Connect with us

Tech

Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Cyberpunk 2077 Publisher Lied and Misled Investors – Gizmodo

Published

 on


Photo: Philip Fong / AFP (Getty Images)

After Cyberpunk 2077 debuted to the world and set off a trash fire of rage and disappointment, the clock starting ticking. Many wondered when that anger would manifest itself into a lawsuit to take the game’s publisher, CD Projekt Red, to court. It happened on Christmas Eve.

Advertisement

On Thursday, the Rosen Law Firm filed a class action lawsuit in the central California district court on behalf of investor Andrew Trampe and others who bought CDPR securities—for example, stock—between Jan. 16 and Dec. 17 of this year. The company, joint CEO Adam Kicinski, CFO Piotr Nielubowicz, and vice president of business development Michał Nowakowski are all named as defendants. The firm alleges that the company either willfully omitted information and lied about the game’s development or acted with “reckless disregard for the truth,” which consequently inflated the market price of those securities.

These sorts of falsehoods all came to light when the game was finally launched on Dec. 10. Over the next few days, players began to realize that the game they had waited years for was basically unplayable, and the company’s stock plunged. As of this week, CDPR shares had dropped by 42% since their close on Dec. 4, according to Barron’s.

Advertisement

The unfolding of this disaster ultimately damaged CDPR’s investors, the Rosen Law Firm argues.

“Had Plaintiff and the other members of the Class been aware that the market price […] had been artificially and falsely inflated by the Company’s and the Individual Defendants’ misleading statements […], they would not have purchased the Company’s securities at the artificially inflated prices that they did, or at all,” the firm wrote in its court filing.

The lawsuit includes a long list of statements about the game’s development and launch from the company, which knowing what we know now, look pretty bad. According to the suit, the lies began on Jan. 16, when CDPR released a statement announcing that Cyberpunk 2077 was “complete and playable.” However, the release date would be moved from April 17 to Sept. 7 because the company “needed more time to finish playtesting, fixing and polishing.”

This was the first of many delays announced by the company. On Sept. 4, the suit cites a conference call where Kicinski stated that the company was preparing for final certification and that it was “very close.” On that call, Kicinski stated that the company was planning to launch the game on Nov. 19—another delay.

Advertisement

“[T]he current version, which will be released in November, will be playable from the beginning when next-gen consoles are released,” Kicinski said, per the suit. “[Y]ou will be able to play the current-gen version on next-gen from day 1.”

Again, he was wrong.

In hindsight, the craziest declarations probably came on a Nov. 25 call. Per the suit, with two weeks left to go until the game’s release, Kicinski said that the company believed “the game is performing great on every platform.” When asked about bugs, Kicinski acknowledged that there were some, but they were minimal enough not to get noticed by players.

Advertisement

As we all know, Kicinski would end up being wrong again—a point that was hammered home on a conference call in the days following Cyberpunk 2077’s release where Kicinski said the current-generation console versions of the game were way below the company’s expectations.

“After 3 delays, we as the Management Board were too focused on releasing the game. We underestimated the scale and complexity of the issues,” Kicinski said, according to the suit. “It was the wrong approach and against our business philosophy.”

Advertisement

The class action, which the suit states could have hundreds or thousands of affected parties, has not yet been certified, the Rosen Law Firm said in a press release. The firm is asking the court to approve the class action and is asking people who are interested in joining to contact it.

Gizmodo has reached out to CDPR and the Rosen Law Firm for a comment on the case. We’ll make sure to update this post if we hear back.

Advertisement

Since its release, Cyberpunk 2077 and CDPR have been tumbling from grace. Sony pulled the game from its online store and is offering full refunds to anyone who bought it via its store. Microsoft is offering refunds of its own. To its credit, CDPR has apologized and also came out and said it will refund unhappy players. Ironically, CDPR is back to its old habits, promising quick fixes and improvements to its busted product by a particular date.

“[W]e will fix bugs and crashes, and improve the overall experience,” the company said in a Twitter statement on Dec. 14. “The first round of updates has just been released and the next one is coming within the next 7 days. Expect more, as we will update frequently whenever new improvements are ready. After the holidays, we’ll continue working—we’ll release two large patches starting with Patch #1 in January. This will be followed by Patch #2 in February.”

Advertisement

Since that statement, the company has been releasing fixes. Yet, there’s still time left before the purported release of Patch #1 and Patch #2. We’ll see if the company keeps its word this time.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Signal app goes down amid peak user traffic – Daijiworld.com

Published

 on


New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS): The users of highly-encrypted Signal app faced trouble sending messages and the company said on Saturday that it was still working to bring additional capacity online to handle peak traffic levels.

The problem started late Friday and the company first acknowledged it may be due to technical difficulties.

Signal allows for secure and encrypted video, voice and text communication, but users were unable to send any messages.

“We have been adding new servers and extra capacity at a record pace every single day this week nonstop, but today exceeded even our most optimistic projections. Millions upon millions of new users are sending a message that privacy matters. We appreciate your patience,” it said in a series of tweets.

As WhatsApp started sending notifications to its users asking them to either accept its new policy or see their accounts removed from February 8, it came as a blessing in disguise for its rivals as Signal as it saw a massive flow of new users.

The rush led to extra burden on Signal servers.

“We are making progress towards getting the service back online. Privacy is our top priority, but adding capacity is a close second right now,” it said.

“We are still working as quickly as possible to bring additional capacity online to handle peak traffic levels”.

The encrypted messaging service has climbed to the top spot in the free apps category of the App Store in multiple countries, including India.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Signal app goes down amid peak user traffic – Gulf News

Published

 on


The Signal messaging app logo is seen on a smartphone.
Image Credit: REUTERS

New Delhi: The users of highly-encrypted Signal app faced trouble sending messages and the company said on Saturday that it was still working to bring additional capacity online to handle peak traffic levels.

The problem started late Friday and the company first acknowledged it may be due to technical difficulties.

Signal allows for secure and encrypted video, voice and text communication, but users were unable to send any messages.

“We have been adding new servers and extra capacity at a record pace every single day this week nonstop, but today exceeded even our most optimistic projections. Millions upon millions of new users are sending a message that privacy matters. We appreciate your patience,” it said in a series of tweets.

As WhatsApp started sending notifications to its users asking them to either accept its new policy or see their accounts removed from February 8, it came as a blessing in disguise for its rivals as Signal as it saw a massive flow of new users.

The rush led to extra burden on Signal servers.

Read more

“We are making progress towards getting the service back online. Privacy is our top priority, but adding capacity is a close second right now,” it said.

“We are still working as quickly as possible to bring additional capacity online to handle peak traffic levels”.

The encrypted messaging service has climbed to the top spot in the free apps category of the App Store in multiple countries, including India.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Today is the last day of free, original quality Google Photos backups for Pixel 2 devices – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


If you’ve got a Pixel 2 or 2 XL, January 16th is the last day to upload original quality pictures to Google Photos.

Free original quality Google Photos backups were perhaps one of the best perks Google ever offered with the Pixel series. For those unfamiliar with it, the original Pixel, Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 allowed users to backup their images and videos to Google Photos at original quality for free. The feature had a time limit, however — the Pixel 2 series’ limit ends today.

Typically, original quality backups count towards your Google One storage. Given enough time, you’d likely use up all your cloud storage and have to pay for more. Google Photos also offers a ‘high quality’ backup feature that compresses images and videos. They still look pretty good, but not as good as original quality. High quality backups currently don’t count towards your Google One storage, but that’s set to change in June.

It’s worth noting that starting with the Pixel 3a, Google only offered free high quality backups on Pixel devices. It’s not as good of a perk, but with the upcoming changes to high quality backups counting towards your storage cap, free high quality backups are definitely a perk.

As for the Pixel 2 and 2 XL, those devices had a three-year time span for free original quality uploads. That three-year cap expires on January 16th, 2021, making today the last day to upload photos at original quality without it counting towards your Google One storage.

Starting January 17th, Pixel 2 series users will need to pick between original quality and high quality — the former will start counting against your Google One storage, while the latter will remain free (even when the new Google Photos storage policy goes into effect in June).

To access the backup quality settings, open Photos on your device and tap your profile icon in the top-right corner. Then, select ‘Account storage’ or tap ‘Photos settings’ > ‘Backup and sync’ to select your quality setting.

Source: Google Via: Android Police

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending