Connect with us

News

St. John’s senior gets letter from Canada Post saying it’s too dangerous to deliver any letters

Published

 on

William Pryse-Philips woke up last Saturday to the familiar sight of a letter in his mailbox.

What it told him, however, was something he’d never heard before.

“It was a kind, apologetic letter saying they are very sorry that due to weather conditions, they could not deliver any mail by hand,” said Pryse-Philips, a retired neurosurgeon living in St. John’s.

“The letter, however, was delivered by hand.… I found that rather ironic.”

The one-page note from Canada Post indicated the area around Pryse-Philips’ property was too dangerous to permit employees to walk to his door, and that his mail could be picked up at a post office on Kenmount Road.

“Due to the conditions of the roads and the lack of snow clearing, it is not safe for our delivery employee to walk out in the road,” reads the letter.

“We are monitoring the situation and will resume your delivery service as soon as it is safe to do so.”

For Pryse-Philips, who says he and his neighbours have kept up with clearing the walkways on their properties, the polite message represented more than a minor inconvenience — it meant, by the agency’s own metric, putting Canada Post customers at risk.

“The union and the city and Canada Post generally, it seems, want to protect their letter carriers from any possible hazard,” he said.

“The trouble is that by doing that, they are creating hazards for other people.”

 

Canada Post said it wasn’t safe to deliver to this St. John’s residence due to ‘lack of snow clearing.’ (Mark Quinn/CBC)

 

Seniors, people with disabilities, and those relying on income assistance cheques, he said, now have to find a way to the depot to pick up potential necessities, thanks to that decision.

Pryse-Philips also took issue with the gap between Canada Post’s risk assessment and the city’s, calling the postal agency “overcautious” in light of other residents and employees getting around town — and thinks the amount of snow around his property pales in comparison to the dangers other residents face.

“What is the hazard? How much hazard are we talking about?” he asked.

“Schoolchildren are having to walk home maybe a kilometre and a half from a school, often along unplowed sidewalks. We don’t seem to worry about that.”

No one from Canada Post was available for an interview Wednesday, but in a statement told CBC the letter informing Pryse-Philips of the delivery disruption was placed in his mailbox by two employees working together. The agency said it determined single-person delivery wasn’t safe.

The postal service has faced criticism after a January blizzard left many of its community mailboxes buried for days and essential mail undelivered for weeks. Some areas of the city, now including Pryse-Philips’s neighbourhood, are still waiting for letters and parcels to fill mailboxes and front steps.

But Pryse-Philips lays part of that blame with the city.

“The amount of sidewalk clearing has been minimal,” he said. “They really have to put snow clearing, and snow removal, as a priority. Which I feel from their actions in this last month they’ve failed to do.”

Source link

News

Zimbabwean lecturer develops low-cost sun cream set to help people with Albinism

Published

 on

Harare, Zimbabwe- Dr. Joey Chifamba, a University of Zimbabwe (UZ) chartered industrial chemist and pharmaceutical nanotechnology expert has developed a low-cost sun cream which is set to help people with Albinism.

According to Dr. Chifamba, the sun cream harnesses zinc and titanium from natural sources as well as indigenous trees and was made using 5th generation emerging technologies including nanotechnology and biotechnology.

Speaking to a local publication, The Herald, Dr. Chifamba said his ground-breaking sun cream will help people living with Albinism who suffer from actinic (solar-induced) skin damage, freckles, sunburn as well as other various skin cancers.

“No product has ever been developed to protect Albinistic persons from actinic damage. The sunscreens that are given to them are designed for white-skinned people and do not take into consideration specific conditions and differences found on Albinistic skins.

This makes them not very effective and not very suitable especially for all-day everyday wear since Albinism is a lifelong condition.

We employ nanosized metallic oxides sunblocks conjugated together with nano-optimized indigenous herbs with antibacterial, antifungal and wound healing effects to create aesthetically pleasing cosmeceutical products for every day all day use by Albinistic persons.

In our innovation we have developed ground-breaking cosmeceuticals which are not only sunscreens but complete actinic damage retarding treatments that consider Albinistic skin differences and deal with various symptoms of actinic damage including wrinkles, premature aging, inflammation, bacterial and fungal infections,” said Dr. Chifamba.

Furthermore, Dr. Chifamba said the products which were developed in consultation with the Albino charity organization of Zimbabwe and other Albino welfare groups, are already available to people living with Albinism who are registered with the charity organization.

People with Albinism have skin that is very sensitive to light and sun exposure. Sunburn is one of the most serious complications associated with Albinism because it can increase the risk of developing skin cancer and sun damage-related thickening of the skin.

