About 5,500 accounts tied to the Canada Revenue Agency were compromised by two recent cyberattacks, the federal government said in a news release Saturday.
“Access to all affected accounts has been disabled to maintain the safety and security of taxpayers’ information and the Agency is contacting all affected individuals,” the release said.
The government and the RCMP are investigating to find out if there had been any privacy breaches and if information had been obtained from the accounts, the release said.
Iconic Ranchman's Cookhouse & Dancehall building up for lease – Calgary Herald
A legendary Calgary restaurant and club may be hanging up the saddle.
An MLS listing for the Ranchman’s Cookhouse & Dancehall building, located at 9615 Macleod Trail S.E., was posted Saturday by Calgary realtor Rob Campbell, advertising the property as available for lease “for the first time in its history.”
Two for-lease signs also appear on the outside of the 17,000-square-foot Calgary watering hole. One sign reads “temporarily closed,” and the business’s phone line is not active.
Ranchman’s has been synonymous with Calgary western culture since it first opened its doors on April 27, 1972, nearly 50 years ago.
The popular country nightclub draws large crowds during the Calgary Stampede and throughout the rest of the year. It has been named the Canadian Country Music Association’s “Country Club of the Year” 11 times.
The COVID-19 pandemic forced Ranchman’s to temporarily shut its doors on March 17, and it has remained closed since. Ranchman’s and other nightclubs are not permitted to reopen until Stage 3 of Alberta’s relaunch.
Ownership of the venue most recently traded hands in 2017, when Calgary bar scene mainstay Doug Rasberry purchased the property alongside a group of local business owners.
Ranchman’s representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.
Canadian Police Arrested a Man for Sleeping While His ‘Self-Driving’ Tesla Sped Down the Highway – Robb Report
We’ve all felt the need to catch 40 winks at inconvenient times, but one Candian man took his need for shut-eye to a whole new level.
Alberta police have formally charged a 20-year-old man who was caught asleep behind the wheel of his Tesla while the electric vehicle was speeding on autopilot. Authorities were alerted to the scene on the afternoon of July 9th by a caller who noted that both of the front seats were fully reclined with no visible operator. Sgt. Darrin Turnbull told CBC News on Thursday that the car was traveling 87mph in a zone with a speed limit of 68mph. Both the driver and the passenger appeared to be fully asleep, according to police.
“Nobody was looking out the windshield to see where the car was going,” Turnbull told CBC. “I’ve been in policing for over 23 years and the majority of that in traffic law enforcement, and I’m speechless. I’ve never, ever seen anything like this before, but of course, the technology wasn’t there.”
The car appeared to be driving on autopilot at more than 140 km/h, RCMP say. https://t.co/vU7dAGfwMC
— CBC News (@CBCNews) September 18, 2020
The model in question was a 2019 Tesla Model S, which has an array of autopilot features from auto-steer to “traffic-aware” cruise control, both of which were engaged when the car was stopped. But despite its name, the autopilot function still requires an active driver to monitor the road, making a lack of one remarkably dangerous all on its own. It turned out to be even more detrimental than the concerned police originally thought because once the officers activated their car’s emergency lights, the Tesla began accelerating and eventually reached a speed of 93mph, which was confirmed by a radar scan.
Officers eventually caught up with the vehicle and issued the sleeping driver a 24-hour license suspension for fatigue before an investigation resulted in a charge of dangerous driving. The driver received a court summons scheduled for this December. Fortunately, no one was injured as the incident ensued, but it acts as a serious cautionary tale as Tesla’s autopilot functions have come under sharp scrutiny for their potential links to more than one crash and related death.
No winning ticket sold in Saturday's $5M Lotto 649 draw – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
TORONTO — No winning ticket was sold for the $5 million jackpot in Saturday night’s Lotto 649 draw.
However, the guaranteed $1 million prize was claimed by a ticket holder in Quebec.
The jackpot for the next Lotto 649 draw on Sept. 23 will be approximately $6 million.
Northern towns push to approve Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet project – CTV Toronto
Art exhibit captures memories of a changing landscape through COVID-19 pandemic – NiagaraFallsReview.ca
LACKIE: There are signs of a softening real-estate market – Toronto Sun
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health21 hours ago
Three new outbreaks, 8 additional cases of COVID-19 in Waterloo Region – CTV Toronto
- Science14 hours ago
A new study finds that an iceberg may not have sunk the Titanic
- Tech14 hours ago
Sony says more PS5 consoles are on the way for preorder
- Business17 hours ago
Woman refuses to wear mask at LUSH, films altercation
- Tech7 hours ago
Sony apologizes for PS5 pre-order disaster — promises more stock soon – Tom's Guide
- Health15 hours ago
Health unit prepares for possible ‘twindemic’
- Tech20 hours ago
Apple Watch Series 6 ongoing review: SpO2 tracking and brighter screen – CNET
- Media15 hours ago
Hate-filled social media posts key to Rexdale mosque murder?