Connect with us

Sports

Lightning sign forward Cristoval Nieves to one-year contract – Official site of the Tampa Bay Lightning

Published

 on


TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed forward Cristoval “Boo” Nieves to a one-year, two-way contract, vice president and general manager Julien BriseBois announced today.

Nieves, 26, skated in four games with the New York Rangers during the 2019-20 regular season, posting a +2 rating and four penalty minutes. He’s skated in 76 career NHL games, all with the Rangers over the past four seasons, recording five goals and 19 points to go along with 24 penalty minutes. He set career bests during the 2018-19 season for games played (43), goals (four), points (10) and game-winning goals (one). The Syracuse, NY native attended the Lightning 2021 training camp.

The 6-foot-3, 214-pound forward appeared in 43 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL last season, registering five goals and 27 points to go along with 16 penalty minutes. Nieves has skated in 147 career AHL games, all with the Wolf Pack over the past five seasons, tallying 24 goals and 79 points.

Nieves was originally drafted by the New York Rangers in the second round, 59th overall, at the 2012 NHL Draft.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Raptors waive centre Alex Len after seven games with team – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The Toronto Raptors have waived centre Alex Len after just seven games, the team announced Tuesday.

The bruising big man had fallen down the team’s depth chart at centre after signing the former fifth-overall pick to a one-year deal in the off-season.

Len — who’s also had stops in Sacramento and Atlanta after being drafted by Phoenix in 2013 — averaged 2.3 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.8 minutes for the Raptors.

The 27-year-old had missed the team’s last three games, the first for personal reasons and the latter two because he was in the NBA’s health and safety protocol.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Spain's Bautista Agut apologizes for comparing hotel for Aussie Open quarantine to jail – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut has apologized after criticizing the Victoria state government’s quarantine requirements for tennis players ahead of next month’s Australian Open and comparing being locked down in a hotel to being in prison.

Passengers who arrived on three charter flights have been placed into hard quarantine, including more than 70 players who are unable to train outside their rooms for 14 days before the year’s first Grand Slam starts on Feb. 8.

A number of top players, including world number one Novak Djokovic, have questioned the need for mandatory hotel quarantine but Victoria premier Daniel Andrews said it was essential to stop the spread of COVID-19.

“It’s like [being] in a jail,” Israeli television channel Sport 5 quoted world number 13 Bautista Agut as saying.

“It’s the same [as being in prison], but with Wifi. These people have no idea about tennis and about practice courts and it’s a complete disaster.

“The control of everything isn’t Tennis Australia, it’s with the government [and health officials].”

Bautista Agut, who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals in 2019, apologized for the comments in a post on Instagram, saying they had been made in a private conversation that was released to the media without his knowledge or consent.

“Both my coach and I are following protocols designed by the Australian Government and Tennis Australia to avoid any risk and guarantee to compete again in a safe way,” Bautista Agut added. 

“I thank all the people who are making playing tennis again possible.”

Making the best of a situation

Czech Barbora Strycova, a semi-finalist at Wimbledon in 2019, backed the strict health protocols and said she was getting on with it.

“I’m exercising twice a day, reading some books, being on social [media] and watching TV,” she told SEN Breakfast.

“I can’t really complain. I really have to go through it and try to be as positive as I can be.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Jets’ Laine to sit second straight game Tuesday vs. Senators – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The Winnipeg Jets will be without the services of sniper Patrik Laine on Tuesday for the second straight game as they open a three-game series versus the Ottawa Senators, per Sportsnet‘s Ken Wiebe.

Coach Paul Maurice told reporters Laine received treatment for his upper-body injury Tuesday morning, but he won’t be making any changes to his skaters from Monday’s 3-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Laine was previously listed as day-to-day.

Laurent Brossoit will get the start in net against the Senators, stepping in for reigning Vezina winner Connor Hellebuyck.

The Jets play at Ottawa on Tuesday and Thursday, before hosting the Senators on Saturday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending