Connect with us

Media

Hong Kong leader says Stand News arrests not aimed at media industry

Published

 on

A Hong Kong police raid on a pro-democracy media organisation and the arrest of seven people connected with it was aimed at seditious activity not the suppression of the media, the city government’s leader said on Thursday.

About 200 police raided the Stand News office on Wednesday, froze its assets and arrested the seven current and former senior editors and former board members, for “conspiracy to publish seditious publications”.

They were in police detention some 30 hours after their arrest, awaiting formal charges or release. Under Hong Kong law, police can detain suspects for a maximum of 48 hours.

The raid was the latest crackdown on the media and on dissent in general in the former British colony since China imposed a tough national security law in the city last year aimed at putting an end to months of pro-democracy protests.

“These actions have nothing to do with so-called suppression of press freedom,” Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam told reporters.

“Journalism is not seditious … but seditious activities could not be condoned under the guise of news reporting.”

Set up in 2014 as a non-profit organisation, Stand News was the most prominent remaining pro-democracy publication in Hong Kong after a national security investigation this year led to the closure of jailed tycoon Jimmy Lai’s Apple Daily tabloid.

Stand News, an online publication, shut down hours after the raid and all of its employees were dismissed.

The Stand News website was not accessible on Thursday. Its London bureau chief, Yeung Tin Shui, said on Facebook his office had also closed.

The seven arrested included four former members of the Stand News board – former democratic legislator Margaret Ng, pop singer Denise Ho, Chow Tat-chi and Christine Fang – as well as former chief editor Chung Pui-kuen and acting chief editor Patrick Lam. Chung’s wife, Chan Pui-man, formerly with Apple Daily, was re-arrested in prison.

Media advocacy groups, some Western governments, including Canada and Germany, and the U.N. Human Rights Office condemned the raid and arrests as a sign of erosion of press freedom in the global financial hub.

Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997 with the promise that wide-ranging individual rights, including a free press, would be protected.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken called on Chinese and Hong Kong authorities to immediately release those arrested.

Lam, referring to Blinken’s call, said that would be against the rule of law.

The Chinese foreign ministry’s Hong Kong office said support for press freedom was being used as an excuse to disrupt stability in the city.

“Those who engage in activities that endanger national security and undermine the rule of law and public order under the cover of journalism are the black sheep tarnishing the press freedom and will be held accountable,” it said in a statement.

(writing by Marius Zaharia; Editing by Christian Schmollinger, Robert Birsel)

Media

Public Advisory: Update on Provincial Alert Level; Minister Haggie Available to Media – News Releases – Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

Published

 on


Based on the current epidemiology of the province, the Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Janice Fitzgerald, advises that the province will remain in the modified Alert Level 4 until at least January 24, 2022. A further assessment on the province’s Alert Level will be made at that time.

The Honourable John Haggie, Minister of Health and Community Services, will hold a media availability today (Monday, January 17) at 2:30 p.m. to discuss Alert Levels.

The availability will be live-streamed on the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Facebook and Twitter accounts and on YouTube. All media covering the availability will join by Zoom only. To participate, please RSVP to Jillian Hood (jillianhood@gov.nl.ca) who will provide the details.

Media planning to participate must join at 2:15 (NST) to be included on the availability.

– 30 –

Media contact
Nancy Hollett
Health and Community Services
709-729-6554, 327-7878
nancyhollett@gov.nl.ca

2022 01 17
12:50 pm

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Social media challenge supports late Betty White’s love for animals – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


Hollywood icon Betty White would’ve been 100 years old today.

To honour the Golden Girls star’s support for animal advocacy, people around the globe are celebrating the Betty White Challenge — recognizing what would’ve been a milestone by contributing to White’s favourite cause.

Winnipeg Humane Society CEO Jessica Miller told 680 CJOB that White’s love for animals is something that shone through in many of the tributes the late actress received in recent weeks.


Actress Betty White (L) and Delilah (R) pose during the American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards 2013 held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, in Beverly Hills, Calif.


Ryan Miller / Getty Images

Read more:

Betty White died from stroke she suffered on Christmas Day, doctor says

“Loving animals is just such a sincere, true show of character, and Betty was certainly that. She was a very, very beloved advocate and animal lover,” said Miller.

“When this got brought to our attention, we thought, wow, that’s such a nice way to honour such a lovely lady. We decided we would accept donations but we wouldn’t technically ask for them.”

The challenge, spurred on by the social media hashtag #BettyWhiteChallenge, encourages fans to donate what they can to a local animal shelter on White’s birthday.

Miller said anyone wishing to donate on White’s behalf can do so online.

“We’ll see what happens throughout the day,” she said. “Whatever comes in for our animals is amazing.”


Click to play video: 'Social media challenge supports late Betty White’s love for animals'



0:59
Social media challenge supports late Betty White’s love for animals


Social media challenge supports late Betty White’s love for animals

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Media Release: HPEPH confirms first case of Influenza A in the region – Hastings Prince Edward Public Health

Published

 on


[unable to retrieve full-text content]

Media Release: HPEPH confirms first case of Influenza A in the region  Hastings Prince Edward Public Health



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending