Google’s next phone will be a stark departure in terms of specs, design, and cameras. We also learned today that the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro will not include a USB-C charger in the box.
For the last few years, Google has shipped an 18W USB-C Power Adapter with every Pixel phone. The original Pixel in 2016 notably included bricks that partially color-matched with the device, but the company quickly switched to an entirely stark white exterior. It’s quite straightforward with support for USB Power Delivery 2.0 and a fairly standard-sized plastic body.
It’s still included with the $449 Pixel 5a that will ship later this month, but Google told The Verge that future phones will go without the accessory. The company’s rationale is that most people have a USB-C charger today. This follows Apple and Samsung at the start of this year, with the arguments unchanged.
The Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro should be the first devices affected by this change, with Google getting the opportunity to further shrink its retail packaging, especially since the charger was the thickest object included. The company has already been minimizing the size of the box to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
Google’s justification makes sense on the flagship end, but an argument could be made that A-Series phones — given the intended price-conscious and possibly first-time audience — should continue to include a brick.
Meanwhile, the $35 charger could do with a discount. It does include a 1-meter USB-C to USB-C cable that Google sells for $20, but that should remain in the box. The pairing should be unbundled so that owners who do need a charger have a cheap first-party option during checkout. Samsung’s most affordable brick is $19.99 with a cable, while Apple’s is priced the same without the cord.
More about Pixel:
Apple to Fix Issue Preventing iPhone 13 Users From Unlocking With Apple Watch in Upcoming Software Update – MacRumors
In a support document, Apple said affected users can turn off Unlock with Apple Watch and use their passcode to unlock their iPhone 13 until the software update is released. The feature, which is designed to let you unlock your iPhone while wearing a mask or ski goggles, can be toggled off in the Settings app under Face ID & Passcode.
Apple did not specify which software update will include a fix, nor did it provide a timeframe. The first beta of iOS 15.1 was released five days ago, but Apple could also choose to release a minor iOS 15.0.1 update with bug fixes.
As we reported, affected users might see an “Unable to Communicate with Apple Watch” error message if they try to unlock their iPhone 13 while wearing a face mask, or they might not be able to set up Unlock with Apple Watch.
Apple today announced that it will be holding a special event on Tuesday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m. The event will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California.
As with WWDC and last year’s fall events, this new event will be held digitally with no members of the media invited to attend in person. Apple will likely provide pre-taped segments for…
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro arrived in October 2020 in a range of color options, with entirely new hues available on both devices, as well as some popular classics. The 12 and 12 Pro have different color choices, so if you have your heart set on a particular shade, you might not be able to get your preferred model in that color.
iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12
The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone…
YouTube is planning to stop supporting its YouTube app on the third-generation Apple TV models, where YouTube has long been available as a channel option.
A 9to5Mac reader received a message about the upcoming app discontinuation, which is set to take place in March.Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on…
Apple has teamed up with Maroon 5 to add the group’s new song “Memories” to the Memories feature in the Photos app, allowing it to be used for photo slide show creations, reports Billboard.
“Memories” will be available as a soundtrack option for a limited time and it is available to iPhone and iPad users running the latest iOS 13 and iPadOS software.
Memories in the Photos app are created …
Serif today announced across-the-board updates for its popular suite of Affinity creative apps, including Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and the Apple award-winning Affinity Publisher for Mac, all of which were among the first professional creative suites to be optimized for Apple’s new M1 chip.
“After another year which saw record numbers of people switching to Affinity, it’s exciting to…
To commemorate the tenth anniversary of the iPhone, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller sat down with tech journalist Steven Levy for a wide-ranging interview about the smartphone’s past, present, and future.
The report first reflects upon the iPhone’s lack of support for third-party apps in its first year. The argument inside Apple was split between whether the iPhone should be a closed…
The finish line is in sight! Apple’s annual iPhone event is likely just a week or so away and all eyes will be on the company as it unveils the next version of its most popular product line. With any luck, we’ll also see the next-generation Apple Watch and perhaps even some new AirPods.
Other news this week saw Apple making some more changes to its App Store policies in response to a…
August is rapidly drawing to close, which means Apple’s annual iPhone launch event is right around the corner. iPhone 13 and Apple Watch Series 7 rumors are continuing to circulate, and we’re also hearing about Mac updates likely coming a bit later.
Apple is also finishing up work on its upcoming software updates like iOS 15, with some late-addition features starting to go live in beta while …
The iPhone 13 is widely expected to come with Wi-Fi 6E capabilities, and while it may seem rather nuanced to the average consumer, with only improved speeds and being “up to date” in the realm of Wi-Fi technology, it’s actually a fairly significant improvement, laying the groundwork for much of what we know the future holds.
To truly understand Wi-Fi 6E, MacRumors sat down for an exclusive…
‘Overwatch 2’ Sure Feels Like ‘Overwatch Patch v2.0’ So Far – Forbes
Blizzard is starting to announce more than just cosmetic changes to its heroes for Overwatch 2, which will start rolling out this spring in competitive play in OWL, using an early build. Yesterday, major reworks of heroes Sombra and Bastion were featured, including changes that make Sombra sound OP on paper, and let Bastion roll around in Sentry mode now, equally terrifying in its own right.
But the more I hear about Overwatch 2 the more it keeps sounding like what is essentially the world’s biggest balance patch, changing the meta with structural changes, like a smaller team size, and then these grand reworks to heroes to make them…better? I mean they’re different, that’s clear, but how much of this is change for its own sake?
While sure, I’ll give these multiplayer changes a chance, it’s not like the decision to make this a full-on “Overwatch 2” has not cost the game or series anything. To do this, they have essentially stopped development on the current game completely, something that is very, very risky in this genre as all other games keep pumping out new content. We haven’t had a new Overwatch hero since April 2020’s Echo. And before that it was August 2019’s Sigma. Development has slowed and then ultimately stopped, and while we’re supposed to get at least one new hero, Sojourn, if not more when OW2 launches, it’s important to remember we still don’t have anything approaching an actual release date for the game, so Overwatch will have taken a “hero break” for a full two years, at minimum, by the time this is over.
Of course, the X-factor in all this is what’s going to happen with single player content. This is the new “paid” part of Overwatch 2, while the multiplayer changes will be free to those who own Overwatch 1. But we’ve heard incredibly little about single player and seen almost nothing from it. There’s something about running story missions on repeat to level up your heroes with PvE only upgrades. Overwatch isn’t getting an open world or loot or anything like that. What I’m hearing sounds kind of like…Battleborn, weirdly? At least a blend of Battleborn, Destiny strikes and the single player content we already see from the game. But that’s just a guess because we only have the barest outlines of how single player or co-op PvE content will work in Overwatch 2. Everything has been focused on these character reworks, and redesigns that I don’t even understand, given that all your skins will carry over from the last game, and players won’t really care that Bastion has a new hat now.
Diablo 4 may be a troubled Blizzard project as well, especially in the wake of all the harassment issues and resignations, but at least I understand that game at baseline. Overwatch 2 remains deeply perplexing, a bunch of massive meta changes for their own sake, a giant mega-patch attached to bunch of PvE content in a series known almost exclusively for PvP. As ever, it feels mainly like Activision wanted to slap a “2” on something, even if it sounds as ridiculous in theory as League of Legends 2 or Fortnite 2, games that are clearly never going to get or need full sequels.
I remain deeply confused about what the end result of Overwatch 2 will look like, or when it will get here. For now, we’ll just keep getting these rework patch note drops, and seeing how things will change.
Galaxy S22 Ultra leak suggests Samsung will include the Note's S-Pen slot – Engadget
Don’t be dismayed that Samsung passed on the Galaxy Note in 2021… you might get your stylus-equipped phone before too long. Frequent tipster OnLeaks has shared renders with Zouton, 91Mobiles and Digit that reportedly show the designs of next year’s Galaxy S22 phones, including an Ultra model aimed squarely at Note fans. It would effectively be a sequel to the Galaxy Note 20, complete with an S-Pen slot and less rounded corners. There would also be a fourth camera you didn’t even see on the S21 Ultra, although it’s not clear what functionality you’d get.
The other models wouldn’t be quite so thrilling, however. If accurate, the renders suggest the S22 and S22+ (possibly badged as the S22 Pro) wouldn’t be radically different from the S21 on the outside. They’d sport flatter backs and a slightly refined camera bump, but not much more. Most of the changes would sit underneath. Rumors have the regular S22 models jumping to a 50MP main camera (up from 12MP) and using Qualcomm’s next-gen Snapdragon chip or Samsung’s equivalent Exynos.
It’s not certain when Samsung will launch the S22 family, although it notably bumped up the S21 launch to January this year. If the company repeats that pattern, Note enthusiasts might only have to wait a few months more than usual to get their fix. That is, if they haven’t already bought an S21 Ultra or Z Fold 3 and the pen to match — the lack of clear messaging on the Note’s future may have cost Samsung some sales.
All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
23,000-year-old human footprints found in White Sands – Sunday Vision
To Fight Corruption, Regulate Art Dealers, Real Estate Agents, Other White-Collar Enablers – Foreign Policy
Ontario reports 653 new COVID-19 cases, 6 more virus-related deaths – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Sports23 hours ago
Pros react to Oleksandr Usyk’s upset of Anthony Joshua – MMA Fighting
Media23 hours ago
Media Release – September 25, 2021 – Guelph Police – guelphpolice.ca
Media24 hours ago
South River's SOUNDplay Festival celebrates 20 years of media art – BayToday.ca
News24 hours ago
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday – CBC.ca
Media22 hours ago
Social Media Buzz: Meng Back in China, U.K. Gas Shortage, Huobi – Bloomberg
Business24 hours ago
'We will not boost our way out of this pandemic,' CDC director says as 70 million eligible Americans remain unvaccinated – CTV News
Health15 hours ago
COVID-19 hospitalizations in Ottawa up slightly, ICU admissions down – Newstalk 1010 (iHeartRadio)
News23 hours ago
New Brunswick announces new COVID-19-related death, 61 cases Saturday – CTV News Atlantic