Albinism is a rare genetic condition caused by mutations of certain genes that affect the amount of melanin your body produces. Albinism can affect people of all races and all ethnic groups

For most types of Albinism, both parents must carry the gene in order for their child to develop the condition. Most people with Albinism have parents who are only carriers of the gene and don’t have symptoms of the condition.

Other types of Albinism, including one that only affects the eyes, mostly occur when a birthing parent passes the gene for albinism on to a child assigned male at birth.

Continue Reading

News

Donald Trump loyalist, Alex Jones ordered to pay US$49 million in punitive damages

Published

 on

Donald Trump loyalist, Alex Jones ordered to pay US$49 million in punitive damages

Austin, United States of America (USA)- A jury in Texas on Friday ordered Alex Jones, a loyalist to former US President Donald Trump, to pay $45.2 million in punitive damages to the parents of a child who was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

The jury announced its decision a day after awarding the parents more than U$4.1 million in compensatory damages and after testimony on Friday that Jones and Free Speech Systems, the parent company of his media outlet, Infowars, were worth US$135 million to US$270 million.

Prior to Friday’s Court proceedings, Jones told his audience that the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a hoax and that the grieving parents of those who died were actors.

The total of US$49.3 million is less than the US$150 million sought by Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, whose 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis was among the 20 children and six educators killed in the deadliest classroom shooting in US history.

“He stood up to the bully Adam Lanza and saved nine of his classmates’ lives. I hope that I did that incredible courage justice when I was able to confront Alex Jones, who is also a bully. I hope that inspires other people to do the same. This is an important day for truth, for justice, and I couldn’t be happier,” said Lewis.

Before the jurors began deliberating about the punitive damages, Wesley Todd Ball, a lawyer for the family, told the jury that it had the ability to send a message for everyone in the country and perhaps this world to hear.

“We ask that you send a very, very simple message, and that is, Stop Alex Jones. Stop the monetization of misinformation and lies. Please,” said Ball.

Jones, who has portrayed the lawsuit as an attack on his First Amendment rights, conceded during the trial that the attack was 100 percent real and that he was wrong to have lied about it, but Heslin and Lewis told jurors that an apology wouldn’t suffice and called on them to make Jones pay for the years of suffering he has put them and other Sandy Hook families through.

The parents told jurors about how they have endured a decade of trauma, inflicted first by the murder of their son and what followed, gunshots fired at the home, online and phone threats, and harassment on the street by strangers. They said the threats and harassment were all fueled by Jones and his conspiracy theory spread to his followers via Infowars.

Jones who was in the courtroom briefly on Friday but not there for the verdict still faces two other defamation lawsuits from Sandy Hook families in Texas and Connecticut.

Nevertheless, Jones has also claimed, among things, that the Pentagon was using chemical warfare to turn people Gay, that COVID-19 is not real and that September 11 was an inside job perpetrated by the government.

 

Continue Reading

News

FBI still worried of another attack from Afghan rebel groups

Published

 on

Washington D.C, United States of America (USA)- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), head, Christopher Wray has expressed grave concerns over another attack from Afghanistan rebel groups such as al Qaeda and ISIS.

His comments come just days after the US killed al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Afghanistan via drone strike.

“I am worried about the possibility that we will see al Qaeda reconstitute, ISIS-K potentially taking advantage of the deteriorating security environment, and I am worried about terrorists, including here in the United States, being inspired by what they see over there,” said the FBI director during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

Al-Zawahiri was killed in a drone strike, ending a years-long manhunt which placed al-Zawahiri near the top of the FBI’s most-wanted list. The 71-year-old Egyptian national headed up the group after the death of terrorist kingpin Osama Bin Laden in an American raid in 2011 and is thought to have helped plan the 9/11 attacks.

The Department of State also cited it believes there is a higher potential for anti-American violence given the death of al-Zawahiri.

Meanwhile, the FBI is investigating a possible assassination plot against Iranian-American journalist, Masih Alinejad.

According to US news sources, a man was arrested carrying a loaded AK-47 rifle in a possible plot to assassinate her.

Alinejad herself shared security camera footage of the suspect at her front door on Twitter on Sunday, saying, “My crime is giving voice to voiceless people. The US administration must be tough on terror.”

The arrested man was taken in by Police after a traffic stop. They said he ran a stop sign and when they checked his vehicle, they found a gun in the backseat, according to the complaint filed by the FBI.

He was charged with possessing a firearm without a proper serial number. At his Friday (last week) hearing, the Judge ordered him to be held without bail.

The suspect initially claimed that he knew nothing about the weapon and said he was just in the area looking for an apartment, but later he told the investigators that he owned the gun and that he was looking for someone in Brooklyn.

In July last year, US prosecutors charged four Iranian spies with trying to kidnap Alinejad from her home in Brooklyn and taking her to Venezuela. Investigators said that they had also tried to lure her to the Middle East before that.

Continue Reading

Trending