Connect with us

Health

Quebec reports 843 new cases, 12 additional deaths linked to COVID-19 – q107.com

Published

 on


Quebec is reporting 843 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Thanksgiving Monday as the pandemic continues.

The caseload now stands at 86,976. There are more than 72,000 recoveries from the respiratory illness.

The province also recorded 12 additional deaths linked to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. Authorities say four of those deaths occurred in the last 24 hours and eight occurred last week.

The health crisis has killed 5,965 Quebecers to date.

The number of hospitalizations jumped by 20. There are 457 patients in hospital as of Monday.

READ MORE: Canadians who missed work due to coronavirus can apply for new financial support

Of them, 75 people are in intensive care. That’s an increase of three from the previous day.

Health Minister Christian Dubé called on people to continue practising social distancing and abiding by public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.

“Together, we will break the wave,” he wrote on Twitter.

Quebec conducted 19,161 tests on Saturday, the latest day for which screening data is available. So far, 2,657,088 tests have been administered.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Peterborough Public Health holding virtual town hall meeting for parents – ThePeterboroughExaminer.com

Published

 on


Peterborough Public Health is inviting parents and caregivers to join a live online conversation with medical officer of health Dr. Rosana Salvaterra on Monday night when she will address frequently asked questions about preventing the spread of COVID-19 in schools.

The free online event will take place on Monday from 7 to 7:30 p.m. using Microsoft Teams.

Questions for Salvaterra can be submitted in advance by email at info@peterboroughpublichealth.ca by Friday at 4 p.m.

Salvaterra will give a 15-minute slide presentation at the online event addressing many of the questions she’s heard frequently from parents about how to curb the spread of COVID-19 at school.

Participants will also be able to ask questions on the spot, using the online chat function.

The event will be recorded and later posted to the health unit website’s school reopening page.

“It should be an informative event, and I shall introduce you to our amazing school health team,” Salvaterra said Wednesday during her virtual weekly briefing about the pandemic.

She also said during that press conference that there were no institutional outbreaks as of Wednesday in Peterborough (including in schools).

“This is very impressive, considering how far into the school year we now are,” Salvaterra said.

Registration information is available on Eventbrite at eventbrite.ca/e/schools-covid-19-virtual-live-presentation-for-parents-tickets-126130747461

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

joelle.kovach@peterboroughdaily.com

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

NB Reports Fourth Death Related To Covid-19 – Huddle – Huddle Today

Published

 on


FREDERICTON – New Brunswick health officials reported the province’s fourth death related to the Covid-19 pandemic on Wednesday.

The province said a person in their 70s died Wednesday in Zone 5 (Campbellton region) from “underlying complications, including Covid-19.”

“The loss of another person in our province related to Covid-19 is not news we ever want to have to share,” said Premier Blaine Higgs in a news release.

“I, along with all New Brunswickers, send sincere condolences to the family and friends of this individual, as well as to everyone who continues to be impacted by the recent outbreaks.”

The announcement comes just three days after the province recorded its third death related to Covid-19 on Sunday. The person in their 60s lived at the Notre Dame Manor special care home in Moncton.

Health officials also reported six new cases of Covid-19 and eight more recoveries on Wednesday for a total of 92 active cases.

All of the new cases are in Zone 5 and remain under investigation, said the province. They include one person under 19, one person in their 30s, two people in their 40s, one person in their 50s, and one person in their 60s.

Five people are currently in the hospital, including one person in intensive care.

“It has been difficult to witness the unfolding outbreak in the Campbellton-Restigouche region,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province’s chief medical officer of health, in a statement.

Zone 1 (Moncton region) and Zone 5 remain at the Orange level under the province’s Covid-19 recovery plan.

It is anticipated that Zone 1 will return to the Yellow level on Friday while Zone 5 will remain at the Orange level.

Brad Perry is the news director with Country 94/97.3 The Wave, a Huddle content partner.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto declares COVID-19 outbreak among ER staff – Sudbury.com

Published

 on


TORONTO — Another hospital in downtown Toronto has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 among its staff.

Unity Health says there are five active coronavirus cases among emergency room staff at St. Michael’s Hospital.

In a statement Tuesday evening, the health network says “no patient cases have been identified to date” and the risk of patient exposure is low.

However, it recommends anyone who visited the ER at St. Michael’s within the last two weeks to self-monitor.

The hospital is one of four in Toronto that have declared COVID-19 outbreaks in recent days.

The others are St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto Western Hospital and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 21, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending