Connect with us

News

Biden hails 5G wireless deal averting aviation safety crisis

Published

 on

U.S. President Joe Biden hailed a deal between wireless carriers and U.S. regulators that will allow the deployment of new 5G wireless in two weeks and averted an aviation safety crisis.

AT&T and Verizon Communications agreed late Monday to delay C-Band wireless spectrum deployment until Jan. 19 but won key assurances that they will be able to start service this month, according to a Transportation Department letter seen by Reuters.

The delay came after pressure from the White House, aviation unions and a threat by airlines to file suit to block the deployment that could have disrupted thousands of daily flights.

Biden said the “agreement ensures that there will be no disruptions to air operations over the next two weeks and puts us on track to substantially reduce disruptions to air operations when AT&T and Verizon launch 5G on January 19th.”

The aviation industry and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) have raised concerns about potential interference of 5G with sensitive aircraft electronics like radio altimeters that could disrupt flights.

Verizon Chief Executive Hans Vestberg told employees Tuesday in an email that it sees no aviation safety issue with 5G, but said the FAA “intended to disrupt an already difficult time for air travel if we move ahead with our planned activation… We felt that it was the right thing to do for the flying public, which includes our customers and all of us, to give the FAA a little time to work out its issues with the aviation community.”

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and FAA Administrator chief Steve Dickson told AT&T and Verizon in a letter Monday, seen by Reuters, the agencies will not seek any further delays in deployment of 5G wireless service beyond Jan. 19 absent any “unforeseen aviation safety issues.”

The agreement “will give us additional time and space to reduce the impacts to commercial flights,” they wrote.

The attached “final term sheet” said unless “unforeseen aviation safety issues” arise the U.S. agencies “will not seek or demand any further delays of C-Band deployment, in whole or in part, including a delay of return to routine operations.”

Airlines for America, a group representing American Airlines, FedEx Corp, Delta Air Lines and others, had been preparing to file suit late Monday absent a delay, industry officials told reporters.

A wireless industry official told Reuters the deal gives them assurances they will be able to begin deployment this month.

AT&T and Verizon had agreed Sunday to adopt exclusion zones for six months around some airports in a bid to mirror safeguards adopted by France, but had rejected Buttigieg’s request for a delay of up to two weeks.

The letter said that by Friday regulators will provide the carriers “with a list of no more than 50 priority airports that they would propose to be subject to the C-Band exclusion zones” that AT&T and Verizon had proposed Sunday.

Additional requests may be made for “voluntary surgical mitigation measures at any individual airport” but AT&T and Verizon “shall have sole discretion to determine if any requested mitigations, adjustments or alterations will be made.”

AT&T and Verizon won nearly all of the C-Band spectrum in an $80-billion auction last year. In total, Verizon paid $52.9 billion for the spectrum, including incentive payments and clearing costs, to reach more than 100 million Americans, while AT&T paid $23.4 billion.

AT&T and Verizon in November initially agreed to delay the deployment by 30 days to Jan. 5 after the FAA raised safety concerns and the carriers adopted voluntary precautionary measures for six months.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

News

Black and Racialized Artists, Musicians and Producers Join Forces For THE FREEDOM MARCHING PROJECT

Published

 on

January 2022/Toronto, ON — Rufus John, award-winning Black Caribbean-Canadian R&B/ Soul singer & songwriter is gearing up to release the single, Freedom Marching (Part I). The song will be available for pre-order on January 10th, 2022 and will be featured on the 3-song EP, The Freedom Marching Project, which is slated to be released on February 4th, 2022.  

In support of the release of the EP, the project will also consist of; two official music videos, one in-studio performance video, a Call-To-Action Commercial, a Behind the Scenes Docuseries and a website that will feature resources and information for those who are willing to watch, listen and learn to then #JoinTheMarch. 

 The Freedom Marching Project founded by John, was inspired by the thousands of people who had the courage to use their voice to take action by marching through streets all over the world shouting, “Black Lives Matter!” in what is hailed as the most significant civil rights movement of our generation.  The goals of the Project are to use the creative power of Art, Education and Activism to; honor the community leaders who are fighting daily on the frontlines for equity, access, diversity, participation, and rights for BlackIndigenous, racialized communities, to shed light on the lived experiences of Black, Indigenous & Racialized communities and to provide resources and information to those who want to Stay Informed, Get Connected and Take Action. 

 

John’s own music tells life stories of his past. A certified youth worker and mentor, John’s goal is to bring to the fore-front, deeply embedded issues experienced by the youth he helps and to inspire those who want to do more, to listen, to learn and join the movement.  John’s mandate has always been to not just connect but to engage.  John’s patience & commitment comes from his own experiences & mistakes and the people that helped him.   Walking alongside the youth he mentors is not only necessary for their journey but for his.  Being in for the long term is important.  Showing up is key.  

 

John used his connections within the music industry to bring together some Juno & Grammy award winners & nominees to lend their voices and talents to this special project. Collectively the talented group is called, United Artists 4 change and the ensemble features over 40 Black and Racialized Artists, Musicians and Producers from around Canada. The EP was produced by Da-Rell Clifton, vocally produced by Gary McAuley, Rufus John & Darren Hamilton, and mixed/mastered by Dan Brodbeck.  Some of the artists involved are:  JRDN, Carlos Morgan, D.O, Chad Price, Dan-e-o, Owen O Sound” Lee, Dwayne Morgan, Quisha Wint, Jason Simmons (Vocal Paint), The McAuley Boys, Nefe, Clair Davis, Aphrose, D/Shon and The Waterloo Region Mass Choir.   

 

The Freedom Marching Project has partnered with Community leader Selam Debs & the initiative Parents of Black Children. A Go Fund Me page has been set up where people can donate for the month of February and all the proceeds raised via Go Fund Me will be evenly distributed between The Freedom Marching Project and our partners who are combating racism, oppression and discrimination within the current systems and communities.

 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-freedom-marching-project?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer 

 

 

Release Dates: 

Jan 10thPre save/order Freedom Marching (Part I) 

Jan 17thDocuseries Ep.1  

Jan 21stDocuseries Ep. 2  

Jan 26th: Docuseries Ep. 3    

Jan 28th: Freedom Marching (Part I) Release 

Feb 1stIn Studio Music Video Release 

Feb 4thFull EP Release 

Feb 11th & 12thMusic Videos Release  

 

Connect with The Freedom Marching Project:

Website: www.freedommarching.com

YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9Kyeuul-PvvBmn4baMrvw

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FreedomMarchingProject

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/freedomarchingproject/

Tik Tok: https://www.tiktok.com/@freedommarchingproject

 

 

** Talent available for interviews

Media Inquiries: 

Sasha Stoltz Publicity & Management:Sasha Stoltz | Sasha@sashastoltzpublicity.com | 416.579.4804 

Continue Reading

News

National Gaming on Capital Hill

Published

 on

This past January 13th, The US Supreme Court issued two rulings blocking an Occupational Safety and Health Administrations COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate for employers who have 100 or more employees, while allowing a separate rule which applies to healthcare workers at facilities receiving federal funds.

The 6-3 decision blocked OSHA and other organizations from imposing any such rule. While the OSHA made every effort to enforce temporary emergency standards in its massive organization, it seems the influence and legal pressure applied by both Labor and Corporations to end this attempt to have 84 million workers get COVID-19 vaccinations was too much for the administration.

The Supreme court directed organizations and corporations with more than 100 employees to develop, implement and enforce a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, with exceptions for employees that instead are required to undergo regular COVID-19 testing and wear a face mask at work.

While many corporations and manufacturers did enforce OSHA rules and carry out the needed mass vaccinations, the problem arose that such an organization such as OSHA had never issued such a mandate, and Congress had declined to enact any measure similar to OSHA’s. What do we have here folks? A governmental organization trying to carry out what the Biden Administration has asked to be done in America. The vaccines are available, but a large portion of America remains unvaccinated.

Instead of issuing a Presidential Executive Order declaring an emergency, the Administration has directed a few organizations to do so that they can wait and see if such a mandate will be accepted and approved by the population, labor, and business sectors. Perhaps it is the way this is being done that is the problem for The Supreme court, or the Republican friendly conservative of the court simply outnumber the liberal members. Politics as usual. Ineffectual, unworkable politics where no matter the issue, the Republicans will block any Democratic Administration’s attempt to protect America.

A nation divided, even when the lives of many are at stake. American media makes the storming of the Capital on Jan 6th seem like an emergency, an insurrection of serious substance while the Republicans on the Capital, block in every way possible any attempt to save lives through public safety and health mandates. Remember how the Republican strategy to make Obama Administration seem ineffectual by blocking all legislative efforts? The same Republicans are repeating this strategy with the Biden Administration. A sports analogy whereby one blocks constantly until your opponent makes a mistake and fumbles. While the lives of millions are threatened by COVID-19 these Republicans play games with the nation. Americans are feeling stressed, hopeless, and fearful of their future and yet their elected officials cannot work together to accomplish anything, except perhaps giving themselves a wage increase. Have those on Capital Hill forgotten who they represent?

Steven Kaszab
Bradford, Ontario
skaszab@yahoo.ca

Continue Reading

News

Health Canada expected to approve Pfizer's COVID-19 therapeutic today: sources – CBC News

Published

 on


Health Canada is expected to approve Pfizer’s COVID-19 therapeutic today for use in this country, sources told CBC News and Radio-Canada.

Dr. Supriya Sharma, the health regulator’s chief medical adviser, will speak to the media at 11 a.m. ET. CBCNews.ca will carry her remarks live.

Pfizer’s Paxlovid, which is an antiviral prescribed by a doctor and administered in pill form, is designed to help the body fight off the SARS-CoV-2 virus, reduce symptoms from an infection and shorten the period of illness.

The product has been hailed as a pandemic “game changer” by some doctors because it could reduce hospitalizations and deaths among COVID-19 patients. An effective pill that’s easy to self-administer at home could relieve some of the pressure on the health-care system and change the trajectory of the pandemic, experts say.

After months-long clinical trials, Pfizer reported in November that Paxlovid reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by an impressive 89 per cent compared to a placebo in non-hospitalized high-risk adults with COVID-19.

Canada has placed an order for an initial quantity of one million treatment courses. Some of that supply will start to arrive after Health Canada’s expected approval.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending