Connect with us

Health

Coronavirus: New outbreaks declared at 2 nursing homes in Waterloo Region – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


New COVID-19 outbreaks have been declared at long-term care homes in Kitchener and Waterloo, according to Waterloo Public Health.

The agency says that a resident has tested positive for coronavirus at Parkwood Mennonite Retirement Home in Waterloo, Ont., and another at Sunnyside Home in Kitchener, Ont.


READ MORE:
178 new coronavirus cases, 11 deaths in Ontario; total cases at 33,095

This is the third time an outbreak has been declared at Sunnyside and the second time one has been declared at Parkwood Mennonite.

Waterloo Public Health is working to determine the cause of the new outbreaks.

“Part of our investigation or assessment is to try and identify that,” said Julie Emili, Waterloo Public Health acting associate medical officer of health. “And it takes time because you have to get the results of testing.

Story continues below advertisement

“You have to do a little bit of investigative work.”

There are now three active outbreaks in Waterloo Region including the one at Forest Heights Long Term Care, which has seen 51 residents die and has been ongoing since April 1.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The outbreak at an unnamed retail location in the area has been declared over.


READ MORE:
Coronavirus: City of Waterloo announces plans for reopening recreational facilities

Waterloo Public Health reported three new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total number of cases in the region to 1,228.

At the same time, it also reported 13 more residents have been cleared of the virus, raising the total number of resolved cases in the area to 1,037.

This lifts the rolling seven-day average of new cases in Waterloo Region to 5.28.

No new deaths were reported, leaving the death toll at 115, including 95 who resided in long-term care and retirement homes.






2:14
Ontario’s long term care homes now allowing visitors under strict rules


Ontario’s long term care homes now allowing visitors under strict rules

There are now 76 active cases in the area, including 11 people who are in hospital.

Story continues below advertisement

There have now been 25,991 tests conducted in the area for the novel coronavirus, 240 more than what was reported 24 hours earlier.

Emili says there are a couple of reasons which could have led to the massive jump in testing including a reporting delay from testings sites and the new drive-thru testing centre that Grand River Hospital is operating.


READ MORE:
Will summer slow the coronavirus pandemic?

Ontario reported 178 new cases of the novel coronavirus Friday, bringing the provincial total to 33,095.

Overall, new daily infection numbers have been on the decline for Ontario. It is the sixth day in a row with new cases under 200.

The death toll in the province has risen to 2,564, as 11 more deaths were reported.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 deaths take a long-expected turn for the worse – FOX 11 Los Angeles

Published

on


A long-expected upturn in U.S. coronavirus deaths has begun, driven by fatalities in states in the South and West, according to data on the pandemic.

The number of deaths per day from the virus had been falling for months, and even remained down as states like Florida and Texas saw explosions in cases and hospitalizations — and reported daily U.S. infections broke records several times in recent days.

Scientists warned it wouldn’t last. A coronavirus death, when it occurs, typically comes several weeks after a person is first infected. And experts predicted states that saw increases in cases and hospitalizations would, at some point, see deaths rise too. Now that’s happening.

“It’s consistently picking up. And it’s picking up at the time you’d expect it to,” said William Hanage, a Harvard University infectious diseases researcher.

RELATED: Atlanta Public Schools still planning for football, despite plan for virtual classes

According to an Associated Press analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University, the seven-day rolling average for daily reported deaths in the U.S. has increased from 578 two weeks ago to 664 on July 10 — still well below the heights hit in April. Daily reported deaths increased in 27 states over that time period, but the majority of those states are averaging under 15 new deaths per day. A smaller group of states has been driving the nationwide increase in deaths.

California is averaging 91 reported deaths per day while Texas is close behind with 66, but Florida, Arizona, Illinois, New Jersey and South Carolina also saw sizable rises. New Jersey’s recent jump is thought to be partially attributable to its less frequent reporting of probable deaths.

The impact has already been felt by families who lost kin — and by the health care workers who tried to save them.

Rublas Ruiz, a Miami intensive care unit nurse, recently broke down in tears during a birthday dinner with his wife and daughter. He said he was overcome by the number of patients who have died in his care.

“I counted like 10 patients in less than four days in our ICU and then I stopped doing that because there were so many,” said the 41-year-old nurse at Kendall Regional Medical Center who lost another patient Monday.

The virus has killed more than 130,000 people in the U.S. and more than a half-million worldwide, according to Johns Hopkins University, though the true numbers are believed to be higher.

Deaths first began mounting in the U.S. in March. About two dozen deaths were being reported daily in the middle of that month. By late in the month, hundreds were being reported each day, and in April thousands. Most happened in New York, New Jersey and elsewhere in the Northeast.

Deaths were so high there because it was a new virus tearing through a densely populated area, and it quickly swept through vulnerable groups of people in nursing homes and other places, said Perry Halkitis, the dean of the Rutgers University School of Public Health in New Jersey.

Many of the infections occurred before government officials imposed stay-at-home orders and other social-distancing measures. The daily death toll started falling in mid-April — and continued to fall until about a week ago.

RELATED: Coronavirus outbreak at University in California linked to fraternity parties

Researchers now expect deaths to rise for at least some weeks, but some think the count probably will not go up as dramatically as it did in the spring — for several reasons.

First, testing was extremely limited early in the pandemic, and it’s become clear that unrecognized infections were spreading on subways, in nursing homes and in other public places before anyone knew exactly what was going on. Now testing is more widespread, and the magnitude of outbreaks is becoming better understood.

Second, many people’s health behaviors have changed, with mask-wearing becoming more common in some places. Although there is no vaccine yet, hospitals are also getting better at treating patients.

Another factor, tragically, is that deadly new viruses often tear through vulnerable populations first, such as the elderly and people already weakened by other health conditions. That means that, in the Northeast at least, “many of the vulnerable people have already died,” Halkitis said.

Now, the U.S. is likely in for “a much longer, slower burn,” Hanage, the Harvard researcher, said. “We’re not going to see as many deaths (as in the spring). But we’re going to see a total number of deaths, which is going to be large.”

In other virus-related developments:

— Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are reopening Saturday; Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios will follow four days later. The move comes as there has been a surge in the number of Floridians testing positive for the coronavirus and the state set a record of nearly 500 confirmed deaths in a week.

— The number of New Yorkers hospitalized with the coronavirus — 799 — has fallen to the lowest point since March 18. But Gov. Andrew Cuomo fears a resurgence in cases is inevitable amid outbreaks in other states.

Kristin Urquiza is worried things may get dramatically worse soon in at least some American cities, like Phoenix, where her 65-year-old father died recently.

When the dangers of the virus first became known, Mark Anthony Urquiza, a quality assurance inspector, took precautions such as wearing a face mask and staying home as much as possible, his daughter said.

But that changed after Gov. Doug Ducey ended Arizona’s stay-at-home order on May 15, eased restrictions on businesses, and initially blocked local lawmakers from requiring residents to wear masks.

By June 11, the elder Urquiza had developed a fever and cough. He was hospitalized and eventually placed on a ventilator. He died June 30.

“His life was robbed. I believe that terrible leadership and flawed policies put my father’s life in the balance,” Kristin Urquiza said in an interview with The Associated Press.

RELATED: President Trump wears mask in public for first time during pandemic

Ducey, a Republican, has more recently changed direction, closing many businesses and allowing mayors to make mask-wearing mandatory.

But Kristin Urquiza is worried. Her father received the care at a time when beds in intensive care units were readily available. Now some Arizona ICUs are becoming swamped.

“Other families are not going to be reassured the hospitals will have the capacity to give (coronavirus) victims the dignity and the health care that they deserve. And that breaks my heart,” she said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Interior Health identifies more potential COVID-19 exposure locations in Kelowna – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Interior Health, after further testing of individuals, has identified additional Kelowna locations where people may have been exposed to COVID-19 between June 25 and July 6.

Individuals who visited the following locations on the dates noted are asked to self-monitor themselves closely for symptoms of COVID-19 and get tested if they have those symptoms:

* Cactus Club, #1-1370 Water St., from July 3-6.
* Pace Spin Studio, #5-1717 Harvey Ave, Kelowna from July 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9.

Interior Health is also reminding individuals who attended gatherings at the following locations on the dates noted to self-isolate and monitor themselves closely for symptoms:

* Discovery Bay Resort (1088 Sunset Dr., Kelowna) from July 1 to 5.
* Boyce Gyro Beach Lodge (3519 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna) on July 1.

Story continues below advertisement

IH says public health contact tracing is under way, and where possible, health officials are reaching out directly to exposed individuals.

Anyone who participated in events in the Kelowna downtown and waterfront area between June 25 and July 6 is asked to monitor closely for symptoms of COVID-19 and get tested if they develop symptoms.

Individuals seeking a test should call their primary care provider, family physician, nurse practitioner or the closest Interior Health community testing and assessment centre.

Testing is recommended for anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, or loss of sense of taste or smell.

Other milder symptoms may include runny nose, fatigue, body aches (muscles and joints aching), diarrhea, headache, sore throat, vomiting and red eyes.

IH reminds everyone of the importance of following COVID-19 precautions:

* Stay home and avoid travel if you have symptoms, even mild ones.
* Maintain physical distancing (two metres apart) and use masks when distancing is not possible.
* Wash your hands regularly and do not touch your face.
* Do not plan or attend gatherings of more than 50 people. Limit gatherings to out of doors whenever possible.

For answers to frequently asked questions, you can go to the Interior Health public website https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/frequently-asked-questions/

Story continues below advertisement

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Interior Health provides two more COVID-19 exposure locations – Kelowna News – Castanet.net

Published

on


Interior Health (IH) has provided another two specific Kelowna locations where individuals may have been exposed to COVID-19 between June 25 and July 6, following the recent increase in local cases.  

Individuals who visited the following locations on the dates below may have been exposed to the virus: 

  • Cactus Club, 1370 Water St., from July 3-6
  • PACE Spin Studio, 1717 Harvey Ave., on July 2, 4-5 and 7-9 

IH is requesting those individuals closely self-monitor for virus symptoms and get tested if any symptoms show.

On Saturday, IH announced residents who visited Discovery Bay Resort from July 1-5 or Boyce Gyro Beach Lodge on July 1 may have come in contact with COVID-19. IH directed individuals who attended gatherings at Discovery Bay Resort or Boyce Gyro Beach Lodge on those dates to self-isolate and monitor themselves closely for symptoms. 

Castanet understands the individual/s who visited Discovery Bay Resort were not staying at the resort, but visiting a specific unit thought to have been on the second floor of the South building. 

In response, the resort has closed the pools until further guidance is obtained by IH and increased cleaning and sanitization practices.

IH confirmed public health contact tracing is underway, and individuals who may have been exposed are being contacted directly where possible. 

Testing is recommended for anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including:

  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Loss of sense of taste or smell
  • Other milder symptoms may include: runny nose, fatigue, body aches (muscles and joints aching), diarrhea, headache, sore throat, vomiting and red eyes.

IH reminds everyone of the importance of following COVID-19 precautions:

  • Stay home and avoid travel if you have symptoms, even mild ones.
  • Maintain physical distancing (two metres apart) and use masks when distancing is not possible.
  • Wash your hands regularly and do not touch your face.
  • Do not plan or attend gatherings of more than 50 people. Limit gatherings to out of doors whenever possible.

For more information, visit the website

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending