Connect with us

Art

BTS launches global art project, and you can watch the first part online – Mashable

Published

 on


They’re into art now.
Image: GETTY IMAGES FOR THE RECORDING ACADEMY

BTS has taken over most of the planet by now, but they’re yet to take over one part: the art world.

But that’s about to change, as the K-pop superstars have launched a new global art project called Connect, BTS – a series of large-scale art projects in five cities, on four continents, with 22 artists.

The best bit? You can watch some of it online.

Announced by video-link from Seoul on Tuesday, the seven members of BTS explained the project as a means to connect with people across continents, like the band’s music has. According to the BBC, the project is being curated by Korean artist Daehyung Lee, who reiterated to the news outlet the aim to connect with people of “different cultural backgrounds, social classes, ethnicities, genders and identities,” across the five cities.

The project will come to spaces in London, Berlin, Buenos Aires, Seoul, and New York over the first few months of 2020.

The group had been teasing the launch of the project for days with ambiguous tweets:

Before you get too excited, BTS doesn’t actually feature in the artworks themselves. And only some of the works are overtly BTS-themed.

“This project aims to redefine the relationships between art and music, the material and immaterial, artists and their audiences, artists and artists, theory and practice,” reads the undeniably vague statement on the project’s website. “Connect, BTS may be described in terms of a collective curatorial practice by curators around the world who resonated with BTS’ philosophy.”

First stop, London, with a work called Catharsis, launched on Tuesday. It’s a video artwork by Danish artist Jakob Kudsk Steensen and American sound artist Matt McCorkle, and is made up of one continuous shot that moves through a “virtual forest” constructed of footage gathered from several North American forests. You can watch it right now on the website, catharsis.live, powered by Twitch. If you want to see it in person, it’s coming to London’s Serpentine Gallery from Jan. 28.

Exactly what a forest has to do with BTS? Perhaps you can tell us.

Other works will include a “drawing in space” on New York’s Brooklyn Bridge by sculptor Sir Antony Gormley using 16 kilometres (9.9 miles) of aluminium tubing, and a performance art program with 17 artists in Berlin. 

In Seoul, on the walls of the Dongdaemun Plaza, you’ll find the most blatant connection to BTS with Korean artist Yiyun Kang’s video projection Beyond The Scene, which has been described as a “re-imagining of BTS’ signature dance movements.”

In Buenos Aires, Argentinian artist Tomás Saraceno will conduct a world record attempt to lift a human into the sky using a balloon, according to the BBC, which will be “powered only by the sun and the air we breathe, without fossil fuels, solar panels, batteries or helium.” Saraceno told the news outlet that he was separately going to fly a self-powered balloon made of plastic bags from London to Seoul, which BTS fans will be encouraged to track online and “help out” if the balloon gets tangled or caught.

Need something BTS-themed to take your mind off things while you’re waiting for all the art? Play the mobile game. Art in itself.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Art

Northern Ireland collective wins the prestigious Turner Prize for art – Boise State Public Radio

Published

 on


LONDON — An 11-person collective from Belfast that aims to transcend Northern Ireland’s political and religious divides won the U.K.’s prestigious Turner Prize for art on Wednesday.

The Array Collective took the 25,000 pound ($33,000) prize for “The Druithaib’s Ball,” a recreation of a traditional Irish shebeen, or speakeasy, that is full of references to 100 years of Northern Ireland history. Prize organizers said the collective’s work tackles “urgent social and political issues affecting Northern Ireland with humor, seriousness and beauty.”

Collective member Laura O’Connor said the group would put the prize money toward finding a permanent base in Belfast, where redevelopment is making space less affordable for artists.

Named for 19th-century landscape painter J.M.W. Turner, the award was founded in 1984 and helped make stars of potter Grayson Perry, shark-pickling artist Damien Hirst and filmmaker Steve McQueen.

But it has also been criticized for rewarding impenetrable conceptual work and often sparks debate about the value of modern art. In 2019, all four finalists were declared winners after they refused to compete against one another. Last year’s prize was canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

This year, all five finalists were collectives rather than individual artists.

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Art

BBCG Group's Art Goguen Retires, Michel Prud'homme Appointed as incoming Managing Director – Canadian Underwriter

Published

 on



MISSISSAUGA, ON, DECEMBER 1, 2021/insPRESS/ – BBCG Group, an SCM Company serving clients as part of ClaimsPro’s Specialty Risk Division, announced today that Art Goguen, a founding partner of BBCG and current Managing Director, will be retiring in January. Michel Prud’homme, who joined the company in 2001, will assume the Managing Director role simultaneously.

Art Goguen, the youngest of four partners, formed BBCG in 1997. Widely experienced, Mr. Goguen developed a notable reputation for delivering exceptional client service, focusing primarily on fidelity bond claims with emphasis in complex financial institution, surety, financial guarantee, and trade credit insurance claims. Prior to forming BBCG, Art worked for 15 years as a Bond Claims Adjuster for a major insurer and a leading insurance claims adjusting firm.

