“Now, I can really understand and support the seriousness of just staying home, and not spreading this.
“It truly affects every person differently, and I consider myself to be very lucky to have it only last a couple of weeks, and some people it’s very mild, and some people die. You just don’t know, it’s literally a roll of the dice.
“So, if anything I can just say please stay home.
“I’ve done it. It’s like 22 days now, and I’m actually cool. It’s all good.”
New Brunswick doctor says he does not know where he picked up COVID-19 – OHS Canada
FREDERICTON — A New Brunswick doctor blamed by many, including the premier, for spreading COVID-19 in a growing cluster of new cases told Radio-Canada on Tuesday that he’s not sure how he picked up the virus.
Dr. Jean Robert Ngola said he recently travelled from Campbellton, N.B., to Quebec to pick up his four-year-old daughter because the girl’s mother had to attend a funeral in Africa.
Ngola admitted that upon his return from the overnight trip, he did not self-isolate for 14 days, but added he does not know if he caught the coronavirus on his travels or from a patient.
“Perhaps it was an error in judgment, but I did not go to Quebec to go to take the virus and come to give it to my patients,” Ngola told morning show La Matinale.
There are 13 active COVID-19 cases in the province that had just weeks ago seen all of its coronavirus cases recovered.
On Tuesday, the Public Health Department reported another COVID-19 case in an outbreak at Manoir de la Vallee, a care home in Altholville in the northern part of the province.
All of New Brunswick’s active cases are in the health region known as Zone 5, and all have been linked to a cluster in the Campbellton area.
Officials, including Premier Blaine Higgs, have said the cluster began when a health-care worker travelled to Quebec and returned to work at Campbellton Regional Hospital without self-isolating.
But Ngola told La Matinale that his COVID-19 diagnosis threw him, and he’s not sure how he was exposed. His daughter tested positive as well and both have been in quarantine since, but neither have had any symptoms.
Doctor has faced racist attacks
The doctor, who is of Congolese descent, said he has been the victim of racist attacks online since public attention was directed to his case. His name and photo were shared on social media with racist comments describing him as “the bad doctor who went to get the virus to kill people here.”
Ngola told the radio program he took precautions when travelling and did not stop en route.
He continued working upon his return to Campbellton and left his daughter in the care of an essential service workers’ daycare centre.
On May 25, he was told that one of his patients had tested positive for COVID-19. He called the man, whom he’d seen May 19 for a prescription renewal, and stopped working right away.
Ngola said as a patient, he also has the right to confidentiality.
The Campbellton COVID-19 cluster has led to increased testing in the region, where the Vitalite health authority offered tests to anyone who asked from Friday through Sunday.
More than 3,300 were completed over the weekend and Zone 5 has moved back a step in the province’s reopening plan.
A Tuesday news release from the province’s Public Health Department said the newest positive case is a person their 80s linked to Manoir de la Vallee, where a worker tested positive last week.
Five residents have now tested positive for the virus and the regional director for Lokia Group, the company that owns the home, said Monday that two had been hospitalized.
The province said Tuesday that five people are in the hospital due to COVID-19, including one person in intensive care.
Chief doctor pleads for patience
Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, said in a statement that New Brunswickers should be patient as the province monitors the outbreak.
“We have 14 days ahead of us to see how things unfold,” Russell’s statement read. “In the meantime, I ask New Brunswickers to continue to demonstrate their compassion, kindness and patience throughout the province.”
At a news conference last week, Premier Blaine Higgs did not refer to Dr. Ngola by name, but criticized him as “irresponsible” and said the matter had been referred to the RCMP, potentially leading to charges for violating public health orders.
Days later, Higgs walked back his remarks slightly and appeared to acknowledge the outrage, telling people to leave investigation into any wrongdoing up to law enforcement and the person’s employer.
“I know people are upset, but we don’t want anyone taking matters into their own hands,” he said.
Campbellton Mayor Stephanie Anglehart-Paulin told The Canadian Press on Saturday that she was embarrassed by many of the comments on social media directed at the doctor, which she described as “pretty hateful and nasty.”
By Holly McKenzie-Sutter in St. John’s, N.L., with files from Sidhartha Banerjee in Montreal
Hydroxychloroquine fails to prevent COVID-19 in those at high risk, trial shows – CBC.ca
The drug hydroxychloroquine, which has been the subject of heated debate as a potential treatment for COVID-19, was not effective in preventing the disease in Canadians and Americans at high risk, according to the first gold standard clinical trial.
In Wednesday’s issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, medical researchers reported on testing the use of hydroxychloroquine in 821 adults throughout the U.S. and in Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta. The participants did not have symptoms but were exposed to someone with confirmed COVI9-19 in a health-care or household setting.
Hydroxychloroquine is often used to treat autoimmune diseases such as lupus. U.S. President Donald Trump said he’s taken hydroxychloroquine, although he’s not tested positive for the coronavirus infection. No studies have proven this drug or any others are effective against COVID-19.
The exposures were all considered high risk, because the participants were less than two meters away from a confirmed case for more than 10 minutes without wearing a mask or face shield. The goal of the randomized trial was to see if hydroxychloroquine could prevent symptoms of infection, known as postexposure prophylaxis, compared with taking a sugar pill.
“In this trial, high doses of hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness compatible with COVID-19 when initiated within four days after a high-risk or moderate-risk exposure,” the study’s authors wrote.
Gold standard method
Dr. Emily McDonald, a physician at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, co-authored the randomized control trial in which half of participants were randomly assigned to the drug and half to the placebo without investigators knowing to avoid bias in interpreting any symptoms or their resolution.
McDonald called it the gold standard method to have the best evidence to support how to prevent spread of COVID-19.
“When we politicize the drug and we stop studies early for reasons that are perhaps not entirely valid, we risk never answering the question properly because the enrolment for the studies drops off,” McDonald said.
“There are also hundreds of patients that have contributed their data to randomized trials because they also felt a responsibility to help the scientific community answer this question.”
Overall, 107 of 821 of participants developed COVID-19 based on a swab or compatible symptoms during 14 days of followup.
No deaths occurred
Of those who received hydroxychloroquine, investigators said 49 developed the disease compared with 58 in the placebo group, a difference that could simply be random.
Two patients were hospitalized, one in each group. No deaths occurred.
Medication side-effects such as nausea and abdominal discomfort were more common for patients taking hydroxychloroquine compared to placebo (40 per cent versus 17 per cent), but no serious treatment-related adverse reactions were reported, including any heart arrhythmia.
Earlier on Wednesday, the World Health Organization announced it was resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm of its Solidarity trial into potential treatments for COVID-19 following a pause to check for any potential safety concerns such as heart problems.
The Solidarity trial includes participants and researchers in Canada.
Previous studies of hydroxychloroquine were observational in design, which greatly increases the potential for bias when managing patients compared with a well conducted, randomized clinical trial.
2 new cases of COVID-19, bringing total long-term care residents infected to 5 – CBC.ca
There are two new cases of COVID-19 in the province, both related to a recent outbreak in the Campbellton region.
There are now 15 active cases of COVID-19, all in Zone 5, which has been returned to the orange phase of recovery while restrictions remain eased in the rest of the province.
The new cases are an individual between 40 and 49 years of age, and an individual between 60 and 69 years of age.
A provincial press release said one of the two new cases is linked to a close contact of a previously identified case, and the other one is linked to Manoir de la Vallée, a long-term care facility in Atholville.
Social Development Minister Dorothy Shephard said in total, the facility has three staff and five residents test positive.
There are five people in hospital and one in the intensive care unit, the release said.
Three of the hospitalized people are residents of the long-term care home, Shephard said, including the ICU patient.
“To the best of my knowledge I can tell you that [their condition] is stable,” Shephard said.
All of the cases are isolated in the memory care wing of the facility, Shephard said.
“This memory care wing would have doors, like locked doors,” shes said. “We can’t say 100 per cent that a patient doesn’t wander in some fashion but it’s very much minimized.”
She said all the rooms are private, but residents do share a bathroom.
“A cleaning crew has been brought on to support staff in washing down washrooms three times a day at a minimum,” she said.
Two of the positive residents are still in the wing in Atholville she said, and the staff members are isolating in their homes.
She said administrators are in contact with family members on a daily basis. She said she’s sure residents and families are worried.
“But I’m sure that staff is doing everything they can to give them assurances that every precaution is being taken to protect them.”
The release said a Quebec resident has also tested positive, and is also linked to the facility, but the case will be counted as part of Quebec’s statistics.
Public Health has previously linked the outbreak to a doctor who travelled to Quebec and didn’t self-isolate for the mandatory 14 days when he returned.
The province has conducted 31,791 tests in total, including 1,125 in the last 24 hours.
What to do if you have symptoms?
The province says if you or a member of your family are showing two of the following symptoms, contact Tele-Care 811 or your primary health-care provider:
- Fever above 38°C or signs of fever (such as chills).
- A new cough or worsening chronic cough.
- Sore throat.
- Runny nose.
- A new onset of fatigue.
- A new onset of muscle pain.
- Loss of sense of taste or loss of sense of smell.
- In children, purple markings on the fingers or toes. In this instance, testing will be done even if none of the other symptoms are present.
Watch what you say about COVID-19 on social media, Quebec College of Physicians warns its members – CTV News Montreal
Eighth Seed Needs To Be Beaten Twice In Play-In Tournament – RealGM.com
New Brunswick doctor says he does not know where he picked up COVID-19 – OHS Canada
- Health20 hours ago
New Brunswick reports one new case of COVID-19 at nursing home as tests and calls to 811 spike – CTV News
- Business23 hours ago
Telus skips Huawei, picks Ericsson and Nokia to build 5G network – Vancouver Sun
- Sports19 hours ago
NBA Projects 2020 Finals To Be Completed By October 12th – RealGM.com
- Science23 hours ago
Precision Biomonitoring Receives Funding to Manufacture TripleLock™ SARS CoV-2 Go-Strips – Canada NewsWire
- Science21 hours ago
Rare dinosaur stomach fossil unearthed at Alberta oilsands site opens door to ancient world – Globalnews.ca
- Tech21 hours ago
Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14 Might Include Built-In Translator, Full Apple Pencil Support – MacRumors
- Sports20 hours ago
Former tennis star James Blake still shaken by encounter with cop in 2015 – The Globe and Mail
- Investment23 hours ago
IGM Financial Inc. Announces May 2020 Investment Fund Sales and Total Assets Under Management and IG Wealth Management Assets Under Administration and Client Net Flows – Canada NewsWire