Connect with us

Health

COVID-19 live updates: Starting Monday, Canadians arriving at land borders will require negative test – Montreal Gazette

Published

 on


Article content continued

And he said the situation in Quebec has not improved in the second wave, with numbers that “are really worrying.”

“When you look at the statistics for the second wave, well, from Sept. 1 to Jan. 23, it still far exceeds the other provinces in terms of deaths,” St-Pierre Plamondon said.

“I remind you that (Ontario Premier) Doug Ford – with figures which are almost three times lower in terms of deaths than in Quebec – formally said that he deplored the situation, that it was not acceptable, and that therefore, he was launching an independent investigation.

“Not an investigation that he controls, not an investigation in which he will be able to tamper with the conclusions, (but) a completely independent investigation to shed light on a management that he considers faulty, unacceptable.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Mass COVID-19 vaccinations to begin in Montreal as province ramps up effort – The Record (New Westminster)

Published

 on


MONTREAL — Quebec’s mass vaccination campaign gets underway in earnest in the Montreal area today as the province begins inoculating members of the general public.

The province announced last week that it was booking appointments for seniors age 85 and up across the province, or 80 and above in Montreal.

Quebec began accepting appointments last Thursday, with nearly 100,000 booked on Day One of the campaign.

Some regions started vaccinating members of the general population late last week, but the campaign is expected to speed up considerably with the opening of mass vaccine clinics in the Montreal area, including one at the Olympic Stadium.

Outlying regions are mainly expected to ramp up after the March break holiday, which gets underway today.

Quebec has so far concentrated its vaccination effort on health care workers, people living in remote regions and seniors in closed environments such as long-term care and private seniors residences.

The province has chosen to delay giving second doses in favour of administering a first jab to as many people as possible, but the province’s health minister said last week it will dole out second doses beginning March 15.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault said Saturday that the start of the mass vaccination campaign was giving him “a lot of hope,” even as he expressed concern about spring break week and the spread of new virus variants.

In a Facebook message, he urged Quebecers to remain vigilant for the coming weeks to allow the province to vaccinate more people, and to wait for immunity to fully develop in those who have received a shot. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 1, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

20 additional deaths reported as Ontario surpasses 300K COVID-19 cases – Breakfast Television Toronto

Published

 on


20 additional deaths reported as Ontario surpasses 300K COVID-19 cases

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Mar 1st, 2021

Ontario reported 1,062 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday as the province passed a sobering milestone.

It’s the fifth straight day more than 1,000 new infections were confirmed, bringing the provincial total to 300,816 since the pandemic began.

The seven-day rolling average of new cases sits at 1,104, which is an increase from 1,031 last Sunday.

Toronto reported 259 new cases while Peel Region added 201 new infections to its total. York Region reported just 86 new cases – the fewest number of new cases since moving into the Red-Control zone last week.

An additional 23 variants of concern were also confirmed in the province with 528 cases of the variant first discovered in the UK. There are 27 variant strains of the virus first confirmed in South African and just three of the variant first discovered in Brazil. The total number of new variants of concern increased by 158 over the last seven days.

Another 20 people have died as a result of COVID-19, none involving residents in a long-term care setting, leaving the provincial death just shy of 7,000.

Provincial officials processed 49,185 tests in the last 24 hour period with more than 18,000 samples remaining to be confirmed.

Another 19,167 vaccines were administered on Saturday, bringing the provincial total up to 687,271. Just over 260,000 Ontarians have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

While the number of hospitalizations fell to 627, likely due to the lack of full reporting from hospitals on the weekend, the number of COVID-19 patients in the ICU rose to 289 while those on ventilators also increased to 185.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Mass COVID-19 vaccinations to begin in Montreal as province ramps up effort – WellandTribune.ca

Published

 on


MONTREAL – Quebec’s mass vaccination campaign gets underway in earnest in the Montreal area today as the province begins inoculating members of the general public.

The province announced last week that it was booking appointments for seniors age 85 and up across the province, or 80 and above in Montreal.

Quebec began accepting appointments last Thursday, with nearly 100,000 booked on Day One of the campaign.

Some regions started vaccinating members of the general population late last week, but the campaign is expected to speed up considerably with the opening of mass vaccine clinics in the Montreal area, including one at the Olympic Stadium.

Outlying regions are mainly expected to ramp up after the March break holiday, which gets underway today.

Quebec has so far concentrated its vaccination effort on health care workers, people living in remote regions and seniors in closed environments such as long-term care and private seniors residences.

The province has chosen to delay giving second doses in favour of administering a first jab to as many people as possible, but the province’s health minister said last week it will dole out second doses beginning March 15.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault said Saturday that the start of the mass vaccination campaign was giving him “a lot of hope,” even as he expressed concern about spring break week and the spread of new virus variants.

In a Facebook message, he urged Quebecers to remain vigilant for the coming weeks to allow the province to vaccinate more people, and to wait for immunity to fully develop in those who have received a shot.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 1, 2021.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending