Connect with us

Tech

Microsoft execs were once laughed out of a room after trying to buy Nintendo – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


For nearly two decades, there have been three main console hardware manufacturers: Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox.

However, there’s a world where there may have only been two major console makers if former executives at Microsoft had their way.

Speaking to Bloomberg as part of a larger oral history on the creation of the Xbox, Kevin Bachus, Microsoft’s former director of third-party relations, revealed that prior to the Xbox’s launch in 2001, the company had unsuccessfully tried to acquire Nintendo.

“Steve [Ballmer, Microsoft’s former CEO] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired,” said Bachus. “They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

Bachus also revealed that Microsoft had meetings with Electronic Arts, Midway Games and Square, which, evidently, didn’t pan out, either.

Elsewhere in Bloomberg‘s reporting, Bob McBreen, then head of Xbox business development, even said Microsoft tried to initiate a joint venture with Nintendo.

“The pitch was their hardware stunk, and compared to Sony PlayStation, it did,” said McBreen. “So the idea was, ‘Listen, you’re much better at the game portions of it with Mario and all that stuff. Why don’t you let us take care of the hardware?’ But it didn’t work out.”

While Microsoft and Nintendo have remained competitors ever since the companies have worked together in several prominent ways in recent years.

During the time in 2018 when Sony was against cross-play, Microsoft and Nintendo teamed up to promote the fact that those who played the former’s Minecraft game on either Xbox or Nintendo platforms could do so together online. Microsoft has also brought characters and other content from its Banjo-Kazooie and Minecraft franchises to Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Still, it makes you wonder how different the games industry would have been if Mario and Master Chief both belonged to Microsoft.

Image credit: The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon

Source: Bloomberg

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

List of second batch of devices getting OriginOS public beta released – gizmochina

Published

 on


Earlier this month, Vivo released an open beta version of OriginOS for 11 devices. It has now released the list of the second batch of devices that are eligible for the public beta.

The recruitment for the public beta will begin on January 25 according to the official OriginOS Weibo account and will run until January 27. The build will then be pushed to selected users on the 28th of January. Below is the list of devices:

OriginOS open beta 2nd batch

The update should bring not only a new user interface but also bring Android 11 to these devices.

EDITOR’S PICK: Vivo Y20G launched in India with Helio G80, 5,000mAh battery, Android 11, and more

OriginOS is a complete design change from Vivo’s other operating system, Funtouch OS. The homescreen is arranged in a Klotski Grid format and features tiny pop-up widgets called Nano Alerts that display details such as upcoming flights and package delivery status. Nano Alerts not only show up on the homescreen but also on Always-On Display.

The new operating system also has system enhancements that include memory and app optimizations, intelligent app freezing, and application preloading for a smooth and fast experience.

Vivo is yet to announce OrginOS for the international market. Its new phones for the international markets running Android 11 have Funtouch OS 11 pre-installed. If and when OriginOS gets a global realease, it will take a while before it is available as a stable update for eligible devices.

ALWAYS BE THE FIRST TO KNOW – FOLLOW US!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Streamer AverageHarry accuses Twitch of hypocrisy – TalkEsport

Published

 on


Streamer AverageHarry was handed a permanent ban after it was revealed that his account was created before the age of 13, following which Twitch was accused of hypocrisy as other streamers with similar accounts were treated differently.

Twitch has informed AverageHarry about the possibility of vacating his current account as he was 13 at the time of creation which is against their terms. Fast forward two years, he is 15 now which is insufficient for Twitch to let him have his way with the account, rather they asked him to recreate an account and start over which left him in tears as all the effort he put in for the past two years is about to go in vain.

The minimum criteria to make partner:

  • Complete the Path to Partner achievement to demonstrate large, engaged viewership/following on other services.
  • Broadcast content that conforms to our Community Guidelines, Terms of Service and DMCA Guidelines.
  • Those who complete Path to Partner should be able to maintain the criteria set forth in the achievement on a consistent basis.

However, the post did mention that these are the “minimum criteria” and that they look for more things in a streamer before they uplift them to Partner status from Affiliate. One of those things that Twitch looks for is the age that AverageHarry lacks.

After he was denied partnership, Twitch had already made him aware of this, but the controversy surfaced when it was revealed that another popular streamer in TommyInnit was given a different treatment given the fact his account was created when he was aged 11. A redditor pointed it out for us, while exposing the hypocrisy on the side of Twitch.

Now its up to Twitch to either make their platform fair for everyone or keep their reputation as tarnished as it is now. There is no doubt that Harry’s case was unfairly judged. With the recent information that came to light, Twitch are getting blasted by fans for the difference in their treatment, the most reasonable outcome would be return Harry his account and restructure their bylaws.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

New Microsoft advert claims the Surface Pro 7 is a better option than the MacBook Pro 13, including for gaming – Notebookcheck.net

Published

 on


With a recent price drop and new advert, Microsoft is pushing Surface Pro 7 sales. (Image Source: Own)
With a recent price drop and new advert, Microsoft is pushing Surface Pro 7 sales. (Image Source: Own)
Microsoft is heavily promoting the Surface Pro 7 with recent price drops now accompanied by a new advert comparing the Surface Pro 7 to the MacBook Pro 13 M1. The advert is done in a presentation style and shows why Microsoft thinks you should choose its 2-in-1 device over Apple’s laptop.
Views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author.

The reasoning is mostly around the Surface’s dual tablet/laptop nature and the use of Windows, which makes sense since this was the niche the Surface Pro line popularised after the release of Windows 8. We can’t deny that the inclusion of a touch screen and pen input adds value to how users interact with the device. There is also logic in the argument that the Surface Pro 7 can “run your favourite apps” since the x86 processor and Windows OS gives access to a vast library of modern and legacy software.

Where the advert veers off into murky territory is the claim that it’s a much better gaming device, presumably because of the massive catalogue of Windows games. This is also where the point Microsoft is making starts to fall apart too. Yes, the Surface Pro 7 has enough power to play older or lighter games, but its CPU and GPU performance is outclassed by the ARM-powered MacBook Pro 13 against which Microsoft is comparing it.

This gets us wondering whether Microsoft is even making the right comparison. The recent price drop shows that Microsoft is focusing on selling the Surface Pro 7 right now, but can they rightly compare a laptop to a 2-in-1 and then penalise the laptop for not having tablet features? We can’t help but think that Microsoft is avoiding the iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 2020 with Magic Keyboard because they share characteristics such as the touchscreen and pen/pencil input. The iPad is also an arguably better tablet gaming experience, as long as you aren’t trying to play the latest console/PC releases. The Surface Pro 7 and the iPad Pro are both creators devices, so Microsoft would have only had the operating system to promote as the main point of difference.

Perhaps the Surface Laptop 3 would have been a more appropriate comparison. The boxes are still ticked for touch screen and pen input, even if the awkward angle makes the pen useless for anything other than quick mark-up. Maybe Microsoft just needs to move some excess Surface Pro 7 stock before the announcement of the Surface Pro 8.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending