Connect with us

Media

Turkey rounds up hundreds for social media posts about coronavirus – National Post

Published

on


ISTANBUL — Turkey has arrested 410 people for making “provocative” posts on social media about the coronavirus outbreak, its interior minister said on Wednesday.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu praised Turks for complying with social distancing measures imposed so far to curtail the spread of the disease, and said this meant tighter controls such as a curfew may be unnecessary.

Turkey has shut schools, cafes and bars, banned mass prayers, postponed sports matches and suspended flights. The number of confirmed cases of the virus in Turkey rose by 343 to 1,872 on Tuesday. Forty-four people have died.

Soylu noted that since the restrictions were put in place, the number of passengers on inter-city buses had fallen 83% and traffic intensity within 15 major cities had fallen 65%.

“So far, our citizens are complying to the highest level with all the measures we have imposed. This is a particularly good point for us,” Soylu said in an interview with broadcaster TV 24. “As long as citizens observe their own emergency rules themselves, it may not be necessary for now to take tighter measures.”

The minister said almost 2,000 social media accounts had been identified making provocative posts about the outbreak, resulting in the detention of 410 people “attempting to stir unrest.”

He said that most of the accounts were linked to militant groups, without giving further details of the identities of the suspects.

Some of the arrests were over posts that showed youths mocking elderly people for venturing outside during the lockdown, he said. Such posts have been a source of public anger in Turkey.

Turkey’s leadership has been accused in the past by rights groups and political opponents of cracking down on social media to limit criticism. The government says its strict monitoring of social media is necessary to guarantee public safety. (Reporting by Ceyda Caglayan Writing by Daren Butler Editing by Ece Toksabay and Peter Graff)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

Letter: Media needs to press for analysis of decisions made about COVID-19 – MorinvilleNews.com

Published

on



We are finally hearing numbers of people who have recovered.

This is hopefully giving cautious hope to many.

I am interested in the numbers that are stated as “community contact” versus travel related. As this pandemic did not originate in North America, at some point they are all travel related.

I would like to see the media pressing questions as to the analysis of decisions made.

Especially the new cases.

Can sickness, and deaths, be traced to decisions to return Canadians? Are any traced to the people who were flown to the military base in Ontario and then released?

Were people passed through airline and airport screenings who then proved to be sources, after it was clear, especially in Italy, that the pandemic was escalating?

Families, and the governments, are making decisions in uncharted, emotional times.

We will face this again in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
Click To Visit Website

I would like assurances that there are analysis structures in place to improve the decision making processes for the future.

On the economic front as well.

Alan Otway
Morinville

Editor’s note: Readers are “finally” hearing about the number of people recovered because those numbers are “finally” being included in the daily update from the Chief Medical Officer of Health. As the CMO indicated, previously there was no administrative process in place to determine accurately who had recovered. With that process in place, we are now being given daily updates on recovery numbers.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments

comments

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

ABC’s Karl calls Rubio’s tweet on media outrageous, hurtful – 570 News

Published

on


NEW YORK — The president of the White House Correspondents’ Association on Monday called on Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to apologize for a tweet saying some media members “can’t contain their delight” at reports of Americans getting the coronavirus.

Jonathan Karl, who is ABC News’ White House correspondent, said Rubio’s tweet was outrageous, wrong and hurtful.

There was no immediate response by the Florida Republican by social media or through a query to his Senate staff.

On Sunday, Rubio tweeted that “some in our media can’t contain their glee and delight in reporting the the U.S. has more coronavirus cases” than China.

Beyond being grotesque, he suggested it was bad journalism because he believes the Chinese aren’t telling the truth about how many of their citizens have contracted the virus.

“Who are you talking about, senator?” Karl asked during an appearance on ABC’s “The View.” Rubio has not clarified which media members he believes were gleeful about the number of U.S. cases.

Karl said journalists at CBS and NBC News had died of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, and two members of the White House press corps are suspected of having contracted the virus.

“Who does Marco Rubio think is taking joy and glee at more people being sick?” Karl said.

The Associated Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

ABC's Karl calls Rubio's tweet on media outrageous, hurtful – Times Colonist

Published

on


NEW YORK — The president of the White House Correspondents’ Association on Monday called on Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to apologize for a tweet saying some media members “can’t contain their delight” at reports of Americans getting the coronavirus.

Jonathan Karl, who is ABC News’ White House correspondent, said Rubio’s tweet was outrageous, wrong and hurtful.

article continues below

There was no immediate response by the Florida Republican by social media or through a query to his Senate staff.

On Sunday, Rubio tweeted that “some in our media can’t contain their glee and delight in reporting the the U.S. has more coronavirus cases” than China.

Beyond being grotesque, he suggested it was bad journalism because he believes the Chinese aren’t telling the truth about how many of their citizens have contracted the virus.

“Who are you talking about, senator?” Karl asked during an appearance on ABC’s “The View.” Rubio has not clarified which media members he believes were gleeful about the number of U.S. cases.

Karl said journalists at CBS and NBC News had died of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, and two members of the White House press corps are suspected of having contracted the virus.

“Who does Marco Rubio think is taking joy and glee at more people being sick?” Karl said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending