Connect with us

Health

Multiple COVID cases reported in Manitoba First Nation – Winnipeg Free Press

Published

 on


The Free Press has made this story available free of charge so everyone can access trusted information on the coronavirus.

Support this work by subscribing today

LITTLE GRAND RAPIDS, Man. – A First Nation in Manitoba says it’s seen 19 people test positive for COVID-19 after they attended events at a recreation centre late last month.

The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs says the chief and council of Little Grand Rapids First Nation have directed that public gatherings are not permitted, and community residents are required to stay home.

A release from the provincial government says people in the eastern Manitoba community should only leave their homes to seek testing or medical care, or to send one person from a household for essential supplies.

People who work in essential services are able to leave their residence for work.

The province says the events at the recreation centre took place between Sept. 24 and 27, and that people from other First Nations communities were also present.

Anyone who attended the events in Little Grand Rapids on those dates is asked to contact their local nursing station or health centre.

“Provincial public health officials are working with the community and other partners to address the situation,” the release stated, noting the community has been moved to critical, or red, on its pandemic response system.

The province’s website says that means there are widespread outbreaks and new clusters that cannot be controlled through testing and contact tracing.

As part of the community’s response, non-medical masks must be worn outside the home.

Manitoba already restricts travel north of the 53rd parallel to curtail the spread of COVID-19, however the First Nation is south of the line.

The province said Sunday it recorded its 23rd death from COVID-19 — a man in his 50s in the Winnipeg health region. Thirty-six new cases were recorded Sunday, 23 of which were in the Winnipeg region.

In addition to potential exposures to COVID-19 at several Winnipeg restaurants, a billiards hall and a Hooters, public health officials also advised of a possible airline exposure on Air Canada flight 296 from Vancouver to Winnipeg on Sept. 27.

Anyone who sat in rows 27 to 31 is advised to self-isolate for 14 days following the flight and monitor for symptoms. Passengers on the flight, but not in the affected rows, should self-monitor for symptoms and self-isolate if they develop.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 4, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto declares COVID-19 outbreak among ER staff – Toronto Star

Published

 on


TORONTO – Another hospital in downtown Toronto has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 among its staff.

Unity Health says there are five active coronavirus cases among emergency room staff at St. Michael’s Hospital.

In a statement Tuesday evening, the health network says “no patient cases have been identified to date” and the risk of patient exposure is low.

However, it recommends anyone who visited the ER at St. Michael’s within the last two weeks to self-monitor.

The hospital is one of four in Toronto that have declared COVID-19 outbreaks in recent days.

The others are St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto Western Hospital and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 21, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

CDC redefines what counts as close contact for coronavirus, adds short encounters – Global News

Published

 on


U.S. health officials Wednesday redefined what counts as close contact with someone with COVID-19 to include briefer but repeated encounters.

For months, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said close contact meant spending a solid 15 minutes within six feet of someone who tested positive for coronavirus. On Wednesday, the CDC changed it to a total of 15 minutes or more — so shorter but repeated contacts that add up to 15 minutes over a 24-hour period now count.

The CDC advises anyone who has been in close contact with a COVID-19 patient to quarantine for two weeks.

Read more:
Coronavirus vaccine may not be initially recommended for kids, U.S. CDC says

The change may prompt health departments to do contact tracing in cases where an exposure might previously have been considered too brief, said Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University infectious diseases expert.

Story continues below advertisement

It also serves notice that the coronavirus can spread more easily than many people realize, he added.

The definition change was triggered by a report on that case of a 20-year-old Vermont correctional officer, who was diagnosed with a coronavirus infection in August. The guard, who wore a mask and goggles, had multiple brief encounters with six transferred prisoners before test results showed they were positive. At times, the prisoners wore masks, but there were encounters in cell doorways or in a recreational room where prisoners did not have them on, the report said.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: COVID-19 vaccine unlikely before late 2021, CDC director says'



1:43
Coronavirus: COVID-19 vaccine unlikely before late 2021, CDC director says


Coronavirus: COVID-19 vaccine unlikely before late 2021, CDC director says

An investigation that reviewed video footage concluded the guard’s brief interactions totalled 17 minutes during an 8-hour shift.

The report didn’t identify the prison but Vermont officials have said that in late July, six inmates tested positive when they arrived at the Marble Valley Correctional Facility in Rutland.

Story continues below advertisement

In a statement, CDC officials said the case highlights again the importance of wearing masks to prevent transmission, and that the agency’s guidance can change as new information comes in.

Read more:
White House blocks new coronavirus vaccine guidelines that would delay approval

“As we get more data and understand this COVID we’re going to continue to incorporate that in our recommendations,” CDC Director Robert Redfield said at a press conference in Atlanta.

The CDC also says close contact can include hugging and kissing, sharing eating or drinking utensils with someone infected, and providing home care to someone who is sick. Someone sneezing or coughing on you also counts.

The risk of spread is considered to be lower outdoors, but the CDC guidance update “makes scientific sense,” said Dr. Michael Saag, an infectious disease researcher at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

New Brunswick reports fourth COVID-19 death, 6 new cases – CTV News Atlantic

Published

 on


HALIFAX —
New Brunswick reported its fourth COVID-19-related death, as well as six new cases in the Campbellton region (Zone 5), on Wednesday.

Public Health confirms that an individual between the ages of 70 and 79 died Wednesday in Zone 5 (Campbellton region) as a result of underlying complications, including COVID-19.

“The loss of another person in our province related to COVID-19 is not news we ever want to have to share,” said New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs in a news release. “I, along with all New Brunswickers, send sincere condolences to the family and friends of this individual, as well as to everyone who continues to be impacted by the recent outbreaks.”

“I ask all New Brunswick to join me in extending our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of the deceased,” added Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health. “It has been difficult to witness the unfolding outbreak in the Campbellton-Restigouche region.”

In addition to the death, New Brunswick is reporting six new cases of COVID-19, all in the Campbellton region. The individuals are all self-isolating and the cases are under investigation.

The new cases involve:

  • One individual under the age of 19
  • One individual in their 30s
  • Two people in their 40s
  • One individual in their 50s
  • One individual in their 60s

Nine previously reported cases are now considered recovered, dropping the total number of active cases in the province to 92, with 57 of those reported in the Campbellton area (Zone 5).

CASE OUTLOOK

The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 319 and 223 cases are considered recovered, leaving 92 active cases in the province. There have been four deaths in the province.

Five patients are hospitalized, with one in an intensive care unit.

As of Tuesday, 94,322 COVID-19 tests have been conducted.

The number of cases are broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:

  • Zone 1 – Moncton region: 93 confirmed cases (33 active cases)
  • Zone 2 – Saint John region: 32 confirmed cases (1 active case)
  • Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 60 confirmed cases (1 active case)
  • Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
  • Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 120 confirmed cases (57 active cases)
  • Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 3 confirmed cases
  • Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 3 confirmed cases

SECOND CASE CONFIRMED AT DALHOUSIE SCHOOL

Dalhousie Regional High School is reporting its second positive case of COVID-19 in just over a week. 

The school confirmed the case in a letter to parents on Tuesday. 

The case is not connected to the first positive case at the school, which was first confirmed on Oct. 12.

ZONE 1 AND ZONE 5 REMAIN IN ORANGE PHASE

Both Zone 1 (Moncton region) and Zone 5 in New Brunswick remained in the orange phase Wednesday, but it is anticipated that Zone 1 will return to the yellow phase this week.

There are 33 active cases in Zone 1, but Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, has said the novel coronavirus appears to be contained, and, if current trends continue, the Moncton region will return to the yellow phase this Friday. 

Zone 5 will remain at the orange level, however. 

VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION

New Brunswick’s online dashboard includes information about vehicle traffic attempting to enter the province.

On Tuesday, 1,807 personal and 1,530 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province.

Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 29 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 0.9 per cent.  

This is a developing story, more to come.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending