Connect with us

Business

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine gets Health Canada approval for kids 12+ – Global News

Published

 on


As the Delta variant rages through unvaccinated populations in Canada ahead of the back-to-school season, children aged 12 and up will now be able to get the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

Health Canada authorized the use of the highly effective mRNA vaccine for Canadian children between the ages of 12 and 17 on Friday morning.

The vaccine had only been available to those over the age of 18 so far, though the Pfizer mRNA vaccine was authorized for kids over the age of 12 back in May 2021.

In a series of tweets, the public health agency and the regulatory body said officials had reviewed the evidence submitted by Moderna for expanded authorization and found the vaccine is “safe and effective” at preventing COVID-19 in children aged 12 and up.

“Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada will continue to closely monitor the safety of this vaccine, and will take action if any safety concerns are identified,” said the agencies in a tweet.

The National Advisory Council on Immunization issued its recommendations on the best practices for vaccinating young Canadians with the Moderna vaccine, noting doses should be given four weeks apart compared to the recommended three-week interval between Pfizer doses.

Each dose of the Moderna vaccine contains 100 micrograms compared to 30 micrograms in each dose of Pfizer.

NACI wrote that as vaccination continues to rise among the eligible adult population and the highly contagious Delta variant fuels the fourth wave, the burden of infection is shifting to younger Canadians.

“The Moderna COVID-19 vaccine was well tolerated in adolescents 12 to 17 years of age,” said the advisory council on Friday.

“The benefits of immunization with an mRNA vaccine for protection against COVID-19 infection and its potential complications outweigh any potential risks.”

The advisory council added that anyone who gets vaccinated and has symptoms of chest pain, shortness of breath or heart palpitations afterwards should seek medical attention, due to the rare risk of myocarditis and/or pericarditis.

READ MORE: COVID-19 is surging in American kids. Here’s what Canadian parents need to know

As of Aug. 27, 52,859,429 doses of COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Canada have been injected into arms, with the majority of those being doses of either Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines.

The vaccines have an efficacy rate of roughly 94 to 96 per cent and so far, only a small percentage of the people infected with COVID-19 have been what are known as “breakthrough” cases, or confirmed infections in fully vaccinated individuals.

The overwhelming majority of cases are in those who are unvaccinated, and people who are not vaccinated make up the clear majority of hospitalizations and deaths from COVID-19 as well.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Instagram pausing Instagram Kids, eyes changes – Business News – Castanet.net

Published

 on


Instagram is putting a hold on the development of Instagram kids, geared towards children under 13, so it can address concerns about access and content.

Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, wrote in a blog post Monday that a delay will give the company time to “work with parents, experts, policymakers and regulators, to listen to their concerns, and to demonstrate the value and importance of this project for younger teens online today.”

The announcement follows a withering series by the Wall Street Journal, which reported that Facebook was aware that the use of Instagram by some teenage girls led to mental health issues and anxiety.

Yet the development of Instagram for a younger audience was met with broader push back almost immediately.

Facebook announced the development of Instagram for kids in March, saying at the time that it was “exploring a parent-controlled experience.” The push back was almost immediate and in May, a bipartisan group of 44 attorneys general wrote to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, urging him to abandon the project, citing the well being of children.

They cited increased cyberbullying, possible vulnerability to online predators, and what they called Facebook’s “checkered record” in protecting children on its platforms. Facebook faced similar criticism in 2017 when it launched the Messenger Kids app, touted as a way for children to chat with family members and friends approved by parents.

While concerns about Instagram for kids is ongoing, Mosseri said that Instagram believes it’s better for children under 13 to have a specific platform for age-appropriate content, and that other companies like TikTok and YouTube have app versions for that age group.

“We firmly believe that it’s better for parents to have the option to give their children access to a version of Instagram that is designed for them — where parents can supervise and control their experience — than relying on an app’s ability to verify the age of kids who are too young to have an ID,” he wrote.

Mosseri said that Instagram for kids is meant for those between the ages of 10 and 12, not younger. It will require parental permission to join, be ad free, and will include age-appropriate content and features. Parents will be able to supervise the time their children spend on the app, oversee who can message them, who can follow them and who they can follow.

While work is being paused on Instagram Kids, the company will be expanding opt-in parental supervision tools to teen accounts of those 13 and older. More details on these tools will be disclosed in the coming months, Mosseri said.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Rescue efforts underway after 39 miners trapped underground in Sudbury – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


Rescue efforts are underway after 39 miners became trapped underground at Vale’s Totten mine in Sudbury, Ont., on Sunday afternoon.

On Monday afternoon, a Vale spokesperson confirmed the rescue crew had reached the miners and is starting the ascent. The company expects everyone to reach the surface by Monday night.

Read more:
Sudbury police search for suspect in hit-and-run homicide investigation

“We have learned that no one is injured, which is our number one concern,” Vale spokesperson Jeffrey Lewis said in an email.

“The miners have had and continue to have access to water, food and medicine.”

The company said the conveyance for transporting employees was taken offline following an incident in the shaft on Sunday afternoon.

It confirmed that employees will exit the mine through a secondary egress ladder system with the support of Vale’s mine rescue team.

When the incident took place, the employees underground immediately went to refuge stations as part of what Vale called its “normal procedures.”

Read more:
Updates to B.C.’s tailings code after Mount Polley disaster an improvement: auditor

“We have been in frequent communication with them since the incident,” the company said in a statement. “We are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of these employees.”

On Monday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he’s relieved to hear the miners are uninjured.

“Our thoughts are with the 39 miners trapped underground in Sudbury as rescue teams work to get them safely above ground,” Ford tweeted.

Timmins—James Bay MP Charlie Angus also said he’s praying for the safety of the mining workers.

“Let’s get everyone home,” he said.


Click to play video: 'Maintenance workers trapped in Saskatchewan potash mine rescued, are safe'



0:45
Maintenance workers trapped in Saskatchewan potash mine rescued, are safe


Maintenance workers trapped in Saskatchewan potash mine rescued, are safe – Jul 4, 2019

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Poker Pal of Evergrande Founder Heads for the Exit – Bloomberg Markets and Finance

Published

 on


Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending