Connect with us

Tech

United cancels some Barcelona flights, waives cancellation fees as coronavirus derails Mobile World Congress – CNBC

Published

on


United Airlines planes, including a Boeing 737 MAX 9 model, are pictured at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas, March 18, 2019.

Loren Elliott | Reuters

Coronavirus isn’t just hitting China travel. Barcelona trips are also feeling the impact.

United Airlines on Thursday said it will scale back its flights to Barcelona after the Mobile World Congress — the world’s largest telecommunications trade show — was canceled because of the virus. The annual event, which was scheduled for later this month, drew some 100,000 people last year.

The carrier had built up service for the event, adding two nonstops and using larger aircraft. It’s part of a trend among airlines to chase customers willing to pay high prices for special conferences such as the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, political events and sports, with additional, targeted service.

United said it would provide a full refund to travelers who don’t want to travel to Barcelona because the event was canceled and that it will waive cancellation fees.

United had added four round-trips between San Francisco and Barcelona for the event, and it will cancel two of them — leaving on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27 — and use smaller aircraft for the others. It will also use smaller planes on routes from San Francisco and Newark to Barcelona than it had previously planned.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

News You Might've Missed on 8/13/20: Epic Games Sues Apple, New Hitman 3 VR Details, & More – The Escapist

Published

on


It’s almost the weekend, folks, and we’ve got lots of video game news to hold us over until then. The biggest story involves Apple removing Fortnite from the App Store — and Epic Games subsequently filing suit. We also got a new look at Hitman 3‘s VR mode and more. Here’s the video game news you might’ve missed on Aug. 13, 2020.

Fortnite Has Been Removed from the App Store, and Epic Games Is Suing Fortnite

Apple has removed Fortnite from the App Store due to Epic Games implementing its own in-app purchase system. Epic did this to bypass Apple’s own system, which takes a 30% cut of all purchases.

Epic’s new system featured permanent price drops of up to 20% to incentivize players to use it instead of Apple’s system, though the consequence is that players on iOS are now unable to download Fortnite. Apple committed to working on resolving the issue with Epic but noted that a “special arrangement” would not be made. Epic has referred to the App Store as a “monopoly” and defends its decision.

In fact, in a move that was clearly orchestrated far in advance, Epic Games has filed a lawsuit against Apple over the discrepancy and released a video (below), “Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite,” parodying the iconic “1984” Apple commercial and mocking the company’s current business practices. This is surely only the beginning.

Read More: Apple just kicked Fortnite off the App Store

Nintendo eShop Sale Has Discounts on Mortal Kombat 11, Aladdin and The Lion King, and Jackbox Games

In lighter news, you can hop on your Nintendo Switch right now to take advantage of some sweet deals, including discounts on numerous Jackbox Party Pack games, as well as Mortal Kombat 11, which is available for $19.99. You’ll also find a discount on Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King, available for $17.99. Many of the eShop’s current sales are good for a couple weeks, so you’ve got some time if you want to save.

Read More: Sales & Deals

Mortal Shell Will Get a Physical Edition Due to “the Number of Requests”

Upcoming action RPG Mortal Shell has garnered a lot of hype — so much so that it will be coming out in physical format after the game’s initial release on digital storefronts. This game closely mirrors the Souls series, focusing on combat and fantasy themes. The plan had originally been to release digitally only, but due to “the number of requests for a physical release,” publisher Playstack will be releasing hard copies on Oct. 2, 2020. If you can’t wait, you can download it digitally on Aug. 18 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Microsoft Considered Launching Halo Infinite in Multiple Parts Prior to Its Delay

While on Gary Whitta’s Animal Talking show, Microsoft’s Phil Spencer discussed some intriguing points about what could have happened with Halo Infinite. Spencer revealed that Microsoft considered releasing Infinite in multiple parts, but that it ultimately “didn’t feel, to all of us, like the Halo release that we would want.”

The decision to delay it was not taken lightly, and as Spencer explained, the team was “disappointed” by the delay but is committed to delivering a “great game” in 2021. Spencer dove into more on the future of Xbox and other interesting tidbits. And can we just stop for a second to appreciate that the head of Xbox was interviewed from within Animal Crossing: New Horizons? What a time to be alive. The full interview can be seen below.

[embedded content]

Read More: Halo Infinite could have been split up into separate parts, Phil Spencer reveals

Hitman 3 Developer Insights Video Dives Deep into VR Features

Today, IO Interactive released a video (below) that detailed some of the new features you can expect with Hitman 3‘s VR integration. In it, we got to see more footage of the game running in VR and it’s still a mind-boggling sight. Agent 47 sneaks up on an unsuspecting victim and taps them on the shoulder, before taking them out — all in first-person VR.

Enemies will apparently react to your movements in a much more realistic way this time around. The benefits of being in VR will be depicted in its immersion, but the change from third- to first-person will also alter the way you play. Hitman 3 is due out on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PC, and Stadia in January 2021.

[embedded content]

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Spotify Issues Statement in Support of Epic Games – iClarified

Published

on


Spotify has issued a statement applauding Epic Games for taking a stand against Apple. The statement was provided to Recode Media host Peter Kafka.

“We applaud Epic Games’ decision to take a stand against Apple and shed further light on Apple’s abuse of its dominant position. Apple’s unfair practices have disadvantaged competitors and deprived consumers for far too long. The stakes for consumers and app developers large and small couldn’t be higher and ensuring that the iOS platform operates competitively and fairly is an urgent task with far-reaching implications.”

Yesterday, Epic Games launched a direct payment feature in Fortnight that saved users 20% but didn’t give Apple 30% of its revenue. Apple promptly pulled the app from the App Store; however, the company was expecting this response and was ready with a lawsuit accusing Apple of anti-competitive restraints and monopolistic practices. A similar scenario played out with Google and the Play Store but it’s possible to sideload Fortnight on Android so the impact to users isn’t as severe.

Epic Games also launched a #FreeFortnite campaign against Apple, complete with a video calling for users to join the fight to stop 2020 form becoming ‘1984’. Notably, Spotify already has a video and a website dedicated to its fight against Apple. The EU recently announced a formal antitrust investigation into Apple following its complaint.

It’s likely that Epic Games will have support for its lawsuit from Microsoft and Facebook. Both companies have publicly spoken out against Apple this month for refusing to allow their cloud gaming apps on iOS.

Please download the iClarified app or follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and RSS for updates.

[embedded content]


Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

PewDiePie wins hilarious bet against Dr Disrespect in Fall Guys showdown – Dexerto

Published

on


Popular streamer Dr Disrespect was hilariously forced into a bet by Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg after losing to the Swede in their Fall Guys showdown broadcast on August 14.

Dr Disrespect made his return to streaming on August 7 with a broadcast that pulled in over 520k viewers. The Two-Time Champion made his comeback on YouTube in a massive way.

Advertisement

To celebrate his new home, the star collaborated with the platform’s biggest individual content creator PewDiePie for an epic showdown in the party battle royale Fall Guys.

YouTube: Dr Disrespect

The pair brawled it out in Fall Guys.

PewDiePie defends his YouTube crown against Dr Disrespect

To finish out his first full week on YouTube, Dr Disrespect challenged PewDiePie to a showdown in Fall Guys. Combined, the two stars brought in over 340k viewers who tuned in to watch them duke it out in the battle royale.

Advertisement

While Doc got off to a rocky start in their best of five contests, the streamer became neck and neck with the Swedish creator. However, his attempt to troll Pewds by grabbing onto him backfired which resulted in him getting eliminated.

The Two-Time hilariously jumped up and yelled after his aggressive move didn’t pan out the way he intended. “No! No! Noooo!” he screamed. PewDiePie jokingly asked “What happened?” after he won the round.

[embedded content]

While being down at the half way point, Doc addressed his fans in an epic locker room speech. “How are we losing, Champions Club? Huh? To this guy all the way in Sweden who drives in a Volvo and takes him seven hours to go to the liquor store?”

Advertisement

[embedded content]

Pewds ended up coming out victorious in the end, narrowly beating the 38-year-old 5–3 in the final round. To punish the popular streamer, the Swede made him watch his most disliked video on his channel.

In 2016, Kjellberg went viral when he asked his fans to push him to a million dislikes. Watching the video, Dr Disrespect joked, “I am so glad we joined YouTube!” Laughing, the YouTuber replied, “Right? This is what is ahead of you! If you need any tips, I got you.”

[embedded content]

Despite winning, PewDiePie congratulated his friend on his return to streaming and said that he was “excited” for him to be on YouTube. Dr Disrespect then suggested they do an IRL stream together in the future, which the 30-year-old agreed to.

Advertisement

The two gaming giants pulled off an entertaining show that brought both of their massive audiences together. The stream even saw the Two-Time having to learn about the Floor Gang meme. Whenever the personalties decide to collaborate again, it’s sure to be a must-watch event.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending