Connect with us

Sports

Calgary Flames' Travis Hamonic first to opt out of NHL restart – ESPN

Published

on


Flames defenseman Travis Hamonic became the first NHL player to opt out of this summer’s restart.

Calgary GM Brad Treliving announced Hamonic’s decision Friday night, just hours after the NHL and NHLPA officially agreed to move forward with a 24-team tournament, scheduled to begin Aug. 1.

“Earlier this evening Travis called me to inform us that he has decided to opt out of the NHL return to play program,” Treliving said in a statement. “Travis explained that due to family considerations, he has made the difficult decision not to participate in the Stanley Cup qualifier and playoffs. While we will miss Travis in our lineup, we understand and respect his decision. Our focus remains on preparation for training camp and our upcoming series in the NHL qualifying round.”

In a statement posted to Twitter by Hamonic’s representatives, he said he was opting out over concern for his daughter, who was hospitalized in 2019 because of a respiratory illness when she was 8 months old.

Players have until Monday to inform their teams if they are opting out. As part of the NHL and NHLPA’s agreements, players will not be punished if they choose not to play this summer, and they do not need to cite a specific reason.

Hamonic, 29, played in only 50 of the team’s 70 games this season and was on injured reserve because of an upper body injury when the NHL paused play on March 12. Hamonic is in the final year of his contract and will become an unrestricted free agent this fall.

Hamonic is a 10-year NHL veteran, and he played his first seven seasons with the New York Islanders.

The Flames will face the Winnipeg Jets in the qualification round, which is a best-of-five series. The Western Conference games will be held in Edmonton, Alberta.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Strange times for Rory McIlroy, but he has signed some autographs – Golf Channel

Published

on


SAN FRANCISCO – Rory McIlroy has conceded that the lack of fans since the PGA Tour’s restart in June has been a distraction and that he’s had to work to maintain his focus during rounds.

“Honestly for me, if anything, I’ve found myself looking at leaderboards a little more just to see where I am on there and see where other people are,” he said on Wednesday at TPC Harding Park. “There’s no feedback from anywhere else, so the leaderboards are the only thing you have to see how you’re doing in a tournament.”

There was, however, one familiar moment last week at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational that made things feel somewhat normal. When he was asked the last time he signed an autograph, McIlroy laughed: “Last week,” he said.


With no fans, Rory relying more on leaderboards for feedback


Rory on lack of fans: ‘I’ve found myself looking at leaderboards a little more’

PGA Championship: Tee times | Full coverage


McIlroy explained that he rented a house in the TPC Southwind neighborhood last week, and one afternoon he received some visitors.

“A couple of kids came to the door and I said, ‘Let me just go get a Sharpie out of my own bag,’ because they came with a Sharpie,” McIlroy said. “Even that, you go and you take your own Sharpie and make sure that it’s sanitized and all that stuff. But yeah, I’ve signed a lot less autographs the last few months.”

The USGA announced plans to play the U.S. Open in September without fans, and it’s currently unclear when the PGA Tour will allow fans back on courses. Many believe the Masters in November is the next possible event that could include spectators.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NBA Board of Govs. Pledges $300M to Economic Empowerment of Black Community – Bleacher Report

Published

on


Kim Klement/Associated Press

The NBA announced Wednesday that it would donate $300 million over the next 10 years to help found the NBA Foundation, which is “dedicated to creating greater economic empowerment in the Black community.”

B/R’s Howard Beck shared the NBA’s press release:

Specifically, the goal of the NBA Foundation will be to “increase access and support for high school, college-aged and career-ready Black men and women, and assist national and local organizations that provide skills training, mentorship, coaching and pipeline development in NBA markets and communities across the United States and Canada.”

The goal will be to help young Black men and women get a first job, keep employment while in high school or college and to advance their careers upon graduation. 

NBA players were adamant that addressing social issues was a condition of any return to play after the COVID-19 pandemic caused a four-month hiatus. 

“The issues of systemic racism and police brutality in our country need to end,” NBPA president and Oklahoma Thunder point guard Chris Paul said in a joint NBA-NBPA statement in late June. “As players, we have taken a leadership role when it comes to using our voices and implementing practical solutions, but there is much work ahead both in Orlando and long-term to continue the momentum and bring about real, long-lasting change to our society.”

The NBA and NBPA said in that statement that they also agreed to increase hirings of Black men and women in coaching and front office roles around the NBA and would work with more Black businesses and vendors in their communities.

During the restart itself, teams have taken a knee during the playing of the national anthem, a nod to former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s protest of racial discrimination and police brutality in 2016. And many players have used their time speaking with the media to talk about issues of systemic racism and police reform. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Ontario Place to show Maple Leafs and Raptors games at drive-in theatre – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

on


TORONTO – Sports fans can’t pack into arenas this summer, but a new Toronto drive-in theatre hopes to get them a bit closer to the action.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has partnered with Live Nation to open a 40-foot movie screen to showcase a series of Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors playoff games.

The OLG Play Stage, located at Ontario Place, will also host a lineup of concerts over the coming weeks.

Admission for sports will be a minimum $25 donation towards the MLSE Foundation, while concert prices vary by the performer.

The first event is slated for Aug. 7 when the Leafs play the Columbus Blue Jackets in Game 4 of their Stanley Cup qualifier series.

Organizers say each playoff game will begin with a 30-minute pre-game show, and a selection of food and beverages will be available for pre-order, as well as merchandise, that will be delivered to your vehicle.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending