Connect with us

Health

Ontario sets new single-day high with 700 cases of COVID-19 – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Chris Fox, CP24.com


Published Monday, September 28, 2020 10:30AM EDT


Last Updated Monday, September 28, 2020 10:48AM EDT

Ontario is reporting a record 700 new cases of COVID-19 with nearly half of them in Toronto.

It’s the highest daily count ever recorded in Ontario, surpassing the 640 cases confirmed on April 24.

It should, however, be noted that the province was testing far fewer people this spring and those numbers might not have fully captured the degree to which the virus was present at the time.

For example, the previous high of 640 cases was based on the completion of more than 12,000 individual tests, translating into a positive percentage of five per cent. Meanwhile, the 700 cases confirmed on Monday came on more than 41,000 tests. That translates into a positive percentage of about 1.7 per cent.

Of the new cases confirmed on Monday, roughly three-quarters of them were in the Greater Toronto Area (526 cases), continuing a recent trend.

Toronto alone had 344 cases while Peel Region had 104 cases, York Region had 56 cases, Durham Region had seven cases and Halton Region had 15 cases.

More to come…

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 outbreak declared in 3rd unit of St. Boniface Hospital – CBC.ca

Published

 on


More cases of COVID-19 were discovered in a third unit of Winnipeg’s St. Boniface Hospital, according to an internal memo.

In a letter to all staff and physicians on Friday, the hospital’s president and CEO Martine Bouchard wrote that management declared a COVID-19 outbreak in the B5 unit.

Anyone who was exposed will be told to self-isolate and be tested as the origin of the transmission is investigated.

Last week, outbreaks were declared in the E5 and E6 medical units. As of Wednesday, 11 patients and five staff had tested positive.

CBC News has reached out to Shared Health and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority for updated numbers of cases.

No new patients will be admitted to those units for now.

The hospital is still open, and clinics and procedures are continuing. 

However, visitors will not be allowed in those units until further notice.

On Thursday, another outbreak was declared in two units of Victoria General Hospital in Winnipeg.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Latest developments in the Greater Toronto Area on Oct. 23 – Global News

Published

 on


Here are the latest developments on the coronavirus pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area for Friday:

Toronto COVID-19 case numbers continue to rise

The City of Toronto said there were 317 new coronavirus cases Friday, bringing the city’s total to 25,913. There are 123 people hospitalized, which is an increase of 17 people from Thursday.

Story continues below advertisement

Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto declares COVID-19 outbreak in surgical unit

Sunnybrook Hospital says a coronavirus outbreak has been declared in a surgical unit after five cases of the virus were identified.

“All outbreak control measures are in place and there has been no transmission to other patient care areas of the hospital,” a spokesperson for the hospital told Global News.

All of the infected patients are asymptomatic, the hospital said, adding that four patients remain in hospital and one was discharged.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Sunnybrook remains open for all scheduled clinics and procedures and emergency visits, the spokesperson said.

Read more:
Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto declares COVID-19 outbreak in surgical unit

Ontario reported 826 new COVID-19 cases on Friday

Ontario reported 826 new cases of coronavirus on Friday, bringing the provincial total to 68,353. Active cases in Ontario now stand at 6,474.

According to Friday’s provincial report, 292 new cases were recorded in Toronto, 186 in Peel Region, 87 in Ottawa, 72 in York Region, and 38 in Durham Region.

All other public health units in Ontario reported under 35 new cases.

Story continues below advertisement

Nine more deaths were recorded totaling 3,080 deaths in Ontario. More than 40,000 tests were processed in the last 24 hours. Resolved cases increased by 733 from the previous day.

Read more:
Ontario reports 826 new coronavirus cases, 9 more deaths

Ontario long-term care homes

According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, there have been 1,913 deaths reported among residents and patients in long-term care homes across Ontario, which is an increase of three deaths since the previous day. Eight health-care workers and staff in long-term care homes have died.

There are 77 current outbreaks in homes, an decrease of three.

The ministry also indicated there are currently 229 active cases among long-term care residents and 237 active cases among staff — up by 23 and down by six cases respectively in the last day.

Ontario long-term care commission provides government recommendations for 2nd wave in homes

Ontario’s independent commission into long-term care in the province has released early recommendations for the Ford government to implement as the second wave of the coronavirus is in full swing.

The report found that in the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, 55 per cent of long-term care homes in the province reported an outbreak, while 75 per cent of all deaths were represented by long-term care residents.

Story continues below advertisement

Earlier findings found that long-term care homes in the province suffered from staffing shortages, and a lack of strong infection and prevention and control measures (IPAC), among other things.

Read more:
Ontario long-term care commission provides government recommendations for 2nd wave in homes

Ontario child care centres and schools

Meanwhile, government figures show there have been a total of 1,698 school-related COVID-19 cases in Ontario — 946 among students and 245 among staff (507 individuals were not identified). This is an increase of 72 more cases from the previous day.

In the last 14 days, the province indicates there are 440 cases reported among students and 95 cases among staff (261 individuals were not identified) — totaling 796 cases.

The COVID-19 cases are currently from 514 out of 4,828 schools in the province. Five schools in Ontario are currently closed as a result of positive cases, the government indicated.

There have been a total of 357 confirmed cases within child care centres and homes — an increase of eight (four new child cases and four new staff cases). Out of 5,231 child care centres in Ontario, 133 currently have cases and 50 centres are closed.

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 in B.C.: Surge in new cases sets another record, as Dr. Bonnie Henry warns social events may be restricted – The Georgia Straight

Published

 on


British Columbia is seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases, which may result in more restrictions being implemented in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

At today’s briefing, B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the province has reached a “critical time” as we enter influenza season.

As mentioned in her news release yesterday, she once again emphasized that social gatherings, including weddings and other celebrations, are directly linked to increased case numbers, resulting in clusters and outbreaks that are spreading to the healthcare system.

What they are seeing, she said for example, are events that are being planned for thirty to forty people but wind up experiencing unexpected developments, such as extra guests arriving, plans changing, or difficulties in limiting the number of attendees. At these events, she said, guests have wound up mixing and interacting, which leads to transmission.

Event organizers are also informing her that they are experiencing pressure or problems in controlling numbers of people and she added issues related to party buses and limousines are arising once again, as well as people attending multiple events with different groups of people. 

While she thanked the majority of people for doing the right thing and she recognized the importance of these social events, she also issued a warning.

“While I am reluctant to do so, if there is a major source of transmission, additional measures can and will be put in place if they’re needed,” she said.

She explained that could include adding conditions for wedding licenses, placing restrictions on numbers of people for indoor gatherings, or using other measures that would prevent large transmission events from developing.

In addition, she said they are seeing transmission related to businesses and large workplaces—in lunchrooms, carpools, and work interactions.

Accordingly, she asked employers to review their workplace safety plans as WorkSafeBC, environmental health teams, and enhanced enforcement will increase inspections in the coming weeks.

She reminded people to keep social numbers limited, with a maximum of six contacts outside immediate households.

Henry announced that there are 274 new cases (including one epi-linked case) in B.C. today.

This is the third time this week that the province has set a record for new case counts. The previous records were 174 new cases confirmed on October 19, followed by 203 new cases reported yesterday (October 21).

Active cases continue to climb for yet another consecutive day. The province is now up to 1,920 active cases—up 154 cases since yesterday.

Also once again, hospitalized cases only increased by one patient, this time to 71 people in hospital, with 24 patients in intensive care units (also once again an increase of three patients).

Public health is monitoring 4,425 people (due to exposure to confirmed cases), which an increase of 131 people from yesterday.

There aren’t any new community outbreaks.

Although Henry didn’t announce any new healthcare outbreaks during the briefing, one new healthcare outbreak—at the Dr. Al Hogg Pavilion (15521 Russell Avenue) at Peace Arch Hospital in White Rock—was later announced in her daily news release.

The outbreak at the Weinberg Residence Senior Home in Vancouver has been declared over.

Active outbreaks are now in 20 healthcare facilities (18 longterm care facilities and two intensive care units). There have been 950 cases (546 residents and 404 staff) involved in healthcare outbreaks during the pandemic.

With no new deaths announced, the death toll remains at 256 people who have died during the pandemic.

A cumulative total of 10,114 people (82 percent of all cases) are now considered recovered.

During the pandemic, there has been a cumulative total of 12,331 cases reported in B.C., including:

  • 6,725 in Fraser Health;
  • 4,260 in Vancouver Coastal Health;
  • 644 in Interior Health;
  • 365 in Northern Health;
  • 249 in Island Health;
  • 88 people from outside Canada.
École de l’Anse-au-sable in Kelowna

The province declared its first outbreak at a school—at at École de l’Anse-au-sable (675 Lequime Road) in Kelowna—yesterday.

In this outbreak, Henry said that three cases were identified yesterday but that number has grown to a total of five cases today, with 160 people at home in self-isolation.

The cases are unlinked transmissions within the school, which Henry explained means that how these individuals contracted COVID-19 (or identifying which individuals transmitted the virus to other individuals) remains to be determined during the ongoing health investigation.

Henry pointed out that with over 2,000 schools in the province, there have been 213 exposures events in schools, which includes six clusters. (She explained that clusters defined as more than one person, who has been exposed, has been confirmed with COVID-19 within a school.)

She said that approximately one-third of cases have been among staff while two-thirds have been among students, and the majority have been in the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions, which have the largest numbers of schools and students.

She also pointed out that the majority of the exposure events in schools have not led to transmission to anyone else testing positive.

École Anne-Hébert Elementary School in Vancouver

Vancouver Coastal Health added two schools with new exposures, both in Vancouver:

  • John Henderson Elementary (451 E 53rd Avenue) had an exposure on October 13;
  • École Anne-Hébert Elementary School (7051 Killarney Street) had exposures on October 15 and 16.

Meanwhile, Fraser Health added eight schools with new exposure events.

In Burnaby, Lakeview Elementary (7777 Mayfield Street) had exposures from October 13 to 14.

In Coquitlam, École Banting Middle School (820 Banting Street) had exposures from October 13 to 14.

in Surrey, Senator Reid Elementary (9341 126th Street) had an exposure on October 13.

In Port Moody, Port Moody Secondary (300 Albert Street) had an exposure on October 13.

In Langley, two schools were added:

  • Dorothy Peacock Elementary (20292 91a Avenue) had an exposure on October 9;
  • Langley Secondary School (21405 56th Avenue) had exposures from October 13 to 15.

In Abbotsford, two schools were added:

  • Mountain Elementary (2299 Mountain Drive) had an exposure event from October 6 to 8;
  • Dave Kandal Elementary (3351 Crestview Avenue) had exposures on October 15 and 16.

Island Health reported its second exposure incident in a school, which is also in Port Alberni: Wood Elementary (4111 Wood Avenue) in Port Alberni, with an exposure on October 19. (The only previous exposure in a school on Vancouver Island was at Alberni District School in Port Alberni on September 14, 15, 17, 18, and 22).

Dorothy Peacock Elementary in Langley

Sobeys announced on October 21 that an employee at Safeway (2315 West 4th Avenue) in Kitsilano in Vancouver, who last worked at the location on October 18, has tested positive.

Fraser Health has listed an exposure event at the Jolly Coachman Pub (19167 Ford Road) in Pitt Meadows from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from October 9 to 11; 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. on October 12; and 5 to 11 p.m. on October 14.

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) added these three flights confirmed with COVID-19 to its list:

  • October 14: WestJet 637, Calgary to Abbotsford, affected rows 9 to 15;
  • October 16: Lufthansa 492, Frankfurt to Vancouver, affected rows 18 to 24;
  • October 19: Air Canada 8484, Vancouver to Edmonton, affected rows 7 to 13.

Anyone in the affected rows should monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days from the flight date and if you develop symptoms, immediately self-isolate and call 811 (if in B.C.) or your local healthcare provider for testing information.

More

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending