WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A hacking campaign that used a U.S. tech company as a springboard to compromise a raft of U.S. government agencies is “the largest and most sophisticated attack the world has ever seen,” Microsoft Corp President Brad Smith said.
The operation, which was identified in December and that the U.S. government has said was likely orchestrated by Russia, breached software made by SolarWinds Corp, giving hackers access to thousands of companies and government offices that used its products.
The hackers got access to emails at the U.S. Treasury, Justice and Commerce departments and other agencies.
Cybersecurity experts have said it could take months to identify the compromised systems and expel the hackers.
“I think from a software engineering perspective, it’s probably fair to say that this is the largest and most sophisticated attack the world has ever seen,” Smith said during an interview that aired on Sunday on the CBS program “60 Minutes.”
The breach could have compromised up to 18,000 SolarWinds customers that used the company’s Orion network monitoring software, and likely relied on hundreds of engineers.
“When we analyzed everything that we saw at Microsoft, we asked ourselves how many engineers have probably worked on these attacks. And the answer we came to was, well, certainly more than 1,000,” Smith said.
U.S. intelligence services said last month that Russia was “likely” behind the SolarWinds breach, which they said appeared to be aimed at collecting intelligence rather than destructive acts.
Russia has denied responsibility for the hacking campaign.
(Reporting by Brad Heath; Editing by Heather Timmons and Peter Cooney)
Quebec reports 749 new COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths as province expands vaccine access – The Daily Courier
Quebec continued to escalate its vaccination drive over the weekend, reporting Saturday that the past 24 hours had seen it deliver a single-day high of nearly 20,000 shots to its growing list of eligible residents.
The 19,865 jabs administered on Friday mark the most the province has reported in a single day and come as vaccine shipments ramp up across Canada following numerous international shipment delays.
To date, provincial figures show 532,012 doses of vaccine have been administered out of a total of 638,445 received from the federal government.
Provincial health minister Christian Dube highlighted the upward trend in a tweet on Saturday.
“Vaccinations have [increased] over the last few days and will continue to [increase], with other regions in addition to Montreal beginning mass vaccination next week,” Dube wrote.
Until recently, Quebec has concentrated its vaccination effort on particular groups such as health-care workers, people living in remote regions and seniors in long-term care facilities.
The government began allowing members of the general public to schedule appointments to receive their vaccines recently, with eligibility varying by region. In Montreal and Laval, for example, people over the age of 70 can book appointments, while slots are restricted to people over 80 in other regions.
More regions are scheduled to expand vaccine access to those in different age groups starting next week.
In addition to the vaccine numbers, Quebec reported 749 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday along with 10 new deaths linked to the virus.
Hospitalizations across the province declined by 16 to 601 over the past 24 hours, while the number of patients in intensive care declined by two to 109.
Quebec’s case numbers have stabilized in recent weeks, prompting officials to relax restrictions in some regions.
Starting on March 8, areas such as Estrie and Capitale-Nationale will be designated as “orange zones,” meaning the provincewide curfew will be extended until 9:30 p.m. rather than 8 p.m. More businesses, including restaurants, will also be allowed to open at limited capacity.
Quebec premier Francois Legault has said that Montreal and the surrounding areas will not see any imminent changes in public health restrictions, warning that more contagious variants of the virus could prompt a sharp uptick in the number of cases in the region.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 6, 2021.
Functioning cellphone returned to owner after nearly 6 months at bottom of Harrison Lake – CBC.ca
Fatemeh Ghodsi was skeptical at first when she got a text from someone saying they found her phone nearly six months after she lost it in Harrison Lake.
Ghodsi, who lives in Vancouver, was confused and thought one of her friends might be playing a prank on her. But she was soon convinced and made the trip to Chilliwack to collect the phone, which amazingly still works.
Clayton Helkenberg and his wife Heather found the lost iPhone 11 during a sweep of the lake bottom under the water park at Harrison Lake — part of a hobby that includes the odd treasure find, but mostly just lots of garbage clean up.
Ghodsi dropped the phone in the water in early September, during a ride on the bumper boats — photos recovered from the phone show her still smiling moments before the mishap.
“I was in a situation where I kind of lost balance and dropped it in the water,” she said, adding that the water park staff convinced her it would be impossible to find the phone in the deep water.
“Distressed and in tears, we went back to Vancouver just kind of hopeless,” said Ghodsi.
She soon bought a new phone, and came to terms with the lost photos, contacts, and other personal information that hadn’t been backed up.
Helkenberg has been snorkeling, swimming and diving for years, but at the start of 2020 — with extra time on his hands after being laid off — he started putting more effort into searching for lost items in the water, as well as doing trash cleanup missions.
Sometime he goes on his diving missions with friends and his wife. He even started a YouTube channel to document his finds.
Last year, he found more than a hundred pairs of sunglasses, 26 cellphones and two GoPro cameras. This year, he’s already counted 35 pairs of sunglasses, five phones and one GoPro.
His underwater work has even attracted some media attention, including a report of 359 kilograms of trash he and friends pulled from Cultus Lake earlier this year.
This week, he was at Harrison Lake — the water is much shallower now than it was in the summer, and according to Helkenberg, it’s quite clear. He found a severely damaged flip phone, but Heather Helkenberg noticed Ghodsi’s iPhone.
‘It just turned right on’
Clayton Helkenberg said he usually puts phones in a container of silica to dry them out, but he’s had good luck with iPhone 11s.
“I took it home, cleaned the dirt off of it and it just turned right on, so it was pretty amazing,” he said.
He pulled out the SIM card, put it in another phone to figure out the phone number and got in touch with Ghodsi.
“I was in complete shock, initially to start with. It was kind of like a zombie phone coming back to me, because I’d totally made peace with it being gone,” she said.
Ghodsi said the microphone is broken and the speaker sounds weird, but everything else is in perfect shape; the battery health is still at 96 per cent.
She’s thankful for the phone’s recovery and inspired that Helkenberg makes the effort to reunite people with lost valuables, asking nothing in return. But the experience has left Ghodsi even more impressed by his trash cleanup work, saying it’s a reminder to keep our water clean.
“It gives me so much hope for the good that’s out there,” she said.
As for the next time she takes a ride on the bumper boats? Ghodsi said she’ll either leave her phone and valuables on the shore or keep them securely stowed in a pocket.
Do you have more to add to this story? Email email@example.com
Follow Rafferty Baker on Twitter: @raffertybaker
Watch: Elon Musk's SpaceX Starship Lands, Then Explodes – NDTV
Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s newest and biggest rocket pulled off its first successful landing, then exploded a brief time later and was engulfed by fire.
The Starship SN-10 prototype lifted off from SpaceX’s seaside launch pad at about 5:15 p.m. in Boca Chica, Texas, on Wednesday, based on a live video stream on SpaceX’s website. The rocket then flew to an altitude of about 10 kilometers (around 6 miles) before turning its engines back on and settling on the landing pad with a slight lean.
Shortly after that, the rocket was lifted into the air by an explosion and consumed by flames, possibly after a fire ignited fuel. Until that point, the rocket appeared to achieve a key milestone with its first stable landing in three attempts. After its ascent, Starship shut off its three Raptor engines and performed a controlled “belly flop” descent, then reignited its engines to make a vertical landing.
Starship SN10’s post landing demise is unfortunate but still, everyone at SpaceX can chalk todays flight test up as a huge success. Become a patron at the link below for photo downloads, behind the scenes goodies, and more. @NASASpaceflight
— Jack Beyer (@thejackbeyer) March 4, 2021
Despite the mishap, the test is likely to signal progress for the massive vehicle. An earlier Starship rocket slammed to the ground on the program’s first high-altitude flight Dec. 9, igniting a fireball, followed by a similar outcome with a second prototype last month. No one was hurt in the mishaps, and there were no reports of injuries from the fire after the latest flight, which was the third high-altitude test.
SpaceX founder Elon Musk plans to use the Starship to shuttle as many as 12 people around the moon in 2023, land NASA astronauts on the lunar surface and eventually settle explorers on Mars. The company still has work to prepare the Starship for its first orbital flight, which could occur later this year.
“I’m highly confident that we will have reached orbit many times with Starship before 2023, and that it will be safe enough for human transport by 2023,” Musk said Tuesday in a video released by Japanese entrepreneur Yusaku Maezawa, who has invited eight people to apply to join his “fun trip” around the moon. “It’s looking very, very promising.”
SpaceX conceived the stainless steel Starship as a versatile, fully reusable craft that can carry 100 metric tons for deep-space missions to the moon and Mars. It’s also designed to serve as a hypersonic, point-to-point vehicle to reduce travel times across Earth.
Excluding a heavy booster that creates a two-stage system, Starship is 160 feet (49 meters) high with a 30-foot diameter, and able to carry as many as 100 passengers.
Musk said in October that he’s 80% to 90% confident that Starship will be ready for an orbital flight this year. SpaceX, based in Hawthorne, California, plans to fly multiple Starship prototypes from its Texas launch site near the U.S.-Mexico border.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Canada's COVID-19 Immunity Task Force co-chair explains why she now backs 2nd dose delay – CBC.ca
Large hits three-run homer, Jays beat Phillies – TSN
Quebec reports 749 new COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths as province expands vaccine access – CityNews Montreal
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
Tech22 hours ago
BC First Nation ‘outraged’ after Green MLA reveals COVID-19 outbreak
Economy22 hours ago
Canada’s Ivey PMI climbs to six-month high as employment improves
News23 hours ago
One-on-one with Dr. Bonnie Henry: Where she thinks Canada stands in the fight against COVID-19 – CTV News
Economy16 hours ago
What China’s Falling Birthrate Means for Its Economy – Barron's
Sports22 hours ago
Philipp Kurashev scores in shootout as Blackhawks beat Lightning – Sportsnet.ca
Politics15 hours ago
Europe’s Vaccine Struggle Will Change Its Politics – Forbes
Health19 hours ago
BC nears 300000 COVID-19 vaccinations, essential workers next – Maple Ridge News – Maple Ridge News
News13 hours ago
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday – CBC.ca