Michel Prud’homme started his work with BBCG Group more than 20 years ago. His areas of practice include surety and fidelity bond claims, professional indemnity, and Directors & Officers liability as well as financial institution bond and trade credit claims. He began his career in 1990 working as a Surety Underwriter with a prominent insurer, and in the following years, he gained experience with other insurers in surety, fidelity, and professional liability. Mr. Prud’homme is a graduate of Business Administration from the Université du Québec à Montréal, and a frequent speaker for the Insurance Institute of Canada, Surety Association of Canada and École Polytechnique de Montréal.

Mr. Prud’homme will transition to Managing Director in the new year, continuing to work alongside Mr. Goguen in the interim.

BBCG is recognized for performing professional and technically superior investigations throughout Canada and globally. Working as a team, BBCG Group engages the right complement of resources including accountants, engineers, and other specialists as required. The team specializes in Fidelity, Contract Surety, Cyber, Trade Credit, Construction Risks, Financial Lines, E&O, and D&O claims.

“Art Goguen’s years of practice, breadth of experience, and dedication to client service make him a real force in this industry,” begins Sean Forgie, Senior Vice President of ClaimsPro’s Specialty Risk Division. “We wish him all the best in his retirement, and we’re pleased to have an internal highly qualified candidate in Michel Prud’homme assume his role.”

Lorri Frederick, President of ClaimsPro, echoes Mr. Forgie. “Art Goguen brought so much to ClaimsPro with the founding of BBCG, and his excellent reputation of service precedes him,” says Ms. Frederick. “Congratulations on an exemplary career and congratulations to Michel Prud’homme.”

Art Goguen official retires January 15, 2022, and Michel Prud’homme assumes the Managing Director role at that time.

For more information, please contact:

Lorri Frederick                                    Sean Forgie
President                                              Senior Vice President
ClaimsPro North America                     Specialty Risk Division
T: 905.740.2170                                    T: 905.564.0654
E: lorri.frederick@scm.ca                     E: sean.forgie@scm.ca

About ClaimsPro
ClaimsPro an independent adjusting and claims management company that has been working with Canada’s domestic insurance market for over 30 years. With offices in every province in Canada and multiple branch locations in the United States, ClaimsPro provides its clients with local expertise and the resources of a multi-national company. – claimspro.ca

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Art

Military says Adm. Art McDonald already faced ‘significant’ action as police report released – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


The Canadian military says actions taken so far against Adm. Art McDonald are “significant” and there are no plans to pursue measures like stripping or lowering his rank.

That comes as the release of the military police report into the investigation of an allegation against McDonald noted that the question of whether to take such actions was being handed over to military brass.

“Admiral McDonald will be releasing from the CAF, and the prior actions taken, including his suspension from the performance of his duties, as well as the subsequent termination of his appointment are considered significant actions,” said a spokesperson for the Department of National Defence.

“Further information regarding conditions of release is protected by the Privacy Act.”

Read more:

Military police will not charge Adm. Art McDonald after sexual misconduct probe

Global News obtained a copy of the military police investigation into McDonald via access to information laws. The investigation probed an allegation of sexual misconduct – specifically, sexual assault – made against McDonald by a female subordinate.

McDonald has denied the allegation and the investigation ended without a charge.

He has said he intends to retire from the military.

In contrast, military police sources emphasized the issue of rank in September when questioned by Global News on the decision not to pursue code of service penalties against McDonald’s predecessor, retired general Jonathan Vance.

Those sources cited the findings from former Supreme Court of Canada justice Morris Fish in June that it would be “legally impossible” for the military to charge and try someone in the role of chief of the defence staff because they have no peers to sit on the military panel weighing the charges.

However, that determination was specifically in relation to courts martial.

Read more:

Over 40 per cent of military sexual misconduct class action claims are from men, Eyre says

Military police have said their decision not to charge McDonald came down to “insufficient evidence.”

McDonald claimed that probe had also found the allegation was “unsubstantiated,” something the military’s provost marshal said in a subsequent statement was not the case.

READ MORE: McDonald sexual misconduct allegation was not deemed ‘unfounded,’ military confirms

McDonald’s lawyer also said in a three-page letter issued to media last week that: “The CFNIS investigative summary stated, ‘No witness reported seeing Admiral McDonald [do what was alleged].’”

The copy of the investigative report obtained by Global News contains 278 pages, almost all of them heavily redacted. None includes that excerpt.

It’s not clear whether McDonald’s legal team has a less redacted copy, and a lawyer for him did not respond to a request from Global News to provide a page number for that quote.

The closest material appears to be a section in the case summary part of the report, which states that military police investigators spoke with 38 potential witnesses who were on board the HMCS Montreal, the navy ship where the assault is alleged to have taken place during a party.

“Due to the specific location of the events under investigation, a number of individuals were not in a position to observe the alleged interaction,” the summary states.

The report notes investigators went on board the HMCS Montreal on March 27 to take pictures and video, but does not clearly indicate what those were.

McDonald temporarily stepped aside as chief of the defence staff in late February as a result of the investigation, and the government announced he had been permanently removed from the role via executive order on Nov. 25.

Gen. Wayne Eyre was named chief of the defence staff in his place.


Click to play video: 'The West Block: November 28'



23:24
The West Block: November 28


The West Block: November 28

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending