Dhruv Bhutani / Android Authority
🌞 Hey there! I’m on the way to the US next week for a work trip. I’ve already ordered a Pixel 7 Pro and case, seeing that Google doesn’t sell the phone here. Fingers crossed I have no major issues with the device once I’m home. Speaking of the new Pixels.
Pixel charging annoyances exposed
The best plans might not be enough
- Rita noted that Lebanon has frequent (if not daily) power cuts, while the nature of her trip meant that she didn’t have a predictable schedule.
- So keeping these devices charged might be a challenge.
- Fortunately, she brought along a few wall chargers, two large power banks, several USB-C cables, and the Pixel Watch charger.
- However, it turns out that even this plan was barely enough.
- “During the two weeks, I never ran out of juice on my Pixel 7 Pro or Pixel Watch, but I came close more often than I’d have liked.”
Slow charging is a problem
- We previously noted in our Pixel 7 Pro review that the phone charged incredibly slowly, taking over 100 minutes to top up.
- This was indeed a problem for Rita, as she seldom had a couple of hours to fully charge the device.
- “But most days I had to resort to small top-ups that barely nudged the percentage a few notches up.”
- This made Rita “obsessively” think about charging the Google phone.
- This obviously isn’t an issue when you’ve got stable electricity and time to spare, but it definitely pales in comparison to rival brands.
- “I often wished the Pixel offered a boost charging option — a button I could tap to get up to 50W or 65W of charging on demand.”
- I’d love to see something like this too. The phone could default to 20W charging in order to save juice but up the ante on your command.
Short battery life for the Pixel Watch
- Rita’s trip also brought the Pixel Watch’s relatively short battery life into relief.
- “I forgot to manually enable bedtime mode once and woke up to 37% of lost juice. I had to rethink my entire charging plan that morning.”
- By comparison, her husband’s Fitbit Versa only needed three charges during the entire stay.
- “For now, that kind of longevity seems to be unrealistic on a proper smartwatch, but we deserve more than just 24 hours.”
- It’s not all bad, though. Rita noted that these issues are only big annoyances if something unexpected happens to wreak havoc with your schedule.
- She also noted that the Pixel 7 Pro held on to power for longer than expected while the Pixel Buds Pro case was a great way to stay topped up.
- Either way, we’d recommend checking out our list of great power banks if you expect to be away from a working wall plug for a while.
Cash for cars website Clunker Junker has posted some rather cool infographics looking at the most loved and hated brands in both the US and around the world. The website used sentiment analysis based on tweets to come to their conclusions.
The most loved brand globally? Well, 21 countries voted for Tesla. As for the most hated brand globally? That would be Ford, with 20 countries giving it the unfortunate nod. Meanwhile, Maserati was apparently the most loved brand in the US while Fiat was at the bottom of the pile.
The analysis does raise some questions though. For example, here in South Africa, Lincoln was listed as the most hated brand. But I don’t think Lincoln is even sold here. Weird.
Have a great day!
Hadlee Simons, Editor
The Witcher's Geralt of Rivia drops into Fortnite with his mate Doom Slayer – Pocket-lint
(Pocket-lint) – Fortnite has always been the king of the crossover and now it’s at it again with Chapter 4 Season 1 with Geralt and Doom Slayer making an appearance.
The next big thing in Fortnite is now live with Chapter 4 Season 1 getting an all-new map and a whole lot more. One of those things is a new character called Selene, available from the get-go. But things will get interesting for The Witcher fans come mid-season when Epic Games adds Geralt of Rivia as Battle Pass skin.
As always, the Battle Pass costs 950 V-Bucks and as you progress through you’ll unlock items and whatnot. Geralt will be unlocked via that Battle Pass, as will Doom Slayer – of DOOM fame, of course. Other unlockable skins include Massai, Dusty, Nezumi, Helsie, and The Ageless. The Geralt unlock won’t be available until later on in the season, Epic says.
The latest season includes plenty of other tweaks and treats and makes use of Unreal Engine 5.1, making this the best-looking version of Fortnite to date on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.
All of this will take place on a brand-new island with new points of interest that include The Citadel, Anvil Square, and Brutal Bastion.
The new season of Fortnite is up and running right now and you can get involved yourself. You can play Fortnite on just about anything right now and the download is of course free.
Writing by Oliver Haslam.
‘Elden Ring’ Reveals Free PvP Colosseum Update, Hopefully Ahead Of DLC Announcement – Forbes
FromSoftware has just released a new trailer for an upcoming free update to Elden Ring that drops tomorrow, Wednesday December 7.
It’s a PvP-focused update to the game which will herd players into battles into the many colosseums doting the map, hence why it’s called the “Colosseum Update.” They just released a new trailer for it, which you can see below:
According to the official press release about the addition, we have some confirmation on what exactly the modes are that will be added:
“The Colosseums of Limgrave, Leyndell and Caelid will open their gates, allowing players to engage in battles such as duels, free-for-alls and team fights.”
In the trailer, we see a traditional 1v1 battle at the start, but it progresses to players fighting each other’s summons, and then finally a 3v3 team fight battle which is well beyond anything the game is currently capable of now.
Elden Ring has spent many months balancing all of its magic and weapon skills in an effort to try to create more parity in PvP, which has turned out to be a significant part of the game, and the core of the game’s endgame once you’ve done everything in PvE.
There is a theory that I personally subscribe to, that FromSoft is revealing this PvP update now and launching it tomorrow so it will not get drowned out by a potential announcement this Thursday at The Game Awards. There are rumblings, and fervent prayers, that this would be the stage in which they would finally announce sizable, PvE DLC for Elden Ring. We are well, well behind the pacing of past DLC announcements from FromSoft games, given that Elden Ring came out almost ten months ago now, but it’s obviously a bigger game than past ones. Elden Ring DLC repeatedly is brought up as the “World Premiere” at The Game Awards that everyone is hoping to see, and these days, with the demise of E3, it’s pretty much the biggest place in the industry to debut things, outside of first party PlayStation and Xbox showcases.
That’s the hope anyway, but the concrete facts right now are just that this PvP update will come tomorrow, so get your builds ready and find some teammates in order to take on the toughest PvP challenges in the game yet. Should be a lot of fun.
After Backlash, Overwatch 2's New Tank Will Be Easier To Unlock For Free – Kotaku
On Twitter, Overwatch 2 game director Aaron Keller tweeted that Blizzard had reviewed data from Season 1 and decided to move Ramattra from tier 55 to tier 45 in the battle pass. And some challenges will be made “easier” to complete.
“Hey, all! Quick update on some changes coming to Season 2,” said Keller. “After reviewing data for Season 1, we’re moving Ramattra into Tier 45 of the Battle Pass and making a few more weekly challenges easier to complete. Excited for you all to see everything new in Season 2 starting tomorrow!”
This is part of Blizzard’s ongoing efforts to make progression in the shooter “more rewarding.” Of course on Twitter, players were mixed. While many seemed happy about the change, others were still upset that the hero was locked behind such a high tier of the pass, suggesting a lower tier would be better.
Now, it should be noted that unlike in the original Overwatch—which added all characters for free for all players with no restrictions—Ramattra will still be locked behind a paywall unless you grind. But at least now the grind will be less terrible and once you hit 45 you can stop focusing on challenges and the battle pass and just enjoy your new character. Well, unless Blizzard removes him like Mei or Bastion for a few weeks.
Flu surges on heels of RSV, COVID-19 to overwhelm children’s hospitals in Canada – Stettler Independent
Heading Into 2023 Media And Tech Companies Are Tightening Their Belts – Forbes
Darnell Nurse sounds off on Edmonton Oilers slow starts after Stuart Skinner faces 50 shots – TSN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Science24 hours ago
Clamshells Face the Acid Test
News19 hours ago
‘Bumbling and stumbling’: Alberta’s UCP caucus votes for changes to sovereignty bill
News22 hours ago
Canada ‘watching closely’ as U.S. pressed to fix Inflation Reduction Act ‘glitches’
Tech21 hours ago
What Does It Mean for a Slot Machine to Be Honest?
News22 hours ago
Federal Court set to hear case about repatriating Canadians detained in Syria
News21 hours ago
Polytechnique announces 2022 Order of the White Rose scholarship recipient
Economy15 hours ago
A Look At Canada’s Growing Economy
Sports16 hours ago
The Most Famous Online Slots for Canadian Players