" >Wife of Canada's first coronavirus patient tests positive; 19 under investigation - Nasdaq | Canada News Media
Connect with us

Health

Wife of Canada's first coronavirus patient tests positive; 19 under investigation – Nasdaq

Published

on




US Markets

Credit: REUTERS/CARLOS OSORIO

The wife of Canada’s first confirmed patient with the fast-spreading Wuhan coronavirus also has tested positive for it at an Ontario laboratory, and 19 other suspected cases in Canada are under investigation, public health officials said on Monday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario confirms eighth coronavirus case is Toronto man who travelled to Egypt – National Post

Published

on


TORONTO — Ontario health officials say they have confirmed a new positive case of COVID-19 in Toronto.

Dr. David Williams, medical officer of health, said Friday night that this is the eighth case of novel coronavirus in the province.

Officials said the patient is a man in his 80s with a travel history to Egypt.

He arrived in Toronto on Feb. 20 and went to the Scarborough Health Network’s General Hospital’s emergency department on Thursday.

Officials said he was isolated as he was tested for COVID-19 and discharged the same day feeling well and went home, where he remains.

“Throughout his travels, the man wore a mask,” the Ontario Ministry of Health said in a release. “Toronto Public Health is actively engaged in contact tracing and case management.”

The government noted that Ontario’s first three cases are all resolved, with each of those patients having two consecutive negative tests at least 24 hours apart.

The outbreak of the virus known as COVID-19 began in China, and that country continues to have the most cases by far, but there have been emerging clusters in other countries such as South Korea, Italy and Iran.

Iran has so far recorded 388 cases and 34 deaths.

In Canada, most of the recent cases in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia have been in people who had travelled to Iran.

Quebec public health officials announced Friday night that the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg has confirmed the province’s first case of the novel coronavirus.

Health Minister Danielle McCann announced Thursday that a woman who returned to Montreal on Monday from Iran was believed to have the COVID-19 virus, but confirmation was needed from the federal laboratory.

Throughout his travels, the man wore a mask

The Health Department said the patient’s close contacts have been advised of the appropriate precautionary measures. The woman had minor symptoms that did not require hospitalization and is currently in isolation at her home.

“I would like to highlight the civic-mindedness of the patient, who hastened to take preventive and hygiene measures to avoid those around her from becoming infected,” said Yves Jalbert, deputy head of Quebec’s public health agency.

Earlier Thursday, officials announced that Ontario’s seventh case is a man in his 50s who arrived in Toronto from Iran on Tuesday and went to the emergency department of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre the next day.

Proper protocols went into place at the hospital and the man was isolated as he was tested for COVID-19. The man was sent home the same day to recover and has been in self-isolation since then.

“The risk of being infected with COVID-19 in Ontario remains very low,” Williams said.

Toronto Public Health is reaching out to people who came into contact with the man.

The risk of being infected with COVID-19 in Ontario remains very low

Health Minister Christine Elliott stressed the low risk to the public, but also said the province is prepared, if the situation escalates.

“We are ready should the situation change from what it is now, but as I’ve indicated, the risk remains very low,” she said. “But it is important for all Ontarians to know we are prepared. Our hospitals are prepared. We have the protective equipment we need to protect our health officials and we are ready to move immediately should the situation change at any time.”

Canada now has 16 confirmed cases, including seven in British Columbia and one in Quebec.

The head of the World Health Organization said Friday that the risk of the virus spreading worldwide was “very high,” citing the “continued increase in the number of cases and the number of affected countries.”

— with files from The Associated Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

2nd COVID-19 case of unknown origin reported in California – Global News

Published

on


California health officials on Friday confirmed the second case of novel coronavirus in the United States believed to have been transmitted to a person who didn’t travel internationally or come in close contact with anyone who had it.

Health officials in San Jose said the patient was an older adult woman with chronic health conditions who does not have a travel history or any known contact with a traveler or infected person. It comes a day after state officials said a woman hospitalized at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento had contracted the illness after no known contact.

“This new case indicates that there is evidence of community transmission, but the extent is still not clear,” said Dr. Sara Cody, health officer for Santa Clara County and director of the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department.






1:47
World Health Organization raises COVID-19 risk to highest level


World Health Organization raises COVID-19 risk to highest level

Officials were able to get quick confirmation because the test was done by the Santa Clara County Public Health Laboratory with test kits received from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Officials submitted the woman’s specimens for testing Thursday and received the results Thursday night.

Story continues below advertisement

The California Department of Public Health said Friday that the state will receive enough kits from the CDC to test up to 1,200 people, a day after Gov. Gavin Newsom complained to federal health officials that the state had already exhausted its initial 200 test kits.

State official also said the federal government decided it will not need to use the Fairview Developmental Center in Orange County to isolate passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship. That’s because of the imminent end of the isolation period for those passengers and the relatively small number of persons who ended up testing positive, officials said.


READ MORE:
California monitoring more than 8,400 flight arrivals for COVID-19 symptoms

The CDC had originally estimated that as many as half the passengers would test positive. But the state said the actual number has been “substantially lower.” A federal judge had granted officials in Costa Mesa a temporary restraining order blocking the transfers during the time when state officials said the facility had been “critically needed.”

Cody said the newly confirmed case in Santa Clara County is not linked to two previous cases in that county, nor to others in the state.

The Santa Clara County resident was treated at a local hospital and is not known to have traveled to Solano County, where public health officials have identified dozens of people — but less than 100 — who had close contact with the case announced Thursday. They are quarantined in their homes. and a few who have shown symptoms are in isolation, officials said.

Story continues below advertisement






1:59
COVID-19: CDC reports first case in U.S. with unknown connection


COVID-19: CDC reports first case in U.S. with unknown connection

At UC Davis Medical Center, at least 124 registered nurses and other health care workers were sent home for “self-quarantine” after the woman with the virus was admitted, National Nurses United, a nationwide union representing RNs, said Friday.

“Despite University of California medical facilities being generally better prepared and equipped to treat challenging medical cases, the … case highlights the vulnerability of the nation’s hospitals to this virus,” the union said.

The case of the infected women marks an escalation of the worldwide outbreak in the U.S. because it means the virus could spread beyond the reach of preventative measures like quarantines, though state health officials said that was inevitable and that the risk of widespread transmission remains low.

California public health officials on Friday said more than 9,380 people are self-monitoring after arriving on commercial flights from China through Los Angeles and San Francisco. That’s up from the 8,400 that Newsom cited on Thursday, though officials said the number increases daily as more flights arrive.


READ MORE:
First COVID-19 case in U.S. with unknown connection reported in California

Officials are not too worried, for now, about casual contact, because federal officials think the coronavirus is spread only through “close contact, being within six feet of somebody for what they’re calling a prolonged period of time,” said Dr. James Watt, interim state epidemiologist at the California Department of Public Health.

Story continues below advertisement

The virus can cause fever, coughing, wheezing and pneumonia. Health officials think it spreads mainly from droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how the flu spreads.

As infectious disease experts fanned out in the Solano County city of Vacaville, some residents in the city between San Francisco and Sacramento stocked up on supplies amid fears things could get worse despite official reassurances, while others took the news in stride.

The woman in the community who has coronavirus first sought treatment at NorthBay VacaValley Hospital in Vacaville, before her condition worsened and she was transferred to the medical center in Sacramento.






3:04
Trump says U.S. mulling over COVID-19 travel ban extension


Trump says U.S. mulling over COVID-19 travel ban extension

Sacramento County’s top health official told The Sacramento Bee on Friday that he expects several medical workers to test positive themselves in the next few days. Numerous workers at both hospitals have been tested, but the tests were sent to labs approved by the CDC and generally take three to four days to complete.

Peter Beilenson, Sacramento County’s health services director, said he expects even those who test positive to become only mildly ill.

Confusion over how quickly the woman was tested for coronavirus concerned McKinsey Paz, who works at a private security firm in Vacaville. The company has already stockpiled 450 face masks and is scrambling for more “since they’re hard to come by.” The company’s owner bought enough cleaning and disinfectant supplies to both scrub down the office and send home with employees.

Story continues below advertisement

But they appeared to be at the extreme for preparations.


READ MORE:
Countries take dramatic steps to contain new virus that ‘doesn’t respect borders’

Eugenia Kendall was wearing a face mask, but in fear of anything including the common cold. Her immune system is impaired because she is undergoing chemotherapy, and she has long been taking such precautions.

“We’re not paranoid. We’re just trying to be practical,” said her husband of 31 years, Ivan Kendall. “We wipe the shopping carts if they have them, and when I get back in the car I wipe my hands — and just hope for the best.”

Experts in both communities are interviewing immediate family members and expanding their net to include more distant family members who may have been in contact, social gatherings like church that the patient may have attended and any possible time spent at work or events like a concert.






0:38
COVID-19: U.N. official says ‘window of opportunity’ for virus containment is narrowing


COVID-19: U.N. official says ‘window of opportunity’ for virus containment is narrowing

Besides the woman, all the other cases in the U.S. have been for people who traveled abroad or had close contact with others who traveled.

Earlier U.S. cases included 14 in people who returned from outbreak areas in China, or their spouses; three people who were evacuated from the central China city of Wuhan; and 42 American passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

Story continues below advertisement

The number of people sickened by the virus hovered Friday around 83,000, and there were more than 2,800 deaths, most of them in China.

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario confirms new case of coronavirus in Toronto – Toronto Star

Published

on


Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox

Sign up for the Star’s Morning Headlines email newsletter for a briefing of the day’s big news.

Sign Up Now

More from The Star & Partners

Top Stories

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending