British Columbia reached another grim milestone Thursday, as the total number of COVID-19 cases recorded in the province topped 10,000.
Speaking at a live briefing, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry reported 110 new cases, bringing the total to 10,066.
B.C. also recorded one new death, for a total of 245.
“Today we’ve reached a threshold, which is one that makes us pause. We have 10,000 people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the province, and we know that is an under-representation,” Henry said.
“It’s a reminder that many people have been impacted by this virus.”
Should there be asymptomatic testing for COVID-19 in B.C.?
Active cases edged upwards again to 1,394, while another 3,139 people remained in isolation due to possible exposure.
Fifty-five of the new cases were in the Fraser Health region, 49 of them in the Vancouver Health region, five in the Northern Health region and one was on Vancouver Island.
Seventy-six people with the virus were in hospital — 17 of whom are in critical or intensive care.
About 84 per cent of people who have tested positive for COVID-19 in B.C. have recovered.
After a spike in September in which B.C. regularly reported more than 150 new cases per day, the province has begun to slowly flatten its curve of infection again.
The province conducted more than 12,000 COVID-19 tests in the previous 24 hours, Henry said, adding that the positivity rate was below one per cent.
However, she urged British Columbians to keep their Thanksgiving celebrations small this weekend and find ways to connect that don’t put people at risk.
Dr. Bonnie Henry’s health and safety advice for B.C. businesses
Henry also used her briefing Thursday to urge businesses to review their COVID-19 safety plans, with respiratory illness season fast approaching.
Businesses should make it easy for workers who feel ill to stay home, and integrate health screening as a regular part of everyone’s workday.
Companies should also track who is at work every day, and who they have been in contact with.
She also pledged easy access to the flu vaccine in the coming weeks, noting that some doses had already begun to arrive in B.C.
“It should be available in the coming weeks for anyone who wants it,” Henry said.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Manitoba to give COVID-19 update as new Winnipeg restrictions begin – CTV News Winnipeg
The Manitoba government is set to give an update on COVID-19 cases in the province on Monday, Oct. 19.
Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer, will be speaking at a news conference at 12:30 p.m. at the Manitoba Legislative Building. CTV News Winnipeg will live-stream the event.
This news conference comes as new restrictions take effect in the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region amid growing case numbers. These restrictions include reducing gathering sizes to five people for both indoor and outdoor public and private gatherings, and closing beverage rooms, bars, live entertainment facilities, casinos and bingo halls.
Over the weekend, Manitoba announced 129 new COVID-19 cases – 85 on Saturday and 44 on Sunday, as well as two more deaths. This brings the province’s death toll to 40 people.
Currently, there are 1,675 active cases of the disease in Manitoba, 1,436 of which are in Winnipeg, which is under code orange restrictions.
Since March, there have been 3,302 cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba.
This is a developing story, more details to come.
– With files from CTV’s Danton Unger and Mason DePatie.
New Winnipeg restrictions take effect today
Amid rising COVID-19 case numbers, the Manitoba government has issued more targeted restrictions for the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region, which come into effect on Monday, Oct. 19.
These new rules include:
- Reducing gathering sizes to five people for both indoor and outdoor public and private gatherings. This excludes household members for private gatherings inside a home;
- Closing beverage rooms, bars, live entertainment facilities, casinos and bingo halls;
- Limiting capacity at restaurants and lounges to 50 per cent. Tables can be no more than five people with two-metre distancing;
- Limiting retail businesses to 50 per cent capacity. Food courts and common areas must adhere to the five-person group size limit;
- Reducing the number of spectators at sporting activities and after-school events to 25 per cent of a site’s capacity;
- Reducing capacity at museums, galleries and libraries to 50 per cent. These facilities must also collect all attendees’ contact information; and
- Gyms and fitness centres must collect all attendees contact information. Everyone at a gym or fitness centre must wear a mask, unless they are doing physical activity.
These restrictions will remain in place for two weeks, at which time the province will reassess the rules.
“At two weeks we are going to need to either extend them or draw back – so we want to make it really clear that the intent of this is strictly time-limited,” said Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer, at a news conference on Friday, Oct. 16.
These new restrictions are in addition to the current rules in place for the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region, which includes mandatory masks in all indoor public spaces.
The Winnipeg Metropolitan Region has been under orange or restricted levels on the pandemic response system since Sept. 28.
“These restrictions will all be enforceable under the law,” Roussin said.
“We’ve issued fines in the past when required and we will be looking at ways of stepping up enforcing efforts in the coming weeks.”
As of Sunday, Oct. 18, there are 1,436 active COVID-19 cases in Winnipeg, the highest of any region in the province.
– With files from CTV’s Danton Unger.
Nova Scotia businesses won’t survive another year of COVID-19 restrictions
The Canadian Federation of Independent Business say many Atlantic Canada businesses are on the brink of bankruptcy.
According to their most recent study, 59 percent of Nova Scotia businesses would struggle to survive another year of COVID-19 business restrictions.
Jordi Morgan, Vice President of the Atlantic region for the CFIB, told NEWS 95.7’s The Rick Howe Show that without continued government support, many businesses in the province will slip below the surface, according to research CFIB has been conducting on business revenues ever since the pandemic began.
“In Nova Scotia, we’re looking at about only 33 percent normal or better,” said Morgan of businesses’ revenues compared to before the pandemic began. “So that means the remainder are below that.”
According to Morgan, the sectors most impacted are arts, hospitality and natural resources industries.
He added the most recent figures show 8 percent of businesses in the province are actively considering bankruptcy or winding down.
With the current revenue projections, only about 35 percent of Nova Scotia businesses would survive the year with their current earnings.
Morgan says the provincial government needs to get creative and ease business restrictions to make life easier for buisnesses as they brace for a potential second wave of COVID-19.
Source: – HalifaxToday.ca
China accuses Canada of condoning media criticism of Hong Kong comments – Global News
Kyle Dubas says he’s finished with the Maple Leafs roster moves – Pension Plan Puppets
OtterBox Launches Apple-Exclusive Cases for iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max – Stockhouse
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health24 hours ago
Coronavirus outbreaks at two Toronto hospitals tied to 29 cases
- News17 hours ago
Canada isn’t ruling out taking a stake in Canadian airlines
- Science23 hours ago
SpaceX launches another batch of Starlink satellites – Spaceflight Now – Spaceflight Now
- Business22 hours ago
After complaints, CRA encourages some failed CRB applicants to reapply on Monday – CBC.ca
- Real eState17 hours ago
Prices are going up again. What does this mean for the future of Vancouver's housing market? – Vancouver Sun
- Science15 hours ago
CRTC approves SpaceX's BITS licence application for Starlink project – MobileSyrup
- Tech20 hours ago
Apple begins shipping first iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro pre-orders ahead of Friday release – 9to5Mac
- Investment21 hours ago
Israel, UAE agree deal to boost investment in each other's economies – The Journal Pioneer