Novaya Gazeta, one of Russia’s few remaining independent news outlets, was stripped of its media licence on Monday, and in effect banned from operating.
The country’s media watchdog, Rozkomnadzor, had accused it of failing to provide documents related to a change of ownership in 2006.
Speaking outside court, editor in chief Dmitry Muratov, a Nobel Peace laureate for his efforts to uphold critical news reporting in Russia, said the ruling was “a political hit job, without the slightest legal basis.” He said the paper would appeal.
In a statement, Novaya Gazeta said the decision by Moscow’s Basmanny District Court, which often handles politically charged cases, had “killed the newspaper, stolen 30 years of life from its workers, and deprived readers of the right to information.”
The United Nations Human Rights office called the judgment “yet another blow to the independence of Russian media,” and urged Moscow to protect media freedom.
Novaya Gazeta has been a stalwart of Russia’s media scene since its foundation in 1993 with money from the Nobel Peace Prize of late Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. It had carved out a niche as Russia’s leading investigative news outlet, even as media freedoms were gradually rolled back.
In March, it suspended operations in Russia after being cautioned for violating new laws imposing strict censorship on coverage of the conflict in Ukraine.
Staff have since set up a new spinoff online outlet in Europe, whose publications have also been blocked in Russia.
Muratov himself remains in Russia, and on Saturday led the funeral procession of Gorbachev, his financial backer and friend.
Communications and Social Media Specialist – Quill & Quire
Orca Book Publishers
Published: September 23, 2022
Orca Book Publishers is a successful, growing, independent Canadian children’s book publisher. With over 1200 active titles in print and digital formats and 90 new titles/year, we have a vibrant, well-respected publishing program. We are looking for a professional, motivated person to join our marketing team. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for books, strong organizational skills and a willingness to work with an amazing team. Our preference is for someone who can work in in our office in Victoria, BC, although we will consider an applicant from outside of Victoria.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Overview: Promote Orca titles, authors and brand online through a cohesive and organized presence across newsletters, social media platforms and blog. Create and manage campaigns collaboratively with the marketing and sales teams, including writing online and print copy for a variety of audiences.
- Manage a comprehensive newsletter schedule with multiple content creators and audiences, such as authors, booksellers, teachers, librarians and wholesalers.
- Write and lay out newsletter content in collaboration with the marketing and sales teams. Deploy and track newsletters according to the schedule.
- Create and schedule for Orca’s social media accounts, including maintaining a calendar of all posts and ongoing campaigns.
- Monitor social media channels to engage with the public and respond to questions. Support our authors’ social media presences and promote their events.
- Seek out ways to optimize our online engagement via creative content, targeted ads and industry partnerships. Administer a monthly social media advertising budget. Build and maintain a list of influencer contacts.
- Provide regular reporting and analysis on social media and newsletter campaigns.
- Work with the design team to create assets for newsletters, social media and other marketing promotional materials.
- Craft and revise press releases, pitches, letters, taglines and other marketing copy as needed, including working on metadata and book cover copy.
- Maintain a list of media contacts and disseminate press releases.
- Oversee the Orca blog: create content, write posts, interview authors and promote on social media.
- Produce and edit promotional video content: author interviews, book trailers and other videos as needed. Manage Orca’s YouTube channel.
- Attend and assist in the execution of local Orca events.
- Background and education in Writing, Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing and/or Publishing. Publicity experience is an asset.
- Exceptional writing skills; ability to modify writing tone to the audience. Copyediting and proofreading skills are an asset.
- Expert knowledge of contemporary social media, especially Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Ability to understand the different audiences for each. Experience with social media advertising is a plus.
- Highly efficient and organized; proven leadership and project-tracking skills along with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work across many projects at once.
- Keen interest in the Canadian children’s book publishing industry.
- Ability to work independently, with excellent time-management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with a team and contribute to a supportive environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Google Drive and other general office software.
- Experience with project management software like Asana, social media management software like Hootsuite, or email programs like Constant Contact or MailChimp is an asset.
- Understanding of basic design principles with an eye for beautiful, effective and eye-catching design. Ability to create visual content for social media using software like Canva is an asset.
- Enjoy working with people and other animals in an office environment.
Orca Book Publishers is an inclusive employer with a passion for books that matter. We are strongly committed to diversity within our community and especially welcome applicants who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We are also committed to ensuring that young readers see themselves reflected in the books they read. We aim to produce books that illuminate the experiences of people of all ethnicities, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQ+. We have a particular interest in publishing books that celebrate the lives of Indigenous people. Our fiction includes characters from diverse backgrounds and unique family structures, and our global nonfiction celebrates the variety of ways people live and educates readers about important issues. Providing young people with exposure to diversity and the opportunity for social change through reading creates a more compassionate world. We encourage applicants to learn more about us at www.orcabook.com.
We strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send resume and cover letter by October 7, 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all who apply; only those candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted.
Which team may surprise people in the NCHC, key takeaways from media day, key conference players to watch – The Rink Live
Now that the dust has settled from NCHC Media Day, The Rink Live takes an in depth look at the conference with its podcast with reporters Matt Wellens, Brad Schlossman, Jess Myers, Mick Hatten and Joe Paisley. Wellens covers Minnesota Duluth hockey, Schlossman covers the University of North Dakota, Paisley covers Colorado College and Myers interviewed two representatives from every NCHC team at media day. The group covered a variety of topics including their big takeaways from media day, which team may surprise some people in the conference race, key players throughout the league and more on this episode of The Rink Live podcast.
Biggest takeaways from Media Day:
2:30 Mick Hatten: The big turnover in personnel within the league
3:40 Brad Schlossman: Key items in commissioner Heather Weems’ address to the media
5:00 Matt Wellens: Key items in commissioner Heather Weems’ address to the media, how the conference looked at other online streaming platforms
7:10 Jess Myers: How financially sound the conference is and why, Brad on how the NCHC absorbed the pandemic
10:10 Joe Paisley: The benefits of being a single-sport league, one year of operating budget in the bank
Biggest impact players on the team you cover:
12:15 Brad Schlossman: North Dakota’s Riese Gaber
13:35 Joe Paisley: Colorado College’s Kaidan Mbereko, Brett Chorske, Gleb Veremyev, Cade Ahrenholz and Hunter McKown
15:24 Mick Hatten: SCSU’s top line of Jami Krannila, Zach Okabe and Veeti Miettinen, D Jack Peart
17:25 Matt Wellens: UMD’s Blake Biondi, Dominic James, Derek Daschke
20:15 Miami’s good power play in a tough season in 2021-22
22:25 Jess Myers transfers: North Dakota goalie Drew DeRidder, Denver forward Tristan Broz
24:10 Mick Hatten: Western Michigan F Jack Perbix
25:15 Brad Schlossman: Omaha’s Tyler Weiss, Joaquim Lemay, Jacob Guevin; Western Michigan’s Carter Berger, Zak Galambos
Brad Schlossman Memorial Question: Who will be this season’s NCHC surprise team?
28:00 Why St. Cloud State is a team to watch
35:50 Why Colorado College is a team to watch
3 Burning questions for Milwaukee Bucks media day – Behind the Buck Pass
It has been reported by Marc Stein that the Milwaukee Bucks will hold their media day this Sunday, one day after the Milwaukee Bucks are allowed to begin training camp to begin their preparations for their games in Abu Dhabi against the Atlanta Hawks. Sunday may be the day we get a formal introduction of DeMarre Carroll to the coaching staff.
We have some questions that we hope can be answered by Jon Horst, Mike Budenholzer and potentially the players involved about the upcoming 2022-23 NBA season.
Burning questions for Milwaukee Bucks media day: What is the plan with Jordan Nwora?
We looked at this situation recently and it is very confusing wondering why there hasn’t been any action on this front. Why hasn’t there been a report on whether or not Jordan Nwora will accept his qualifying offer, an offer that was extended to him months ago?
This will certainly be a question that can only be answered by General Manager Jon Horst or by Jordan Nwora himself. However, with October 1st being just over a week away and that being the deadline (unless the Bucks file for an extension) for the qualifying offer the Milwaukee Bucks extended to Nwora to expire, we should expect answers soon.
The Milwaukee Bucks have been active in making calls on players potentially available for trade, having been confirmed to have checked in on Kevin Durant and Jordan Clarkson. While neither of those players have been traded, having a $2 million salary available to add to a deal could certainly help balance out salaries. Asking Jon Horst about the Bucks being active in any ongoing trade talks could also certainly be another burning question for Sunday.
Woven Woods Just One Stop on Weekend's Apples & Art Studio Tour – Cornwall Seaway News
Hilary Mantel's Art Was Infused With Her Pain – The Atlantic
Hong Kong Billionaire’s K. Wah Wins Shanghai Real Estate Bid, Sees “Excellent” Opportunity – Forbes
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
News17 hours ago
India warns citizens in Canada about safety – CTV News
Sports16 hours ago
Rejuvenated Hoglander opening eyes at Canucks camp: 'He looks so much faster' – Sportsnet.ca
Health21 hours ago
COVID-19 Outbreak Declared at Southbridge Pinewood – Hummingbird – Thunder Bay District Health Unit
Politics17 hours ago
Equilibrium/Sustainability — Oil’s diversity push crashes into abortion politics – The Hill
Politics18 hours ago
Is Beacon Hill a political 'safe space'? – GBH News
Health20 hours ago
Health Matters: COVID-19 patients developing autoimmune diseases – Global News
Sports15 hours ago
Homan eliminated at PointsBet Invitational after losing draw to the button – TSN
Tech18 hours ago
AirPods 3 vs. AirPods Pro 2 Buyer's Guide – MacRumors