns after controversial social media posts surface – CityNews Toronto
[unable to retrieve full-text content]
- Newest council appointment resigns after controversial social media posts surface CityNews Toronto
- Newly appointed Toronto councillor resigns after controversial social media posts resurfaced CTV News Toronto
- Toronto politician accused of homophobic social media posts resigns from city council blogTO
- Toronto’s newest councillor resigns hours after she was appointed Global News
- View Full coverage on Google News
See A Jaw-Dropping Crescent Moon, 50 Meteors And Hour And Our Billion-Star Milky Way: What You Can See In The Night Sky This Week – Forbes
Astronomers Found a Crater From The Mystery Rocket That Smashed Into The Moon – ScienceAlert
Don"t let investment goals be blinded by interest rate rise – Proactive Investors Australia
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
Economy19 hours ago
America Wasted Its Chance to Push the Economy Forward – The Atlantic
Science14 hours ago
Esteemed Australian Kit Home Expert Informs On Using Eco-Friendly Materials – Digital Journal
Economy6 hours ago
India's Economy Shows Spark on Pent-Up Demand After Reopenings – BNN
Sports4 hours ago
Lightning’s Brayden Point remains out of lineup for Game 6 – Sportsnet.ca
News18 hours ago
‘In a crisis’: Deaths of Indigenous women in Winnipeg spark calls for safe housing
News17 hours ago
Ahead of planned Canada Day protests, federal minister says he hopes lessons have been learned – CBC News
Health17 hours ago
People with COVID-19 can infect and sicken cats and dogs by cuddling them: study – CTV News
Art17 hours ago
Tycoon Dimitris Daskalopoulos gives away huge haul of modern art – The Guardian