Connect with us

Business

Canada signs deals with two suppliers for potential COVID-19 vaccines – National Post

Published

on


Article content

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government has signed agreements with two more American suppliers to reserve millions of doses of their experimental COVID-19 vaccines for Canadians.

Deals are now in place for Canada to get access to vaccines being tested by both Johnson & Johnson and Novovax.

Earlier this month Ottawa signed similar deals with Pfizer and Moderna.

The vaccines are still in either Phase 2 or 3 clinical trials and won’t be purchased unless they are deemed safe and effective by Health Canada.

Trudeau says the vaccines all show promising results and Canada is signing multiple deals to be sure when a vaccine is approved Canadians can get access to it.

The government says some of the doses of whatever vaccine is approved may be produced at a new biomanufacturing facility at the Human Health Therapeutics Research Centre in Montreal.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 31, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

'A heartbreak': Ranchman's searching for new owner amid COVID-19 pandemic – Calgary Herald

Published

on


Article content continued

“With everything happening and the Calgary downtown being almost completely empty, it’s created sort of the perfect storm for restaurant killing and hospitality killing.”

Ranchman’s has been synonymous with Calgary cowboy culture for nearly 50 years after it first opened its doors April 27, 1972.

The country nightclub was a popular spot during the Calgary Stampede and throughout the rest of the year, being named the “Country Club of the Year” by the Canadian Country Music Association 11 times.

The venue temporarily shut its doors due to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 17, and it has remained closed since. Nightclubs such as Ranchman’s are not permitted to reopen until Stage 3 of Alberta’s relaunch, and public-health officials have said there is currently no timeline for when that might happen.

The bar was founded by Harris Dvorkin and Kevin Baker but ownership traded hands in 2017, following Dvorkin’s death. Calgary bar scene mainstay Doug Rasberry purchased the property alongside a group of local business owners.

Members of the Ranchman’s ownership group did not respond to numerous requests for comment from Postmedia.

Campbell said owners were only talking to “a select few people” about the situation.

“This was a heartbreak for him. Doug (Rasberry) was the first guy, when I took Ranchman’s to the market three and a half years ago, Doug lit up like a kid at Christmas. He was so excited to have an opportunity to take this history on,” he said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Calgary’s famous Ranchman’s country bar up for lease; iconic rafter saddles seized by bank – Global News

Published

on


Ranchman’s Cookhouse and Dancehall in Calgary, a country bar known for its rafter saddles and mechanical bull, is up for lease.

The building that hosts the bar, at 9615 Macleod Trail S.E, has been listed publicly for the first time in its history.

The real estate company running the lease told Global News that the building is available after the current owners terminated their lease due to COVID-19 economic struggles.

It had initially been taken over by new owners in 2017 — when the former owners sold the business, but kept ownership of the building itself.

Read more:
Ranchman’s new owners to preserve iconic Calgary restaurant, cowboy culture

Story continues below advertisement

One concern is the iconic saddles that hang in the rafters have been seized by the bank, said realtor Rob Campbell.

Even though they don’t belong to the business owner, they’re being considered assets and are in the process of being seized.

Campbell said he’s received many calls with concerns from local members of the rodeo community over the loss of the history.


Ranchman’s Cookhouse & Dancehall.


Global News

Ranchman’s opened in 1972, nearly 50 years ago.

It closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 17 and has not reopened.

Read more:
Consumers left with worthless passes and gift cards following COVID-19 business closures

Nightclubs are part of Stage 3 of Alberta’s relaunch and are not permitted to be open in the province yet.

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

20 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Saskatchewan push provincial total past 1,800 – CBC.ca

Published

on



The number of COVID-19 cases recorded in Saskatchewan continues to climb.

On Sunday, the province recorded 20 new cases, bringing the provincial total to 1,807. 

Of the new cases, 10 are in Regina, seven are in Saskatoon and two are located in the South East zones. The location of one more case is pending. 

The province indicated the seven new cases in Saskatoon are linked to the outbreak at Brandt Industries, where a total of 14 cases have been linked to the workplace. The Government of Saskatchewan indicates investigation has shown this outbreak may be linked to out-of-province travel.

This is the third day in a row the province has recorded double-digit increases. On Friday, the province recorded 19 new cases and 11 new cases on Saturday. 

Of the province’s 1,807 total cases, 140 are considered active and 1,642 are considered recovered. Twenty-seven of the 140 active cases are in communal living settings. 

The number of people in hospital has remained static at 10.

Active cases in Saskatchewan can be seen detailed in this graphic published by the Government of Saskatchewan as part of it’s daily COVID-19 updates. On Sunday, the province had annouced it recorded 20 new cases, bringing the provincial total to 1,807. (Supplied/Government of Saskatchewan)

According to the province’s daily update, nine people are receiving inpatient care and one is in intensive care. Seven of those patients are in Saskatoon, one is in Regina and another is in the South Central zone. The intensive care patient is currently receiving treatment in Saskatoon. 

Drive-thru testing in Regina will also be expanded and will now be available on Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. When the drive-thru testing launched, it was originally open on Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays. 

Hours at the drive-thru testing site in Saskatoon have gone unchanged. 

So far, the province has conducted a total of 171,945 COVID-19 tests, with 2,426 conducted on Saturday alone. The province also announced it reached an important milestone when it comes to testing over the weekend, as it set a testing record with 2,873 tests conducted Friday.

That’s compared to the province’s previous record of 2,129 tests performed Aug. 6, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending