Connect with us

News

Passengers with COVID-19 keep arriving in Canada on international flights – CTV Toronto

Published

on


TORONTO —
Eighteen flights arriving in Canada from international destinations since the start of August have had people on board with COVID-19.

According to the federal government, the flights landed in Canada between Aug. 1 and Aug. 4. They all had passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Canada. 

Eight of the flights arrived in Toronto, while seven landed in Montreal, one in Vancouver and one in Calgary. 

The government is still advising Canadians against non-essential international travel but for those who do, it is mandatory to self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of whether or not they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. 

Passengers are not notified directly by federal public health authorities to get tested, though the government acknowledges those onboard affected flights “may have been exposed to COVID-19.”

Speaking to CTVNews.ca last month, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said that anyone concerned they may have been exposed to the disease should contact their doctor. 

“However, it is important to understand the incidence of individuals contracting a communicable disease inflight is very low. As evidence, consider what are called ‘cluster outbreaks,’ where a group of people contract a disease at the same time and location. These are rarely if ever tied to modes of travel, whereas you often see reports of outbreaks arising from funerals, bars or other gatherings,” Fitzpatrick said. 

An Air Canada fact sheet says, “the reasons for the apparently low rate of in-flight transmission are not fully determined but are thought to include a combination of the lack of face-to-face contact, and the physical barriers provided by seat backs, along with the characteristics of cabin air flow.”

Pre-flight screening, temperature monitoring and mandatory face coverings are “also seen to be effective.”

Both WestJet and Air Canada, two of the biggest airlines in North America, began selling their middle seats again on July 1 after months where the option was removed to aid in physical distancing.

The international flights since Aug. 1 with COVID-19 cases include:

  • Air Transat flight TS831 from Punta Cana to Toronto on Aug. 1
  • United Airlines flight UA375 from San Francisco to Vancouver on Aug. 1 
  • Air Transat flight TS893 from Cancun to Montreal on Aug. 1
  • Air France flight AF034 from Paris to Montreal on Aug. 1 
  • Air Canada flight AC1297 from Punta Cana to Montreal on Aug. 1
  • Air Canada flight AC1241 from Cancun to Montreal on Aug. 1
  • Pakistan International Airlines flight PK797 from Lahore to Toronto on Aug. 2
  • Etihad Airways flight EY141 from Abu Dhabi to Toronto on Aug. 2
  • Air Canada flight AC992 from Mexico City to Toronto on Aug. 2
  • United Airlines flight UA3488 from Newark to Toronto on Aug. 3
  • Qatar Airlines flight QR763 from Doha to Montreal on Aug. 3
  • Air Canada flight AC7682 from Chicago to Toronto on Aug. 4
  • Air Canada flight AC849 from London to Toronto on Aug. 4
  • Air Canada flight AC879 from Switzerland to Toronto on Aug. 4
  • Tap Air Portugal flight TP253 from Lisbon to Montreal on Aug 4.
  • Delta Airlines flight DL7203 from Atlanta to Calgary on Aug 4.
  • Air Canada flight AC870 from Montreal to Paris on Aug 4. 
  • AeroMexico flight AM680 from Mexico City to Montreal on Aug 4. 

The information posted to the government’s website is provided by provincial and territorial health authorities, international health authorities and public website.

The data on the government’s website is updated once a day.

With files from CTVNews.ca writer Meredith MacLeod.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

News

Trump claims Canada wants U.S. border reopened – CTV News

Published

on


OTTAWA —
U.S. President Donald Trump says that Canada wants to see the Canada-U.S. border reopened, but the federal government says it’ll make the decision based on public health advice. 

“We’re looking at the border with Canada. Canada would like it open, and you know we want to get back to normal business,” Trump said outside the White House on Friday.

“We’re going to be reopening the borders pretty soon,” Trump said, adding that he thinks the U.S. is “rounding the turn” in that country’s still massive COVID-19 outbreak. 

To date there have been more than six million cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. and more than 198,000 Americans have died. Over the course of the crisis there have been 141,565 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Canada, and more than 9,000 deaths. 

On Friday federal officials on both sides of the border announced that the Canada-U.S. border closure would be extended for at least another month, until Oct. 21.

The land border between the two countries has been closed to all non-essential travel since March 21, a move first made to limit the spread of the virus. 

The agreement, as it stands, exempts the flow of trade and commerce, as well as temporary foreign workers and vital health-care workers such as nurses who live and work on opposite sides of the border. 

Tourists and cross-border visits remain prohibited, though some restrictions on close family members have been eased allowing families to reunite, while others continue to call for further compassion for non-married couples and others who are still not permitted to cross. 

Pandemic tensions have flared in Canada over prospective American visitors, some of whom have used loopholes in the rules to enter the country. 

CTVNews.ca reached out to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office for comment, and spokesperson Chantal Gagnon pointed to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s comments earlier on Friday about the continuation of the border restrictions. 

“We will continue to base our decisions on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair said in a tweet. 

In the latest episode of CTV News’ podcast Trend Line, Chair of Nanos Research Nik Nanos said that “people in Canada see what’s happening in the United States, and they have significant concerns about the risks to Canadians because of the pandemic.”

[embedded content]

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada’s Public Health Agency president resigns amid rising coronavirus cases – Global News

Published

on


Tina Namiesniowski, the president of the Public Health Agency of Canada, has resigned leaving the department in charge of leading country’s response to the coronavirus without a leader, amid rising cases of the virus in some of Canada’s most populous provinces.

In a letter to staff released by Health Canada, Namiesniowski said she needed “to take a break” and “step aside so someone else can step up” to lead the public health agency tasked with coordinating Canada’s response to COVID-19. Namiesniowski was appointed to the job in May 2019.

Her resignation comes as caseloads of the virus have surged in Ontario, B.C. and Quebec and criticism about the federal government’s response to the virus in the early stages of the pandemic has mounted.

Story continues below advertisement

A spokesperson for Health Canada said, “a replacement will be announced next week.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“This is a very difficult decision for me but I think it’s the right one,” Namiesniowski said. “You really need someone who will have the energy and the stamina to take the Agency and our response to the next level.

“Even though I might not have accomplished everything I would have liked to have done, I truly hope the foundation for change I’ve championed through our work on PHAC of the future will help serve as a road map moving forward.”

READ MORE: Canada adds 870 new cases, 6 deaths in last 24 hours

According to her LinkedIn profile, Namiesniowski worked as the executive vice-president of the Canada Border Services Agency and served as an assistant deputy minister at Agriculture Canada and Public Safety Canada.

“I will support the transition of a new President and then I am going to take some time to reconnect with my husband, kids and aging father and think about my own next steps,” she wrote. “I do want to remind everyone about how much of a toll this relentless pace can have on each of us and our loved ones so please try and look after yourselves and each other.”

PHAC, which Namiesniowski formally headed, faced criticism over a depleted national emergency stockpile of personal protective equipment (PPE) and reports that the Global Public Health Intelligence Network (GPHIN) – a federal pandemic early warning system — was shut down last year.

Story continues below advertisement

Namiesniowski said in her email Friday, “it is hard to believe that close to ten months has elapsed since the Agency picked up the initial GPHIN signal on December 31st, 2019, about a cluster of cases in Wuhan of an unknown respiratory illness,” but did not mention the ongoing controversy around GPHIN.

Last week, Health Minister Patty Hajdu ordered a review over the warning system matter and reports that officials working on it were silenced, just months before the global outbreak of the coronavirus.

Hajdu said in a statement that a “full and expeditious independent review” has been requested.

“We were concerned to learn of reports that GPHIN analysts felt that they were not able to proceed with their important work, and that some scientists didn’t feel fully empowered. That’s why we have ordered a full and expeditious independent review of GPHIN,” said Hajdu’s office in a statement.

“This independent review is an important step in restoring GPHIN and ensuring that it can continue its valuable contributions to public health in Canada and around the world.”

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada's premiers push for $28B top-up to annual federal health care spending – CBC.ca

Published

on


Canada’s premiers are demanding $28 billion in additional federal funding to cover their ballooning health care costs — a boost that would bring annual transfers to $70 billion.

The premiers have agreed unanimously to call on the Liberal government to address what they call an “absolutely critical” situation.

The premiers are meeting in Ottawa today to map out their demands ahead of next week’s throne speech.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Quebec Premier François Legault — the incoming chair of the Council of the Federation — met in person, with other premiers joining virtually.

“It’s time for the federal government to do its fair share,” Legault said.

Ford said that as the demand for health care services has risen, support from the federal government has been decreasing.

“We’re in desperate need of your support,” he said.

The proposed increase would mean the federal government would cover 35 per cent of provinces’ health care costs, up from the current 22 per cent. Right now, the provinces spend $188 billion on health care, with the federal government covering $42 billion.

“We need the support from the federal government. We’re asking the fed government to support all Canadians. Be a true partner when it comes to health care,” Ford said.

Clockwise from top left: Quebec Premier François Legault, Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister are meeting in person in Ottawa, with other premiers joining in virtually. (Evan Mitsui, Michael Wilson, William Wang, Gary Solilak/CBC)

Pallister said Canadians are living in fear because of the consequences of federal underfunding, such as longer waits for services and diagnoses.

“Right now, millions of Canadians are waiting for an appointment for a test, for consequential treatment, for surgery. Those delays are painful. A lump that isn’t diagnosed is not fun,” he said.

“Every single day right now in Canada, there are people in fear directly of the consequences of delay, and their families join in that fear, and their friends join in that fear.”

Pallister said it’s been a longstanding problem that has gone unaddressed. He said it’s time for the federal government to resume its “rightful role as a true funding partner” in order to shorten wait times and improve health care.

Ford and Legault met in Mississauga, Ont., last week to discuss economic recovery and health preparedness as the number of active COVID-19 cases rises in parts of the country.

“Premier Ford is in Ottawa to join his fellow Premiers ahead of the throne speech to press the federal government on critical priorities for the people of Ontario, including strengthening frontline health care, helping people and businesses get back on their feet, and moving shovel-ready infrastructure projects forward,” said Ford’s spokesperson Ivana Yelich in an email.

The federal government is providing $19 billion to the provinces to help ease the financial burden of the pandemic; about $10 billion of that sum is for health-related expenses.

But Ford and Legault said more long-term funding is needed to address critical health care issues that predate the pandemic, such as the increasing cost of new medical technologies and drugs and an aging population.

The federal government will transfer almost $42 billion to provinces and territories for health care this fiscal year under an agreement that mandates an an annual increase of three per cent.

Legault has said that the federal contribution is well below the 50 per cent share originally agreed upon decades ago.

Before the premiers’ meeting, Ford sat down with Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and the city’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Vera Etches.

The provincial government has imposed stricter rules on gatherings in the Ottawa, Toronto and Peel regions after their COVID-19 infections spiked.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending