With recent tests showing that putting Windows onto Apple Silicon absolutely spanks the performance currently available on Qualcomm-made processors, one could be forgiven for thinking Qualcomm was apprehensive about its future desktop prospects.
However, Qualcomm SVP and general manager for mobile, compute, and infrastructure Alex Katouzian told journalists on Wednesday that the new chip was a validation for putting mobile chips into laptops.
“As we’ve seen during the pandemic age and I think this is going to continue for many years to come, video conferencing and remote working locations are going to become more and more important which means you have to have the capability of great video conferencing, you have to have the camera capability, you have to have the longevity of the battery, you should be able to work from any place that you are, inside your house or outside your house, and reach your work environment in a secure fashion,” he said.
“All of those things are validation of what we’ve been preaching and I think the strength is going to come from the fact that our partnership with Microsoft is going to be much stronger and extended into the future.
“I think many, many parties realise that the Windows-based ecosystem needs a boost like this, and we’re the partner of choice to make that happen — so, it’s a great opportunity and a great validation for Qualcomm.”
Hours earlier, Qualcomm took the wraps off its new Snapdragon 888 chip, which will support 5G at millimetre-wave and sub-6GHz frequencies on “all major bands worldwide”. It will also support carrier aggregation, standalone and non-standalone modes, and dynamic spectrum sharing.
The company said it “completely re-engineered” its Hexagon processor that can now perform at 26 tera operations per second and updated its Sensing Hub to allow for lower-power, always-on AI processing.
On the image front, the chip can capture photos and video at 2.7 gigapixels per second, a 35% boost on the prior generation.
A notable absence among the list of Android phone makers that said they would use the 888 was Samsung. Those on the list included Asus, Lenovo, LG, Meizu, Motorola, Nubia, Realme, OnePlus, Oppo, Sharp, Vivo, Xiaomi, and ZTE.
Last month, it was reported the United States had granted approval to Qualcomm to sell 4G chips for mobile phones to Huawei.
Speaking on Wednesday, Qualcomm president Cristiano Amon said the company was in the fortunate position of being able to “meet the objectives of both sides” of the trade war.
“We look at ourselves as probably a company that provides a lot of stability … in our sector of technology between the two countries, so I think if you look in the essence of our business model, we have a licensing business model. We don’t need to transfer technology. We open license that technology, and there’s respect of intellectual property which is consistent with some of the United States’ claims,” Amon said.
“I think all of our customers in China are licensed, and when we see the respect of intellectual property, we provide export of semiconductors which is in, from my United States perspective, it’s in the direction of increasing commerce of exports to China.
“We allow the China ecosystem with the Belt and Road Initiative building, on our platform, the mobile ecosystem of China to not only support the transition of China domestic to 5G, but to expand to other markets.”
Betsson Secures a 50% Stake in JDP Tech – Looking to Boost Growth in Latin America
Swedish iGaming giant Betsson has recently invested heavily into expanding into new markets as it seeks to continue to grow its business. The online sports betting and casino operator acquired a 50% stake in JDP Tech, a company offering payment processing focused on the South American market.
Through Betsson Perch Investments, a subsidiary of Betsson, the iGaming operator paid a total of €8.8 million in shares to JDP tech in order to obtain a 50% stake. JD Tech is a software development company focusing on payment processing solutions, a vital part of any iGaming company.
According to Pontus Lindwall, CEO of Betsson, the deal is an integral part of Betsson’s long term strategy. He said: “This is a strategically important region for Betsson, and we see great potential for the company in the long term. With this major investment, Betsson is well-positioned to further expand our business in the Latin American online gaming market.”
Why Payment processing is Important for the Latin American Market
Payment processing is important in any market, with consumers preferring to use sites that offer fast and secure payments without complicated requirements or rules. In Latin America, the iGaming market is expanding rapidly, and there’s a need for sites offering convenient payments.
Latin American users expect to be able to deposit funds to their account quickly using their preferred method, and withdrawals should be fast and simple too. It’s important that iGaming sites listen to the needs of the consumers and ensure that a wide range of popular payment methods are supported. For this, good payment processing software is an integral part of a site.
Latin American consumers have a growing number of options to choose from when it comes to iGaming, so they’re likely to join a competitor if the site they’re using doesn’t offer the kind of service they expect.
How Betsson Aims to Expand in Latin America
Betsson has been targeted the Latin American market for some time now, and this recent acquisition represents part of the company’s long-term strategy in this area of the world. In 2019, Betsson purchased a 75% stake in Suaposta, a Brazillian sports betting operator. This move came shortly after Brazil passed new sports betting regulations and aimed to put Betsson in the best position for the deregulation of the sports betting market.
Last year, Betsson also entered the Colombian market, buying a 70% stake in Colbet as it looked to expand its South American operations. In addition to this, Betsson is aiming to obtain an operating licence in Buenos Ares, Argentina.
In Mexico, the Swedish betting giant entered into a partnership with Big Bola Casinos, aiming to launch a sports betting service in later 2021. Big Bola Casinos is one of the few gambling operators licenced by the government of Mexico, giving Betsson an excellent opportunity to establish itself in a relatively undeveloped market.
These moves show that Betsson is serious about entering the Latin American market and is looking to become one of the biggest sports betting operators in the area. Through continued investments and partnerships, Betsson has taken steps to grow its business and bringing safe and convenient sports betting to a wider market.
After an initial slow start, Victorian over 50s are turning out to get their COVID jabs – ABC News
Brenda Holt would have been at the front of the line to get her COVID vaccination this morning, except there was no line.
- All Australians over 50 are eligible for the AstraZeneca shot today
- Victoria’s mass vaccination hubs were all reporting wait times of under 15 minutes this morning
- People are being told to wait 14 days between the flu vaccination and the COVID vaccination
Brenda walked right on in to Melbourne’s Royal Exhibition Building vaccination hub, got her jab and left with a tear in her eye as she moved a tiny step closer to being able to visit her family in Texas.
Anyone over the age of 50 can now get the AstraZeneca vaccine at a mass vaccination clinic but, in Melbourne at least, it was a seemingly slow start.
Wait times of under 15 minutes were being reported for people who arrived without an appointment at all of the high-volume vaccination centres in Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat this morning.
By midday, wait times had stretched to more than an hour at the Exhibition Building, the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, and the Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital.
The state health department said the Royal Exhibition Building was booked out for appointments, and it was experiencing very high call volumes through its vaccine phone booking service.
Brenda expected more people to be waiting in line early to get the jab when the centres opened.
“I just am shocked and really disappointed,” Brenda said.
“I think that we’re in a bit of a bubble here in Australia, we don’t understand how devastating it’s been, and it’s not real to us.
“We’ve been so lucky and we’ve handled this so well until the vaccination rollout, I have no idea why it’s taken so long.”
Everyone who booked will be vaccinated
Jeroen Weimar, Victoria’s COVID-19 Response Commander, said by lunchtime, 8,500 people had called the COVID-19 hotline to make a booking.
“At the moment, what we’re seeing is a really healthy demand for people coming out who want to get vaccinated,” he said.
“Everybody who’s got an appointment today will be vaccinated today. Everyone in line will get a vaccination today.”
If the queues were too long at the end of the day, Mr Weimar said people would be asked to come back the next day.
The Box Hill Hospital vaccination centre, in Melbourne’s east, was very busy in the morning and some people were asked to go to a nearby clinic at Ringwood East, Mr Weimar said.
He said there were wait times of up to 90 minutes for some people who had not booked appointments at the large vaccination centres.
With a staff of 700 people handling the calls, he said the operation would be scaled up as appropriate.
“We will quite happily put hundreds more people into the phone lines if the demand is there to book vaccinations,” Mr Weimar said.
“My request for Victorians would be, if you’re eligible, come forward now so we can get you vaccinated.
“Let’s have a really busy few weeks and months and then we can get on and get the rest of the community done.”
So far, 520,000 Victorians have received their first dose of a vaccine.
There are now six high-volume vaccination hubs operating in Victoria, at the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, the former Ford Factory in Geelong, the Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Sunshine Hospital and Mercure Ballarat.
Another 15 vaccination centres have opened today at these locations:
- Bendigo Hospital
- Latrobe Regional Hospital – Traralgon Racecourse
- Albury Wodonga Health – Wodonga Community vaccination clinic
- GV Health – Shepparton Showgrounds, McIntosh Centre
- Eastern Health – Box Hill
- Eastern Health – Ringwood East Community Clinic*
- Northern Health – Epping
- Monash Health – Monash Medical Centre*
- Monash Health – Dandenong*
- Monash Health – Kingston*
- Monash Health – Moorabbin*
- St John of God Hospital – Berwick*
- Peninsula Health – Rosebud Hospital*
- Peninsula Health – Frankston*
- Austin Health – Olivia Newton-John Centre*
(* Phone bookings only initially, no walk-ins)
Another mass vaccination hub will open tomorrow at the Cranbourne Turf Club.
There are about two million Victorians now eligible to get the COVID vaccination.
The majority being vaccinated now are receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, with a limited number of people under 50 in the 1a and 1b priority groups getting the Pfizer vaccine.
Epidemiologist Catherine Bennett said there may be some hesitancy to get the AstraZeneca vaccine, given reports of blood clots in a small number of people.
“As more people take up the vaccine, I think other people will then think yeah, there’s a lot of benefits of this, and my friends are fine, and I’m OK with this,” she said.
Professor Bennett said the vaccination scheme was starting to gather speed after a slow start.
“We’ve actually had four times as many jabs go out in the last four weeks, as did in the previous first six weeks of the rollout,” she said.
“And in another two weeks, it steps up again, because that’s when they can also access the vaccine through their GP.”
Brenda said she understood the hesitancy some people might feel about the COVID vaccine, but the risk was small.
“Any of us who’ve taken any drugs at any time, I mean you take a risk and I think the risk of what this vaccine can do compared to what COVID could do to you are pretty stark,” she said.
Dianne McKenzie was also among those getting vaccinated at the Royal Exhibition Building, and said she felt a sense of relief.
“Gotta say I’m really grateful, because I’ve been trying to keep safe, trying to keep my elderly mum safe by staying away from people, and this feels like a little bit of extra protection so I can stop worrying about myself and worrying about her and relax a little bit after a hard year,” she said.
Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp urged people to follow the advice of doctors after receiving her vaccine dose at the Convention and Exhibition Centre.
“The scariest part is actually admitting publicly that you are 50,” she said.
“If that’s the scariest bit then we’re going to be OK. We know that all of the health experts have said that AstraZeneca is effective and I think it’s really important that we keep listening to that health advice.”
The Victorian health department is also recommending people who have had the flu vaccine wait for two weeks before receiving the COVID vaccine.
The department said there was no evidence the two vaccinations interact with each other, but if a person does have a reaction, the 14-day time frame would make it clear which vaccine they have reacted to.
Woodbine Racetrack will host a number of Pop-Up COVID-19 vaccine clinics this week – Vancouver Is Awesome
TORONTO — Woodbine Racetrack will be the site for a pop-up COVID-19 vaccine clinic this week.
Woodbine Entertainment announced Monday the clinic at the racetrack will begin Wednesday for the Rexdale community. The clinic will operate for at least three days and will be open to those 18 years and older living in ‘hot spot’ communities in M9V and M9W postal codes.
“We are very proud and grateful to be able to host this much needed pop-up clinic at Woodbine Racetrack for the Rexdale community,” Woodbine CEO Jim Lawson said in a statement. “We look forward to working with our community partners over the coming days to deliver a positive experience that will benefit people throughout Rexdale.”
The clinic will also be open to frontline essential workers who provide daily care to horses stabled at Woodbine Racetrack.
“These workers are critical to the wellbeing of more than 1,000 horses and obviously cannot work from home. Many of them live in dormitories on our property and in the surrounding areas,” said Lawson.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 3, 2021.
The Canadian Press
Canada sends medical supplies to India as COVID-19 overwhelms country’s health care – Global News
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Wednesday – CBC.ca
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada for Wednesday, May 5, 2021 – moosejawtoday.com
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Health13 hours ago
Alberta confirms first death linked to AstraZeneca vaccine
News16 hours ago
Canada taken to court over COVID policy that pushes asylum-seekers to U.S.
News15 hours ago
Alberta toughens COVID-19 restrictions
News15 hours ago
New Zealand parliament says Uyghur rights abuses taking place in China
Economy11 hours ago
Canadian dollar posts three-year high as risk appetite climbs
Economy15 hours ago
Surging Demand for Gold Leaves Mints in Need of Supply
Health11 hours ago
Younger people filling up COVID-19 intensive care
Media12 hours ago
Britney Spears calls recent documentaries about her ‘hypocritical’