Connect with us

Sports

The Heartbreaking Reason Kobe Bryant Used Private Helicopters – Showbiz Cheat Sheet

Published

 on


Kobe Bryant tragically passed away at the age of 41 on Sunday, Jan. 26. He had been on his way to a basketball tournament with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna when their helicopter crashed and caught fire on a hillside. Gianna died with her father in the accident that also claimed the lives of seven others.

The news of Bryant’s death stunned the world. But what makes it even more shocking and heartbreaking is the reason Bryant began relying on helicopters in the first place.

Kobe Bryant at an event in 2017
Kobe Bryant at an event in 2017 | Harry How/Getty Images

Why Kobe Bryant relied on private helicopters

In a 2018 interview on the Barstool Sports podcast The Corp with A-Rod and Big Cat, Bryant detailed his reason for using helicopters. He said he flew them around the Los Angeles area so he could maximize his time with his four daughters and spend less of it in the notorious L.A. traffic.

His schedule had become really busy when he played for the Los Angeles Lakers, but he found that using helicopters to commute to and from practice shaved off time and allowed him to drop off and pick up his kids from school.

“Traffic started getting really, really bad,” Bryant said. “And I was sitting in traffic and I wound up missing like a school play because I was sitting in traffic and these things kept mounting. I had to figure out a way where I could still train and focus on the craft but still not compromise family time.”

“So that’s when I looked into helicopters, to be able to get down and back in 15 minutes and that’s when it started,” he continued.

Bryant added that his wife, Vanessa, offered to pick the kids up, but he refused. “I’m like, ‘No, no, no, I want to do that,’ because, like, you have road trips and times where you don’t see your kids, you know,” he added. “So every chance I get to see them and spend time with them, even if it’s 20 minutes in a car, like, I want that.”

[embedded content]

Bryant speaks on his use of helicopters around the 36:30 mark

Kobe Bryant also told GQ that helicopters helped him in his career

Bryant also talked about his use of helicopters in a 2010 interview with GQ. According to writer J. R. Moehringer, Bryant told him that choppers helped him feel “fresh” on the court and kept him in shape. An excerpt from the profile piece reads:

“But sexy as it might seem, Bryant says the helicopter is just another tool for maintaining his body. It’s no different than his weights or his whirlpool tubs or his custom-made Nikes. Given his broken finger, his fragile knees, his sore back and achy feet, not to mention his chronic agita, Bryant can’t sit in a car for two hours. The helicopter, therefore, ensures that he gets to Staples Center feeling fresh, that his body is warm and loose and fluid as mercury when he steps onto the court.”

Bryant went on to retire in 2016 after spending his entire 20-season career with the Los Angeles Lakers. He was just settling into the next phase in his life when he died tragically in the helicopter crash.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Penny Oleksiak back to lead Canada in Tokyo pool

Published

 on

Penny Oleksiak, the first Canadian to win four medals at a Summer Olympics, will lead a Canadian swimming team eager to build on their efforts in Rio de Janeiro at next month’s Tokyo Games.

Swimming Canada unveiled a 26-member squad (16 women, 10 men) on Thursday that is a mix of experience and youth that officials hope is capable of improving on the six medals won in Rio, the country’s best haul in the pool since the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

“I think the mix of veteran leaders and new faces is awesome,” said Kylie Masse, a bronze medallist in the 100 metres backstroke in Rio and one of 10 returning Olympians. “That’s kind of how sport works, there are always older and younger athletes, and it’s a great dynamic to have.”

Leading the charge at the 2016 Rio Games was Oleksiak, who became Canada’s youngest Olympic champion winning gold in the 100m freestyle as a 16-year-old, while also grabbing silver in the 100m butterfly and two relay bronze.

The stage is set for a new star to emerge in Tokyo in 14-year-old Summer McIntosh, who edged Oleksiak in the 200m freestyle at the trials and breezed to victory in the 800m free.

At the other end of the experience and age spectrum is 37-year-old Brent Hayden, who came out of retirement to earn a spot on his fourth Olympic team, becoming the oldest Canadian Olympic swimmer in history.

Bronze medallist in the 100m freestyle at the 2012 London Olympics, Hayden clinched his spot with a win in the 50m freestyle at the Canadian trials that wrapped up on Wednesday.

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto. Editing by Toby Davis)

Continue Reading

Sports

Sinclair to lead Canadian women’s team in her fourth Olympics

Published

 on

Christine Sinclair, the all-time international goal-scoring record holder, was named to her fourth Olympic squad on Wednesday and will headline a Canadian roster at the Tokyo Games that features a mix of veterans and youth.

Led by Sinclair, whose 186 goals for her country are the most by a female or male soccer player worldwide, Canada won medals at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and was the only nation to make the podium in both competitions.

“I am looking forward to doing whatever I can to help take this team back to the podium and make history again,” said Canadian captain Sinclair. “Our team is in a good spot, we are excited, we are hungry and we are ready to go.”

The 18-player roster features 12 members of the squad that competed at the 2016 Rio Games while a quintet including Vanessa Gilles, Jayde Riviere, Julia Grosso, Adriana Leon, and Evelyne Viens will be making their Olympic debuts.

Goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan travelled to Rio in 2016 as an alternate.

Canada will kick off their Tokyo 2020 journey when they face Japan on July 21 and continue Group E play against Chile on July 24 and Britain on July 27.

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto, editing by Ed Osmond)

Continue Reading

Sports

Which of the Canadians Picked in the 2021 NFL Draft Will Thrive This Season?

Published

 on

It was a good NFL Draft for Canadian players in 2021.

Some four stars from north of the border were selected by NFL franchises in the free agency pick ‘em, and that is tied as the highest number of Canadians drafted in the 85-year history of the event.

Of course, the hope is that these young talents are more than just filler and roster depth, but can any of the quartet make the breakthrough into the big time?

Here’s a look at which of the NFL’s newest Canadian additions can shine in 2021/22.

Jevon Holland

The defensive back was the number 36 pick in the Draft by the Miami Dolphins, who beat off a number of rivals in the hunt for the Coquitlam native.

A versatile defender, Holland is a former Jim Thorpe Award semi-finalist thanks to his exploits in the NCAA back in 2019 with the University of Oregon.

He sat out the 2020 campaign, but representatives from dozens of NFL teams were in town to watch Holland go through his paces at the Oregon Pro Day.

The 21-year-old is following in the footsteps of his father Robert, who turned out for the Detroit Lions, and he is expected to force his way into the starting line-up at the Dolphins. And, who knows, maybe Holland could go all the way in his first season, with Miami priced at +2500 in the Super Bowl 2022 American football odds.

Benjamin St-Juste

When you’re six foot three, 205 pounds and still able to run 40 yards in 4.51 seconds, it goes without saying that you have the physical credentials to succeed in the NFL.

Benjamin St-Juste is the man that can, and he will bolster the roster at a Washington Football Team that will be looking to improve upon their playoff showing in 2020.

The 23-year-old may only have been a third-round pick, but he comes with a burgeoning reputation thanks to a successful time at the University of Minnesota. An All-Big Ten special mention in 2019, more than 50 NFL recruitment personnel attended the college’s pro day – largely to catch a glimpse of St-Juste going through his paces.

Both Brian Gutekunst and Jon Robinson made the trip but, in the end, it was Washington who snapped up the powerhouse from the Draft.

Chuba Hubbard

The third Canadian to be drafted in 2021 was Chuba Hubbard, who became the first Canadian running back to be selected from the Draft in 25 years.

It’s the Carolina Panthers who have taken a chance on the 22-year-old and with his credentials, you can see why. Hubbard finished eighth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy in 2019 after a stellar campaign – he served up 2,094 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns, an NCAA best. He was named the Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Year.

While running backs are not the hottest of properties in the Draft, Hubbard provably has the talent to cross into the end zone with regularity – the Panthers might just have got their hands on an unheralded gem here.

With these three Canadians taking the step up to the NFL, the future of the sport north of the border looks in safe hands.

Continue Reading

Trending