Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will hit the United States with retaliatory tariffs starting September 8, matching Washington’s new 50 percent levy on roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods “dollar for dollar.” Trade talks between the two countries collapsed late last week, and Carney did not soften the language: “You’re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked.”
Coverage of that quote and the September 8 date has been extensive. What’s had almost no attention is the backdrop this fight is unfolding against: seven weeks earlier, Canada, the U.S. and Mexico held the six-year review the USMCA/CUSMA agreement itself requires — and the United States walked away from it without agreeing to keep the deal running.
A trade deal already in limbo
Under Article 34.7 of the agreement, the three countries were required to hold a joint review by July 1, 2026, and decide whether to extend it for another 16 years. When that date arrived, the U.S. Trade Representative’s office said Washington would not confirm renewal “in its current form.” The agreement didn’t collapse outright — a 16-year extension remains available at any point if all three governments sign off — but the review now resets annually, running each July until the deal’s built-in 2036 expiration, unless the three sides agree otherwise sooner.
That timeline means the tariffs Carney is now retaliating against, and the retaliation itself, are landing inside a trade relationship whose foundational agreement is already unresolved. None of the mainstream coverage of this week’s escalation — from Carney’s “at war” remark to the specific list of targeted goods — has connected the two stories, even though they involve the same negotiating table.
Why 2018 doesn’t offer a clean playbook this time
Canada has been here before, and the differences matter. When the U.S. imposed steel and aluminum tariffs in May 2018, Canada retaliated within days on $12.6 billion of American goods, deliberately targeting politically sensitive products — Wisconsin cheese, Kentucky bourbon — to pressure U.S. lawmakers. That standoff lasted almost exactly a year. It ended in May 2019, but not because either side simply backed down: the tariffs came off specifically as part of ratifying the original USMCA, the new continental trade deal both governments needed to get through their legislatures.
That’s the piece missing from most current coverage. In 2018-19, there was a new deal on the table that gave both governments a reason to make peace on tariffs — lifting them was the price of getting USMCA ratified. This time, the trade agreement isn’t newly arriving; it’s the thing already stalled. There’s no pending ratification vote to serve as the natural off-ramp this dispute resolved through last time.
What’s actually being taxed, and what to watch
The retaliatory list Carney announced covers U.S. steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, and electronics, mirroring sectors the U.S. targeted in its own $20-billion round covering products including Canadian steel, cement and hockey sticks. Both packages take effect on set dates rather than immediately, leaving a short window — until September 8 — where further talks are technically still possible.
The open question the daily coverage hasn’t posed: with no new agreement waiting to be ratified this time, what actually ends this round? The 2018-19 dispute had a built-in resolution mechanism. Absent one now, either side would have to climb down without the cover of signing something new — or this dispute simply becomes the opening act of the annual CUSMA review process running until 2036.
via NPR (https://www.npr.org/2026/08/22/nx-s1-5941584/us-canada-tariffs)
